Hate Speech: Character Selection

Our recent discussion of tiers sparked some interesting side discussion about why people select their main characters. Think back, for a moment to how you came to play your main character(s). What motivated your decision? Was it strategic, or did it just happen?

As with all new iterations of the game, SC5 will probably herald another large-scale shift in mains—I’ve mained a different character in every version of Calibur, myself—and we’ll also have an influx of players new to competitive Soul Calibur who are also looking for characters.

That being the case, I thought I’d devote this week to the ins and outs of character selection.

Radical Instrumentalism—It’s Not Just For Yngwie Malmsteen Anymore

OnAzK.jpg
Who?

The general principle I recommend in choosing a character is one of radical instrumentalism—that of seeing your particular character as ultimately a tool for you to use in order to achieve victory. It’s self-evident, right? Perhaps, but not as much as one might think. Indeed, the operative word in my definition above isn’t “tool,” but “you.” If selecting a character was simply a matter of choosing whichever gives the general player the best shot at winning, the process would be no more complex than consulting a tier list, but while such lists are excellent points of departure for the search, they’re not gospel. Your primary concern when approaching character selection should always be finding the character that gives you, as an individual player, the best shot at victory.

hI9IO.jpg
If only manliness was the best shot at victory in Soul Calibur, this guy would win everything forever.

Before we can do that, however, we need to engage in a little self-analysis. Think about your own play across a variety of games. Go back and watch videos if you have that luxury. The goal here is to create an inventory of your strengths, weaknesses, and preferences. Do you prefer fast characters, slower characters, or a mixture of the two? Would you rather be proactive about pushing mix-ups, or would you rather rely on defense and punishment? Are you good at highly technical or demanding execution? Do you fight better up close or from a distance? Ask yourself these and similar questions, taking care to answer them for yourself as honestly as possible. From this you can get a sense of what type of player you are, which in turn will give you some clues as to which characters might best suit you.

qbw49.png
Interestingly, this character appeals to people who want to win, and people who have other... tastes. Rarely do they meet.

Selection Models

1. Complementary: The complementary model involves choosing the character that most dramatically rewards the things at which you are already skilled, be they 50/50 mix-ups, making difficult punishes, zoning, etc. You simply identify those things at which you are most skilled and then find the character that gives you the best payoff.

2. Supplementary: The inverse of the complementary model, the supplementary approach involves finding a character with strengths that offset your own weaknesses. If you aren’t the best at complicated punishes, for example, a character with easy, brain-dead punishers might raise the overall level of your game.

3. Tier-Only: Some players are well-rounded enough to select a character based exclusively on that character’s strength relative to the rest of the cast. In that case, it truly is just a matter of finding the most powerful member of the cast and hitting the lab.

4. Ease-of-Use: For players with a generally high fighting game IQ who don’t necessarily have game-specific skills. If you’re just learning the game, or if you’re a smart player who doesn’t want to be encumbered by lots of technical marginalia, this is something to consider.

5. The Novelty Act: Knowing that most players tend to clump around self-evidently powerful or aesthetically interesting characters, this model involves purposefully seeking out a less-used character in order to gain additional advantages over opponents who may likely be ignorant of what yours can do at a high level.

There’s obviously some overlap within these models, so consider them more as general guidelines for consideration rather than exclusive categories.

A note on aesthetics: To this point, I haven’t made much of what a character looks like, how “cool” a character is, and so on, but don’t think that this consideration has no place in character selection. In fact, I’m firmly convinced that the more we like our characters, the more we identify with them on some level, the more engaged we become and thus the better we play. Playing a character you find to be boring or stupid looking will put you on the fast track to under-performance. You’re often better off choosing the mid-tier character you like over the top-tier character you can’t stand.

Example Time

My own process follows the outline above fairly well. First, I rule out all female characters, Kilik, Maxi, and Yun because I refuse to play chicks.

aOrMY.jpg
Apparently, I'm going to need one of these around here.

