IDEA: Online Amateur Tournament

I really shouldn't post this.. XD

This is a very good point. If I'm getting just completely thrashed, I'll very quickly just get upset and frustrated. I'll get wrapped up in that frustration, desperately try to accomplish anything (and almost invariably fail since I'm too upset to think right), and find myself unable to take away anything from the match afterward. I wonder what I could do about that. If I could flip a switch and simply stop doing that, I would.

I'm doing this for you people!

Did you forget that I'm not entering? I can't be the only one who experiences this kind of thing. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way as I do. If you have the iron will to slam into an immovable object over and over, feel free. But not all of us do.

EDIT: Sorry for being late with the signups; yesterday was busy. I'm on it right now.

God this thread is a fucking eyesore.

TC, your idea is flawed on so many levels, and right now you just sound like you're failing at being a messiah figure for casuals, in addition to being immensely butthurt at being beaten by this imaginary "upper echelon" of which you speak.

My point is that you are setting a very, VERY bad example for all players, regardless of skill level. All you're doing is putting words in people's mouths and making a complete ass out of yourself.

If you restrict better players, how will the noobs and scrubs ever improve? They won't. This should be common knowledge to everyone, for gaming and in life.

Sure, there are plenty of bullheaded people with fragile egos who can't accept a loss that would gladly join your tournament, but there are people who actually like the game and want to improve. And the only way they will do that is if they learn from their defeats and adapt accordingly.

There are plenty of ways for them to seek help. The friend request exists for many reasons. One can also tell them about 8WR, or any other site that has information regarding the game. That's how communities grow.

But instead you're assuming that all higher-skilled players are evil assholes who actively enjoy making others suffer for their pleasure, which is for the most part untrue.

I understand your reasoning, but something like this is not going to help players or their peers. It will only serve to divide the community, much like it's doing right now.

If you restrict better players, how will the noobs and scrubs ever improve? They won't. This should be common knowledge to everyone, for gaming and in life.

Sure, there are plenty of bullheaded people with fragile egos who can't accept a loss that would gladly join your tournament, but there are people who actually like the game and want to improve. And the only way they will do that is if they learn from their defeats and adapt accordingly.
Where is the basis for this idea that low-level players have to receive merciless floggings from the highest level players in order to improve, and that playing with their peers is guaranteed to offer no improvement whatsoever? I am convinced that this idea is more flawed than you believe mine is.

But instead you're assuming that all higher-skilled players are evil assholes who actively enjoy making others suffer for their pleasure, which is for the most part untrue.
You're putting words into my mouth now. I'm not assuming that ALL higher-skilled players are like this. I just know for sure that there are a few who would love to crash a party of lower-level players and ruin their day. The restrictions are just for them.

Also, rein in your attidude. I've had enough of it from others.

People need to stop tearing this apart lol. very simple
You have a ranking list, or use the one thats up and have 2 tournaments,
So tournament #1 will be for ranks 20 and below
tournament #2 will be ranks 20 and above
obvious that was just an example of what I meant, but that would work. And anyone who wants to says "noobs wont get better playing among themselves" needs to shut the fuck up, and understand a noob versing a good player isnt necessarily helpful as-well, unless the good player is willing to help. At least this way low level players can work up a ranking ladder, and be forced to progress if they want to get higher.

The rankings aren't effective for this purpose, unfortunately, and I really wish they could be. I'd love to use them, just be like, "everyone above rank ## can't enter", make my job way easier. The thing is there are not only majors in there, but also multiple small local tournaments, and con tournaments too. Which is good! Except that not all smaller tournaments get placed in the rankings. Online tournaments don't get put into the ranks either. Because of this inconsistency, it can't be relied on.

Really, my criteria don't filter out a huge load of people. Most of the people who get filtered out wouldn't be interested in this anyways.

Where is the basis for this idea that low-level players have to receive merciless floggings from the highest level players in order to improve, and that playing with their peers is guaranteed to offer no improvement whatsoever?
Did you not listen to anything I talked about last night?
chansub-global-emoticon-f6c13c7fc0a5c93d-36x30.png

Guys let them have their tournament. They're on 8wr, if they want to ascend to the upper echelon and need some help from an experienced player, they don't have to look far.

Might as well call this a beginner's tourney. From peeps with barely any experience to ones that have some grasp yet can't beat a competent player consistently. The logic is walk before you run as to start small with the amateurs and move up to the professionals league when ready.

So on that note, I'm banned from this tourney even though I never participated. I could enter, but I might steamroll beginners. I'm competent to at least switch up the pace when fighting. That aside, it is gonna be so much work trying to round up who really sucks atm to peeps who don't need this.

The only thing that puts me skeptical of this whole thing, is if the beginners or amateurs show no interest to ascend higher, it could be a problem. Not only that, I just feel some tension may arise from pros to amateurs as to CAS scrubs to Hardcore players. But for now, I'll leave it up to the TC since I have no clue how will this play out.

Um ok you can make you own rankings duh

just do a registration tournament with a round robin format, and take the results from that to make a rankings list

Where is the basis for this idea that low-level players have to receive merciless floggings from the highest level players in order to improve, and that playing with their peers is guaranteed to offer no improvement whatsoever?

To be honest. When I lived in Kansas and actually contributed to the offline scene there that's how I taught everyone how to play.

that's how i've been taught to play a bunch of other fighters like SSF4 and skullgirls lol

I like it when someone teaches me like that because it quickly teaches me what's bad, how predictable I'm being, and it gives me a goal on who to beat later. xD

You become the best by fighting the best!

You don't get any better by beating bad players.

At the end of the day, you're playing games to have fun, not meet some social status e-peen quota. Remember, fun trumps all egos.

Back