Guest Speech: Bibulus on Commentary

Time for another guest column, kids! I’ve had some family obligations crop up recently, as well as a dire need to make some deadlines with my other writing, so Hate Speech is going intermittent for a while. I’ll still be posting articles from time to time, but, in addition to that, keep your eye out for these guest pieces as well as some other types of new content coming your way. –Hates

When I was asked to do this piece, the first thing I thought was Day9 or djWHEAT should be doing this. Then I realized that with fighting games there is such a different pacing that the tactics for casting have changed to fit the format. I still think you should look up everything those guys have to say about commentary, but as it's a different format you have to take it with a grain of salt. When it comes to FGC commentary I really feel like S-Kill, Skisonic and the UltraChen duo really know WTF they are talking about, I dunno if they have done anything similar to this... But if they did I would love to read it.

For those of you who don't already know me I'm Bibulus (@BrewtusBibulus) and I have been a part of the FGC for over a decade. The past couple of years I have done a lot of commentary for SCV at majors such as NEC, Winter Brawl, Final Round and most recently MLG Columbus, Fighting Arena and Prizefights. Hates asked me to fill in, so I chose this topic because lately people have been asking me how to level up their commentary games.

Personally I treat it like leveling up in a fighting game, I watch my videos to analyze my mistakes and I am always looking for new ways to improve. This can be pulling move names from other communities or just finding different ways to say the same thing for the 4th time today. The important things to leveling up is to take an honest look at what you've done and critique it. Listen to the haters before you dismiss them, because there might be truth to the hate... Oh and never let what you're doing go to your head.

Understanding Your Audience – You need to be aware of who you're dealing with, how else do you know what they want to hear?

The_Riddler_(BF).jpg
What is this dude looking to see?

There are 2 types of viewers... The informed and the uninformed. They will always be present and you need to keep a format which brings them both into the game. If you focus too much on one and not the other you will lose one side, so you need to find a happy medium. That happy medium resides at some points in point blank catering towards either side while at most times just dropping hints towards them both.

Examples: If I was casting SF4 and I explained that DP has invincibility frames earlier in the day, I could refer to the wakeup DP in all sorts of ways to highlight that property and draw in the informed and uninformed such as “DP invincibility right through your meaty” or mention it's unsafe “He risked his life with that DP” or just listen to UltraChen... Because they're great at stating things with a reminder of important move properties thrown in.

Just remember you don't always need to remind people of everything that a move brings to the table every time it comes out. You want to throw out a part of the puzzle and over time the uninformed viewer will see the full picture. Also notable that the uninformed viewer is often not going to pick up the DP properties from a 2 minute diatribe about what it can be used for, they will typically take one or 2 things from rants like that... So don't worry about telling them if you can drop those hints as the cast goes on.

the rock.jpg

Know Your Role: The common dynamic for commentary is 2 people with 1 focused on color and one focused on analysis. I will use this model for the sake of consistency, you can still apply most of this stuff to 3 person commentary if you wish if you just come to an understanding of who does what. There are various roles to be covered like:

Color (Yipes) – This is hard to put into words. The oohs and aahs you speak into the mic which help to add feeling to the match at hand. You can also consider shouting move names, player handles and anything which by itself would just sound strange, but in the context of the game at hand seem ever so relevant.

Analysis (The dude who knows who he's talking about) – This is where you go out of your way to explain the how's and why's of gameplay. In general you want to keep it short, because anything can and will happen in a fighting game. Don't be scared to cut yourself short to talk about what's going on right now or just happened, just try and bring it back during downtime (I actually write that stuff down to make sure I remember to mention it between games).

Play by Play (The Hockey Announcer) – If any of you have ever heard a hockey broadcast, you will notice that it's 90% play by play where the announcer is just helping the people to keep up with the action. This can be important in fighting games as well, but you have to do much more. If you get caught up with play by play you're going to end up saying move names the whole time. IMO the play by play should be used for really clutch moments after color and in general to be dropped once analysis should take place.