I then start looking at bigger, slower characters, preferably as evil as possible. By initially filtering based on my aesthetic concerns, I’m left with a pool of characters that at least appear interesting to me. I then turn to my self-assessment. I’m good at being patient, fighting from a distance, landing slow, awkward moves on people, and parsing complex mix-up scenarios. I’m not very good at utilizing very fast moves. Going with the complementary model, I try to find characters that have range, reward patience, hit hard, and generally aren’t AA/BB/2A dependent, which narrows the field significantly.

Of the remaining characters, I just play around with them and find the one that feels the most natural. The process is still governed by “feel” and other difficult variables to quantify, but starting from a more logical, objective strategy I vastly decrease the odds that I end up wasting time on characters I ultimately won’t like or can’t play to their potential.

Homework
Tell me how you came to choose your own character(s). Will you be switching for SC5? For those of you who’ve already said you’ll be maining Viola, ZWEI, or another new character, what guided that decision?

*Editors Note: We will add the slider image as soon as we get it. There was a 50/50 mixup and we guessed wrong. Will tech that shit into the slider later.

For me, it isn't about winning, stupid high amounts of time. I like to pick a character where I know I will enjoy having a tough fight and still surprise the pros once in a while.

I LIKE to have at least a 50/50 win ratio though even if I am playing a weaker character. I consider myself an above average gamer, but I work and do not have time to fully commit to games like some youngsters.

bah. I need to sleep :P

it's wierd cause fighting games are the only games that i will actually pick a male character. i usually pick based off of appearance and story but also playstyle. if i play the character and like the way it goes i'll stick with them.

Before SCIV i'd just play whoever had the coolest looking moveset, since I really didn't know what I was doing, but now I try out all of the cast untill I find someone who I feel comfortable using.

In SCIV's case Tira, because I found her fun to play. Later on I discovered a bunch of her flaws, and tried to switch to a stronger character (Lizardman), but I ended up doing worse with him, because I had no knowledge of his matchups.
So I went back to Tira.

I don't win much, but I enjoy playing her, and it feels damn good when I win.

I'll probably keep playing her in SCV.

Hmm...

Personally I pick characters who naturally work with me.

I went with Talim in SC2 because I liked that her system of chaining basic attacks over complicated inputs.
In Melee, I liked the aerials (with easy launchers) of Sheik and Falcon, plus their high power for "speed" characters.
In Brawl, I used Ike because he worked (very minorly) to counterct the game's horrid floatyness with his power (Also FE fan), though I quickly gave up on Brawl.

I was always a fan of the nunchaku so Li Long in SB was a definite favorite for me. He had cool looking attacks along with some over the top attacks.

In SC2 I was introduced to Maxi and his whole style of misdirection and confusion coupled with the amount of moves he had was like a dream come true for me. Complexity is like a drug for me. The fact that he is cocky and loud is a big plus for me.

In SCIV I picked up Seigfried because I kept losing to him. What better way to beat your opponent than learn the use of all his tools properly or better.

I picked up Voldo in SCIV due to his crazy movements and high damage. I also noticed how pressured my opponents where from fear of CF.

Cass was picked up because a girl I was messing with at the time wanted to have sister fights and fortunately I really like her damage output, combo ability and tech trap game. Her CF is also beast.

I will continue to main Siegfried in SCV as long as there aren't any major changes to his play style.

I choose my characters based how they play and aesthetics. Usually the characters I play are mix-up heavy and some (like in Scorpion's case) 50/50. The entire character has to have some kind of cool swagger to them and a sense of style when I use them. With Tekken there is Baek and Lee. In Mortal Kombat, there is Scorpion, and Street Fighter, there is Ken.

Most of all, I can have fun with these characters despite losing or winning..

Cass because I'm best with her, decent damage. Then Talim because she's quick. Male side it would have to be Kilik, but that's rare. Cass has the only move set I know as of now, and she's good so eh, whatever

Dab'sWorldofWarcraftPlayingFriend said:
If your going to stare at a character for numerous hours, why not make it a chick?
But being completely serious now, I can't tell you why I play who I do. I can't tell you why I play a Breedlove over a Taylor, or a Fender over a Gibson. Or why an F82 Twin Mustang is one of the 'coolest things ever.'

