Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

I'm assuming 4P2K and the Hi-Counter throw issue are bugs and that's why I didn't mention them. I'm not sure what to think of them. That said, I tend not to use 4P2K too much because of the unblockable issue.

Anywho, I'm leaving Jacky alone for a bit. I'm not really getting any success with him, but I'm feeling like I understand how he plays now. I'm moving on to focus on Ayane and Bayman as FON and Rikuto suggested, although I don't have much success with either yet.

With both of them, I think its simply the very limited move list they suggested. Although with cases of Bayman, post-stun throw setups and OHs haven't always been very successful (many times I'm thrown instead) and other cases its trying to figure out what move to use to stun with. In Ayane's case, FON mentioned a lot of moves that are negative on hit (4P, 3P, 6P, 1P) so I have to look for chances to get in counter hits or pressure with something else (6K, 3H+K, 2P), I end up in BT a lot and I didn't get any move suggestions to try so often times I'm just using K or 2K or throw. I think I am getting the idea, though.

I'm assuming 4P2K and the Hi-Counter throw issue are bugs and that's why I didn't mention them. I'm not sure what to think of them. That said, I tend not to use 4P2K too much because of the unblockable issue.

Anywho, I'm leaving Jacky alone for a bit. I'm not really getting any success with him, but I'm feeling like I understand how he plays now. I'm moving on to focus on Ayane and Bayman as FON and Rikuto suggested, although I don't have much success with either yet.

With both of them, I think its simply the very limited move list they suggested. Although with cases of Bayman, post-stun throw setups and OHs haven't always been very successful (many times I'm thrown instead) and other cases its trying to figure out what move to use to stun with. In Ayane's case, FON mentioned a lot of moves that are negative on hit (4P, 3P, 6P, 1P) so I have to look for chances to get in counter hits or pressure with something else (6K, 3H+K, 2P), I end up in BT a lot and I didn't get any move suggestions to try so often times I'm just using K or 2K or throw. I think I am getting the idea, though.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/the-butterfly-kunoichi-doa5u-ayane-breakdown.2940/

I only listed a few moves for you to mess around with since I tend to get regular usage out of them during my matches. Don't worry about "getting in" when playing as Ayane, she can essentially outzone almost everyone on the entire roster, thus meaning that you're usually not that obligated to rush in for pressure. Almost every move that Ayane has, that doesn't knock down or stun the opponent, is negative on hit. I will also let you know that 4P, 3P, 6P, and 1P all have multiple follow-ups that opponents have to respect, and make them think twice before punishing. I can use those 4 moves in entire matches and not get punished for them (4P is the least safe however). 6K is a nice move to use when in fairly close due to the stun on hit, though I don't really care for it's follow-ups since 6KK is rubbish and 6K2K is holdable on reaction. 3K is also a decent Mid K poke. On the the otherhand, if 6K2K hits, you get a juicy stun. I prefer 3P due to its nice range and good, highly delayable follow-ups.

The moves I suggested to you were just a starting point for familiarizing your self with Ayane. Describing how to utilize her BT moves would've taken quite a long time and would've confused you even more. However, I will note that BT 6K is 0 on block if that means anything (+1 if you can hit it at the tip) and of course Ayane's P is only -1 on block and 0 on hit. Majority of the time you'll be running Ayane's BT mix-ups after a blocked 66KK4 or BT PP6KK4. You've told me that you don't yet feel comfortable using those moves.

I can give you a sample set-up for using BT PP6KK4. Perform P+KP(1) to enter BT stance (preferably around close-mid range) then perform BT PP6KK4 if the opponent is not close enough to poke you out of it. Mess around with it in the lab a bit along with other methods to safely enter BT. The key is to be in BT stance from a position where your opponent has to respect your BT options. This is the essence of zoning as opposed to rushdown pressure.

As for 66KK4, despite the move's speed, it can get CH blown easily when used from neutral. Essentially, only use this move from advantage where your opponent won't have an opportunity to CH it (such as them being stunned or them whiffing a move relatively nearby). However, if the opponent blocks this move or gets hit, you're in the driver's seat. From BT, if 66KK4 is blocked, you can perform BT PP6KK4 for a frametrapping loop, BT 2P for a low poke, BT T for a i6 command grab, or BT 6P for a CH launcher that will beat out almost every single immediate retaliatory attempt from the opponent for a decent launch.

When you get a chance post up your vids of your matches, since it'll be a lot easier to describe how to go about using your characters!

Last edited:
Or you can just do 5P at range to enter BT, because it leaves her back turned and there's the fact that P4P exists. Safer and less riskier than a ranged P+KP 1.

Also, BT1P is a better low after the +1, it ends up being i12 just as BT2P would and it "tracks". Stuns on counter hit and has follow ups. BT6P crushes highs and lows, but does not beat out i11 mids. However, BT P+KP beats out highs AND i11 mids (or slower) and tracks.

The only actual attack option that can hit Ayane is an i9 jab, which will only tie with hers after the +1. i9 jabs (or slower) also loses to BT6P. The +1 does nothing but put Ayane into a favorable position. You cannot side step, you get counter hit for trying. And all her options favor her a lot more than it does for you guessing and pressing buttons.