Host (The Man Behind the Curtains) – This doesn't have to be a third party, but the ones that let you know where you are in the event, bring you in and out of downtime and help you realize where this stream lies in the event itself. Those are host duties which can be picked up by either commentator and always require someone to feed them information, shout outs to the guys like Spooky and PotatoHead who keep the commentators in touch with the stuff they don't see from inside the box.

As you can see the roles are somewhat varied and often it's not defined who does what. With great commentary teams such as Tastosis and UltraChen they will typically shore off specific roles to one side of the desk, but there are still times where they find themselves in the opposite role. That comes back to the chemistry side of things,

Now that you have an idea of the basic format, here are some rules of thumb:

Rule-Of-Thumb.jpg

1 – Don't talk over the guy next to you. This is the #1 rule of “professional” commentary... and it doesn't really apply here if you take it too seriously. You don't want to talk over the guy next to you, but if there is analysis going on and something insane just happened, you can feel free to interject with color. Now if it was a game like Starcraft you can see things coming and have an idea of a timeline where you can wrap up what you were saying, but fighters are paced too differently and one counter hit with the right move can be a huge momentum swing with no warning. Which feeds right into the next point.

2 – Develop a repoire with the guy sitting next to you. There needs to be a feel between the commentators as to where one starts and the other begins, thus creating a back and forth dialogue with minimal downtime. You also need to have a sense of where to stop as the analysis guy and let the color dude fill in because insanity just hit the screen. It takes a bit of experience and chemistry, but it's why commentary duo's are duo's instead of just guys you can pair with anyone for the same results.

3 – Keep the energy flowing. This one is kinda hard to put into words... You need to try and keep the match exciting even when it looks like it could be a blowout. I will typically recant some of the players I have seen the loser make comebacks again or tease that I haven't seen said player make comebacks... Can this be the first? You don't have to salesman it to death, but make sure you remind the viewers that it's not a foregone conclusion. The important thing is the climax of the match should be the end, don't finish early... Also what she said :)

4 – Tell the story... djWHEAT mentions this one a lot and I'm in there with him. You need to use time between games to recant the history of the players involved. The more you can bring the interest of the viewer towards the players themselves and not the game, the more interested they become. Talk about the trash talk that went on last night, the way they played against each other the last time and the history the players have in the scene. Not all at once, but when you cut up all that info into smaller chunks you now have relevant background for the next 5 matches that either player plays. Naturally lean towards the history that puts them both in the spotlight if available.

5 – Downtime is to be avoided at all costs and if it's unavoidable, make it interesting. This covers multiple points, I'm going to start with mid match downtime, ideally someone will be talking for the whole match barring small interrupts. You want to work with the guy sitting next to you where when one stops talking the other picks it up. Easily done, just keep some things to talk about on tap and don't get attached to them. Like if you are really impressed by his use of move x or tactic y and your partner kicks it back to you. Bring it up if there isn't something more pressing to chat about, but if there is something else to talk about then keep it on tap for next time.

Downtime from delays... This can be anything from a console issue to players not found to the guy coming out of losers is throwing up in the bathroom. Whatever the cause, you're in front of the mic and there are no games to watch. Talk about the event, your favorite matches of the day, what you're looking forward to later and the matches coming up. Try and build up the story for the rest of the event, because if you don't keep viewers interested in what comes next they are going to go watch something else out of boredom. Keep them entertained and try to raise interest in the rest of what will happen if they stay tuned.

6 – Be original! As much as I think you should take from other people what works for you and build on it. You need to add originality or turn into carlos mencia, who just ripped off jokes from other comedians... You can steal lines from other guys, but make sure you aren't juts a parrot regurgitating the words of others. If you are then you're always going to be a substitute for the real thing. What you should do is take your own way of saying things and add in color from other people's bag of tricks. Change it, twist it, pervert it or whatever you want to do with it and above all else make the moment yours!