Damage, speed, whatever. When I try Nightmare or Ivy or Voldo, I get frustrated. I can't hit jack with Maxi, Sieg is a refrigerator. Darth Vader, no, I don't like Star Wars.

We play who we play because we like to play them. That's how I have fun with the game. All those factors he mentioned apply. Playing Cassandra, and not knowing how to play just yet, I can't say whether she's complementary to supplementary to what I can do. Teir only I tend to ignore (Talim is fun to play too). Cass is the easiest to use for me so far. Soph is the same in this aspect. I'm no where near knowledgeable or skilled enough for the Novelty Act to come in to play. Why I prefer to play Cass or Soph, or why I've decided to main Patroklos or Pyrrah for SC5, can't tell you. I don't bother to look up frame data or stats. Move lists are as far as I've gotten now.

Though, the fact that I'm 1/2 Greek may have something to do with it. :)

It's a game, have fun right?

Interesting. On homework:

I'm sticking with Siegfried for SCV, but this time around I'm going to be much more open to picking up and using other characters at the same level.

Also, I have a list of other characters I use in fighting games here...and there isn't really any central theme that they all share. In fact, it's pretty much all over the place. Of note, some characters, their playstyle emphases, and what they are in relation to me, color coded to match my strengths to complementary, and weaknesses to supplementary:

Soul Calibur - Siegfried: Stance heavy. 50/50 mixups. Spacing. Complementary.
Tekken -Dragunov: Counter-hit fishing. Insane oki. Slight grab emphasis (in Tekken lol) Complementary.
Virtua Fighter - Goh: Parries. Throws. Mixups. Complementary.
SF - Dan Hibiki: TAUNTS AND MANLINESS. SAIKYO-RYU IS NO NOVELTY ACT!
MK - Kenshi: Rushdown. Zoning. Complementary/Supplementary.
Dissidia - Emperor: Trap based. Turtle and punish. Novelty Act (he's bottom tier).

The reason for this is disparity between games is twofold. To start, I only play Soul Calibur competitively, at a high level. Therefore, I don't find a need to play high tier characters, or characters that supplement or compliment my playstyle, or whatever - I just pick who I want, stick with 'em, and start playing, even if I only picked them because she's a hot, sassy, dominatrix, or he's a psychic ninja. "But Heaton," I hear IdleMind already saying, "character loyalty is fucking idiotic and you won't be able to compete competitively like that at all!" And while he is correct with that statement, it has no moment for what I'm trying to accomplish.

To elaborate: I once heard from a certain E. Honda player that, when starting a new game, you should "play who you want to play, and make them work" (paraphrasing). Though this was said about MVC3, a very non-standard fighting game where character selection does not work as it would normally, the statement still applies for starting any new game. My reasoning behind this is that it makes the game easier to learn when you like your character - you enjoy seeing that character doing cool shit, and therefore you enjoy winning with him, therefore you want to learn how to kick ass with him. Sure, it's a very "casual" or "scrubby" reason, but this is applying only to the early stages of learning the game, not going to tournaments with intentions of bodying everyone.

If it makes me stick with the game and learn to play it well, or at a deep level, then it's fine by me, regardless of if it's because he's a deep character, or because he's just really cool looking - how much you enjoy the character matters for those early stages. Besides, if they end up being bottom tier, and I end up really enjoying the game, I won't have a (personal or ability-oriented) problem going to a higher-tier character anyway.

Laconically: Pick who you like. The rest shall come with time and practice.

As i only use customs in Soulcalibur, aesthetics rarely come into it...
IIRC, i decided i was going to main Amy and Talim as i used Raph and Talim in SC3, however i was TERRIBLE at SC back then.

My Amy wasnt doing the job... i couldnt figure her out for a long time... my Talim wasnt much better, but was my most used character for a while...
I couldnt figure anyone out really, until i watched ~Gameplay Video 5~ from the xbox marketplace... while these combos were technically useless, it taught me which attacks combo for almost every character.
Through practicing these combos and attempting to land them in matches, a quickly learned almost every character. Oddly, the only ones i did not learn were those who only demostrated wall-based combos in that video. I continued practicing and learnt more and more and more about almost everybody, and in the end i ended up with Amy, Talim and Taki as mains.

