Hate Speech: On the Subject of Change

Fact: Namco isn't afraid to perform radical surgery on Soul Calibur's core mechanics from one iteration of the game to the next.

This is perhaps most evident with additions like SC4's implementation of the soul gauge, but it's equally present in the ongoing metamorphosis of the guard impact system, the overall speed of the games, and the considerable retooling of characters such as Nightmare, Ivy, and Talim.

Even the bewilderingly venerated SC2 was a jarring departure from its predecessor; the "streamlined" guard impacts, guard break changes, and the addition of larger stages--not to mention walls--certainly demanded a period of acclimation.

Some people insist that change and growth are natural, even positive phenomena, but don't be fooled: change is the single worst thing in the world, ever.

Think about it. One minute sitting in your darkened basement decked out in a velour tracksuit, rocking back and forth with your knees hugged tightly to your chest while watching low-quality VHS tapes of Ronald Reagan's greatest speeches and worrying over the metaphysical certainty of a Soviet invasion is the model of sensible patriotism. Then a little time passes, change rears its ugly head, and all of a sudden people call me strange for all that. I mean you. Hypothetically.

3WZnl.png
Exhibit A: Ice Cube

As I already mentioned, the perils of change apply just as much to our beloved games as to Cold War politics, and given Namco's track record I think we need to brace ourselves. In fact, Daishi already fired the opening volley on his Twitter feed when he announced a characteristically extreme retooling of several cherished mechanics. Frankly, I recommend panic and despair. If you absolutely insist upon being reasonable human beings, however. . .

The Serenity Prayer

The amount of influence we can exert over the system changes in SC5 is minor, but it does exist. We have far more control, however, over our reactions to changes as they are proposed.
What this means in practical terms is choosing optimism or pessimism, strategy or chaos, and while the former remains generally an open question, choosing strategy is ironclad policy here at Hate Speech. When confronted with proposed system changes or new mechanics, we obviously begin evaluating them in relation to what we already know, prompting four major questions:

Is this familiar?

We're all used to things operating in a particular way, and departures can be unsettling. The mere shock of the new can be enough to prompt a visceral negative reaction, which is why this is a piss-poor metric for evaluating anything.

Is this good?

Pretend for a moment, if necessary, that you're coming to competitive Soul Calibur for the first time. Without the bias and baggage of what you already know, examine the mechanic on its own merits and decide whether it contributes to a richer gameplay experience.

Is this better than what it's replacing?

Now we compare. Does the new mechanic objectively make the game more interesting than the old one?

How might this affect me?

Will play to your strengths? Will it necessitate the development of different habits or skills?

By way of example, let's take the new GI (4A+B+K, repels all attacks, costs meter). Is it familiar? Vaguely, at best. Is it good? Well, a GI mechanic adds depth to the fighting experience, so let's call that a yes. Is it better than what it's replacing? This is the tricky part. While the input is simplified, it costs meter, meaning it becomes part of a much larger meter management metagame that we only partially understand. Being able to bait an opponent into wasting meter on a whiffed GI--a likely scenario, given the simplified command will make people more inclined to attempt them--might be incredibly strong. Poorly implemented, however, this mechanic is a large step back. How will it affect me? Personally, I'll have to spend time unlearning some muscle memory and also experimenting with ways I can really turn this thing to my advantage. This will require thought.

NXVO0.png
I know, it hurts.

When thinking your way through these changes it's important to retain an aggressive mindset. Be aggressively inquisitive, aggressively critical, and above all aggressively confident. Be like Mick, another renowned player. The man has an almost pugilistic faith in himself. When some of the earliest SC5 videos were released, he shared some of his thoughts on Pyrrha, which can essentially be boiled down to, "she might be a real problem for people." What's important here is that he saw a potentially strong character and immediately imagined himself using her to crush some skulls, not the other way around.

This sort of strategic thinking will ultimately pay dividends when the game is released; you should already have in mind several lines of experimentation to pursue. Just as importantly, well-reasoned discussion strikes me as having a far greater chance of actually influencing Namco. A compelling case for why mechanic X is superior to its replacement might actually sway somebody.

