Hilde: Q&A/General Discussion Thread

If you're on PSN add me and we'll do some player matches and i'll show you where i'm coming from. Maybe you guys know a way of landing it consistently that i'm missing.
Don't get me wrong, it can be very hard to land sometimes. But if you successfully land it, you can actually juggle the opponent in the air with 3BE. It seems to be a risky combo though, I don't know if the opponent can actually air control out if it, but to the people I have done it to, they could not get out of the combo. (Though please note I only juggled once and never got to finish it.

I really do love Hilde's unblockables. Although hard to land, they really do pwn. The only problem is that against a good player, you are going to have to play a certain way.

C4A is much easier to land and can be much more useful than 4AB since people like to sidestep Hilde. It does great damage and you still have control over your lance, which most players tend to feel Hilde uses her lance more than her sword. If you sidestep an opponents vertical attack, you can land this move easily.

C4B seems to be much more difficult to land. People tend to sidestep this all the time and good players can see it coming if you do not use your lance much. I feel that you need to try and bait your opponent into thinking he has the advantage over you by going on the defensive and using your sword a lot. Using 4A enough will suffice sometimes.
The move I believe does the most damage out of any other unblockable in the game. Since it has a long range, my advice to people is that they have to try to make the opponent use a risky attack and completely miss you. Actually, I feel this attack is much more useful against the heavy hitters such as Astaroth and Nightmare. If they miss, they are wide open for a hit with one of these.

190 damage tech trap

2A+B also tech traps in the same situation.
both catch all directions

If they don't tech you use 44K for all but left roll. For left roll use 1B
This is a powerful oki situation

190 damage tech trap

2A+B also tech traps in the same situation.
both catch all directions

If they don't tech you use 44K for all but left roll. For left roll use 1B
This is a powerful oki situation
Holy shit dude, I dono why I never thought of this..... TY!

So theres nothing that can guarantee C4B besides a whiff? Or at least something that prevents sidestepping it?
I don't believe so. The best thing I can say is to try to make the enemy miss an attack from a distance and use C4B's range advantage to pwn.

Well there is two situations i can think of. 1. On get up opponent rolls back right away(so as soon as you knock them down release C3B). 2. On get up opponent just holds gaurd(ive actully been hit by this online by a random hilde, again as soon as you knock them down release C3B.)

Even as a punish i wouldnt use C3B, cause its just so slow. Ive tried to punish stuff with C3B and if your not fighting asteroth its really just not smart risk vs reward.

Zwei is the lowest of low tier him aeon and raph are garbage. You guys got gimmicked the fuck out.
Algol in the same tier as maxi?k
hilde is VERY GOOD imo
Thank you. And yea I did get fucked over choosing to learn Zwei. It's made me enjoy the game less always being at a disadvantage. Hilde's lows are great compared to Zwei's, learning her now

Hilde being low tier is just popular opinion and opinions are like assholes - Everyone has one and they're mostly full of crap.
But no, Hilde has every tool needed to win, She has usable lows, Knockdowns, tech traps, some okizeme (but not the best oki), high damage combos off of usable moves, excellent meter gain, one of the highest damage aGI combo's in the game, she has tech crouchers galore and 66A+B will make people scared to throw out certain lows (since it will beat out the mid option if there is one), her CE is the nastiest i16 punisher out there and her guard breakers are quite decent . She however lacks mix-ups and many of her good moves have abusable gaps in them.
No mixups is why she is not in the A-Tier.

Hilde being low tier is just popular opinion and opinions are like assholes - Everyone has one and they're mostly full of crap.
But no, Hilde has every tool needed to win, She has usable lows, Knockdowns, tech traps, some okizeme (but not the best oki), high damage combos off of usable moves, excellent meter gain, one of the highest damage aGI combo's in the game, she has tech crouchers galore and 66A+B will make people scared to throw out certain lows (since it will beat out the mid option if there is one), her CE is the nastiest i16 punisher out there and her guard breakers are quite decent . She however lacks mix-ups and many of her good moves have abusable gaps in them.
No mixups is why she is not in the A-Tier.
how does she have no mixups?

She however lacks mix-ups and many of her good moves have abusable gaps in them. No mixups is why she is not in the A-Tier.

This.

I was beginning to think she was unstoppable then i came across a French player a week or so back who JG'd the second hit on [A+B] and C3A. Once you take those moves out of her offense you start to see she can punish whiffs etc but she can't really lay on much pressure.

I've stopped using her as a result, well that plus I used her for a few years on SC4 so i got bored of her dumbed down SC5 revamp.

