How to Improve Your iPR - My Personal iPrep Technique

StrongbeardTG

[02] Apprentice
We all know how important iPR is for Raph when it comes to optimizing his play. The problem is that execution isn't necessarily easy for this nifty little technique. As an example, a big problem for many attempts at 6B iPR BK or WRBB iPR BK is that PR 6B will occur even if it appears like you released '6' before attempting BK. I think that this has to do with duration/frames 6 is held.

Now let me explain my technique which almost completely remedies this specific problem. You want to time a steady 46 transition approximately beginning when the previous move makes contact with the opponent (as 6B hits, 2nd hit of WR BB, 3rd hit of BB:B, etc.) My simple solution merely adds one additional input and that is after canceling 4 to 6 immediately slide or cancel to 8. Out of all the cardinal directions, 8 is the only that is not mapped to one of Raph's stances. This will not interfere whatsoever with your input of BK or BB:B but it will cancel the problem of the duration of 6 pressed during iPR registering as PR 6B. It effectively eliminates those unintentional moves.

Practice this straight for a good 20 min and you should start conditioning your fingers to this pattern. This has allowed me to iPR with far greater consistency. Remember, it's basically 468 and the 8 causes no disruption to your inputs but it DOES eliminate the game registering your PR BK as PR 6B. Give it a go and iPrep to glorious victory.

Also I might add that it is important to be patient and NOT buffer your inputs (e.g. entire BB:B46BB:B string should have precise timing don't mash the buttons) Time them steadily and press 4 once your see the appropriate move hitting the opponent and take it fom there (4 being the initial part of 468). You can hold the 8 part down and it will not disturb your combos.

Last edited:
Most Raph players are trained to hold their inputs in order transition to prep stances.
I find myself struggling to do light taps for commands

Still think its a bad idea to base gameplay on what looks like a glitch.
Just imho,
I learnt it but i won't use it until balance patch or until we'll have an official statement on it.

I'm also struggling to do a quick cancel of Gambit to Prep.
A shame because I like putting pressure on my opponent with it.

Most Raph players are trained to hold their inputs in order transition to prep stances.
I find myself struggling to do light taps for commands
You can hold the 8 part of 468 but cannot hold 6 of 46. 468 makes iPrep far more feasible for most Raph players.

Back