How do you learn a fighter's moves?

Yoshimitsu

[09] Warrior
Personally, I will write down a bunch of moves that look useful, and practice them against Edge Master CPU until I have them in my head. And I keep doing that until I know all of that character's moves.

So, how do you do it?

If you wanna work with an AI, you can just set an Edge Master CPU to the character you're using and then see what moves the AI does. That can help you get started. Also there will usually be a 'top-10 moves thread' in any given character's Soul Arena in this forum. Videos of matches help too.

take this character into practice and memorize all it's moves without facing the CPU, then fight a human player for 100 match with the character, after than start watching videos of this character and copy it, play another 100 match. there you go by then you would devoloped your own style after than it's up to you if you wanna go indepth with this character or just stop there.
basically you will need to do that with all of the characters for defensive purposes.

fighting CPU will literally make your style sucks cock on the street of bangkok for 2 dollars.

fighting CPU will literally make your style sucks cock on the street of bangkok for 2 dollars.

Nice analogy. But facing CPUs are good practice with a new character. Once you get the moves down, moving to online should be the next step.

Nice analogy. But facing CPUs are good practice with a new character. Once you get the moves down, moving to online should be the next step.

ok... O.o? i thought this was a serious thread O.O

Mess around with the move list in training for an hour or so, read the soul arena each character has, head back into training, then play vs. competent, thinking, adapting human players.

I develop my style of play from there.

On the contrary, it's an extremely poor thing to do.
Just practise your moves against an immobile dummy, and then go online.

If you practise against the CPU, you can't surprise it. Some moves are great against humans, but useless against the CPU because he knows what you're going to do, and the perfect counter.

You also can't really discover many strings in live practice.

Yeah, don't try to form any habits online, or at least don't think you can use the online habits you developed in an offline setting and be taken seriously. If you have to use an AI, just use it to see what kind of combos it does, not as a serious sparring partner. Learn what an AI does with a character in certain situations (what it does vs a stepping opponent, vs a grounded opponent, what it does to setup tech traps etc.) It should get you familiar with the character to the point where you can figure out what to do for yourself.

If you have to use online, try finding some respectable players from here to practice against. Learning how to fight Kilik/Cervantes/Mitsurugi spammers in a lag environment doesn't make you any better.

I think the question posed originally was "how to learn the move list?"

It's good to have a frame work to put things in, for example every character has neutral, 6, 3, 2, 1, 4, FC, WS, 9(in that order) inputs for A, B, and K. Generally speaking few of those have added strings and once you learn the first hit you can generally remember the rest quickly. The number of moves which are not of that variety tend also to be low so you can remember them as outliers.

8WR and Simultaneous Press moves are less systematic however. While you're assured a 66 and 44 and usually a 22_88 move for each of A B and K 33_99 11_77 are frequently eaten up and both simul. and the simul. 8WRs are entirely character specfic. As fun as Top Ten moves lists are I think bottom 10 lists might be a good idea too because it would help cut down on the number of moves someone beginning with a character would try to remember.

it says "how to learn a fighter's moveS" not how to memorize a fighter's move list. idk about you but learning means learning when to do the move and why and what moves i can follow up after it. memorizing is never a problem. also memorizing the movelist doesn't deserve a thread of it's own, it's the basic thing to do if you're taking SC seriously (which i guess you do if you're a member in an online community focused only on this game) if you can't memorize the moves on your own then this is not the place for you.

Practice by doing mirror matches with the CPU or with your friends OFFLINE, because online is hard with all the lag.

i don't see anything wrong with going against cpu after you have just checked out a char... its useful to slowly train yourself and apply moves to really simple, standard situations like poking, punishment, combos, spacing etc. whatever your character does. sure you can't play mind games with the comp but you're character is going to be so damn basic that you won't even be thinking about mind games anyway. i do think cpu is usless after this stage though.

i personally start by looking through the movelist just to familiarise myself with the char, then check out top 10 move lists and more importantly read why the moves are good. ill also have a quick look at some basic combos just to get me started. ill then move onto the cpu on a setting like hard (yes hard, not edge master) because i want to get down the absolute basics of the character. ill spend more time fine tuning, learning staple combos until im a little more comfortable with the char.

ill then move onto human opposition and try my shit out there... you'll most likely hit a load of walls and there will be many holes in your game but then this is where you go back and learn about the specific stuff you failed on. i'd check out some match vids at this point see how they are played and for fresh ideas then work that into my game.

once im comfortable with the staples, when im at a point where i do stuff without thinking ill start moving onto mind games, tech traps, wakes, cf game etc.... this is probs the point where your style starts getting devloped because you can think and react rather than stall and panic.

then you just slowly develop and learn as new stuff happens, maybe start looking at frame data, character specific strats etc.

i don't know if that fully answered your Q as i realised i was more talking about learning a character than 'moves'. i think the most important point is to learn why a move is good rather than just being told its good.

Well that's how I interpreted it conjunction with the post. Sure I could be wrong, but I'll take that risk if I think it could've helped.

i don't see anything wrong with going against cpu after you have just checked out a char...

Some moves that are good in reality can appear as complete trash when used against the NPC.

I remember having played Setsuka for several days, and THEN, for fun, I went against the NPC.
I stopped using some of my favourite moves for that occasion, because they didn't give the same results as when I fight humans.

If I had started by fighting the NPC before humans, I would have had gotten the wrong impression about some nice moves.

Anybody got any tips on Voldo? I'm new to using him, and he's my second favorite character so I want to get good with him.

I agree that the CPU is good for helping to learn and memorize a character's movelist, especially if you fight a mirror battle in practice - but only with the express understanding that it's only the very first step and is rudimentary at best for honing your actual fighting skills.

Back