So, other fighting games.

MvC3: Ammy|X-23|Haggar (X-23 being my best... Ammy for counter and fullscreen hyper, ease of use... Haggar for assist, good x-factor should the worst happen, ease of use, ranged/aerial grabs)
SSFIV: El Fuerte
SSBM: Marth / Bowser
SSBB: Peach / Jigglypuff / Wolf
DOA4: Ryu / Leon
DOA3: Christie
UMvC3: errrr... Ammy i think... X-23 definately... Strider? maybe? Haggar still? i dunno :/ D-Deadpool? ummm... ... ... ... ...yeah... its not going so well... im just not used to the new guys yet...

i play a mix of the very fastest and the very slowest generally... i dunno why really, thats just what comes out... some people say i am great at rushdown strategies... to me... im just... fighting?

anyway, SCV, im determined to learn Viola... her attacks look amazing! ...possibly ZWEI, as i think hell be off-putting to a lot of people, but he looks like he has so many tricks up his slee-well he has got sleeves-but...
and definitely Natsu... ... ...mind games... and teleporting and stuff... should be fun.
and still, its customs all the way... My old Lizardman character is planned to take Viola's stand, and depending on wether Zasalamel returns, a character that features in many of my RPG playthroughs will be ZWEI. and i dont have to listen to Natsu's shitty voice, because my old Taki character will be returning.

"Dude, you're good with Maxi. You should stick to using him." - My friend Kaleb. April 2003 SC1

...I still main Maxi.

SCV, I plan to extend my character knowledge and stop being a stubborn one trick man.

I have been maining Mitsurugi since Soul Edge. We are one. I will play him until forever.

While Mitsu is kind of an exception to this, I always tend to be drawn to characters who are ridiculous/loud/obnoxious/show-boaty, or just weird.

Other Examples: Bang Shishigami, Dong (Garou), Captain Commando, Captain Falcon, Faust (GGXX),

I love Dampierre's character design, but his playstyle in BD just didn't work for me at all.

I like Ninjas. And fast characters. Preferably with 2 weapons.
The style also matters to me.
That's why i picked Taki in SE and the SCs. Her cancels back then, stances and special movements appealed to me too.
I want to interrupt, punish and mind game with stances and cancels and whatnot.
If i'm made for that i don't know.
I'll try out Natsu (omg have you seen her WS AAA cancel?) and hope she does more damage than Taki.
But if Natsu's too low tier, i'll just pick the character with the most appliable, damaging and demoralizing juggle combos.

I have changed mains every SC game (except SC1->2 unless you count sig into nighty) because I want to keep things fresh. While playing away from my strengths hasn't done wonders for my tournament results, I enjoy the challenge of relearning a game from a new perspective. To try and keep it interesting and get some wins under my belt I decided to not marry myself to a main early on this game.

I decided to start with Patroklos because his game looks so straightforward. He can hit you hard on punish, he can frame trap into fat CH combos and his whiff/block punish game looks solid. That allows me to use a safe spacing game that revolves around punishment, as well as have a viable rushdown plan where disrespecting my frame traps will be a painful experience. All on top of an easy learning curve.

Personally I prefer a more sustainable offense so I plan to use Zwei later on in the game's progression. He looks like he will have a tough learning curve because applying his charge moves and turning them into combos/unblockables looks to have strict timing. That being said he looks like he lets you get creative and will give you a lot of freedom in pressing offense if you approach it properly.

Alternatively I may be wrong about Zwei's offensive capabilities and end up wanting to play someone else in a month or 2. I would hate to put all my early time into the game in a character that I'm gonna want to drop soon that isn't going to get me wins.

SC1- Yoshi-I was very young at the time and loved his overall "feel". He was a tricky player and that's all I did while playing against others.

SC2- Talim- She was extremely fast and easy to adapt to. I didn't care that she was a close ranged character. Her damage output was a little over the top, it was ok with me! I also had a little kid crush on her...

Yoshi- Same as SC1. His style just never seemed boring to me. i knew i could use tons of mix-ups and keep opponents on their toes.

Nightmare- I was becoming interested in him, didn't use him as much as Y & T.

