Is Create-A-Soul Important?

Is Create-A-Soul Important?

• YES

Votes: 80 92.0%
  • NO

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters
Can't tell much about the full options from that video really.
You can always look at other youtube vids.
CaS is something you can’t back away from
I did, after finishing Chronicles of the Sword there's really no point in me playing CaS anymore; all that's left that keeps me going on is offline competition.
But yeah I love the CAS and SC wouldn’t be as fun without it. Keep it because people like it.
Pretty sure the same can be said in Mortal Kombat, but here's the thing; after MK Armageddon, MK9 and MKX no longer feature Kreate-a-fighter yet both sell far better than MK Armageddon.
Right, it all depends on the game you like.
I believe that part is true.
The best creation tool is in your mind, period !
Ya, but the ability to express your creativity from your mind is hindered by the lack of other tools.

Last edited:
I did, after finishing Chronicles of the Sword there's really no point in me playing CaS anymore; all that's left that keeps me going on is offline competition.
Pretty sure the same can be said in Mortal Kombat, but here's the thing; after MK Armageddon, MK9 and MKX no longer feature Kreate-a-fighter yet both sell far better than MK Armageddon.

Ya, but the ability to express your creativity from your mind is hindered by the lack of other tools.
Honestly not convinced the right people even knew about the customization in MK. I'm sure most like myself were at the time thinking of soulcalibur as the game with character creation and neither looked at or considered the possibility of it in MK. I know I barely even glance at other fighters and unless they were screaming it from the rooftops would never have noticed. Meanwhile I'm always looking for the next soulcalibur game by name because unlike MK which is known for fatalities soulcalibur is known as the game with CaS.

MK is known for fatalities in the same way Soulcalibur is known for CaS at this point. Take fatalities out of MK and you'll be a bit closer in comparison to Soulcalibur withour CaS. MK is not known for character creation and gaining and losing it is not an accurate portrayal of Soulcalibur which is known for it and actually has that fanbase.

Wish I had known about it as I would have bought and supported it. Sadly I had no idea and I suspect that's broadly true.

Last edited:
I voted yes
To me CAS is very important as it let's me kinda create 'myself' in the game, so even though most games don't really represent me or my culture, with soul calibur I know there will always be a game where I can play as a super cool character that I can relate with in almost every way. I hold this kind of thing very dear to me, I know it probably sounds silly to a lot of people but growing up I never really played any games or watched any shows where I could relate to the main character because i'm not 'normal' whatever that means haha. Ah sorry for rambling on for so long it's just this is something I think needs to be taken very seriously.
this CAS will always be 'MY' hero.
obscenities

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted yes
To me CAS is very important as it let's me kinda create 'myself' in the game, so even though most games don't really represent me or my culture, with soul calibur I know there will always be a game where I can play as a super cool character that I can relate with in almost every way. I hold this kind of thing very dear to me, I know it probably sounds silly to a lot of people but growing up I never really played any games or watched any shows where I could relate to the main character because i'm not 'normal' whatever that means haha. Ah sorry for rambling on for so long it's just this is something I think needs to be taken very seriously.
this CAS will always be 'MY' hero.
obscenities
Inappropriate content removed. Carry on :P

I agree that CaS has seriously impacted the SC experience, as you, Gatsu, and others have observed. I might ask you to consider that CaS has evolved to be an entirely separate game in itself, which many resent PS forcing upon their wallets. I mean, you can't even buy Tira without buying 100 CaS pieces.

That said, your disdain for the innumerable limitations on the CaS engine is, counterintuitively, precisely what makes it so fun. Chess, for example, is fun because you can't just teleport your rook into the enemy king. The very process of planning/executing your attack is enjoyable. Problem solving: that's the difference between an open canvas and SC's creation engine. And like chess, the more work you put in, the better the results. Thus, a game unto itself.

I'm not sure if you've seen some of the crazier stuff here, but some of it is mind-boggling, even 6 years after SCV's release. To you, perhaps, CaS is little more than the Venus de Milo built from Doritos and Elmer's glue. But to the creators here, CaS is the culmination of art, ingenuity, and perseverance. And the occasional Hulk with purple shorts and raccoon genitalia.

