DEVASTATION 2011 Outlook/Preview Thread

DrDogg

[09] Warrior
Hello everyone!

DEVASTATION 2011 is currently in the planning stages, so I thought I'd gauge the interest for including Soul Calibur IV as a featured title again this year.

The dates are October 7-9 in Phoenix, AZ at the Phoenix Convention Center (same place it was last year).

As I said, we're still in the planning stages, so don't take this thread as the official announcement. We're at the point where we need to determine which games will be featured at the event, and we'd like to have SC4, but I need to know if you guys are interested again.

Last year we got a full 32-man bracket, which was actually a better SC4 turnout than DEV 2009. If we can do that again, we'll definitely host SC4 for a third straight year.

Here's what we're currently working on. Please keep in mind that NOTHING is official yet aside from the date and location.

- Invite international competition for Soul Calibur IV
- Discuss the possibility of having Soul Calibur V in some way (new trailer, demo/beta, etc.)
- Discuss the possibility of having Tekken Tag 2 in some way (arcade cabinet, demo/beta, etc.)
- Players getting paid Sunday after finals (no 90 day grace period).
- Guaranteed pot for SC4 (shooting for $500+, more if there's big interest)

Please let me know if you guys have any questions about the event or would like to see anything not mentioned here. Again, this thread is mainly to gauge the interest of the Soul Calibur community.

I can gaurantee that so cal will make an appreance. Ill even caravan a bunch of peeps if I have to!!
HYPE!!!
HRD

It's good to hear that you guys are interested in hosting Soul Calibur again. I had way too much fun when I came out there last year, and I been interested in coming back ever since I heard that Dev was moving to a new date. Once June rolls around, people are usually saving to go to EVO.

But everyone who went to DEV have nothing but great things to say about the event, so hopefully there's enough interest to have us back for another year.

If you want to invite some international competition, there's a bunch to choose from. If there's a guaranteed pot and people can get paid on Sunday instead of having to wait 90 days, that would also be a plus. Broke ass gamers don't want to wait 90 days.

But hopefully I can make it out there again. And if you are interesting in attending, post up.

Unban Algol. Ill come if you do.

Guess we won't see you there then. Learn another character, just like the Hilde players did. If you got skill you can do that.

Anyway I'm definitely hoping to go to this as long as SC4 is there again. Hoping the same people that went last time go this time also plus more.

Glad to see all of the support!

We'd definitely like to improve on last year and have an even higher attendance. It's one of the reasons we're going to try to talk to Namco and get some SC5 and TTT2 love, as well as talking to international players.

I would like to say that we're focused on giving the players more for their money this year. That doesn't just mean getting paid on Finals Sunday, that also entails cheaper registration/tournament fees (the earlier you sign up the cheaper it'll be) and making it much easier for people to participate in multiple tournaments without spending $60+.

We have some really big plans and I'm glad that the Soul Calibur community is ready to make a return to Phoenix. I'll keep checking in on this thread (as I'm sure jedirobb will be doing as well), so please toss out any suggestions you may have. Our ears are open. Hopefully I'll have an official announcement thread up before too long. Just need to finalize some details first.

It's a bit early to discuss rules, but at this point it's a safe bet that the rules will be the same as 2010, which means no Hilde or Algol.

All in favor of banning Amy? ^_^

Amy is a whore, but we went through this debate last year on the rules. Just keep the same as 2010.

But it's good to see people wanting to come back to Phoenix. And make it easier for people so that they're not spending $60+.

I fear Amy way more than Algol. I'd almost rather fight Hilde than Amy. lol

The reality is that algol is only overpowered vs noobs. Its sad that we need people for tournaments so bad that we must comply with inexperienced players.

Amy should not be banned. if you have a hard time vs amy try and practice vs her as much as you can. she is in no way unbeatable.

only person i agree should be banned is Hilde. i personally wouldn't have a problem fighting her, but the 1 hit kill doom combo is just ridicules.

In any case this tournament will be very entertaining regardless of the rules.

The reality is that algol is only overpowered vs noobs. Its sad that we need people for tournaments so bad that we must comply with inexperienced players.

Amy should not be banned. if you have a hard time vs amy try and practice vs her as much as you can. she is in no way unbeatable.

only person i agree should be banned is Hilde. i personally wouldn't have a problem fighting her, but the 1 hit kill doom combo is just ridicules.

In any case this tournament will be very entertaining regardless of the rules.

I never said Amy is unbeatable... 0_o I just don't like fighting her. I personally enjoy the challenge of fighting Hilde, but fighting Amy just isn't fun lol.

Anyway, let's not turn this into a debate on which characters should be banned and why. If need be I'll make a thread just to discuss the rules, but I really don't think that will be necessary. Amy won't be banned, I was just joking around. Expect the same rules as 2010.

Dang that is plenty of time to get ready to go, Any soul players in Albuquerque New Mexico interested? I would like to get an offline community playing in ABQ to prepare for tournaments. Online is a little to questionable to rely on (skill wise)

Dang that is plenty of time to get ready to go, Any soul players in Albuquerque New Mexico interested? I would like to get an offline community playing in ABQ to prepare for tournaments. Online is a little to questionable to rely on (skill wise)

New Mexico already has a community for Soul Calibur. Try reaching out to lobo so that you can get in touch with those guys to get something going and come out to DEV.

Back