DEVASTATION 2009 Results

And the commentary is just like watchin an abortion. Soul Calibur is NOT and never has been about long winded juggles or combos. They talked so much they started to make hypocrites of themselves. It was getting very annoying hearing those guys speak the tournament organizers has the single flaw of having clueless hosts give play by plays on fighting games they know absolutely nothing about. The Tekken matches were even worse to hear.

With you talking about high/low mixups and Mitsu's/Lizzy's ridiculous keep out game. You know nothing about the game, now who is the hypocrite? It sounds like you would of done an even worse job than the commentators they already had.

gg's to all that showed, i had a great time at this event.

lobo: thanks housing -_- and myself, also for showing up around town. Alot of drunk and high times good friendly ppl and good casuals, and doobie is a great dog btw! we should chill again like that again sometime.

-_-: thanks for driving to the event, it was fun following you around finding out the mystery that is -_-. Good job doing well in both tournies, repping kuma.

drdogg: the only one i didn't get to play in tourney or in casuals, but none the less you were busy. gj on a tourney smoothly won.

blackmamba: gg's i feel that last ring out was a lucky won but none the less you were a great opponent.

ryujin: Great kilik! your azura dance timing is amazing! i never thought kilik could be so good. hope you still keep playing the game regardless of hilde and algol. i'm glad i didn't play you in tourney.

well i was really expecting more ppl to show, but it seems that the community is dead, i know there'll be more ppl at evo but after that sc4 is pretty much done for....that's too bad. i can only hope for a better sc game if that possible.

well i was really expecting more ppl to show, but it seems that the community is dead, i know there'll be more ppl at evo but after that sc4 is pretty much done for....that's too bad. i can only hope for a better sc game if that possible.

Sucks for SoCal... I hope you can find someone to play with down there.

...and you do realize the attendance at Devastation was low due to:
1) T.i.T. in Dallas being the week beforehand.
2) No guarantee of any dollar amount (by the way, how much did you walk away with? Inquiring minds want to know)
3) It broke down to either choose Devastation or T.i.T. and NorCal and ATL chose T.i.T. so a few other out of town placers followed suit.

Yeah. They werent by any means bad matches, but should have been much better for finals. I seen a lot of tit for tat "you hit me i hit you back" stuff going on. I wanted to see some frame disadvantage traps, high/low mixups. Lizzy and Mitsu both can play a ridiculous KEEP OUT game, I didnt see much of any if at all here. RELIC shenanigans from Mitsu, I wanted to see some of that! I made a sad face when Mitsu ran in and landed the ring-out throw on Lizzy. Those things should be a given. Way too predictable, and very very unsafe!

And the commentary is just like watchin an abortion. Soul Calibur is NOT and never has been about long winded juggles or combos. They talked so much they started to make hypocrites of themselves. It was getting very annoying hearing those guys speak the tournament organizers has the single flaw of having clueless hosts give play by plays on fighting games they know absolutely nothing about. The Tekken matches were even worse to hear.

I though Salmon/Suicide game play was crappy at first glance (nothing punished, hit by ultra basic stuff (LC K LC A) and that all given players must have played each other for quite some time. Still in the second ft3 set some good mindgames have been shown, so gameplay might not be impressive, but the mindgames were okay. Overall they are solid, but couldnt show high level play this time.

let me ask you ass clowns something? Have you ever won any tournament w/ YOUR tactics? Salmon and i have been playing each other in tourney for a while now, and finally beat me at devastation to put me into the losers bracket. he deserves beating me, salmon has gotten so much better since the last time we played. What you see not blocked, it because it's great wake up and mind games. also when you have pressure of a championship on the line you don't always land what you want cuz of that. besides, if our game play was so scrubby for you 2 then why did we make it to finals then? so for you 2 scrubs have fun scrubbing it out online, cuz if you ever face either of us, i guarantee that you'll never beat us.

Ahahaha

More people showed to the other events because they had guaranteed money.
Not to mention the TiT shit.
If they had announced it as a MAJOR, without pretending there MIGHT be guaranteed money up until the last week, people might have chosen it over TiT.

I do, however, like your post game interview
Because in the face of victory and a chance to get hundreds of players to start playing the game, you STILL had you complaining about Hilde.

There's a time and place to not make yourself look like a jackass and to just promote people to play the game (in front of 6000+ people, maybe?), and that was a good time to do it.

No. Obviously YOU are done with the game. We, on the other hand, will continue to have 100-man majors and 40+ man monthlies without SoCal's tears soaking our shirts.

