How Can Soul Calibur Ensure Longevity?

Realistically the only people that tend to stick around is anyone who wants to remain competitive. Unfortunately i don't think game updates and mechanics can really change that as its up to the players own mindset whether they want to face the grind to become better. This plagues all fighting games though.
Adding to this people stick around when a game is good and has a lot of depth. It dosent matter how much support the developers give if the game sucks. And personaly i dont want a bad game to have longevity. I hate the mentality that you need to support a game even if it clearly sucks just so that the community can prosper. Id much rather people just let bad games die. Also constant balance changes is not a good thing at all. Fighting games are not like other competitive video games in that they need time to be figured out, for some it can take years for the really busted stuff to be discovered. Most of the fun of fighting games is people finding really broken stuff and then every one else trying to find how to beat that broken stuff within the game. I mean you can just look at the neather realms games to realize that patching a fighting game too frequently is a bad thing.

Tekken 7 post release support was just Tekken Bowling...Geese and now Noctis. I mean...thats 80 bucks and Tekken 7 is still...lacking. The competitive core is still longing for lots of things and the casuals they appealed to dont feel like the game has everything that it needs either. Thats not a great position to be in.

Soul Calibur I dont have any expectations for it either way. But I'm not going into this with the expectations of this being the best thing since Soul Calibur 2.

T7 is a huge mess. SC6 will be super awesome, and even in the worst case (let's dramatize) it can never reach T7, a game that not only felt Old AF when it came out on console, and ended be very disappointing that also has a very empty content/online.

Last edited:
An online adaptation of the arcade SC2's Conquest Mode, with actual players vs players instead of ghost player data, could be nice. With 3 or more factions to choose (arcade had 4 factions). With both single 1on1, & team battle of up to 8 players per team. With single rank tournament match, elimination tournament match, & round robin tournament match (where everyone gets to play vs everyone). The collective progress (by w/l ratio etc) of each faction determines who wins (the crown, or the lead, or whatever cool thing that presents the winnng faction) over certain time periods like how it was in MAG (Massive Action Game on PS3), or another original way that ensures & encourages constant competition. With maybe perhaps rewards or prizes of some kind.

Good character customization along with some extra weapons, new outfits, et cetera being available every six months at least would help. But as others have said longevity will come on its own if the game is made well. One thing that would be super helpful though is cross platform play. I don't know how hard that would be but to have every soul calibur player able to fight every other player instead of splitting the population would do wonders. If people didn't act like gigantic faggots when they lose, that would help too. :)

*A strong netcode for online play
* DLC costumes, stages, music, and characters every few months
* Deep Create A Soul
*Daily and/or weekly missions
*Extra weapons

That's all I got...for now.

Back