How to port Soul Calibur III: Arcade Edition to PS2

C.AntonioFalcon

[09] Warrior
"Soul Calibur III: Arcade Edition is a re-tuned, re-vamped, and, most importantly, fixed version of Soul Calibur III. Naturally, all glitches found in the console version have been fixed. In addition to that we've re-tuned the overall balance of many moves and re-vamped Amy, Hwang and Li Long as official characters. All three have been revised into more unique move sets and help to expand the already expansive Soul Calibur III line-up." WCMaxi (Namco Producer)

This improved edition was made to make up for the home version problems, it was unbalanced, rushed and had lots of bugs, according to many players.

You might have noticed that OOFMATIC had made this port before but the torrent is no longer available. Instead of making a torrent that, sooner or later, will stop working, I'll make a guide that will last forever.

Step 1: Getting the data

First, put in a folder all the files of your SC3 copy. You can notice there is a ROOT.OLK file in it, it's the file that contains the main game data, such as character models, movesets and game modes. And now get your hands on the AE files. Now that the game was added to the MAME list (though it doesn't work at all yet on it), it's very easy. Go to http://www.emuparadise.me and go to the MAME section. Look for Soul Calibur III and download the CHD file (not the other romset). It is the MAME format DVD image file, and you need to extract it. MAME includes an application called CHDMAN you have to use to do so. Open it with the command prompt typing this command:
chdman extractraw -o output.raw -i input.chd
You will get a .RAW file, but it's actually a .ISO image, so you have to rename its extension to .ISO .
Finally, extract ROOT.OLK or ROOT2.OLK using an ISO explorer (I used WinRAR). The two files are identical (you can notice that because they have the same size), so you can extract the one you want.

Step 2: Putting the data in the right place

Look this thread: http://8wayrun.com/threads/modding-soulcalibur-3.2908/
It has the following files attached: the OLK Explorer, needed to explore and swap data in the ROOT.OLK files, and two things from the AE, that is Inferno's model and the title screen, so you can download them from there or just get them from the AE ROOT.OLK file, I documented them. Use that thread to know where you should put the files, File7.olk is almost fully documented and File5.olk is partially on the first post, also later posts show where the weapon models are stored in File7.

CHARACTERS

The following list contains all what you need to know about File6.olk (the one with the character data in the AE). And remember to swap file 1 (included in the character data .olk file) too. If you don't do it, the characters' movesets won't work properly (and adding it makes the original movesets work badly).

Code:
File6.olk

1-4 Core gameplay files

3D MODELS - there are six costumes rather that the four (two for the extra characters)
found in the PS2 edition, and the new ones have just different colors.
There are two new .pkg files inside them, the latter one (File10.pkg) is the weapon model.
The 1P and the 2P weapons are included in the respective outfit files,
also the extra characters' 2P weapons and Inferno's weapon are new.
Finally, keep in mind that Amy's second costume is new to the AE,
it's not a variation with different colors of the first costume like the one on the original,
which is costume 3 here.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130821181623/http://fortunecross.com/soulcalibur3/index.html

9-14 Mitsurugi

15-20 Seong Mina

21-26 Taki

27-32 Maxi

33-38 Voldo

39-44 Sophitia

45-50 Siegfried

51-56 Rock

57-62 Hwang

63-68 Ivy

69-74 Kilik

75-80 Xianghua

81-86 Lizardman

87-92 Yoshimitsu

93-98 Nightmare

99-104 Astaroth

105 Inferno

111-116 Cervantes

117-122 Raphael

123-128 Talim

129-134 Cassandra

135-140 Yun Seong

141-146 Li Long

147-152 Setsuka

153-158 Tira

159-164 Zasalamel

165-170 Olcadan

171-174 Abyss (he has four costumes, not six, as he wasn't playable in the AE)

177 Night Terror

183-188 Amy

OLCADAN'S NEW WEAPONS

Olcadan gains the ability to use Hwang, Li Long and Amy's styles in the Arcade Edition.
Because of that, he gets three new weapons.

440 Hwang's Weapon: The Ancient

552 Li Long's Weapon: The Ancient

608 Amy's Weapon: The Ancient

Unfortunately, Olcadan can only use these fighting styles in the PS2 version if regular characters are replaced with them.

ANIMATIONS

609 Mitsurugi Moveset
610 Mitsurugi Exhibition

611 Seong Mina Moveset
612 Seong Mina Exhibition

613 Taki Moveset
614 Taki Exhibition

615 Maxi Moveset
616 Maxi Exhibition

617 Voldo Moveset
618 Voldo Exhibition

619 Sophitia Moveset
620 Sophitia Exhibition

621 Siegfried Moveset
622 Siegfried Exhibition

623 Rock Moveset
624 Rock Exhibition

625 Hwang Moveset

626 Ivy Moveset
627 Ivy Exhibition

628 Kilik Moveset
629 Kilik Exhibition

630 Xianghua Moveset
631 Xianghua Exhibition

632 Lizardman Moveset
633 Lizardman Exhibition

634 Yoshimitsu Moveset
635 Yoshimitsu Exhibition

636 Nightmare Moveset
637 Nightmare Exhibition

638 Astaroth Moveset
639 Astaroth Exhibition

640 Inferno Moveset (identical to Cervantes, but without the shooting gun moves, as Soul Edge doesn't have
a gun. It also retains SC2 Inferno's special move, UP then B+K, and has a different taunt.)