No, Hilde! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Edit: That came out a bit harsher than intended.
Congrats on winning, please make sure not to make our entire community look bad in your next interview, thanks.
You basically validated that the SC community does nothing but whine and complain. By being the ONLY PLAYER to do it in an interview the entire weekend.

My copy/pasta from the other thread.

I just wanted to make a small post about the SC4 tourney and whatnot. My name is Jeremy, also known as That Loud Motherfucker Running the Brackets.

I gotta say I was very impressed with the Soul Calibur guys and crew that came out. Thanks to you players this tourney was SO much easier to run that it could've been, so I definitely appreciate that. I was also very impressed about how you folks handled the random power outage (We had a power strip die, it was pretty bad). Not only was there absolutely NO BITCHING (it was in the middle of Losers finals) but it was resolved quickly, and very well I might add. The 2 players involved even set the round count back to where it was via ringout and finished the match properly. I know it may not seem like much, but there are a lot of players who would've handled it differently, so I just wanted to say I found it amazing.

Again thanks for making the tournament an amazing and fun event, grats to Vicious on winning, and hope to see you all next year :)

----

In addition, to anyone who is complaining about any portion of the tournament. Instead of sitting at your PC and actually watching the results, GET OUT AND MAKE THEM! A lot of trouble was gone through to provide people with Live Streams, player interviews, and quickly run tournaments. So if you guys have an issue with any of those, PLEASE, man up and make a change. Otherwise, keep it quiet back there in the peanut gallery.

Congrats on winning, please make sure not to make our entire community look bad in your next interview, thanks.
You basically validated that the SC community does nothing but whine and complain. By being the ONLY PLAYER to do it in an interview the entire weekend.

Well hey, he's only speaking the truth. And the community does a great job of making themselves look bad all by themselves.

Also, considering how much that over hyped of a game called SF4 is taking over by storm, all of our fighting games we play and love, (SC4, DOA4, etc.) won't even matter to anyone else anymore anyway. It's almost as all our accomplishments went down the drain.

Real recognize real.

Full shout outs incoming when I actually have a chance to breathe.

DrDogg - Will you be at Nationals? How many entered? Is there a YouTube chanel for matches from Devistation (T6, SF4 etc?)

I will not be at Nats, but unless I'm mid-project at work I will be at EVO. And I'll actually get in some practice before I go (unlike the month I took off before DEV).

congrats placers, seems like this was a fun tourney , will there be full results?

Full results incoming. Hopefully today, if not then Friday at the latest with a TIO file.

Sucks for SoCal... I hope you can find someone to play with down there.

...and you do realize the attendance at Devastation was low due to:
1) T.i.T. in Dallas being the week beforehand.
2) No guarantee of any dollar amount (by the way, how much did you walk away with? Inquiring minds want to know)
3) It broke down to either choose Devastation or T.i.T. and NorCal and ATL chose T.i.T. so a few other out of town placers followed suit.

DEVASTATION had a higher turnout that TiT8 without any guaranteed money.

That said, both tournaments had extremely low turnouts. Aside from EVO, I'd say SC4 is done.

Ahahaha

If they had announced it as a MAJOR, without pretending there MIGHT be guaranteed money up until the last week, people might have chosen it over TiT.

Which other recent major did more people show up to? DEV had a higher turnout that MWC and TiT8.

And I take personal offense to you acting like I made up the potential money. When I first made the thread we had a sponsor ready to put $2k on SC4. The complete lack of interest from 8WR and CF is what drove the sponsor to put their money elsewhere.

We had over $10k in prizes and supporters from Best Buy to Qwest to Play N Trade with tons of stuff to give away, and you really think I was just pulling everyone's leg when I said to watch for $2k on SC4? It was the fault of the community for not having any money on SC4... but looking at the TiT8 turnout it wouldn't have mattered either way because it's unlikely we would've seen over 30-40 players even with money.

vicious suicide : Mb tournament pressure got to you, all I said you couldnt show high level play this one time. I pretty much know how good a player you are, but anyway come to evo I'll defeat you there as much as you like. MM 20$? 30$? 50$?

I can guaran-damn-tee you the quality of players was higher at T.i.T. I'm not disrespecting anyone that went to Devastation, but it's the truth. The guaranteed pot and the unspoken invested interest (The Dallas guys are great to hangout with and have deep ties with some of the players who went to T.i.T.) added up to a fiercely competitive venue that did not disappoint.

...and blaming the lack of a pot on no interest isn't the most accurate of things either. You posted that there could potentially be a $2,000 pot, but you lead everyone on without saying, "Hey, it's way more likely that the sponsor will drop $2,000 on this game if more people show interest," instead it was more of a, "It could be $2,000... maybe... wait and see?... possibly... maybe...who knows...?" so no one really posted up a storm about it.

