DLC Theory: Stone *is* Rock

That said, I think a third season is not just probable, but highly likely, considering 1) how much Namco surely wants to establish a continuing support / presumed multiple season pass sales model for its fighters, and 2) the hype wave the game is currently riding, and I expect that Rock will be introduced earlier in that season. But I just don't think he has the demand / uniqueness working for him to seize those two hotly contested spots in Season Two. Although that grey spot does leave open at least an outside possibility.

I hope Soul Calibur does get a season 3 : )! It would be amazing. But, I don’t think Bandai Namco would use Soul Calibur specifically as a means to establish/normalize season passes for fighters. Bandai Namco seems to have done season passes for many of its games already (including fighters). But, I still have hope for a Soul Calibur season 3!

On a side note, for the umpteen-illionth time, that poll means absolutely nothing...it represents less than one-thousandth of return players / potential consumers and thus has virtually no empirical weight and Namco would never base their content decisions off of it. It was cheap viral marketing in between titles, nothing more.

I agreed with this view initially. But, now, I think this poll has weight. It definitely worked to gather some Soul Calibur fans together. Although this poll only represents a portion of the Soul Calibur community, it does seem to strongly reflect the characters chosen for the game and dlc. There are exceptions ( Astaroth for example), but he is kind of a staple character. There is no guaranteed way of knowing. We will have to leave it to Project Soul : )

Honestly, I see virtually no difference between those designs. They are all just cliche mountain-of-meat, pop-fantasy barbarian designs, with the obligatory furs, animal head, bracers, and loincloth. I mean, literally the only substantive difference between all four is that he doesn't have open-toed sandals in one! I agree that the in-game facial model for IV does have a certain "if you put wide-frame glasses on him, this guy is wanted in four states on sexual assault charges" vibe about it. But the concept designs themselves are virtually indistinguishable in the generalities.

Sorry to be disagreeing with you so much Rusted Blade lol. I like talking about these things with everyone here : )!

These designs do look a little similar. But, I think they all are accurate in portraying Rock’s character as a wild man of sorts. There are other pictures that better (in my opinion) capture Rock as a character though.

1573599322465.jpeg

1573599354722.jpeg

1573599443425.jpeg

Some of these pictures depict him as almost completely animal like. Others give off a hunter-like vibe. In particular, the picture with Rock in white (with Bangoo) stands out (to me). I think returning to the game like this would gain attention: attractive and hunter-like. Something we don’t have right now.

Last edited:
Wild Idea/Theory Warning:

I have noticed something on the season 2 pass slots. It is very difficult to see and is probably nothing T.T

The bottom left and right of each slot has a small detail of the color associated with the picture. The grey slot is the clearest one to me. It seems as though the ground is breaking?...•_•

I was hoping someone with computer skills could take a better look at these (possibly unimportant) areas lol.

1573598177841.jpeg

Wild Idea/Theory Warning:

I have noticed something on the season 2 pass slots. It is very difficult to see and is probably nothing T.T

The bottom left and right of each slot has a small detail of the color associated with the picture. The grey slot is the clearest one to me. It seems as though the ground is breaking?...•_•

I was hoping someone with computer skills could take a better look at these (possibly unimportant) areas lol.

View attachment 67969
Nice find, I never would have noticed that. The gold seems to have some shine, possibly referencibg that Hilde is a beacon of hope, or a shining light of hope for her people. There seems to be either petals or fire for the pink. Based on this im guessing its referencing setsuka being associated with cherry blosdoms. The main thing that gets me though, is that the grey looks like a crack, kinda like what happens when rock is heated up and cooled down. On the otger hand it could be a subtle hint at lizzy as he attacked rock in the past.

Nice find, I never would have noticed that. The gold seems to have some shine, possibly referencibg that Hilde is a beacon of hope, or a shining light of hope for her people. There seems to be either petals or fire for the pink. Based on this im guessing its referencing setsuka being associated with cherry blosdoms. The main thing that gets me though, is that the grey looks like a crack, kinda like what happens when rock is heated up and cooled down. On the otger hand it could be a subtle hint at lizzy as he attacked rock in the past.