642 Cervantes Moveset
643 Cervantes Exhibition

644 Raphael Moveset
645 Raphael Exhibition

646 Talim Moveset
647 Talim Exhibition

648 Cassandra Moveset
649 Cassandra Exhibition

650 Yun Seong Moveset
651 Yun Seong Exhibition

652 Li Long Moveset

653 Setsuka Moveset
654 Setsuka Exhibition

655 Tira Moveset
656 Tira Exhibition

657 Zasalamel Moveset
658 Zasalamel Exhibition

659 Olcadan Moveset
660 Olcadan Exhibition

661 Abyss Moveset

662 Night Terror Moveset

663 Amy Moveset
The exhibitions weren't changed, so you don't need to put them in.
Be careful though, if Ivy and Yoshimitsu happen to load up, the game will freeze, unless you're using an emulator; however, the graphics will be glitched at the first fight of any mode even with it, as there will be a "TLB Miss" error. It has to do with the additional space allocation process the OLK Explorer does when putting the new movesets in: they don't seem to like allocations at all.

STAGES

The stages are in File5.olk in both versions. There are three new stages to the AE. One is the Lakeside Coliseum with no cage and at daytime, which is File165.pkg, another one is a differently colored Kunpaetku Shrine Ruin (called Palgaea Shrine - Ruins), it's File191.pkg, and finally a playable version of the Lost Cathedral that originally appeared only in some ending movies (like this:
), that is File332.pkg. If you want to replace the old Lakeside Coliseum with no cage with the new one, put it on File158.pkg, Kunpaetku Shrine Ruin is File171.pkg and the new Lost Cathedral could replace "Lost Cathedral - Ruins" on File313.pkg and suit it pretty well. About the old stages, the order in which they're stored is the same as the PS2 version, and some of them have new graphical effects here and there, if you wanna check them out. The file sizes will also help you. The ones for the ending movies on the PS2 version were also kept, and they were playable in Practice mode, which means they're not glitchy anymore. They're down on the list, not followed by any low sized files, unlike the regular stages.
Also, if you wanna find the new title screen on your own, it's File779.pkg. You may find strange that it's stored in the file that contains the stages, but...

OTHERS

In File3.olk, there is some interesting stuff. First, there are the new lifebars, which are in File6.pkg (thanks dee4doa for finding them) and however don't exactly look as they should on PS2; File47.unk is a new image for the ADX logo; and finally File38.pkg contains some data for the AE character selection screen, but doesn't work well on PS2.

Step 3: Building the new ISO file

To build an ISO file, the first program you have to use is the CD/DVD-ROM Generator (see attached file). Click "Create new project" and then "DVD-ROM Master disc". Drag and drop the files to put in the new ISO file. Click "Volume". In the "Disc name" area, type in "SCxS-53312" (x must be replaced with P if you have the japanese version PS2 disc, with U if you have the american version or E if you have the european version). In the "Producer Name" area, type in PLAYSTATION. In "License area", choose the region of your PS2 disc. Click "File" then "Export .iml file". Close without saving.

Now use Apache3 (see attached file). Open the .IML file you just created, then build your ISO. Now wait some minutes and here you go, you've just ported the AE to the PS2!

One small problem this port has is that most of the Options menu and the Pause menu text will get killed, so you may want to learn what the choices mean by heart. Also, you won't be able to see the new movelists. The old ones will be shown instead, and that may not be really helpful for the extra characters (here's a guide for Amy: http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/931657-soulcalibur-iii-arcade-edition/faqs/44659), though the changes for standard ones are very slight. And, of course, there's Ivy and Yoshimitsu not working on PS2. But I think this works great, the gameplay was improved a lot! Have fun with it!

Attachments

Last edited:

artard4321

[10] Knight

Thanks a lot for the guide, I love how it balances the characters in Soulcalibur III! This guide is amazing but it disappoints me that Yoshimitsu and Ivy doesn't work properly even in the emulator. Olcadan also causes glitches in the graphics when he loads Yoshimitsu or Ivy's moveset. In quick play however, I have found that the graphics would be fixed when Yoshimitsu or Ivy fights the next character in Stage 2 and up, sadly this fix only stays in quick play I think. Another thing that I have found is that some stages have become more buggy in that some characters would teleport into the other side of the stage. Maybe updating the stages into Arcade Edition may help but the stage locations in the OLK files aren't shown in this guide. It would be nice if we can get these problems resolved to have an awesome game.

