Hilde Combo discussion

If possible post a video up of the combo, there must be some kind of timing issue we haven't gotten then. If you can relaunch after 3b BE then it at least would be more worth it to do for other things.
I have also been able to get two reps the timing is rather difficult...Doing this reliably might be a challenge I'll try and post a video of it as soon as I'll be able to. I just figured more than one confirmation of this combo working will spark more hope in it.

EDIT: Some execution notes to help the relaunch timing for the C2B, it seems if you wait till the opponents body is around Hilde's head it makes pressing G into C2B a lot easier...though its something that is going require some serious practicing, unless you just have godlike execution that is lol. If you do it to early it will actually go into the normal animation of the BE 3B attack, too late and your C2B will just wiff all together :/

It's not biggie i get it now, I thought the AT had to connect on the 3b BE is all.

Ceirnian said:
oh i thought the 3b be combo was based on it throwing. nevermind, yeah screw that unless there is a way to get amazing damage from just 1 be.

From what I remember, the 3 B~BE C1B combo has ringed-out the opponent consistently when the C1B hits, essentially dealing amazing damage from just one BE. Finishing with C2B or C3B eliminates the possibility of a ring-out finisher.

Don't know if you guys have tried this one out yet but i just found out about a combo that can help a notch.

6 A, K, B, 3B~BE (what you do after the 3B~BE, is up to you)

Sometimes it would connect, sometimes it wouldn't. I think it depended on how close you were to your opponent. But i could connect it no mather how far i were.

EDIT: Looks like the only way to make this combo work is if you have your back against a wall.

Don't know if you guys have tried this one out yet but i just found out about a combo that can help a notch.

6 A, K, B, 3B~BE (what you do after the 3B~BE, is up to you)

Sometimes it would connect, sometimes it wouldn't. I think it depended on how close you were to your opponent. But i could connect it no mather how far i were.

EDIT: Looks like the only way to make this combo work is if you have your back against a wall.

Thanks for the combo; definitely interested in giving it a test.

I have also been able to get two reps the timing is rather difficult...Doing this reliably might be a challenge I'll try and post a video of it as soon as I'll be able to. I just figured more than one confirmation of this combo working will spark more hope in it.

EDIT: Some execution notes to help the relaunch timing for the C2 B, it seems if you wait till the opponents body is around Hilde's head it makes pressing G into C2 B a lot easier...though its something that is going require some serious practicing, unless you just have godlike execution that is lol. If you do it to early it will actually go into the normal animation of the BE 3B attack, too late and your C2 B will just wiff all together :/

Yes, I tried this out and have found it to be Hilde's most damaging combo at the moment: a maximum of 16 hits dealing ~140 damage (~70% of the opponent's life bar). I'll do my best to explain the combo, as well as add some of my own insight to your insight as to how it may whiff.

*Man, I WISH I had footage of this stuff to better explain this.*

22_88 B, [ C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G. ] x n (up to a maximum of 3 times), C2 B

or, in a different notation:​

22_88 B, C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G.C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G.C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G.C2 B

16 hits dealing ~140 damage. This is roughly 70% of the opponent's life bar. It's a juggle move with 5 opportunities to juggle the opponent. I'm not sure if the opponent can Air Control. If not, then this is a filthy combo; I've already felt very dirty for having done it repeatedly.

However, if your timing is off, then you may whiff the 3 B~BE juggle, or the C2 B juggle. This combo is very execution- and timing-dependent. Additionally, a number of things other than a whiff can mess up the juggle if your execution and timing are not spot-on. Hilde could land her:
  • (While Turning) B
  • (While Crouching While Turning) B
  • 3 B~Brave Edge grab (which can be followed up with a C1–3 B).
    Naturally, this is the preferred consequence if you mess up.
  • Of course, you can also land things like WC A_B; 8B; 5 A_B; 5K... (...), but not if you're intentionally trying to juggle the opponent.
  • And all of this can occur at any point in the juggle; there are many opportunities for error (5).
But if you have the general timing of the juggle down, then it should be reasonably easy (with quality practise) to land the juggle.

In addition, this combo is still very safe and damaging even if you didn't get out the full combo. Like I mentioned, if the 3 B~BE grabs, it can be followed up with C2 B. *It seems* that the Brave Edge will grab if you are slightly late with the timing: too early and you will whiff, and a bit later than that, then you will juggle the opponent. One juggle I managed to execute finished with a 3 B~BE grab, C2 B, dealing 10 hits for 104 damage.

