Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

I haven't played the game in ages so I can't get you any specific moves that can beat out wake-up kicks. I think a few 9Ks did. Jann Lee comes to mind.

If you stop a juggle combo a bit early and do two low hits on your opponents body as it hits the ground you can force them to stand eliminating the wake-up kick altogether.
that also normally puts you at an positive state and allows for further pressure and mixups.

Depends on how you define balance and balancing, this is because an effort to balance can often times lead to a watered down game with a generic playstyle. Throughout the history of competitive fighting games, we've had examples of games that were balanced in terms of character viability but did so at the cost of playstyle viability. For example, Vampire Savior is considered to be one of the most balanced fighting games ever made, but most players will admit that this was at the cost of certain playstyles (in favor of all out rushdown). Happily, the system in VS was deep enough for it to be played for years. Then there's Marvel vs. SF which went against form and was actually a Marvel game that was free from almost all forms of bullshit and infinites, but this was at the cost of making it so that almost every character played exactly alike (and had one basic gameplan). Unlike VS, MsH was never considered deep (due in part to how neutered everyone was) and was shunned competitively.

Compare the above to games like MvC2 or 3rd Strike. In the formers case, despite having only 14-16 out of 56 characters considered viable, the fact that multiple playstyles can succeed in tournaments means that, once you get past any character loyalty, you can find a viable team that fits how you play. Either that, or you can build a team around your favorite character and still win (i.e. Megaman/Blackheart/Cable for those MM fans). For 3rd Strike, despite the seeming dominance of a few characters (Yun, Chun), the upper and middle tiers have a decent mix of playstyles and interesting characters (Makoto, Urien, Dudley, Oro, etc.), and the system itself (parries) eases the difficulty of the matchups somewhat.

On a related note, an informal study done by Maj of SonicHurricane.com shows that the tournament classics, as far as EVO is concerned have more often than not been more about having a small number of interesting matchups than overall balance (at the cost of interesting matchups).

I just think that if you put in the time and effort into becoming really good with a character then you should have as much of a fighting chance as anyone else. Who you pick on that select screen shouldn't decide the battle, your skill should. Half of a roster shouldn't be unviable because they weren't given the tools to compete with the other half. Why is that necessary? Hard work doesn't make a bad character less bad either, it just means you're doing good with a bad character IMO.

Does anyone want to hear the good and the bad ? I dont want to spoil anything for anyone...
Tell Me EVERYTHING!
Popcorn-15-Scary-Movie.gif

wow Mr Wah is one of the make your move contest winners (no shame) Why am I not surprised.

Well DOA 5 is a mixed bag of emotions for me. Obviously I was really looking forward to it, and I am looking forward to sep 25 so there will more online action, but I am not overwhelmed with joy, lets just say that.

Still it's a good game. The biggest complain right now, is the lack of cool costumes, as a lot of them are just color swaps, sorta wish we at least had color customization if they were going to make so many of the outfits which are a pain in the ass to collect just color swaps!

The Story is very very very very Campy....

and... I dont know, it's a mix bag of emotions for me right now, i need more time...

So have you played online at all? I don't want to buy it and the online be crappy with only a few people on it.

I like campy so i dont see it as bad, but it is quite campy at times.... But that is the charm of DOA, I really feel most people will be annoyed that we couldn't have least gotten the option to color the outfits, since a lot of them are color swaps... And tedious to collect.. And there are other issues I am having with it, but I dont want to frown anyones hype!

I like campy so i dont see it as bad, but it is quite campy at times.... But that is the charm of DOA, I really feel most people will be annoyed that we couldn't have least gotten the option to color the outfits, since a lot of them are color swaps... And tedious to collect.. And there are other issues I am having with it, but I dont want to frown anyones hype!

Just quote it under spoiler...people who dont wanna get spoiled skip it away...but as far as i read your posts.
Could it be that you expected just a "lil" bit to much from the game?
I mean...everyone who played DoA series know..that were and will be never a customization option.
Just hit your character up and play=DoA
I dont mind really, im ok with just a cool outfit..as long as i have fun with that game/character.
But its nothing new that the story is campy like always...dont get upset..try to enjoy the game! ;)
Hmm...its not so far till the release..but i`d like to hear more of the story mode or the other characters(alpha or the last boss)...if there are really more character like hayashi said...

There's some effort in the story mode, but ultimately, its as bad as Ninja Gaiden's, so I don't think it matters too much. There's a few really corny scenes here and there and the typical DoA below-the-belt Japanese humor too.

As far as the tutorial/practice modes, it's barely there. More effort than SC5's certainly; but there's not that much information on move properties, so you'll have to figure it all out yourself. There is a command training mode in the game which you can try out and, once completed, unlocks a system voice for each character.

There's quite a few costumes for each character. A lot of them are color swaps (Lei-Fang is a bigger victim of this) and a few of them are minor alterations to one of their costumes. There's a few unique ones, though (Kasumi has a tied up blue kimono), and if you complete the game on the hardest setting for the girls, you'll unlock a bikini that's not from the CE or from the Pre-order bonuses. Some of them are more... scandalous than the CE swim wear. There's also one hidden stage that can be unlocked for tag battles and one-on-ones.

Beyond that, typical DoA package. Focus on the gameplay and less on the frills. Feels like the game is a bit too samey from previous DoA games and the new mechanics (Critical Bursts, Power Blows) barely alter the landscape as much as it should have. Its a little interesting that you can still counter hold while under red stuns, (but you can't if you're just slightly off the ground).

Kokoro doesn't have much new stuff. She has a new stance (Heichu), which is basically a cancel from her normal strings into a stun/power finisher. You can delay it slightly and it each one the attacks from stance can hit either high, mid or low. All of them can be sidestepped. She doesn't have her amazing sidestep or 22_88P anymore, and her 8P6P is still one her best moves for stuns. It looks like she can keep you guessing really well as she can still cancel into throws from certain strings, or cancel into Heichu. If you think your opponent is going to sidestep, you can throw. If your opponent is freezing up from pressure (ha), push a Heichu option. Seems pretty good for options, but throws might be better.

I just think that if you put in the time and effort into becoming really good with a character then you should have as much of a fighting chance as anyone else. Who you pick on that select screen shouldn't decide the battle, your skill should. Half of a roster shouldn't be unviable because they weren't given the tools to compete with the other half. Why is that necessary? Hard work doesn't make a bad character less bad either, it just means you're doing good with a bad character IMO.
Because that often happens at the cost of interesting playstyles. The more different the characters are, the bigger the chances of certain characters being better than others.

Back