7lHtX.jpg
Or we could keep doing this.

Homework:

Let's break this thing down. Given what we've been told (and seen) about SC5, pretend you have the game in your hands and have developed a reasonable mastery of these new mechanics. Rather than focusing on how they screw this or that character/playstyle, let's make a list of how these things might be used to the advantage of an intelligent player. How do they make you stronger? Alternatively, what's a change being discussed that is clearly inferior to the mechanic it's replacing? You call it.

"change is the single worst thing in the world, ever." I will pretend this is sarcasm ?!

From what I know I am OK with everything, Except the New countering; if it is true that countering is now Fwrd/Bak + ABK ,Instead of "Block" than that is the main problem I have.

The thing is I have My;
R2 = A+B
L2 = B+K
R1 = B+g
L1 = A+k

I feel I need these combos to preform well in SC as they are the major Combos used. So I don't know how and where to place ABK and for me It is more comfeterable to a have it set up as one of the triggers, i just Dont know what to say about this new use of ABK (usually its just used in special VS which I don't play), for me its a slight issue (i know I can just press it, But again its a comfort thing)

But when it comes to the countering its more than a comfort thing, it is; I believe more initiative to use Block for counters! So I hope they don't change it!

"change is the single worst thing in the world, ever." I will pretend this is sarcasm ?!

Yes Virginia, there is sarcasm in this post. Then again that answer is ambiguous. So I shall simply say: yes.

When some of the earliest SC5 videos were released, he shared some of his thoughts on Pyrrha, which can essentially be boiled down to, "she might be a real problem for people." What's important here is that he saw a potentially strong character and immediately imagined himself using her to crush some skulls, not the other way around.
Thought this was a great paragraph from a pretty good post. But then again, I've been urging people not to run for the lifeboats before the ship has even left dock and to wait to judge the game on it's own merits. So you're preaching to the choir in my case. And any other euphemisms that may be pertinent.

Though I have two questions Brian. It sounds like GI is now three buttons instead of one... how is that simpler? Especially for pad players? And also, who is this "we" at the department of hates?

Though I have two questions Brian. It sounds like GI is now three buttons instead of one... how is that simpler? Especially for pad players? And also, who is this "we" at the department of hates?

Here's my rationale behind calling it simpler:
SC4 GI system is 6G for highs and mids, 3G for mids and lows, or 4G and 1G, respectively, for parrying the same attacks. That's four separate inputs leading to two separate results (repel state or grounded) when successfully performed. In contrast, 4A+B+K is a universal input which presumably leads to a universal end-state, so mechanically it's simpler. As for the A+B+K part, well, I suppose that's why they let us bind buttons. It will definitely pose potential challenges for people who have played with a certain setup on their pad for years and years...

As for "we," I thought it was obvious. I speak for both myself and for Louis XIV, The Sun King of France.

Christ almighty...To be honest, the whole guage thing came straight out of the universe of Mortal Kombat...and, to be straight, that's ridiculous. I don't play Soul Calibur to play Mortal Kombat... I play Soul Calibur to play Soul Calibur. What's so hard to understand about that?

I mean, I guess having the Critical finish in SC4 was a step in that direction too, but that was to kill people that turtle excessively, and for all intents and purposes, it worked for people that were able to use it. Able, however, is the operative word here, and there isn't a scrub out there that can use the CF properly. With this new CE, they're making a stab in the right direction, but at the same time, they're detracting in other areas. For example, Hilde's charge mechanics...first of all, those alone make the learning experience with her look like a stone fortress, and is a massive entry barrier for any player to overcome. On top of that, Zwei and Viola will now use a similar mechanic, which I guess is good for Hilde players, but kind of sucks for the classic SC players, who aren't at all used to the new mechanic, and after four/five years of playing. Keep in mind that these are the same people avidly wishing for things to return from the murky depths of change (like myself, especially in regards to Nightmare, but enough on that), and some stuff has so far, like moves returning to Astaroth, Voldo, Mitsurugi, from previous titles.