Last edited:
I agree that CaS has seriously impacted the SC experience, as you, Gatsu, and others have observed. I might ask you to consider that CaS has evolved to be an entirely separate game in itself, which many resent PS forcing upon their wallets. I mean, you can't even buy Tira without buying 100 CaS pieces.

That said, your disdain for the innumerable limitations on the CaS engine is, counterintuitively, precisely what makes it so fun. Chess, for example, is fun because you can't just teleport your rook into the enemy king. The very process of planning/executing your attack is enjoyable. Problem solving: that's the difference between an open canvas and SC's creation engine. And like chess, the more work you put in, the better the results. Thus, a game unto itself.

I'm not sure if you've seen some of the crazier stuff here, but some of it is mind-boggling, even 6 years after SCV's release. To you, perhaps, CaS is little more than the Venus de Milo built from Doritos and Elmer's glue. But to the creators here, CaS is the culmination of art, ingenuity, and perseverance. And the occasional Hulk with purple shorts and raccoon genitalia.

My words exactly, only your wording is marginally better my friend :)
And i am chess player too, so il like the analogy as it relates to me.
I would add that beyond the game this forum has created a beautiful CASsociation of talents from all over the world, with people teaching others how to CAS, others creating stuff for fellow players "on demand", and sometimes heated arguments about artistic tastes, skills and whatnot. It's the only board i have been active on, let alone popular...

Some of us probably spent nearly as much time talking / posting CAS as we have trying to exploit every single aspect (even bug) of the editor to bring our wildest thoughts to life. Because we felt at home here, with people sharing our passion for the game, and for the pleasure of casually playing with some 8wayrunners, showing our stuff to get feedback from the community (good or bad, fair or not).

i didn't know about microtransactions, and i despise this, but i bought the game with the season pass (blindly i admit) because that is the only extra support i can give the PS team...except trying to create beautiful CAS if and when i am able to :)

Last edited:
My words exactly, only your wording is marginally better my friend :)
And i am chess player too, so il like the analogy as it relates to me.
I would add that beyond the game this forum has created a beautiful CASsociation of talents from all over the world, with people teaching others how to CAS, others creating stuff for fellow players "on demand", and sometimes heated arguments about artistic tastes, skills and whatnot. It's the only board i have been active on, let alone popular...

Some of us probably spent nearly as much time talking / posting CAS as we have trying to exploit every single aspect (even bug) of the editor to bring our wildest thoughts to life. Because we felt at home here, with people sharing our passion for the game, and for the pleasure of casually playing with some 8wayrunners, showing our stuff to get feedback from the community (good or bad, fair or not).

i didn't know about microtransactions, and i despise this, but i bought the game with the season pass (blindly i admit) because that is the only extra support i can give the PS team...except trying to create beautiful CAS if and when i am able to :)
Yes! Chess teaches you how to be a proper sociopath. For now we get to enjoy another 3 weeks of peace before the madness descends muahahaha

you can't even buy Tira without buying 100 CaS pieces.
That's for the season pass, but alternatively you can buy her as a standalone DLC based on what NamcoBandai says on Twitter.
Okay but the game won't last when you realize that you can't create all the characters you've wanted to create; simplicity can be fun but is short lived. Now you've used chess as an analogy explaining the more work you've put in, the better the results; however, it can only take your creations this far when 3D & 2D art programs can take it even further. I'll explain more in detail based on your next piece of quote.
I'm not sure if you've seen some of the crazier stuff here, but some of it is mind-boggling, even 6 years after SCV's release. To you, perhaps, CaS is little more than the Venus de Milo built from Doritos and Elmer's glue.
I've checked out the Hulk and Black Spiderman, gotta admit they aren't bad, but still you can't create any character as you please; look at the image of Sonic the hedgehog posted by Gatsu, how can you create the hedgehog exactly the way he is using CaS? You simply can't. You need moar robust tools along with other software to make Sonic. I think your chess analogy for that matter isn't that great because in order to make characters like Sonic, you have to step or rather teleport beyond the boundaries of CaS. I much rather see a PC modded skin character than a CaS created one and SC6 uses Unreal Engine 4 so dat's a possibility.
to the creators here, CaS is the culmination of art, ingenuity, and perseverance.
Have you tried any 3D programs as well as 2D programs at all? cuz to say that CaS is the culmination of art sounds like a joke in comparison to them; as for ingenuity and perseverance the same can be pretty much said but the results after all that is a reward in itself after taking constructive criticisms and putting all that effort into fruition than what you can achieve with CaS.

