FF Versus Possibly Canned

There you said it, how can you give an objective critic if you didn't even finish the game? to review a game you have to finish if someone here tells me that didn't like the game but completed it I will take that critic into consideration otherwise is just pure whining for having a different game than the good old days...

Honestly you could critic a game from just the first 10 hours and if your not enjoying a game within those couple of hours why bother finishing it? There is no god ol days argument with me here cause honestly every FF was different after 6 so people who complain about the good ol days can just live in the past. FF changed drastically after 7 then it changed again with 8 with the junction system and then it change in 9 when it went back to fantasy. Like i said my argument with the game was it was down right boring for me and the overall characters in the game minus Sazh was well boring and not engaging enough for me to care for them. The story itself was dull and delivered very poorly and it did actually require you to read some of the excerpts.

The music is A+ which is FF forte so i cant complain there but the battle system... Well the battle system reminded me of FFX-2 but the difference... X-2 battle system was 10x more fun than break the enemy and gang rape him with air combos. Personally wasnt my cup o tea and the Auto-battle is a coin toss argument cause as you stated before you dont have to use it. But, why wouldn't you? It kinda is there so the casual fan would just pick it any way.

So yes I didn't finish FFXIII but it took 10 hours of my time and within those 10 hours I didn't enjoy anything from it and I literally fell asleep. The linear line thing didnt bother me since I did it in FFX and I enjoyed X for what it was but the overall feel of this game was a drag and for me if im not having a good time im not going to bother to force myself to continue. So for those who did enjoy themselves I wont argue against them because they enjoyed themselves for liking the game but dammit dont get on me for the fact that i gave a honest opinion of my experience and i didnt enjoy it. So in the end FFXIII was just a bad FF FOR ME and it still wont change the fact that i didnt like it.

No, srsly no. You can say you didn't like a game after playing a little, but no, hell no, you can't give an objective critic if you don't finish the game. Like Solo said is like saying SCV after playing 4 hours.

I got three quaters into FFXIII and gave up. I tried my hardest to get into the game, I didn't read any reviews or see any spoilers but I just couldn't get into the game.

Now that is a matter of taste and I like your post cause you are not attacking the game like some other people with fanboy hate inside. You played it didn't click for you period. I played Dark Souls like 3 hours and sold the game the same day, didn't click for me I have no idea if the game is good or bad I just didn't like it, personal taste.

^Don't use my sarcastic remark to help you in this argument. :P

To me though, if a game isn't fun to you after that amount of time you can critic it. In a sense games are like a book, there has to be something there to hook you at the beginning or you won't have the incentive to play any further. Also just like books it has to stay interesting to maintain your level of interest. Without something to hook you to a game I think you can complain about it not being fun simply because it didn't interest you but you also have to consider if that genre is even your cup of tea. If you don't like the genre at all you shouldn't complain because you won't like it no matter what simply because you don't like the genre.

Now that people mention FFX-2, its funny because as fun as it was, i thought its battle system was super repetitive because most of the time a simple physical attack did the job, so all you were doing 90% of the game, was clicking x over and over again to let them do the obvious shit over and over again. To a lesser extent this applies to all previous FF's in general.

Imo the semi automated system was a step in the right direction because it was more convenient. Rather than giving the same dumb and obvious command again, you give them the basic tactic they have to use and only change if you want to use a different strategy when needed. This is actually a very smart system.

I played all FF's (except 3) and i can honestly say, FFXIII is one of the most challenging FF's. People just don't realize that clicking X 10.000 times to let them attack over and over again is NOT smarter than just giving the basic command, ok from now on you'll use physical attacks until i say otherwise. No, its actually a more comfortable system that got rid of the unnecessary dumb stuff.

People don't realize how deep the combat system in FF13 is. They think is a matter of setting up previous to the battle and press X...WRONG!. You can't defeat the freaking giant turtles with that you need to change paradigms in the blink of an eye there are tricks like using death not to kill but to combine it with a physical attack or sentinel right into cerberus for maximum damage. The freaking combat system is really awesome.

To be honest I also almost leave the game hanging after 15 hours, it was getting tedious and boring but guys...once you reach Pulse is all worth it. The game goes from worst FF to one of the best the setting is just mind blowing is like a dream for any fan...is perfect.