And the GI mechanics...just...ugh. Change does hurt.
So, you're telling me that GI is basically just G on an i frame, and that the new "improved" version is basically Jin Kazama's/Yoshimitsu's block all move? Well, at least it won't be singular to Yoshimitsu now, who, trust me, can abuse it terribly. On the downside, it cuts into your gauge (Star Wars guests/Mortal Kombat). So, it can be used for a large offensive or defensive advantage. Okay, I can kinda see where this is going.

But my main point is, SC is starting to look too much like Mortal Kombat. In spite of the loss of CF and the return of old favorite moves, the game's CE is basically an X-ray attack, except Soul Calibur style, meaning that some character's CE's will suck while others are overpowered. And that's just looking at the ones that have been released, especially keeping in mind that some are grabs and some are not, and some maye even be applicable in larger combos to do massive damage on walls and tech. That said, a grabbing CE may actually be the butt end.

So, recap. Let's do a little math here...
In SC5, we have easy CE/BE, easy A+B+K, and a (probably) semi-easy G.
In SC4 we have difficult CF, Yoshimitsu, and a semi-difficult G6.
Hmm...that leaves SC5 at 3 points of improvement over SC4. Doesn't sound about right...how about this:

Viola and Zwei are just like Hilde, with a massive entry wall and a potential to be just as rigged in the hands of a good player.
As long as Pyrrha lives, Sophie does.
And faster-paced gaming means less reaction time to all of her lag-lows.
Not to mention Astaroth's 1AA no longer needing to be charged, so the same thing applies.
And then the fact that Asta is now cybernetic...and only 24 years old.

Yeah, that's more like it.

However, on a more optimistic subject, CE's differing from char to char raises an interesting question...will the lower tiered char's be able to use them better than the upper tiered ones? Like, for example, Ivy and Astaroth's CE's seem to be just straight up grabs, unless Asta's spinspinspinspinspin can somehow ring out/combo. Could it potentially be a downgrade from a move that can simply slip into a combo? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

And as a personal plea....pleaseoplease bring back Nightmare's 22_88 AAB_B6 and his variant options of AAB, that would be much appreciated.

Peace.
Or war, take your pick.

Thanks for writing this up. I love your attitude and style of writing (and logical approach to everything).

Look at the major changes from Ultimate MK3 to MK9: closely related and required a bit of thinking to get around muscle memory. It took a bit effort to relearn, but after a while it felt natural again.

PS you get major points for the Ice Cube comparison.

Here's my rationale behind calling it simpler:
SC4 GI system is 6G for highs and mids, 3G for mids and lows, or 4G and 1G, respectively, for parrying the same attacks. That's four separate inputs leading to two separate results (repel state or grounded) when successfully performed. In contrast, 4A+B+K is a universal input which presumably leads to a universal end-state, so mechanically it's simpler.
Ah well, that makes sense.

As for "we," I thought it was obvious. I speak for both myself and for Louis XIV, The Sun King of France.
Naturally. My favorite Sun King as a matter of fact. Take that, Montezuma. But seriously, nice choice. I was once asked to write an essay saying something nice about another country. I went with "Hey France, I like your sun king. You also have some pretty girls and some sweet electronic music." That was it. In it's entirety.

Another solid piece, Hates.

Personally, I don't mind the changes to GI all that much. I would prefer if there were at least two commands a la SC2, but that's only because I like to have more options. What I am a little wary of is the possibility that the risk/reward might be good enough to encourage attempting it at seemingly random times, similar to FADC dragon punches in SF4. This could, ostensibly, lead to a lot of monotonous baiting and punishing.

Note that I regard this as a fairly minor potential flaw.

The more I think about GI costing meter the more I like it. It adds strategic depth to the game and how you choose your options. There are for example going to be people who are going to always spend down and get max damage with EX attacks and critical edge. Now if there is no defensive use for your meter (like GI) there would also be no way to punish someone for not having meter.

The most immediate thing that comes to mind strategicaly is a simple question. How many ways I can kill someone for not having meter?

GI their attack and knock them out of the ring with an attack they would have to reGI.

GI their attack and kill them outright on damage (possibly a combo into a mixup to try and kill them)

Exploit moves that they would choose to deal with using meter. The most obvious application would be if someone needed meter to punish an otherwise strong attack.