Onto Ezio for me for time being, I like pissing people off with his crossbow. :D Then maybe ZWEI. Anyone saying that ZWEI is low tier might want to speak with Hayate (French player). He's by no means near the top-tiers but anyone dismissing him clearly hasn't seen what he's capable of or have only encoutered scrubs using him.

Like the above posters said, she isn't that good a char because a lot of moves are easily punishable on guard ([A+B], c3A, cxB etc.). because of JG, and she has no real mix-up game.
One way to use her effectively is to NEVER use c3A. Go into training, and learning the timing difference between c2A and c3A. Whenever you have a c3A charged, drop the charge and recharge it back up to 2. It's pretty difficult to get the hang of, but in the end she'll become less punishable when you decide to release her A charge.
With [A+B], it's safe to say that this move has lost of usefulness. Everybody knows how to sidestep it and JG it now, so it's best that we take it out of our repertoire. It's better to bait and punish with something like 22_88B (great, great range), CE (amazing), or c2A (+follow up combos).

Hilde is the game's turtle, so like all turtle characters in fighting games, you have to learn to defend and punish. She lacks in the offensive department because her BE's are terrible, and her A+G BE into CE is highly telegraphed and easily breakable (when the enemy sees that you have 1.5 meter, they will just keep trying to break A).

To win with her at high level play you must do the following:
Learn to JG all big/telegraphed moves and punish them.
Bait your enemy into a whiff and punish them for doing so (with 22_88B or a charge).
Bait your enemy into a sidestep and punish them with charge A.
Ring out like an A-hole (mix it up between A+G BE and B+G).

Another really good thing to do as a Hilde player is to pick a good sub, somebody who plays completely offensively with heavy mix-ups. I use Tira as a sub, as Hilde has major problems fighting people like Natsu & Alpha.

I'll post more in a bit.

tl;dr - She is a turtle, so guard and punish. That's about all she can do. So if you aren't willing to spend time learning the in and outs of every character and their punish-ability, don't bother playing her. I'd honestly place her lower on a tier list.

I have a unique idea for a thread.

To all the Hilde players,

We know she isn't an OP or truly amazing character because she lacks mix-ups, good punishes (other than charges and CE), she is easy to JG, and doesn't have much of an offensive game.
Hilde is a defensive turtle character, and as of right now, we need to find a way to play her more effectively.
DO NOT TALK ABOUT TIERS HERE.

So for the thread, I'm thinking of a format like this:
Weakness/Strength -
How to overcome it/How to use it -
Other Info -

For example:
Weakness - Her c3A is extremely easy to JG on block because the second attack is automatic even when blocked.
How to overcome it - use c1A and c2A instead
Other - Learn the timings for cxA, so that when you have a c3A charged drop it and recharge til you have c2A again. She'll become safer to play by doing that.

Strength - She destroys side-steppers
How to use it - Keep a charge A on hand, so that when you have an enemy who likes to side step you can catch them every time until they learn not to side step. After you teach them, you can release charge B's on back-step on even a [A+B] on someone who steps in.

Discuss things like improving her mix-up game, her anti-side stepping game, etc. Whatever you think is necessary post it here, or ask questions and see if we can help you overcome one of her weaknesses or get better at using one of her strengths.

By doing this we can share ideas and all improve as a team of Hilde players.

Discuss.

Personally, I find C3A still very useful, especially on punish and etc. However, we need to find a way to balance her game with her sword and lance.

I think shes amazing and has no weakness... At least I havent found one...unless you count her garbage hitboxes

Someone should sticky a thread about C3B A. I'm sensing at least 3 more people will ask in the coming months.

This.

I was beginning to think she was unstoppable then i came across a French player a week or so back who JG'd the second hit on [A+B] and C3A. Once you take those moves out of her offense you start to see she can punish whiffs etc but she can't really lay on much pressure.

I've stopped using her as a result, well that plus I used her for a few years on SC4 so i got bored of her dumbed down SC5 revamp.

Onto Ezio for me for time being, I like pissing people off with his crossbow. :D Then maybe ZWEI. Anyone saying that ZWEI is low tier might want to speak with Hayate (French player). He's by no means near the top-tiers but anyone dismissing him clearly hasn't seen what he's capable of or have only encoutered scrubs using him.
This page has all the discouragement to use Hilde. I was under the impression that Hilde was good. I was about to learn her combos, guess I won't bother now. All I know is Zwei, who contrary to your beliefs, is definitely low tier. His own threads and users don't even support him. No mixups or lows, at least Hilde has lows.

I won't drop Zwei cus I already know him, but with you guys exposing Hilde idk who to learn now. I'm not interested in anyone else but Alpha Pat but I need a stick for him. I'm not gonna pick up a typical character like Natsu/Mitsu/Nightmare/Xiba/Cervantes just to play top tier like so many people do.

Back