I need a laptop!!!!

lobo

Luminario
Ok, so it's time for me to buy a Mac. I've been waiting for a while, and I'm finally totally pissed. I need a notebook, and I'm about to buy it off BestBuy.com. Are there any ill online spots I should check out before hand? I just wanna find the best score. I got like 1100-1400 to drop on it. Any suggestions would be sweet. I'll probably do it on Friday.

hate macs but with that kinda dough you can get a alienware or what i have that is a p6860fx its a 17' and with sweet capabilities

yeah but i don't wanna use it to game. i need it for music processing and word processing. a school computer. i'm not really a pc gamer.

-- and i just wanna computer that will run my shit for a long time with little maintenance. i can get pcs cheap...but i want a mac now. who is the best online distributer?

Macbook.

I'll probably get one this week or before then end of the year. IMO it's one of the better "all-in-one" laptops out there. Good for the casual gamer, school, personal use, multi-tasking, and programming. The sweet thing is if you're planning on using Leopard no need to worry about viruses or spyware. The architecture of mac makes this impossible and also makes it one of the safer platforms out there.

lobo said:
Ok, so it's time for me to buy a Mac.
facepalm.jpg

i thought they cost the same no matter where you go?

I've heard horror stories about the air.

Ok, so it's time for me to buy a Mac. I've been waiting for a while, and I'm finally totally pissed. I need a notebook, and I'm about to buy it off BestBuy.com. Are there any ill online spots I should check out before hand? I just wanna find the best score. I got like 1100-1400 to drop on it. Any suggestions would be sweet. I'll probably do it on Friday.

Why do you need a Mac? You may not need one.

You might be better off going for a cheap laptop, and replace every 2 years or something.

If I didn't need mine for work and really wanted a new one now I'd sell you my laptop.

i've been doing that...and every time i lose too much...either in transfer, broken files, totally fubar unrecoverable problem...

my roommate has had the same mac for six years and he is mad careless and downloads all kinds of stupid shit. you know what happened to it? nothing. i like pcs much more...they're cheaper, faster, easier to work with imo...but i'm sick and tired of dealing with their errors and corruption and worm shenanigans.

I never have those problems.

I'll keep you in mind if I get a new laptop soon, though I'm a lot less likely to hit Lucky's now due to job and general not needing SRK drama shit. (If Roski posted tournies here or at CF I'd never visit that site again)

I won't get anything until I see what Stardock's reqs are for their next game, and I know what my paychecks will be now.

facepalm.jpg

i thought they cost the same no matter where you go?

I've heard horror stories about the air.

i've heard bad stuff about the air too, but i bought mine about 2 months after it came out. i FUCKING LOVE IT.

most of the horror stories aren't true, or maybe im just one of those lucky air users. Havn't had ANY problems with it as of yet, except i've had laggy youtube videos once in a long time and the heat is sometimes unbearable. But even then, thats quite rare.. only use it for school, work, processing and to run my SNES emulator when i'm bored. Leopard OS> ALL, despite some compatability issues, NOTHING gets in and fiddles with the computer itself. like mentioned earlier, its quite rare for a macbook to go haywire due to leopard.

overall, i'm a macbook air user, and i love it.

Compatability is no longer an issue. You can now run Windows virtually on any mac without rebooting. All you need to do is purchase a licence for Parallels and then install your next OS. Parallels even lets you run both Leopard and your alternate OS at the same time.

the way i see it, its useless to try talking linux, windows, and Mac OS users out of their preferred OS. Its like politics, even if you can prove him/her completely wrong they wont change their position.

IBuyPower.com > Alienware

You can get something with similar specs for at $500 - $1000 less than Alienware. Obviously building a computer yourself is the best option, but that's not practical for everyone... 'specially for laptops.

However, I still think putting the words "gaming" and "laptop" together is far from ideal. You get a laptop for portability/convenience. You get a desktop if you want actual power for tasks like gaming, a/v editing, etc.

I disagree. You don't need a desktop for casual gaming. If you plan on using a laptop for multi tasking,graphic processing, and playing games with maxed out settlings then yes. If you're a casual gamer then it's definitely possible to use your laptop for your gaming. Sure the settings won't be maxed out and it may not look as good, but it'll get the job done in the end.

I've never bought a pre-built pc because there's no greater satisfaction than building your own. I'm planning on building a brand new rig myself. The only reason I'm held up is because the price for a pair Gigabyte HD 4870x2's, and the nickel EK water blocks for their GPU's is outrageously expensive. Might have to go with the DD block. >=S

Alright, casual gaming's fine on laptops, I'll give you that... I just find it odd when people spend so much money on a high-powered laptop to play stuff like Crysis as they's essentially paying twice as much as they would for a desktop.

If you plan on using a laptop for multi tasking,graphic processing, and playing games with maxed out settlings then yes.
I consider these to be not hardware-intensive tasks and perfectly fine for laptops. Get into compositing, 3d editing, and a/v editing... that's what I meant by needing real power. Plus, laptop monitors are the last thing you want to be doing that on.

And Jesus Christ, Barry. You always have the most high-end stuff, whether it's computers or entertainment centers. I want your kind of income. xD

Back