Last edited:
Yes! Chess teaches you how to be a proper sociopath. For now we get to enjoy another 3 weeks of peace before the madness descends muahahaha

Actually, we are at D-10 or 9 for early buyers...i wonder how the learning curve will be tbh, and the % of novelty will be good to know as well...there are tons of vids on (youtube 20 min character creation soul calibur 6 etc.) but i carefully avoid spoilers so i am tempted but end up not watching hehe :)

Last edited:
Okay but the game won't last when you realize that you can't create all the characters you've wanted to create; simplicity can be fun but is short lived. Now you've used chess as an analogy explaining the more work you've put in, the better the results; however, it can only take your creations this far when 3D & 2D art programs can take it even further.

I agree, even the most creative mind won't get past the editors limitations, limited modding existed already in SCV but (reminder) it is not allowed to discuss such things here.
Yet drawing, digital painting, writing, let alone 3D art and modelling takes a lot of skills and patience (and resources ie. software, pen tablet etc. in some cases). That i can tell you from my own experience as a moderately capable hobby artist using both traditional and digital techniques.

I think your chess analogy for that matter isn't that great because in order to make characters like Sonic, you have to step or rather teleport beyond the boundaries of CaS. I much rather see a PC modded skin character than a CaS created one and SC6 uses Unreal Engine 4 so dat's a possibility.

Do you know that people play random chess, remove pieces, play blind, create crazy start scenario (like a GM against komodo), and that there are more chess game combinations than there are atoms in the universe ? You like quotes, so i am sure do, hence i don't understand the "isn't that great" part :)

sure if you have a PC and good programming and modelling skills you are likely to achieve something more original/lifelike than what we peons will be able to do with the user-friendly editor and available resources. Which doesn't mean we can't create our own resources thru clever combination. Creating additional resources / models ? hum, it would require extensive amounts of time, not be garantueed to work, and mercilessly moderated. Also it'd likely result in weird in-game bugs and crashes. Not worth it imho, and totally irrelevant for me at least in the SC6 on xbox one x context.
I have always been in favour of sanctioned modding though, i used mods in skyrim for instance, and as i said in a previous post supporting yours, which you didn't quote, it would be excellent to be able to modify things like face presets as in many other games (i'd name AO tennis as a great example).

Let me emphasize 3 things : 1/user-friendly doesn't mean shallow 2/i have no interest in recreating look-a-likes of existing chars, i have always strived to capture their soul/persona instead, if you get me. 3/some of the CAS we created are rather complex and made use of all the available memory allowed for items, textures, layers, stickers and whatnot...i was wondering, did you have a SCV CAS thread : not to question your credibilty, nor for bashing / critique, just for the guilty pleasure of looking at other's creations :)

Have you tried any 3D programs as well as 2D programs at all? cuz to say that CaS is the culmination of art sounds like a joke in comparison to them; as for ingenuity and perseverance the same can be pretty much said but the results after all that is a reward in itself after taking constructive criticisms and putting all that effort into fruition than what you can achieve with CaS.

Have you ? Then show us what you do with a 3D/2D program, soul calibur theme or not, i'd love to see, as i am interested in all kind of arts ! :)
I have a friend doing nice 2D pixel art for games, i think it is great but i prefer my 3D UE4 CAS than 8bit style, but i still regard what he does highly...
The one who thinks anything is the culmination of art is only culminating in idiocy (this is not aimed at you brucege) : someone said art is the only serious thing in the world, and the artist the only not serious person in the world, so what we do is just ultimately for fun :)
Outside CAS, i did art (comics) "against" handicap like blindness, commissions for various events, my own interactive RPG comic, and many artbooks, both traditional and digital. Heck, i even did artsy artbooks for my CAS back then...
This was much more complicated and time consuming than doing a cool looking CAS, and is probably so much less meaningful than people working in NGOs, doing R&D (i know one here :) or caring for their family (i do that too), but it was still worth it, even if strictly within the boundaries of my own mind and tools...

