If they killed off Soul Calibur...?

Kai_lombax

[13] Hero
I had a little discussion with somoene on Soul Calibur a few days ago. He pretty much said that he think Soul Calibur should be put to rest because it doesn't sell near as much as Tekken or even, other more mainstream fighters like Mortal Kombat. He pretty much said, what's the point of keeping a game going when they have a small niche' market.

I pretty much responded saying that just because a market is small, doesn't mean that it should be abandoned. Since Project Soul is affiliated with Namco, I don't see why it should die. I mean, sure, it probably doesn't make a lot of money compared to Tekken but since Tekken is practicall one of the most popular fighting games around, they can still make large profits from that game.

I just don't know. I mean, I may not have been the biggest fan of Soul Calibur 5 but I know the series can be great and I think it'd suck if they discontinued the games.

What do you guys think? Would you care if they stopped making Soul Calibur games?

some random person who claims to be ? how credible ?
What? No no. Not someone who works on Soul Calibur, just another fan.

I would pick up DOA.
DOA is okay I think.

Thank you for sharing this.
Actually, wasn't it said that SCV outsold Tekken Tag 2?

Edit: Ah yes, it says it in the link that Signia posted.

Yep, apparently so. This is surprising. I'm still having the discussion with the guy so I'll use this source. I think it means that Soul Calibur still is in the running. Hopefully, Lost Swords will do alright though i'm hearing lots of mixed things right now.

Lost swords is nothing but a cash cow for SP junkies who didn't get their cake with SCV. It's a rather smart move actually, separating their competitive fans with the casual ones.

Back to the original point, SC is doing just fine. It's Tekken rather that I'm worried about. Many Tekken fans have crossed over to the dark side :).

And besides, from what I hear too many characters play the same way in Tekken.

The myth that Soulcalibur doesn't sell is ridiculous.
Lost swords is nothing but a cash cow for SP junkies who didn't get their cake with SCV. It's a rather smart move actually, separating their competitive fans with the casual ones.

Back to the original point, SC is doing just fine. It's Tekken rather that I'm worried about. Many Tekken fans have crossed over to the dark side :).

There aren't enough competitive fans of any fighting game series to sustain a franchise financially.

Actually, wasn't it said that SCV outsold Tekken Tag 2?

Edit: Ah yes, it says it in the link that Signia posted.

Yea, but which lasted longer? Obviously TTT2, the tournaments are huge here. Idk how it is in the UK but it is huge here. Where I am from the Jackpot is like $800-1,000. Sadly, for SCV the tournaments are small and barely people show up.

It's not as popular here either, although things like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter is more popular in the UK afaik.

I kind of disagree with that statement. If we're going on Tekken Tag tournament 2, then yeah, there are a few characters who play similar but not the grand majority other than Eddy & Christie or Kazuya & Jin. And I don't see Tekken going anywhere really unless their next game flops badly. After looking at the stats chart of sales, I hope that Namco sees that Soul Calibur still has potential if it out sold TTT2 from a sales perspective. But if they rush them again with the next game, it could cost them. And you know what? So what if Lost Swords is a cash cow for suckers. If it'll help make them money to hopefully support their next game, than it works out fine.

To make a Soulcalibur from scratch, you must first invent the FGC.
Well, if they put out a great Soul Calibur game, maybe it'll bring around some more fans that coul create some more followers. Btw, who is the character in your avatar if you don't mind me asking? He looks cool lol

The myth that Soulcalibur doesn't sell is ridiculous.

There aren't enough competitive fans of any fighting game series to sustain a franchise financially.
Unless you're Street Fighter lol. That game has a wide range of fans and hell, they made like 4 iterations of Street Fighter IV. Now that's crazy to me but if people are willing to buy them, more power to them.

Unless you're Street Fighter lol. That game has a wide range of fans and hell, they made like 4 iterations of Street Fighter IV. Now that's crazy to me but if people are willing to buy them, more power to them.
Not even Street Fighter can make it on the competitive base alone (which is too small to support a big budget title). Otherwise, they wouldn't have added comeback mechanics or controller shortcuts.

Back