...and I can't stress enough that SCIV is as done in your area as you want it to be. Always bear in mind that your area isn't indicative of the whole of the US. Sucks your community isn't as interested. :-/

dam u vicious, you just ruined it for all new players with your post tourney interview and speaking your mind...DAM YOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!

:shakes fist angrily:

I can guaran-damn-tee you the quality of players was higher at T.i.T. I'm not disrespecting anyone that went to Devastation, but it's the truth. The guaranteed pot and the unspoken invested interest (The Dallas guys are great to hangout with and have deep ties with some of the players who went to T.i.T.) added up to a fiercely competitive venue that did not disappoint.

...and blaming the lack of a pot on no interest isn't the most accurate of things either. You posted that there could potentially be a $2,000 pot, but you lead everyone on without saying, "Hey, it's way more likely that the sponsor will drop $2,000 on this game if more people show interest," instead it was more of a, "It could be $2,000... maybe... wait and see?... possibly... maybe...who knows...?" so no one really posted up a storm about it.

...and I can't stress enough that SCIV is as done in your area as you want it to be. Always bear in mind that your area isn't indicative of the whole of the US. Sucks your community isn't as interested. :-/

I can't say the overall quality of players was higher given that I've only seen Cedric play. I know we had quality comp at DEV, but I can't comment on which event had better overall comp.

I say the community is dying because I look at MWC getting a very low turnout, TiT8 getting 22 people and DEVASTATION getting 26 people and I compare that to SB3 getting 80 or 90. People aren't traveling, and that has very little to do with the lack of interest in Phoenix.

As far as the pot goes, I wasn't aware that the sponsor was wavering until it was too late. We tried to get another sponsor for SC4, but there wasn't enough time. Had I known community involvement was a factor, I would've made that clear in my first post.

I, unfortunately, don't even know what MWC is... :( (which could say something) however I think that this is just the lull before the storm, if you will.

We have Evo and then Nats after that and then in August is an invitational on the East Coast that will pull some very good competition from across the nation. I see this game sticking around, not like the juggernaut that is SF4, but enough to keep it around for a while so that we can all enjoy the game until SCV hits. What I'm trying to say is that I don't see SCIV dropping off the face of the map after Evo.

Here's to a long, fruitful Summer/Fall filled with hot comp and cool temperatures. (hopefully... Eff this 100 Degree BS)

Maybe it's lack of money for traveling...? I'd love to do all these tourneys but I just can't do it; I'm doing PAX instead.

As for SC4 dying, I just hooked 2 more people to SC4. Albeit, I'm in a small-ass college town, and I'm pretty much the only guy here that plays, I think interest will come and go naturally. We're almost on a one-year anniversary for this game's release, we'll see who is still around after a year.

vicious suicide : Mb tournament pressure got to you, all I said you couldnt show high level play this one time. I pretty much know how good a player you are, but anyway come to evo I'll defeat you there as much as you like. MM 20$? 30$? 50$?

sure man i'll be glad to take that money off your hands, better not bitch out.

what makes you think your going to beat me anyways? i hope that match vid doesn't cloud your mind of how i play.

goofus: stfu

MichaelJackson: regardless of what you think after evo, and nats sc4 will be dead. the SC community in the east coast has always been bigger. and why? because no matter what anyone will tell you it's because of hilde and algol.

I agree w/ MJ (on all points made) but we'll see which tourney had better comp when we all meet @ Evo, yah? :sc4sig1:

Belial vs Vicious I wanna see... HYPE

- I.C.E.

Ahahaha

I do, however, like your post game interview
Because in the face of victory and a chance to get hundreds of players to start playing the game, you STILL had you complaining about Hilde.

There's a time and place to not make yourself look like a jackass and to just promote people to play the game (in front of 6000+ people, maybe?), and that was a good time to do it.

No. Obviously YOU are done with the game. We, on the other hand, will continue to have 100-man majors and 40+ man monthlies without SoCal's tears soaking our shirts.

No, Hilde! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

well excuse me fats, i was only speaking the truth, look at most of the tourneys that has a good hilde player they always win, same goes if an algol plays. that interview was for a better sc to come out. i love soulcalibur but yeah i'm going to bitch because something is fucking broken. any hilde player that would have won wouldn't complain cuz they're winning. aren't you using hilde now? is cass not cutting it anymore amigo? all i'm asking if for a patch on the obivious; hilde's doom combo, algol in general, amy getting more negative frames that's it. at least the characters that i play don't have anything as broken. and mark my words, evo, nats will be won by either hilde or alogol if not both. i still love you fats

Back