Naturally there is more to is than this, lots more... I just didn't want to go on for ages. I could probably write more about most of the bullet points and even some of the bullet points I got rid of for the sake of brevity. That's about it for now I hope you guys had half the fun reading this as I had writing it. If you have any questions, hit me up on twitter @BrewtusBibulus or check out my stream, because I answer questions from the chat all the time... and remember the first step to streaming is to get it on the air. Just start it, fuck fancy production bullshit and just make it work. You don't need instant replays to make an interesting stream... If you don't believe me check this out because that production quality is shit, but 450+ shows later he's one of the most prominent personalities in StarCraft 2. If you don't start you never get anywhere, so nike it up and just do it!

The only time of commentators I hate are the overly hype ones, and the ones that feel the need to give the notations of every move being used. Other than that I've been pretty content, especially with Bib's work.

Hey....I know I ahve been an ass to you and all. But this is a good read. You went to school for this? This is solid stuff. What you are saying IS TRUE. This is a namu moment.

Looking to UFC or Boxing commentary would be the closest analog to what a FG commentator needs to do, wouldn't it?

I would say SC needs a lot of play-by-play with analysis over color. Some may whine about it lacking hype, but nothing lacks hype more than a lack of an audience.

I think it is essential to note the explosive growth of SF4 as well as Starcraft2 and note the commentary styles that have been more prevalent there - play-by-play with analysis. I would speculate MvC2/3 require heavy doses of color due to the shear speed of the game; however, adept announcers also focus on the player's overall goal and the choices they made to achieve it (eg. use X-Factor early to remove Wesker).

Players in SC do make those choices (i.e. move A over B to achieve wall threat, RO threat, etc) and moves in SC do contain depth that warrants proper analysis.

Just my $0.02.

I almost feel like Hates made Bibulus do this cause of my lack of commentating prowess.
I failed to link the Vagina Driver comment into my remark about how M.Lizard was using so much Abortion Punch throw and that he didn't need to since he wasn't up against someone who was trying to impregnate herself with your face.
That and I promised a lot of blowing people up on stream but wasn't allowed to deliver.

I would say SC needs a lot of play-by-play with analysis over color. Some may whine about it lacking hype, but nothing lacks hype more than a lack of an audience.

I think it is essential to note the explosive growth of SF4 as well as Starcraft2 and note the commentary styles that have been more prevalent there - play-by-play with analysis. I would speculate MvC2/3 require heavy doses of color due to the shear speed of the game; however, adept announcers also focus on the player's overall goal and the choices they made to achieve it (eg. use X-Factor early to remove Wesker).

Players in SC do make those choices (i.e. move A over B to achieve wall threat, RO threat, etc) and moves in SC do contain depth that warrants proper analysis.

Just my $0.02.

I think Play-by-play would be too difficult to realistically do in a consistent and entertaining way. SC moves really fast, maybe not in the direct actions, but the underlying mind games and nuances that take place at every second in a match make it difficult to recant the action. There is so much happening behind the scenes that simply retelling what has happened wont come close to covering the crucial details that really tell viewers what's going on.

Personally i think the ideal formula would be a focus on analysis and color, with play-by-play taking a back seat. Play-by-play is helpful in big packed arenas where people have to sit pretty far from the screen. And if this is commentary purely for the stream, then the viewer can already see what is directly going on. What they dont see is what's going on in the players minds, the information behind the scenes, and what tactics are being employed and how they are going about achieving what looks to be their strategy.

At least from how i saw it, play-by-play was separate from analysis. And i think Soul Calibur just moves too quickly and frantically to have a lot of play-by-play. You can fill a whole match with analysis and color while retelling the key moments of a fight where it matters. Soul Calibur may not be Marvel level equivalents of speed, but in its own way it moves nearly as fast.

One of my biggest pet peeves is announcers not actually talking about what is happening in the match.

You don't need to call out every move when it happens, but tell us why they are doing what they are doing. Talk about momentum. Overall strategy. Player playstyle as it applies to the match. Even some player history is really useful. If you disagree with a choice point it out and move on without spending the rest of the set talking about what you would have done. Along those lines, talking about yourself more than the guys playing is really off-putting.

