Gaming affecting your eyesight?

Fuzion

[09] Warrior
I recently took a vision test for fun, and to my suprise I have perfect vision in my right eye and exceptional vision in my left eye. The actual numbers, respectively, were 1.5 and 1.2 - whatever that means. I'm suprised though because I've logged a stupid amount of hours playing PC and console games since about age 11, and always remember my mom warning me that it was going to ruin my eyes someday.

Is it possible that focusing like that on details in the game, or trying to read moves, is actually a strengthening exercise? What do you guys think, has your eyesight been impaired over the years of playing video games or actually remained healthy?

Eyesight is mainly hereditary, unless you do something drastic with them it won't affect your eyesight. Also there was a study that I seen that watching tv for hours or being on the computer for hours will not affect your overall eyesight. Those activities will only make them tired.

I'm extremely nearsighted but the doctor says it's from staring at a computer for too long rather than gaming.

No. I have 20/20 vision, had it all my life, and I play games all the time, work on a computer and stare at the sun. (sometimes)

Depending on what types of games you play, it may make your reading capability better.
Playing an FPS, where you need to notice every inch of your screen from corners to the center will give your eyes a workout, and thus allow you to take in more with less strain over time.

I dunno, my eyesight's getting worse in one eye.

I need a monocle. D:

I would think it has plenty to do with many different factors ; How long you play, the brightness , how close you are to the screen, how often you blink, how often you actually take a break, is the room well lit, etc. Just a few I could come up with.

I don't play loads but i never take breaks... My mom used to say to me every 15 mins I had to go look out into the distance for 30 secs lol....

Can't really tell if its effected them tbh

I dunno what my vision is, but i was told my eyes are sensitive to light, which wasn't natural. Sid to be from watching a lot of TV/games. of course i have no idea

I dunno, my eyesight's getting worse in one eye.

I need a monocle. D:

lol.

Also I'm pertty sure it has a lot to do with a lot of factors as well. I always have had a tendency to over focus my eyes, to the point where I have vivid memories of singling out individual pixels in games like starcraft, unreal tournament and command and conquer. I'm pretty sure that was bad for my eyes.

Back