You have to block, or guess with a hold/parry. Ayane can also just do BT8P to be at neutral and test your reaction.

I just bought DOA5U and can't wait to play it! I got bored of SCV and needed a change lol - looking forward to trying out a series I've never played before.

Will the learning curve be steep? Which characters would you guys recommend I play? I'd prefer someone who is fast and aggressive if that helps. Watching videos online, Kasumi seems fun to play, but I don't know if she will match my usual playstyle.

I just bought DOA5U and can't wait to play it! I got bored of SCV and needed a change lol - looking forward to trying out a series I've never played before.

Will the learning curve be steep? Which characters would you guys recommend I play? I'd prefer someone who is fast and aggressive if that helps. Watching videos online, Kasumi seems fun to play, but I don't know if she will match my usual playstyle.

There's plenty of beginner friendly and aggressive characters to play. Since you're an experienced fighter, you might want to try command training and see which characters feel more comfortable to you.

Mage, the most beginner friendly characters in DOA5U are;

Momiji
Ein
Genfu
Hayate
Hitomi
Rachel
Kasumi

Ein and Genfu are the most well-round in that lot. Ein is simple, straight forward, has very good damage, and is very well balanced.

Genfu (my sub) is simple, has very good damage, and is a monster in CQC (close quarters combat). If you were to give Genfu a shot, I can certainly help out with that.

Momiji is probably the most beginner friendly character in this game. Very good damage, one of the best whiff punishers in the game (66PP), good pressure, good movement and mix up.

Hitomi is straight forward like Ein is. However, she has a lot more string variety and mix ups than he does. Very good damage, amazing KBD ability, solid whiff punishment, good tools and good pressure.

Hayate is a solid and well-rounded ninja on the roster. He's got good mix up, good mobility, and solid damage.

Rachel is very good, although she is slower than the rest of the female cast because she is a super heavy weight. But she has solid but straignt forward strings, pressure, and good damage.

Kasumi is fast and she has solid damage overall. Pretty good tools, good mix up, good pressure.

@ZOo00OOm if you need some assistance on Ayane, I'm at your service. Anyone that is anyone in the DOA community knows I'm the go to player for Ayane depth.

I just went online with lisa/La Mariposa and Played about 20 games .... I lost 18 of them what am I doing wrong !?!

Who knows?

What were you getting hit with? Were you being countered? Hi-countered? Did you not identify the enemy's strings? Did you get caught repeatedly by something? Were you playing in lag?

Losses can come from all sorts of things... No answers can really be given when there's no information to work with.

Do you have any replays?

Who knows?

What were you getting hit with? Were you being countered? Hi-countered? Did you not identify the enemy's strings? Did you get caught repeatedly by something? Were you playing in lag?

Losses can come from all sorts of things... No answers can really be given when there's no information to work with.

Do you have any replays?
The player was Spamming rig. Throwing out all types of inputs I just didn't know how to defend against His attacks I was focused to much on the offensive ... not so much the defensive

Defense is important in DOA. In fact, defense is... probably why I'm not playing DOA more often... ._.;

Try to look for attack patterns/repeated sequences of moves. If you don't know the attack properties intimately, you'll have to guess- but guessing is better than nothing. Try to guess-hold when you have a lock on a pattern and mentally record if something works or not.

You'll also have to guess on punishment. If you see and block a move that looks like it has a long recovery, try to punish with T or 6T. You'll know when you've guessed wrong (you'll be Hi-Counter smacked most likely...)

Finding a place to interrupt can be difficult because of the sheer amount of strings in this game. If you can, try to space and whiff punish in order to force the opponent into playing the neutral game with you. I hear Lisa is good with range.

The "hard answer" would be to go into practice and familiarize yourself with his attacks. 'course... that takes time.

Defense is important in DOA. In fact, defense is... probably why I'm not playing DOA more often... ._.;

Try to look for attack patterns/repeated sequences of moves. If you don't know the attack properties intimately, you'll have to guess- but guessing is better than nothing. Try to guess-hold when you have a lock on a pattern and mentally record if something works or not.

You'll also have to guess on punishment. If you see and block a move that looks like it has a long recovery, try to punish with T or 6T. You'll know when you've guessed wrong (you'll be Hi-Counter smacked most likely...)

Finding a place to interrupt can be difficult because of the sheer amount of strings in this game. If you can, try to space and whiff punish in order to force the opponent into playing the neutral game with you. I hear Lisa is good with range.

The "hard answer" would be to go into practice and familiarize yourself with his attacks. 'course... that takes time.
Thanks a lot for the help really appreciate it maybe we should fight sometime

I just went online with lisa/La Mariposa and Played about 20 games .... I lost 18 of them what am I doing wrong !?!

The best way for us determine what you were doing correctly and incorrectly would be for you to upload a match of yours to this thread. Let us critique it.

RANDOM QUESTION!! =]

I haven't played this game online for about 3 weeks, I have been busy playing XB1, but I'm going to play it a bunch today... is the ranked and player match lobbies still really busy? >:D

Have you played any other 3D fighters before? DOA5U can be pretty damn fast when played properly. How fast do you expect this game to be? You want everyone to have i5 jabs or something?
i suck at doa5 i'm so lost in that game i'm just bitching out of frustration i don't know how to block lol

Back