Side banter is cool, but keep it to a minimum during the action. It should be mostly reserved for breaks between matches and on-topic quips during the matches. If what you're seeing isn't interesting enough to keep your attention as a commentator, why should it be interesting enough for me to watch at all?

Finally, let hype come naturally instead of trying to inject it into nearly every single moment of every single match. That's essentially the same as creating anti-hype, because nothing feels special to the uninitiated.

Just as a point of clarity (I should have said as much) I see FG play-by-play as similar to boxing's and not baseballs. IMO, what S-kill and Ultra David do is play-by-play with analysis and they are hands down the best casting duo in FGs.

@Master_Thespian I agree to a point... To some degree you need to hype things up, but you can overdo it.

@Runis Give it time, you know where you need to level up so just work on it every time you get the chance.

@WCMaxi & taffertier Honestly I think if you prioritized play by play over color there would be no color at all. Play by play is everywhere and really isn't too different from color a lot of times, because you can segue into analysis from either point. I agree that informing people so they can enjoy the game without commentary in the future is paramount, but you have to have fun with it. If it boiled down to play by play and analysis the whole time, it could quickly be cut and dry once the matches weren't amazing.

@Marginal Probably... But when UFC or Boxing is going on I typically do my own color unless it's a crowded bar or some setting where it's too loud for people to hear it.

@CY No school except the one where you taught yourself. It's not hard to pick it up because there are guys like Day9 and djWHEAT who are all over the internet offering insights into how to do it. You just need to adapt their insights to your format and run with it.

I might agree, but I don't feel that at all when watching S-kill + Ultra David or any of the good casting combos in Starcraft2. I do want to rip my ears off at some of the "color" commentary that has floated around SCV.

Simple logic dictates SCV's audience is small, thus no matter what, laymen viewers will exceed knowledge viewers. This means overarching meta-game, overarching analysis, etc will be more critical than random jokes or just screaming random "hype" comments. Simple example, football game, announcer screams "Did you see that!! Did you see that!!", housewife looking on thinks, "I don't know but I'll nod and pretend I did." She's not feeling hype, entertained, nor informed; likely just awkward. If the announcer gave a little detail as to why he was blowing up, then she'd be more likely to feel as the announcer indented.

I think the issue is:
1. My audience wants me to be entertaining.
VERSUS
2. My audience wants me to present my (expert) view on this moment in an entertaining way.

Right now, most casting in SCV is 1. The 2nd prioritizes the (expert) view over being entertaining, but doesn't forget the value of entertainment.

I think my perception is skewed by simply doing play by play in a colorful manner and thinking of it as color. If you count color as simply hype comments, random nonsense and mind exploding reactions... I can see where you come from and agree with it. That should be filler for when my mind is busy being exploded

If you look at S-kill + U.David they are 1 deep analysis + player information (S-kill) and 1 colored analysis (U.David). Day9 + djWheat = analysis w/ color x2 (more analysis from Day9, more color from Wheat). Tasteless + Artosis is a similar blend, but they both do more color than analysis.

Esca:
I didn't want to say it... but I'm not a fan of Artosis' casting... Tasteless is a legend however.

@Marginal Probably... But when UFC or Boxing is going on I typically do my own color unless it's a crowded bar or some setting where it's too loud for people to hear it.
Heh. I'm usually thinking about how the guy's going to lose a hold or is getting set up for a triangle or how circling into the power hand's idiotic etc.

Usually while saying aloud, "Shut up Rogan" as he explains a situation that has nothing to do with the developing action. (Usually this happens when a guy's clearly already lost the sub chance and Joe's still prattling on about it.)

How can you hate on Artosis? That dude is like the best analyst in SC2... Sure he blows at everything else, but there are very few guys that can hold a candle to how awesome that dude is at analysis

Live streams

8 Viewers
SC_Shadow78
SC_Shadow78
Got power outage but it get back after a few minutes (Still short stream)
6 Viewers
mellogoose
mellogoose
Getting that practice in

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member