Why don't you quote my sig, it is a good summary of all the above :)

I've checked out the Hulk and Black Spiderman, gotta admit they aren't bad, but still you can't create any character as you please; look at the image of Sonic the hedgehog posted by Gatsu, how can you create the hedgehog exactly the way he is using CaS? You simply can't. You need moar robust tools along with other software to make Sonic. I think your chess analogy for that matter isn't that great because in order to make characters like Sonic, you have to step or rather teleport beyond the boundaries of CaS. I much rather see a PC modded skin character than a CaS created one and SC6 uses Unreal Engine 4 so dat's a possibility.
The usefulness of CaS was likely intended for humanoid characters and is not meant to be used to create things like like Sonic...and despite that you still get people who do the best they can with what they are given; it is definitely using a hell of a lot of creativity. Below is an example of someone who created a Sonic...it goes through all the steps which is probably more interesting than the end result.

That is to say nothing of all the excellent original designs that have been done by numerous people.

You like quotes, so i am sure do, hence i don't understand the "isn't that great" part :)
The chess analogy isn't that great because no matter how brilliant you are in creating CaS characters you can't create other characters that look really close or exactly like other characters; sure you can get pretty close results in the case with Hulk and Black Spider Man but not as close or exactly just that with more advanced 3D application programs.

Quotes are good when someone makes a very long post, I respond by breaking them down into quotes and responding to each of them. I also use their quotes when many ppl post afterwards so it becomes less confusing to whom I'm responding to. It's a good way to organize my debate.
sure if you have a PC and good programming and modelling skills you are likely to achieve something more original/lifelike than what we peons will be able to do with the user-friendly editor and available resources.
You can be the latter and grab a friend who's a programmer to do the programming for you.
Creating additional resources / models ? hum, it would require extensive amounts of time, not be garantueed to work, and mercilessly moderated. Also it'd likely result in weird in-game bugs and crashes. Not worth it imho, and totally irrelevant for me at least in the SC6 on xbox one x context.
I was thinking the PC version of Soul Calibur 6 but I do think the extensive amount of time to gather resources or models is worth it and it's not because it theoretically works for the PC but because it's also a way to show a good art portfolio and get a better chance of being hired by the gaming industry or some other 3d modeling company.
did you have a SCV CAS thread : not to question your credibilty, nor for bashing / critique, just for the guilty pleasure of looking at other's creations :)
No, I do not have a SCV CaS thread.
Have you? Then show us what you do with a 3D/2D program, soul calibur theme or not, i'd love to see, as i am interested in all kind of arts ! :)
Yes, I'll show you one of my 3d textured models from my works.
FrontSideAngle.jpg
RearSideAngle.jpg
TopAngle.jpg

I created this 3D model using a 3d application program called 3Ds Max then painted textures and rendered those 3 shots using Substance Painter. I'm more of a 3D game prop artist; not a 3D character artist though I've studied on character modeling.

Last edited:
3DS Max is fine for people who're seriously into 3D modelling and wanna use that for work or artistic expression or what have you.

It's a far cry from making a few characters in a game you like. I think it's disingenuous to compare the two. It's like asking people why they're using Paint when Photoshop or SAI exist. I'm sure many CaSers aren't actually all that interested outside of "there's an editor available in this game I enjoy" and using that for it's intended purpose.

Seems to be a lot of exaggeration and assumption going on 'round here. I think it's a lot simpler than that.

i concur. @franman : was talking about quotes in ur sig and profile posts which i read. Even though you seem to disagree with us CAS junkies and what you cant quite grasp rationally, your trolley is incredibly realistic and boring at the same time. time u spent on this i can only guess, i hope u were paid for it though because it looks the part
...i also hope we'll see some CAS from you ! super hero CAS are not good examples either, and what's the point of carbon copies, cf picasso, dali etc.

Back