Also, I would like to know if there is a way to add and remove content rather than replacing them. And is there also a way for me to get the character select screen from Arcade Edition? It would be nice to have the character select screen in versus mode be similar to its arcade counterpart.

Again, I would like to thank you for this guide. It was fun modding the game :)

PigBenis

[08] Mercenary
Hey. I know this might be a pain, but could someone kindly do this and create another torrent. I myself need help with this, and people are still interested in downloading the torrent. People are still trying to download the original torrent. There are 7 peers.

I know it's a pain, but may you please do it? Keep the SCIII spirit alive!

And you did do it before... just reupload it.

artard4321

[10] Knight
It is actually fairly easy to do this, just follow through the guide carefully. The main part I was stuck on when I was first modding the game was with CHDMAN(only found in the 32-bit version of MAME, to use it you have to make a .txt file with the given command prompt and then changing the .txt to a .bat). I was about to ask for a re-upload until I was able to solve it. Just give it a shot, modding is actually quite fun and you get to mod it the way you want when you learn how to do so.

What I am waiting and hoping for would be an update to the guide so I can swap out the stages and the character select screen and also a fix for Ivy and Yoshimitsu.

C.AntonioFalcon

[09] Warrior
Thanks a lot for the guide, I love how it balances the characters in Soulcalibur III! This guide is amazing but it disappoints me that Yoshimitsu and Ivy doesn't work properly even in the emulator. Olcadan also causes glitches in the graphics when he loads Yoshimitsu or Ivy's moveset. In quick play however, I have found that the graphics would be fixed when Yoshimitsu or Ivy fights the next character in Stage 2 and up, sadly this fix only stays in quick play I think. Another thing that I have found is that some stages have become more buggy in that some characters would teleport into the other side of the stage. Maybe updating the stages into Arcade Edition may help but the stage locations in the OLK files aren't shown in this guide. It would be nice if we can get these problems resolved to have an awesome game.

Also, I would like to know if there is a way to add and remove content rather than replacing them. And is there also a way for me to get the character select screen from Arcade Edition? It would be nice to have the character select screen in versus mode be similar to its arcade counterpart.

Again, I would like to thank you for this guide. It was fun modding the game :)
Well, I play this game on my PS2 and the stages work perfectly on me, no glitches or anything. By the way, is there any program to edit the fighting styles? If so, I think that fixing Ivy and Yoshimitsu would be easy. And it doesn't look like it's possible to add new files, I'm afraid. About the selection screen, I have no idea on where it is located, I'm afraid. What I know is that it's not on File5, nor on File6.

Ian

[10] Knight
Well, I play this game on my PS2 and the stages work perfectly on me, no glitches or anything. By the way, is there any program to edit the fighting styles? If so, I think that fixing Ivy and Yoshimitsu would be easy. And it doesn't look like it's possible to add new files, I'm afraid. About the selection screen, I have no idea on where it is located, I'm afraid. What I know is that it's not on File5, nor on File6.
What was your thought of solution for this should a moveset editor become available? I'm pretty interested.

artard4321

[10] Knight
What causes these TLB Miss errors anyway? Why does it specifically affect Ivy and Yoshimitsu out of all the characters? Are there any special properties within their movesets? These are the questions that follow through my head, I just don't understand why other characters' movesets work but not Ivy and Yoshimitsu's. What I read in the other thread is that "It seems to have to do with the universal movelist properties file that was ported from AE, and not the actual movesets." so I would assume that the core gameplay files found in File6.olk is what causes this problem. If this truly is the case then our only possible solution would be for us to find a way to edit files 1-4 found in File6.olk and make it so that Ivy and Yoshimitsu's movesets may work. If we can somehow find a way to make these changes then we would also be able to fix the menu problems.

Reactions: Ian

C.AntonioFalcon

[09] Warrior
I wonder if replacing the old 3D models with the new ones fixes this. It is possible that the new files included in them are needed to get them working.

Ian

[10] Knight
I wonder if replacing the old 3D models with the new ones fixes this. It is possible that the new files included in them are needed to get them working.
That sounds pretty logical. Give it a shot.

Also, could you add another link for the ISO builder? Yours has died ;~;

Ian

[10] Knight
Thank you kind sir.

You wouldn't happen to have a list as to what files hold the character files in Soul Calibur II would you? Anyone?

artard4321

[10] Knight
Damn, I thought so... however the character models and graphics seem to work in the second match of quick play. I played through Yoshimitsu in quick play mode and fighting the first fighter always causes graphic issues. However, by the time I fight the second fighter, the graphics fix itself and I could play Yoshimitsu without experiencing problems in the graphics. Play through quick play and you guys will see what I mean. If only I have more experience with this...

dee4doa

[10] Knight
Is there any way to replace a mpde with the 'Legends mode' from the arcade OLK file? How come you can't just replace the whole OLK completly? :s

C.AntonioFalcon

[09] Warrior
The whole OLK is not compatible with the PS2. I don't know if Legend mode can be put in. What I know is that it's inside File3.olk.