I think the problem with FFXIII was, that the balance between dungeon fights and boss fights wasn't very good. The normal fights were too easy, so you rarely had to change plans (this is not much different from older FF's though) boss fights on the other hand were really challenging (much more than older games actually imo), especially the deeper you got into the game.

The problem I think was the first 20 hours of the game cause is really boring even though is greatly improves after that. If the start would have been as awesome as Pulse I'm sure we wouldn't be having this argument.

So if Mind Jack was amazing for its final 10 minutes of gameplay it would invalidate the last 12 hours of boring awfulness? Nope, 10 hours was plenty enough for me to decide I didn't like FF13. And two boss battles of Sheva getting in my way, despite the battles themselves being simple, were enough for me to dislike RE5.

Your game should not take 20 hours to start. It should start when I turn it on.

Im with landslide on this I mean if you think 10 hours is truly not enough time to invest in a game and critic in then man your a tough critic. You must hate the video game review reviewers then because they are allowed to review a game as long as they are close enough to the end when they have to meet a deadline. I mean Az I respect your opinion but I think your wrong when it comes to critique for some people. For you the only way is to finish it while for some if you invest time and dont like it then you drop it. Like Landslide said a game should want you to play it from the moment you start not wait to build a build up then go "PLAY ME."

I heard that argument also that XIII does get great when you hit the 20th hour but the problem is the game set it self up for fail when your not enjoying the first 10 hours which is a very terrible gameplay setup. You set your product up to be over before it even started.

Also why we still arguing about XIII? I mean this is about versus lol and in the end the tide will never change and it will come down to who truly enjoyed the game and who truly hated the game. In the end it wont change our minds what we think about it.... so... can we talk about versus now?

I think you have to take some things into consideration. Most games first hour sucks because you are mostly busy with some tutorial and shit but you say meh the rest of its 10 hours will probably be good so you accept it. For a game like final fantasy the numbers are just a bit higher, you'll easily spend like 50-100 hours in the game, so 10 hours in comparison is less bad than it sounds. Granted, it was too long but if you drop the game because you didn't like its first hours, you are missing out on the like 40-90 great hours.

On the other hand a game thats only 12 hours long and only one if it is actually good, than that game can be rightfully called trash.

I respect your point Kenji, dont share it, but respect it. And yes having to go through 20 hours of boredom is a bad set up, big mistake there and that is why this FF is not my fav. Moving on! Now that FFvXIII is not cancelled I'm putting the little faint I have left in SE into this game cause it reminds me a lot of KH2.

I think you have to take some things into consideration. Most games first hour sucks because you are mostly busy with some tutorial and shit but you say meh the rest of its 10 hours will probably be good so you accept it. For a game like final fantasy the numbers are just a bit higher, you'll easily spend like 50-100 hours in the game, so 10 hours in comparison is less bad than it sounds. Granted, it was too long but if you drop the game because you didn't like its first hours, you are missing out on the like 40-90 great hours.

On the other hand a game thats only 12 hours long and only one if it is actually good, than that game can be rightfully called trash.

I understand what you are trying to say, but FF13 is not so complicated a game that the tutorial should have taken as long as it did. It is, in fact, the SIMPLEST RPG I have ever played. And the game started right before it ended. Inexcusable for $60.

10 hours and a RPG should be able to kick off right away because every RPG kicks off withing the first couple of hours it is about a hook that makes you want to stay. Xenoblade did it within 3 hours and tales of vesperia for me did it within the first 2 hours for me. Wont go into XIII no more but all I can say it did lack a hook for me to care but thats enough about that. I believe Versus should be ok because its well... a real time system with a nice looking atmosphere. xD

What I read about versus is that the world is gonna be an open world like in the old FF games. Wonder if exactly the same or some variation more limited

Meh its not like they couldn't have done it all in one hour but the way they did it was, to give you one element and let you play a few hours with it, than added the next one aso. I personally don't mind this at all because you can really focus on one element at a time and dabble into it a little deeper, otherwise some stuff just doesn't really get its "spotlight" and gets a little lost under the other good stuff.
But of course thats subjective, like the point that FFXIII would be simple. IMO its easily more complex than most previous FF's (baring FF12, which was also very deep) but as said, things like that can be subjective.

Back