Other strong attacks are slow and telegraphed but have advantage on block... Many players choose to GI these attacks on reaction instead of dealing with block advantage (IE Asta 4:(B):.)

It also makes you reconsider when to GI in general. Lets say you have a single GI of meter and you are in bad ring position. If someone GI's an attack and goes for a ring out you are forced to reGI or die. Now upon landing this reGI consider your options. If you attack immediately and the opponent guesses that attack you die because you don't have the meter to GI back. How would that impact your decision making?

I don't play Soul Calibur to play Mortal Kombat... I play Soul Calibur to play Soul Calibur. What's so hard to understand about that
thank you thats what im talking about

i understand his concern, on the basis of what is soul calibur, its a Fighting game derived for the in depth strategic fight experience.

but then when the question of what is street fighter, we would say a rapid paced, reaction happy button smasher.

Both games are great in there own right.

The creator of Soul Calibur said it himself, he stole the CE/BE system straight out of Street Fighter 4.

Now we see a somewhat metamorphosis , of which, soul calibur 5 is en route to be an inheritor of the Street Fighter Franchise.

Which of course was done on purpose in order to draw a larger audience to the game, which i can respect that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SC5 integrates a brand new GI system. now instead of individual variations of GI to counter certain attacks, its just one that counters all attacks.

At First glance it sounds overpowerd, but since GI has been balanced by use of Meter its reasonable.

SC5 is now faster paced, intersting concept, as we without having test it ourselves can only assume what "Faster Paced".

The BE system is quite intersting, basically its exactly how EX attacks work in SF, just powered up versions of normal attacks.

the CE system is the Good ol special attack, every characters has there own special to deal out massive amounts of damage, ideal for major turn arounds.......

but how does this synthesis effect SC5 as a whole?

The "faster paced" will dramatically change the game. Faster attacks may lead to improved combo opportunities. reaction times will shorten, varying counter options. Fighting now becomes a game of chess, in which predicting the next move has become more important. with the new speeds solely relying on reaction time will not be enough.

The New BE system is perfect in my opinion, it introduces a whole new aspect into the game, just like EX attacks in SF and MK this new moves will increase combo opportunities. they will also add to the game experience by developing marvelous ways to comeback and creating a richer and more dynamic experience allowing players to force their own style into the game as they choose when they prefer to use the BE.

the CE and New GI system on the other hand i see are major flaws if not properly balance. The new input one impacts all sort of limits the strategicness (Not a word) of SC, rather then forcing the player to predict the position of the opponents next attack (H/M/L) to impact, it sort of holds their hand for them and just does it all for them. limiting the GI to use up Meter is pretty aggravating. individuals now don't have the opportunity to punish spammers properly. Back in SC4 if you spammed a move all day you would get Impacted all day, which was fair. now if someone spams you, you will be force to use up your meter, then you would have to take full spam and block and try you best to not get out framed. now instead of using prediction to solve spammers, its reduced to simple frame data... which character is faster? and how can i land a hit before the other person lands a hit? so now instead of attack and defend its attack and attack faster.

Because of the new CE system, turtle is now the best form of combat. before turtling was punished with CF, now turtlers are being rewarded with CE. essentially SC fights become a battle for the first to achieve a full bar of CE then unleash to win....fighting in SC will become less dynamic and more tuned to High Damage one hit Kill CE super combo.......

a simple summary of a SC5 fight will be like this, 2 players poke and defend each other, one player manages the full meter first, then using the standardize combo he found online , he performs an instant KO combo......

of course this is all my analysis of the new SC5 mechanics, i haven't played SC5 and i'm assuming i understood how the new mechanics are implemented. So don't take anything i said is 100% its only a hypothesis based on the current released information on SC5.

i See some excellent brand new features to SC5 that may lead to increased dynamic and fun too the game. as well though a possible chance to ruin the game for everybody and create lacking experience where style of play is removed and a universal concentration of a standardized strategy that everyone follows......

Live streams

1 Viewers
FrenchWitcher_
FrenchWitcher_
[FR/+18/NO-MIC] Je suis avec un pote donc on chill

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members