DLC Theory: "Stone" is NOT Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock might have had a chance if this was a six-pack of returnees like many thought. But it's not. It's a four-pack, and one of them is a guest. I'd say Setsuka is definitely one of them (a lock even). The other two? Who knows.

I don't see Rock making the cut for the small pass. I will gladly pay for him, but idk...if that mask in the cass trailer means something significant maybe its a new character?

I don't see Rock making the cut for the small pass. I will gladly pay for him, but idk...if that mask in the cass trailer means something significant maybe its a new character?
Yeah, does that mask mean anything we know of?

Yeah, does that mask mean anything we know of?

nevermind its just cassandra stuff.

But anyways, I want to just say I'm not a huge Rock fan but I sympathize with his fans because it feels like Hwang is in a similar spot as they are both overlooked.

But my dream of the new modern Soul Calibur is to have all those old characters back to see if any of them can gain new fans or be reworked into more successful characters. They just didn't have the chance in the old age of no dlc and no patches/balancing.

As mentioned before - if we had 6 DLC characters then he would have pretty decent chance of joining the cast. With 4 - not so much. My guess will go for Setsu, Hwang/Yun and Hilde (because boobs and uniqueness). There is still some chance it may turn out similar as with Tekken's second sp where they added 2 characters to the lineup and if so - Rock is qute possible.

Looking back, it's funny how Rusted Blade argued with me so much, and was so sure this was correct. I pointed out that not everything is as it seemed, that the codenames could mean nothing.

So yeah, it was correct to argue that Rock wouldn't be DLC. There's just no way they're risking all that time, money and effort on a D-lister with no appeal.

I just wonder who the other three are going to be.

I think it might be another waifu squad, sadly. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get Hilde, Setsuka and Viola. That's all well and good I suppose, I like the characters, but I haven't had a chance to really play with hwang. I would kill to play as hwang honestly.

I'm expecting Setsuka, definitely. People like waifus, other than that, I have no idea what to expect, though.

Looking back, it's funny how Rusted Blade argued with me so much, and was so sure this was correct. I pointed out that not everything is as it seemed, that the codenames could mean nothing.

Idk, this seems kind of arrogant to say when we haven't seen who the other 3 DLC characters are yet. Though, even if we did, is there really a need to assert this superiority complex further? Seems kind of petty.

So yeah, it was correct to argue that Rock wouldn't be DLC. There's just no way they're risking all that time, money and effort on a D-lister with no appeal.

What did Rock do to you, other than take the spot of your beloved Barbarian woman archetype?

I just think Rock would be a waste. That’s the entire point.

I only view guests as a waste, but they do bring financial boons to the game and new players so it's a trade off. Even if Hwang isn't in this next pass I will buy it and support it. I doubt any character they put in the pass will be a waste other than say Edgemaster.

With a returning character we get their outfit, their weapon set, their movelist and whatever changes and adjustments Project Soul makes for them.

It’s more than that. I want new stuff that’s good over Rock. Moreover, I want all DLC to succeed and bring positive PR, and I don’t see Rock doing that.

Also, remember Blade was going to post a smug smiley face here “when” he was proven right. He also spoke like I didn’t know what I was saying, when I knew PS wouldn’t risk it on Rock for the reasons I mentioned. Hence, I feel justified about my boast.

Uhhh, ok, Captain Non-Sequitor:
A) I made clear from day one that I felt the release of the six codenames was highly suspect. In fact, I've been the most outspoken voice here that it seems like highly contrived (and fairly obvious) viral marketing.
B) I didn't (and don't) argue that Rock was a lock if the actual number or identities hinted in that "leak" turned out to be less than 100% credible.
C) I was merely refuting what I saw as obvious flaws in your rationale as to the likelihood that the code reference (if of genuine coding purpose) did not reference Rock, as your conclusions seemed to me to be based more in some kind of peculiar irrational bias about the character than anything that remotely resembles strong empirical evidence.
D) To the extent that "Rock" wasn't an accurate forecast of anything that's immediately coming, you were as "wrong" as anyone about what that handle "actually" meant--and still incredibly, obviously wrong about what it was likely to have meant.

So, uhhh, you really want to continue this conversation? Because your arguments still don't hold water.