And if you didn't manage to get the full 16 hits...:

7 Hits = ~72 Damage
9 Hits = ~107 Damage
10 Hits = ~111 Damage
11 Hits = ~123 Damage
12 Hits = ~117 Damage
14 Hits = ~127 Damage
15 Hits = ~135 Damage
16 Hits = ~140 Damage

Looking at the numbers, it seems like a Clean Hit or 2—or a foreign move—were involved in some of my observations, so this is a general damage guideline as this combo is fairly difficult for me to land consistently; I only got numbers short of 16 hits because I messed up, naturally.

This combo is easy to confirm into from a 22_88 B. Additionally, if the opponent can't Air Control out of it, then this combo is fucking scary. Namco might have to make this combo Air Controllable out of else there will be a[nother] cry for a Hilde ban. But I'm not too sure about that as I'm certain there are other characters who have as damaging combos. Though if they do, then it's probably not one as easy to confirm into as Hilde's.

Damn, man; I feel so fucking dirty.

=============================
How to Get the Meter for This Juggle
=============================

If we were to divide the Critical Gauge into 8 blocks/tiers, with 4 blocks representing one whole level, then this combo uses up 5 blocks—a bit more than a Critical Edge. To visualize, one Critical Edge uses one whole level (4 blocks on the gauge, or 50% [1/2] of the gauge's maximum capacity). One Brave Edge uses up half of a level (2 blocks on the gauge, or 25% [1/4] of the gauge's maximum capacity).

During testing, I was surprised how easy it was to get meter in this game.
Landing a 22_88 B, C2 B combo gives you one full block on the Critical Gauge; landing this combo twice will give give you enough meter for one Brave Edge. Combined with the fact that there are all sorts of combos that Hilde can do off of 22_88 B, this is a really practical way of building up your meter.

Since the 22_88 B, C2 B combo fills one block on the meter, you can be at 7 blocks when you start the combo, and by the time you do your first 3 B~BE, you will have a maxed-out Critical Gauge. Any subsequent C2 B juggle will fill roughly half a block on the Critical Gauge, which is pretty nice as it slows down the rate of Critical Gauge depletion.

If you started out with a maxed-out Critical Gauge, and you did the full combo, then in the end you end up just a block short of a Critical Edge (25% short), and your opponent ends up with ~30% life. Because 22_88 B, C2 B fills up one whole block, you can do that combo after the juggle, and your opponent's life will decrease by 81 and you get enough meter for a Critical Edge. Your opponent is essentially in the yellow health zone, or near it, now.

Now... I'm not sure if you can combo a Critical Edge after the 22_88 B, C2 B combo.

========================
Important Notes on the Juggle
========================
  • Tips from a Soul Calibur rookie. It's easy to confirm into from a 22_88 B. Man, that move is amazing so far. If I were to give one tip to players facing against Hilde, I would tell them to focus on avoiding that move. Conversely, all Hilde players should focus on landing that move.
  • 22_88 B, [ C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G. ] x n (up to a maximum of 3 times), C2 B

C2 B and 3 B~BE are the moves that do the juggling. You can only juggle the opponent for a maximum of 5 times. At first, I thought it was an infinite, but when I executed the 5th juggle (and therefore 15th and 16th hit), the C2 B stops launching the opponent over Hilde's head. They will just flip around in front of Hilde at approximately chest-level.
  • There is an even more damaging variation of this combo: using C1 B as a finisher.
    Yes, that's right. Right when you would finish off with a C2 B to get that 15th and 16th hit for ~140 damage, you can instead finish it with C1 B to get that 15th hit for ~145 damage. It *seems* to have ring-out potential, but I haven't tested this out as it was only due to poor execution a fluke that C1 B came out.
  • It's very execution- and timing-dependent, so it takes a lot of practise to get the hang of it, like Just Guards. So even if the opponent can Air Control out of this juggle, or this juggle ends up getting restricted/banned, I would still recommend all Hilde players be able to get this combo down consistently to boost their execution and timing skills. In Training Mode, Just Guards are easier to time and execute (thanks, DrakeAldan); however, this combo is actually easier to execute in an actual fight because it's not dependent on reacting to an attack on-the-fly like Just Guards are.