SC3- I started to pickup Nightmare even more, but stuck to Talim and Yoshi.

Talim- Her moveset definitely changed for the better and worse. Her damage was decreased, but some of her new moves made up for it.

Yoshi- Not much of a revamp for him in 3, I was still satisfied with his moveset.

SC4- Talim- Her damage was decreased even more, and some of her wind charmer moves changed. I do favor the her WC (While Crouching, not Wind Charmer) 6BB K is better in 4 than 3, but I like her SC3 version a lot more.

Yoshi- He's classic.

Nightmare- I started using him, but I don't think his style fits me right.

S-M- She's too slow, but fun too me.

i main nm cuz my bro mains siggy and i like evil charecters and cuz my bro thinks nm used to be weak and slow now he has little chance to get a hit in

My main characters so far have been:

Soul calibur: Talim, Tira, Lynette, Sophie

Dead or Alive: Hitomi, Leifang, Kokoro

Virtua Fighter : Aoi

Tekken: Lili, Xiaoyu, Alissa

As you can see, I normally play female characters, Although, I did use Elliot in DoA 4 but not often enough to say I mained him. I just appreciated his not-so-buff design.

in SC5: I plan to start with these characters so far*:

Tira, Pyrrha, Viola, MAYBE Xiba, and Leixia

*just on the characters announced so far, subject to change as characters are revealed.

Well I tend to pick up characters depending on their appearance but I only stick to them if I feel comfortable while using them; well if their style/moveset suits me and helps me act better in a match...

Well I started from SC2 and my main (most of my SC2 period) was Cassandra, whose moveset like her personality was cool and of course because she was Greek. I used others too, like Talim and Xianghua but never really liked Sophitia, at least that time (Strange huh? However I use her a bit in 4) Well, I finally got over my fear of Nightmare and started playing him. Superb weapon - magnificent moves/style.

In 3 I found out he was Siegfried and was so happy that this ^^good looking^^ knight took back his moves. As you can imagine I still use him as my main from back then, however I've changed my secondaries a lot...

So I use Siegfried not only because he looks good but he has a good variety of moves and stances and I feel really free to do anything in a match. Well he has his drawbacks but I still use him :P And I think I'll always use him seriously as long as he still holds this huge sword and kicks ass the way he does now.

And of course I really want to participate in many tournaments and use him. I know I'll have my ass beaten thousands of times but I'll have the chance to gain experience and make my strategies better... I know you may think "Yeah say anything you want, all I see is that you're doing absolutely nothing about it and never participated in a tournament... blah blah" but this is one of my goals and even if I'm scared to meet new people or people from the Internet, I'd do this. That means that if I had the time and the money I'd be at NEC now (with some friends too XD).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I take the character's personality into consideration as well. And yes, Siegfried has a strong one. What I like about Siegfried's personality is that he never gave up, even if he had to face someone much stronger than him. He'd deal with his mistakes and correct them no matter what. He'd even have an iron will that would help him regain his freedom.
If only more people were like that in real life.... (not escaping and facing Nightmare lol, but facing and correcting their own problems, mistakes, etc...)
That is what I want to do as well; never give up.
And I admit that, what I didn't like about Sieg was the fact that he got too "emo" in 4...

I just love mind games... Siegfried is the real deal in SC since times of Dreamcast... I find very pleasant to play with violent characters... yes, Siegf's 66B is the right move for people like me... I like characters that have easy moves but hard setups... that's why I pick Duddley in SF3S... I try a lot of characters in each game but I always choose features like Manliness and Heroic behavior, and more than that Honor in matches(But the merciful version of Siegfried in SC3/4 was too much)...

As I said before I didn't chose Siegfried; Siegfried chose me; this character really attract me with a supernatural force and I don't think I can't get right of his power on me... even after get boring with SC4 I just keep playing to use my favorite character in my favorite fighting game.

PD: more Manly+moreViolent+the old Big Badass Sword is back= SCV will be a very fun game to play.

Live streams

3 Viewers
SeichoTV
SeichoTV
Ranked battles before we hop on COD! C: Come vibe friends :3 ☯ | Love Questions and Anime! Ask up c: | Backseating okay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back