Haha, thank you! I was shocked when I noticed it lol. Mr. Okubo did mention there being a hint on the picture of the season pass. But, I just assumed he was referring to the colors and the swords. I still am scared of this theory’s credibility (because I noticed it lol). But, those cracks in the grey slot are really clear.

Nice find on the petals/fire! I kind of see a flower. I really hope someone can take a look at these. For the yellow, I’m not sure what I see lol. I understand your vision for it @Ukkesh. It makes sense. I also kind of see the end of a cape? Trying to avoid confirmation bias here lol

Looked at the pictures again. I think Dissidia is right (as much as it hurts to say it lol). I still think I see a fabric/cape in the yellow slot (before Hilde is placed there). But, when Hilde is placed, it becomes clear that a picture of Soul Edge being destroyed is behind her. Sorry for giving you false hope @Ukkesh •_•

If this is the last Season Pass then I doubt that Rock will be in it. It would be disappointing if they forget about Hwang or Yun-seong. If Rock is in this Season Pass then I'm expecting a Season 3.

I'm not gonna bother hoping for Hwang to come back since it's really late at this point and that last spot could really be anyone. However, if there is a Season 3, who is going to carry that lineup? The fact that Season 2 has Hilde and expected to have Setsuka makes this Season already loaded.

While I would like Rock to come back, I'm gonna be real honest and say he can't headline a Season Pass and is more of a filler. Although I would personally buy it, a lineup of Hwang, Aeon, and Rock will simply not sell and popular characters need to be staggered. If we do get a Season 3 then our lineup could look something like this:

Season 2
Hilde
Haohmaru
Setsuka
Rock

Season 3
Hwang
New/Guest
Aeon
Yun-seong

The problem with this Season 3 though is putting Hwang and Yun-seong in the same season. So maybe the lineup could also look something like this:

Season 2
Hilde
Haohmaru
Setsuka
Hwang

Season 3
Aeon
New/Guest
Rock
Yun-seong

The question here though is if Yun-seong and this guest or new character has a popularity strong enough to carry Aeon and Rock.

I think we can see less popular characters like Rock in the game but a popular character is going to have to carry the Season Pass. If there is a perfect time to add Rock in the game then it's this season since Hilde and Setsuka can definitely carry him and the pass will still be profitable. But I would definitely be disappointed if this is the last season since I would much rather have Hwang or at the very least Yun-seong.

@Rusted Blade I just feel like Rock's SC3 outfit shows the most "effort" they've put into his design and feels like a step up from the others. I like the white (polar bear?) fur and the strange mythical beast for his helmet.

He looked fine model wise in SC3.

But idk it seems like in SC4 they created him with the creation presets or something. His face is absolutely hideous!

1573621643962.png

Screenshot (99).png

second pic is horrifying!!!!!!!!!!!

Imo I feel like Rock's lameness and appearance in SC4 is what contributed to people ranking him so low. If his last appearance was SC3 I think people wouldn't be so hostile to him!

@Rusted Blade I just feel like Rock's SC3 outfit shows the most "effort" they've put into his design and feels like a step up from the others. I like the white (polar bear?) fur and the strange mythical beast for his helmet.

He looked fine model wise in SC3.

But idk it seems like in SC4 they created him with the creation presets or something. His face is absolutely hideous!

View attachment 67974

View attachment 67975

second pic is horrifying!!!!!!!!!!!

Imo I feel like Rock's lameness and appearance in SC4 is what contributed to people ranking him so low. If his last appearance was SC3 I think people wouldn't be so hostile to him!
Honestly, that is horrible, he looks like classic triple H turned into a meth addict.

So I’ve asked this in another topic awhile back but do you think they would include Rock story post SC1 if he makes the cut?

I ask because the timeline placement will determine if he gets an Axe or a Mace

It's most likely that his story would be his SoulCalibur story, where he starts off with the axe, Bangoo will be kidnapped by Aeon, Aeon will break the axe, but Bangoo will be saved, and the story would end with him getting his mace and pledging his intentions to protect Bangoo for the future.

So the SC3 voice actor for Rock was actually around 80 years old when he did the role! He's got a commanding voice and has got quite the credits to his name.

I do hope they find someone new to voice Rock if he comes back, as the one in SC4 sounded generic..

Back