I only managed to do a 2nd juggle probably 1 out of 4 times. Let's not even talk about how often I managed to get 3+ juggles.
  • Additionally, you can start the combo off a C2 B, but not off a 3 B~BE, strangely enough. It seems that the timing gets more difficult if you start off with C2 B, or it could be that my execution and timing became ass after the prolonged practise, which is likely the case.

I'm not very familiar with the notation of SC, but i found a combo not listed here yet

C2 A, a+g BE , C2 B ,g, C3 A 76 Damage there should be some variants for the finisher, i got to test other combos too

:)

22_88 B, [ C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G. ] x n (up to a maximum of 3 times), C2 B

or, in a different notation:​

22_88 B, C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G.C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G.C2 B, G.3 B~BE, G.C2 B

Been trying this one for the last hour or so.. I couldn't get the 2nd C2B to connect, it was either c1b or or they landed then c2b hit.. I'll keep trying though :D

I'm not very familiar with the notation of SC, but i found a combo not listed here yet

C2 A, a+g BE , C2 B ,g, C3 A 76 Damage there should be some variants for the finisher, i got to test other combos too

:)

That is not a real combo. The throw can be broken and you do not get c2b after BE throw. It can be blocked

Ok I can do it quite often now... it seems that the 3B BE has to launch them quite high and then the c2b after totally has to pierce them... I can record it when I get time.. I only managed 2 loops then finished with back turned b from mashing

Ok I can do it quite often now... it seems that the g3 BE has to launch them quite high and then the c2b after totally has to pierce them... I can record it when I get time.. I only managed 2 loops then finished with back turned b from mashing

Yeah, that was the general timing I remember as well: 3 B~BE when the opponent is higher up, C2 B when the opponent is closer to the floor.

I want to add that since 22_88 B, C2 B adds one block on the Critical Gauge, once you notice you have a level 1 meter you can actually just start the juggle right away. This would make you have no meter left by the time you inflict 15/16 hits.

This also means you can combo a Critical Edge after 22_88 B if you have 3/4 of a level one meter.

I need help in this combo.

66b BE c2b g c3a

When do I press g? I can do it about 60-70% of the time and still I don't understand when to press and release it.

66b BE c2b g c3a

When do I press g? I can do it about 60-70% of the time and still I don't understand when to press and release it.
When the opponent is on the opposite side of you. You are using the Guard button to turn your character around. A quick, lazy press will do.

So if 22_88B is Hilde's go to move, what is the best strategy to condition and punish them for trying to avoid 22B?

66b BE c2b g c3a

I'm actually more comfortable holding down G then releasing it when required. It makes the stuff after easier to time (for me).

Those turn around combo work but release G and A/B simultaniously. That helps ALOT on the loops too.

Hilde is probably one tough character to master since most of her punishing moves requires you to press and hold down the A and B buttons. Given enough time with practice, you would find that holding down buttons is really easy. If you're a player that likes to mash buttons, I suggest that you learn another character. Hilde Doesn't like button mashers.

With that said, Let's begin. First thing you need to do is bind buttons on your controller or your arcade stick that you're able to press and hold down the A and B buttons with ease. Also, make sure that you are comfortable with this setting. (Mine's B = Traingle and A = R2)

Notations: (these are based from what i think the charge time is)
C1 = 1 sec hold down time
C2 = 2 secs hold down time
C3 = 3 secs hold down time
C4 = 15 secs hold down time (before it was 30 sec in SC4)

Next are Combos and moves that I've found quite effective in battle. I'll be explaining their uses and when to use them in actual combat. For now I've categorized them in the following : Natural Combos, Player Made Combos, Pressure Stopper, Wall Combos, Hilde's Ring Out, and Strategy.

Natural Combos: (Combos that are already built in with the character. Also damage are rough estimates only. Damage may increase or decrease depending on how the opponent is hit)

66B ~ 66k = 45-47 damage

C2(A) ~ 1k,k = 50-54 damage

A+B(counter and hold) ~ C2(B) ~ G ~ C3(A) = 80-83 damage

3bA+B+k ~ C1(B) = 80-86 damage

3bA+B+k ~ C2(B) = 80-86 damage

3bA+B+k ~ C3(B) = 80-86 damage

22B ~ 236236A+B+k = 111 - 115 damage

Player Made Combos ( Combos that aren't in the list. Made up combos by me that are usually a free hit if the opponent is not paying enough attention)

Please note that Combos here might get block by the opponent and you might get punished for not executing them properly.

