Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

I must be REALLY unlucky though. I'm not even exaggerating. I think I got to select the stage maybe 2 times in all the matches I've played.

Loser picks stage.

The game's calling you a winner!

no, I dunno. in simple/lobby at least, loser picks stage. In ranked, or the very first simple/lobby match, I dunno.

I just end up picking random anyway...

I love that you can filter out what gets picked in random select though. I filtered out the circus stage.

... because I hate the music. yeah, I know. We don't get a techno remix or anything, they're just playing it straight?!

Lows that stun are scary.

Helena has a few, and also that stun extension trick. And what feels like a couple of frame traps. How is she bad, again?

She does have some really nice stuff, but she's got a lot going against her too. A lot of her punches are mid, she has 3 moves that give her frame advantage I believe, only one of which doesn't require a lengthy charge. I think almost every other character has more/better frame advantage attacks than Helena. A lot of her strings end with her being very negative, in other words she can be throw punished more than anyone else in the cast. She also has an 11frame jab where most of the cast's is 10frame. What she does have in her favor is some of the best side step attacks, some good stun mixups, and 2 great crushes in P+K and 33P.

I'm also finding I really like her wall game. But that's mostly because her "psuedo-force tech"(as Black Mamba calls it) is great for resets, mixups, and extra wall bounces. Seriously, if you don't guess right, Helena can just keep bouncing you off a wall for huge chunks of damage. When I get someone to a wall, it's usually over half their life gone(We Tekken now). Also, it bugs me how I've seen Mamba getting credit for finding the force tech when I was using it about a week before he made that post and learned it from watching CodeMaster in the PeacefulJay stream. If anyone should get credit for finding that 6P force tech, it's CodeMaster.

She does have some really nice stuff, but she's got a lot going against her too. A lot of her punches are mid, she has 3 moves that give her frame advantage I believe, only one of which doesn't require a lengthy charge. I think almost every other character has more/better frame advantage attacks than Helena. A lot of her strings end with her being very negative, in other words she can be throw punished more than anyone else in the cast. She also has an 11frame jab where most of the cast's is 10frame. What she does have in her favor is some of the best side step attacks, some good stun mixups, and 2 great crushes in P+K and 33P.

What safe strings does she have? And what do you use for resets against the wall?

What safe strings does she have? And what do you use for resets against the wall?

236PKP is -2 so it's very safe.
BT PP4P2P is -4 which I think is safe...grapplers might be able to punish but I don't think they can.
BT66K2 is neutral
BT PP is only -2
BT PPK is her only string that ends with her frame advantage move(K+H by itself) at +7

there's probably a couple more, but she really lacks safe strings if she gets blocked.

Against the wall, after I get the wall bounce(not the splat) I do 33P4P to knock them into the ground and go into BKO then do BKO6P to force tech and get advantage then mixup for more wall bounces. I use 66P a lot but if they stand and just block you have to be ready with a throw or a low. An example of what I do would be something like....66KPP [wall bounce] 33P4P BKO6P[force tech] 66P [wall bounce] 33P4P BKO6P[force tech] 3K [wall bounce] 33P4P BKO6P[force tech]....so on and so forth. just always do 33P4P after the bounce so you're in BKO for the 6P force tech and keep the pressure up.

236PKP is -2 so it's very safe.
BT PP4P2P is -4 which I think is safe...grapplers might be able to punish but I don't think they can.
BT66K2 is neutral
BT PP is only -2
BT PPK is her only string that ends with her frame advantage move(K+H by itself) at +7

there's probably a couple more, but she really lacks safe strings if she gets blocked.

Against the wall, after I get the wall bounce(not the splat) I do 33P4P to knock them into the ground and go into BKO then do BKO6P to force tech and get advantage then mixup for more wall bounces. I use 66P a lot but if they stand and just block you have to be ready with a throw or a low. An example of what I do would be something like....66KPP [wall bounce] 33P4P BKO6P[force tech] 66P [wall bounce] 33P4P BKO6P[force tech] 3K [wall bounce] 33P4P BKO6P[force tech]....so on and so forth. just always do 33P4P after the bounce so you're in BKO for the 6P force tech and keep the pressure up.
Thank you! You're like a Helena dictionary!

