Here's what you'd be left with

Organous

[09] Warrior
Ok, Craftsmen, here's what's going to happen if you all get your way and your cries for bans are answered, also what happens when you extend their logic.

Banned characters
Yoda: He can't be thrown, most highs miss, lows can miss if he decides to attack at the same time, monstrous combos up-close with full force, costs money for some players to practice with/against, this isn't Star Wars
Algol: He shoots projectiles, teleports, has very safe moves, boss character
Vader: Costs money for some people, this isn't Star Wars.
Starkiller: Breaks out of grabs with force, this isn't Star Wars.
Hilde: Skilled players can ring out from practically any distance.
Kilik: I don't like Asura Dance.
Cassanda: Hitbox issues

These are just actual complaints I've heard causing some people to ask for bans. Let's extend that logic to see who else would have to be included, shall we?

Nightmare: Grim Roundhouse picks up from grounded and rings out, Grim Stride makes high horizontals whiff.
Lizardman: Crawling stance can't be grabbed except by crouch grabs.
Astaroth: Can grab from any position, breaks grabs while backturned.
Rock: Infinite grab combo, even though breakable.
Raphael: Teleports.
Cervantes: Teleports, shoots projectiles.
Yoshimitsu: Teleports, flies, heals, this isn't Tekken.
Setsuka: Just Impacts better.
Voldo: Blocks backturned, poses can only be crouch-grabbed, breaks grabs backturned, different attacks for females/males.
Taki: An unblockable attack can launch opponent so she can leap and RO.
Yun-Seoung: Crane stance completely negates vertical attacks.
Amy: Small hitbox.
Xianghua: Can attack while grounded.
Tira: 2 characters in one. Nobody else gets entirely separate movelists.
Ivy: She's got basically 3 weapons.

Wow, lots of reasons to ban things. If this ban logic (if it can be called that) is extended to that point, here's what we'll end up with.

Allowed characters
Maxi
Mitsurugi
Yun-seoung
Seoung Mi-Na
Sophitia
Siegfried
Talim
Zasalamel

Still kinda diverse, but we lose so much from the game. I say to all Craftsmen, that the calls for bans will never end. The more you get your way, the more someone else is going to gripe about other characters. When you start demanding that someone gets banned or patched, just think about the other side for a moment. Regardless of how much sense your arguments sound to you, think about what you would think of someone else who is completely convinced this other character is broken, while you've been (probably) able to answer it consistently. Just wanted to add a little perspective there.

I 'd also like to clarify in response to some of the posts made here. The primary thing that came to mind when I did this is against the "this breaks the rules" argument, though other arguments also come into play. When you decide someone breaks hypothetical rules that seem natural to you, but conflict with how the game actually plays, you get this...

EDIT: Added Ivy. Dunno why I forgot her.

No, I'm pretty sure I like this thread. If we ban eveyone but a select few then the game will be more balanced and the matches will look good to everyone.

I play 4 of those characters that are left so I'd be ok, lol

Oh but you haven't carried out the logic to the fullest. Those characters have reasons to be banned as well!

Banning everyone = Good times. It's Mathemagical proof.

QED

By the way, if you take a look, you'll notice there are serious POV concerns in the discussion of the Wikipedia article. It does seem obviously biased, to me.

On topic, I want to bring up that Street Fighter 2 had only 8 playable characters at first. I don't know where it's at now.

Excellent slippery slope argument to prey on fears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

I should say the same to you hypocrite.

Hilde, if not patched, will be the one character that will ruin the Soul Calibur community.

If she is allowed to stay while unpatched, she will be the death knell to competitive play. She engenders a negative gameplay experience, especially for the one playing against her but even so for those just watching. Who would want to play this game after seeing something that they and even tournament pros would consider "bullshit"?

With the power of YouTube, word about Hilde will spread fast and far, so that's why I made this topic. As a community we have to come together on a consensus to nip this in the bud, lest it become SCIV's Variable Cancel. Everything else about the game is fun.

Except Hilde.

Ban Hilde.

I understand why you have a wiki article on "slippery slope arguments" bookmarked - You seem fond of using them yourself.

edit:
Did someone just get served? I think they did... is it on? Oh shit... ITS ON!

I should say the same to you hypocrite.

I understand why you have a wiki article on "slippery slope arguments" - You seem fond of using them yourself.

I believe that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Map out the logic and point out how exactly that is a slippery slope.

At least this community is doing its part to keep people from wanting to participate in tourneys. Good job.

Sponge, I thought DINO said your sig would be changed simply because he didn't like it. What ever happened with the e-threat?

Actually, Tira should be banned, because you can actually buffer her attacks. She also has random stance changing prompted by acts of self harm.

I believe that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Map out the logic and point out how exactly that is a slippery slope.

k.

from your wiki link:

In the classical form, the arguer suggests that making a move in a particular direction starts something on a path down a "slippery slope". Having started down the metaphorical slope, it will continue to slide in the same direction (the arguer usually sees the direction as a negative direction, hence the "sliding downwards" metaphor).

The move in question is not banning Hilde.

sliding down the slope, she will ruin the game for people playing and watching. People will see Youtube videos of this, and decide not to play. Word will spread. She will be the death knell to competitive play.

Do I need to be clearer? Do YOU not understand what you are talking about?

No, but that doesn't matter to BH. His point of debate is simply calling others arguments invalid and leaving it at that.

At least this community is doing its part to keep people from wanting to participate in tourneys. Good job.

Sponge, I thought DINO said your sig would be changed simply because he didn't like it. What ever happened with the e-threat?

He realized that I am not scared of meaningless threats? I don't know, you will have to ask him for yourself. good luck with that, if he gives you an answer I would like to hear it.

Back