3B,A ~ C1(B) = 62 damage (not safe use wisely)

3B,A ~ 2B+K = 46 damage(not safe use wisely)

3B,B ~ 1K,K = 51 damage

22,A,A ~ 2B+K = 57 damage (turns the opponent around when hit)

B+G ~ C1(B) = 90 damage

B+G ~ C2(B) = 84 damage (can go into other forms of combo)

4K,K ~ 66A+B = 44 damage(not safe use wisely) can be followed up with 1k,k

22B ~ 236236A+B+k ~ 2B+k = 129 - 136 damage

A+B(counter and hold) ~ C2(B) ~ G ~ C3(A) ~ 1B ~ 2B+K = 108 damage (if everything hits. Also somewhat not safe)

3A(hold) ~ C2(B) ~ G ~ C3(A) ~ 1B = 95 damage(this require precise timing.)

C2(B) ~ G ~ B+K ~ 2K = damage 57 (useful if you forgot to charge your A button)

A, A ~ 2A+B ~1B = 66 damage

11A ~ 1B = 42 damage

66,K ~ 6K = 46 damage

1K,K ~ 66,K = 41- 42 damage

A, A ~ B+K ~ 2B+k = 72 damage (if everything hits. somewhat safe)

6A+B ~ 44, B = 36 damage(nice for retreats)

6A+B ~ 4B = 48 damage (be mindful of your distance to your opponent before using this)

Pressure Stoppers

As a Hilde Player for SC5, you need to learn to distance yourself from your opponent as much as possible and maintaining your distance to your opponent is your key to a match victory. Hilde's safe zone is long range to mid range combat. In this zone, Hilde's long range to mid range attacks will flourish giving you the edge in a match. Obviously in Soul Caliber you don't have the luxury of always maintaining distance from your opponent. If your opponent goes in for close range combat, i suggest that you stop charging your A and B buttons. Why? cause holding down the A and B buttons limits the set of move that you can use and let alone makes your very vulnerable to grabs. Hilde still has some pretty decent moves without charge. I suggest use them when under pressure.

Here are some moves to gain distance:

2A ~ 44, B = 26 damage (probably my favorite move under pressure. stops most fast attacks and gives you distance)

2K ~ 44, B = 28 damage

2A ~ 4B = 38 damage

2K ~ 4B = 40 damage

B+k = 30 damage(B+K alone gives you distance when blocked)

Wall Combos

a+gA+B+K ~ A+G or B+G = 107 damage(can be followed up with 2K)

6K ~ 1K, K = 58 damage

6K ~ 236236A+B+k = 82 - 83 damage

C1(A) ~ C3(B) = 76 damage

C1(A) ~ A+G or B+G = 93 - 95 damage

C4(A) ~ A+G or B+G = 152 damage

C4(B) ~ 1K,K = 194 damage

Hilde's Ring Out

66,bA+B+k = damage 36 (guaranteed ring out if hit. opponent must be on the edge of the ring)

B+G = 50 damage

3A(hold) = 50 damage (if blocked C1(A) to punish opponent)

C3(A) = 50 damage

6K = 26 damage

Strategy

Back Stepping : back stepping is also as important as your side step or side dash. Why? makes you less vulnerable to your opponents attack. It also give you an advantage if their attacks don't land and you with the long range advantage can punish them severely. Just make sure you guard immediately when you back step to avoid unnecessary damage. Some players like to poke.

Charge!: Remember that you always have to keep holding down those two buttons. the only time that you're going to stop pressing down on those buttons is when you're under pressure or your opponent is in close range combat. Remember(limited set of moves and vulnerable to grabs)

Read them like a book: Enhance your game sense. does my opponent like to use low attacks? or does he like to use fast attacks? After this move, he usually does this and that. Should I wait more before attacking? does he like to grab? knowing what your opponents next move or his fighting style gives you an advantage.

Mixed up some moves: if your opponent knows how to guard against regular combos then trying making one of your own. this will surely surprise them.

Be aware of the critical edge bar: if you see your opponent's critical edge bar glowing red. I suggest that you take extra caution. we all know that critical edge is a match's tide turner. Be more on the defensive side.

Back