Can't see me progressing in this game.

Grrr I hate how most of the move list have random direction buttons during the string. Can't remember that shit. :(

Well GOOD NEWS! You don't have to us strings! ISNT THAT AMAZING!!??!?!?! AND EVEN BETTER NEWS! You should be more focused on learning 8 attacks, Punch punch, Critical Burst, Power Blow, Low punch, Low Kick, Launcher, Mid Kick, and A distance closer. Just learn this and you will be fine, also learn how to counter hold people and throw people when they try to counter hold you. IF YOU LEARN STRINGS you will become predictable and get grabbed soooooo You want to just learn how to stun your enemy and either launch or carry them to CB!, read my guide on how to play this, its in blue V V V V V V V

Every string has like 3 different endings though but I use Hitomi so its just 236P all the way and when that gets old I can 236K.

Can someone tell me why I never get to select the stage? Every single time I play a quick match, the other guy gets to pick the stage. It obviously isn't random, because I literally never get to select. And I always seem to play against guys who think what stage we play on is the most important decision of his life judging by how long they take to pick it.

Stage selection is for the second player only, it will never let first player pick the stage.

On another note, finally got my PS3 back from repair. The system now turns on, is able to connect to the internet and everything.

But its not reading PS3 discs. Huzzah.

Fuudo vs. Tokido. Battle of the century of DoA5! Will it be Akira Yuki or Jann Lee that takes home the cup... of Canada

Find out! http://www.twitch.tv/canadacup2/b/336957662

"Looks like Tokido takes it. He is your Canada cup 2012 DOA 5 champion."
LOL

I enjoyed watching this. It showed me a higher level aspect of the game than what I knew.
That aside, are we sure "Slow Escape" is still something in this game? Whenever one of those guys would get stunned they would either try to hold something or take the full combo.

I thought learning strings kept you from being blown up by ignorance. Guess I learned something today. He next time time an opponent is pressuring me with strings, I will wait an punish his predictability (he can't help it). Whether or not his strings have delays, mid/low mixups, or huge holes will not make nearly as much difference as getting my unstoppable offense going.

"Looks like Tokido takes it. He is your Canada cup 2012 DOA 5 champion."
LOL

I enjoyed watching this. It showed me a higher level aspect of the game than what I knew.
That aside, are we sure "Slow Escape" is still something in this game? Whenever one of those guys would get stunned they would either try to hold something or take the full combo.

it only reduce the frames you are stun not get rid of it completely. stun combos can be "guaranteed" and must be hold.

Well it seems you can't hold block when rotating the pad/stick to attempt a slow escape, cause this will make you attempt a random hold. And if you're not holding block when trying to shake off a stun, I don't get the point of it.

Well it seems you can't hold block when rotating the pad/stick to attempt a slow escape, cause this will make you attempt a random hold. And if you're not holding block when trying to shake off a stun, I don't get the point of it.
It's kind of hard, you have to make yourself press and hold the Hold/Free button first before you start inputting directions, you can't do it at the same time. (I guess you could do 3H and that wouldn't do anything... but you'd have to switch on 2P side...)

Mr. Wah said the best input was to hold H and then 73737373. 'cause, those inputs can be taken as cardinal directions (4826) by the game... wish I knew that in SCIV.

In Lei-Fang's case, it was in DOA4. Lucky for us Lei-Fang players, we became very aware of that.
If you don't know your characters strings you will not be able to mix-up because you wouldn't know if the string has more than one ending.

Brad has a fuck ton of string variations, stance shifts and stance cancels that you would not get by button mashing. You should strive to be in control of your character at all times, which means you need to know everything they can do. Not 8 moves because there will come a time when those 8 moves aren't enough.

Back