As mentioned before - if we had 6 DLC characters then he would have pretty decent chance of joining the cast. With 4 - not so much. My guess will go for Setsu, Hwang/Yun and Hilde (because boobs and uniqueness). There is still some chance it may turn out similar as with Tekken's second sp where they added 2 characters to the lineup and if so - Rock is qute possible.
My money is on Setsuka, Aeon, and Hwang. However, at this juncture, with Tekken 7's third season pass announced, I'm feeling its not outside the realm of possibility (or even reasonable speculation) to wonder who might be included in that. Rock, Yun-seong, and Li Long with a fourth guest? Hilde is another possibility, but I've said since the general outlines of the first season was announced that it made a certain amount of sense to try to present similar offerings for each season pass: giving a consumer a sense of continuity with what they are purchasing is good if you are going to extend the serialized content model as much as the market will allow. It also lets Namco set a single default pricepoint (plus sale pricepoints) with some degree of dependability and understanding of costs and likely revenue.

And if you're gonna do four characters per season pass, a guest with each one probably makes sense. I know that's going to be an unpopular opinion with some here, but the fact of the matter is, some guests can be so popular that they basically "pay" for more than their own fair share of the content of the season pass, helping to justify other characters and additions: these characters not only can bring in extra sales for that piece of DLC (and maybe the season pass): they also bring in some new players who will have to buy the base game first. And honestly, I think Namco probably looks around at the cooperative licensing landscape right now and thinks "Hmmm, maybe this is the time that we try to counter one of Smash Bros. main sources of appeal, by adding like ten of these mofos!" Personally, I say more power to them. First off, I think PS does a phenomenal job in translating these characters in a way that is both faithful but also works with the SC engine/approach. Of course, its also down to choosing characters carefully in that respect.

The only real problem with the system in the past (and the one I see voiced most frequently as a fear with regard to SCVI) is that too much over-reliance on the guests can unreasonably shrink the pool of returning SC characters. But that may be an out-dated way of looking at it now. If a guest is a consistent part of a four character season pass that also includes a few hundred creation items and three returning or original SC characters, and maybe a stage or two? I say bring it the f--- on; I'll buy ten of those.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn’t mind Rock coming back. I get he’s not the most popular character ever, but it doesn’t mean he’s like the biggest flop Namco has brought to the table. But really, I’d be fine with him being DLC down the line. Do I think he’s going to be in Season 2? Probably not. But for a possible Season 3 however...

Personally I like Rock as a character way more than I like the Edge Lord himself. I think his story with Bangoo "could have" been interesting enough to roll with and eventually make way for Bangoo as a fighter himself, but as we all know that never happened. T-T

Having said that, I think it is possible that the season pass originally forecasted 6 fighters, but instead here we are with only four. With Hwang/Yun and and Setsuka being almost a sure thing there's only one other slot remaining.

I'm with Nyte, I don't think it would be wise to waste that final slot on Rock. I think that each of these releases really have to make a pretty big impact if there is any hope at all for a season 3, so unfortunately for Rock it doesn't look good seeing as how he's been in and out of the roster all throughout the series. I think Hilde has a better chance at this point, although I don't think it will be her either to be honest. I'm stumped on who it will be, but if I was to be hopeful of anything I'd hope for Edge Master with a Unique style rather than being a Mimic. I think that would be sick.

Lastly, I could see rock appearing as a stand alone DLC at some point down the road or just his creation parts becoming available in one of the CaS packs.

Last edited:
I've noticed the Hwang demand is a bit greater than i originally thought so i'm betting money he's locked on season 2. Setsuka's the next sure thing. No way they ignore her popularity any further. The last spot is a toss up between Rock or Lizardman. I used to be in the anti Rock camp but as i said some time ago, that was a lot easier to say before season 1. Why are they not putting in Yun or Hilde instead? Well, you gotta have some degree of popularity left to headline season 3 right? I'm also hoping they at least have enough common sense not to put Yun and Hwang on the same season.

I've noticed the Hwang demand is a bit greater than i originally thought so i'm betting money he's locked on season 2. Setsuka's the next sure thing. No way they ignore her popularity any further. The last spot is a toss up between Rock or Lizardman. I used to be in the anti Rock camp but as i said some time ago, that was a lot easier to say before season 1. Why are they not putting in Yun or Hilde instead? Well, you gotta have some degree of popularity left to headline season 3 right? I'm also hoping they at least have enough common sense not to put Yun and Hwang on the same season.

Where are you seeing the Hwang demand? My judgement is clouded on this matter because I am a big Hwang fan.

I am sure the devs are aware that people want Hwang, I just am not sure if they are willing to meet the demand when Yun-Seong is probably an easier work in.

As for Rock, there is a decent chance the silver banner in the pass represents him. But I won't stake my life on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back