Is Create-A-Soul Important?

Is Create-A-Soul Important?

• YES

Votes: 80 92.0%
  • NO

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters
3DS Max is fine for people who're seriously into 3D modelling and wanna use that for work or artistic expression or what have you.
At the same time building a strong portfolio to increase your chances to get hired by gaming or 3D companies.
It's a far cry from making a few characters in a game you like. I think it's disingenuous to compare the two.
It maybe a far cry from CaS editor but there's more meaning in showing off your work on your portfolio site than showing off your CaS characters in your own CaS thread.
It's like asking people why they're using Paint when Photoshop or SAI exist. I'm sure many CaSers aren't actually all that interested outside of "there's an editor available in this game I enjoy" and using that for it's intended purpose.
Maybe at first due to how overwhelmingly difficult it is, but among the many, there maybe those that continuously hone their skills that's when I think the leap from say Paint to Photoshop might be a consideration. The impression I get from those who posted images of their creation on their own thread are those that continuously hone their skills.

^I don't care at all, didn't post my rendered images to get anyone's opinion anyway.
Even though you seem to disagree with us CAS junkies and what you cant quite grasp rationally,
ya you ppl are a hard group to understand. I just don't see the value behind simplicity.
your trolley is incredibly realistic and boring at the same time.
Okay it took me a while to figure out that by "trolley" you mean shopping cart. Well I didn't post that for the purpose getting anyone's opinions anyway since you've requested for it, but I do agree it's boring and moar spice needs to fill this cart.
...i also hope we'll see some CAS from you !
Don't look forward to it. I'm honestly not gonna waste my time and effort in creating a soul. It's pointless for me, I'm just gonna continue spicing up the cart.

Last edited:
At the same time building a strong portfolio to increase your chances to get hired by gaming or 3D companies.
Absolutely. But this mindset you currently have seems to assume people are using CaS to make some sort of portfolio for employment reasons? I don't imagine anyone here takes it *that* seriously.
It maybe a far cry from CaS editor but there's more meaning in showing off your work on your portfolio site than showing off your CaS characters in your own CaS thread.
Which is precisely why I doubt anyone is actually doing this?

It feels like you think people take CaS (or people's opinions of it) WAY more serious than they actually do. I don't think anybody in their right mind would equate indulging a bit of creative fantasy to working hard to achieve an employment or study goal.

Maybe at first due to how overwhelmingly difficult it is, but among the many, there maybe those that continuously hone their skills that's when I think the leap from say Paint to Photoshop might be a consideration. The impression I get from those who posted images of their creation on their own thread are those that continuously hone their skills.
Their skills at producing something unique within the limitations and confines of the editor. Their skills at making characters in this particular part of this specific series.
They wanna push the boundaries of the Create-a-Soul engine and see what they can make with it. This doesn't necessarily mean they're interested in 3D modelling, or necessarily art, in general.

--
Genuine question to anyone reading this: How many of you bought/buy Soulcalibur BECAUSE of CaS? Or is it simply a feature you enjoy in a series you like?

I'd be honestly surprised if anyone answered "yes" to the first question.

Genuine question to anyone reading this: How many of you bought/buy Soulcalibur BECAUSE of CaS? Or is it simply a feature you enjoy in a series you like?

The soul reason I am getting sc6 and not just sticking with tekken is because tekken has trash customization. i'm genuinely super bad at sc games but the CaS aspect is just too much fun to pass up.

Absolutely. But this mindset you currently have seems to assume people are using CaS to make some sort of portfolio for employment reasons? I don't imagine anyone here takes it *that* seriously.

Which is precisely why I doubt anyone is actually doing this?

It feels like you think people take CaS (or people's opinions of it) WAY more serious than they actually do. I don't think anybody in their right mind would equate indulging a bit of creative fantasy to working hard to achieve an employment or study goal.

Their skills at producing something unique within the limitations and confines of the editor. Their skills at making characters in this particular part of this specific series.
They wanna push the boundaries of the Create-a-Soul engine and see what they can make with it. This doesn't necessarily mean they're interested in 3D modelling, or necessarily art, in general.

--

CaS is the reason why I buy Soulcalibur. Without it, it's just another fighter. I like making and fighting using my own designs.

"Don't look forward to it. I'm honestly not gonna waste my time and effort in creating a soul. It's pointless for me, I'm just gonna continue spicing up the cart."

Ok, then why on earth are you still here debating stuff with us simple-minded casual CAS artists : go hone your 3D cart crafting skills, i totally respect that...if we are so hard to understand, well try retracing our steps and browsing through any CAS thread you think relevant, but that would be pointless, and what was the point of your posts btw, please elaborate...

Bluntly stating CAS creation is too simplistic to have any residual value, even fun or artistic, is just your POV, and i beg to differ.
There is one part of your many messages on which we can agree though, let me quote :
The impression I get from those who posted images of their creation on their own thread are those that continuously hone their skills.

And yeah, i meant shopping cart, not shopping trolley, because in the dark recesses of my troubled 2D mind, i inadvertently thought about the word trolling upon typin'...:)

To your question above my old friend : answer is no, i didn't even know its existence before i bought the game, and i barely touched it after purchase because i already had a job/family of sorts. What do thou mean by : thou art a frog-eating liar ???!!!...

It is all just for fun, i have loads of issues IRL right now but i still drop by because this board is still a nice place to be...

Last edited:

I do think that most ppl who posted their CaS threads showing off their creations maybe taking the creation aspect more seriously than casually; however, I don't think they would use that as a portfolio for employment.
There is the possibility of ppl thinking because they are very skilled in creativity that they maybe ready for the next level. That's basically the concept of leaping from Paint to Photoshop. It's an afterthought when you feel confident in your creative level. To put it simply CaS is a soft introduction to creativity that builds up ppl's confidence that could possibly take their confidence even further.
For the latter question, depends on the series, SC3 has Chronicles of the Swords and SC6 has Libra of Souls so there's a bit of reason for me to enjoy CaS for a short while. Other series I wouldn't even touch CaS.

Last edited:
The soul reason I am getting sc6 and not just sticking with tekken is because tekken has trash customization. i'm genuinely super bad at sc games but the CaS aspect is just too much fun to pass up.
But not comparing other games at all, you're buying SC6 for the CaS aspect? Like, ignoring Tekken and other fighters, it's that which you find more enjoyable than the main gameplay itself? No judgements I'm just very curious :)

CaS is the reason why I buy Soulcalibur. Without it, it's just another fighter. I like making and fighting using my own designs.
That completely fair, you've both surprised me actually but if that's your main draw than power to you both. For me, I like Soulcalibur and will buy it even without the CaS feature, but while it exists and continues to be surprisingly robust I'll still absolutely utilise it. Sometimes you just wanna make an alt costume or bring a character to life.

I do think that most ppl who posted their CaS threads showing off their creations maybe taking the creation aspect more seriously than casually; however, I don't think they would use that as a portfolio for employment.
Oh certainly the majority of self-styled "CaS artists" will undoubtedly be using it more than casually. Of course some people are just proud of their creations and wanna join in. It's good you don't think people are serious enough to consider it employment-level though, that would be silly.

There is the possibility of ppl thinking because they are very skilled in creativity that they maybe ready for the next level. That's basically the concept of leaping from Paint to Photoshop. It's an afterthought when you feel confident in your creative level. To put it simply CaS is like a soft introduction that builds ppl's confidence and that could possibly take their confidence even further.
There's a possibility of course, though I haven't seen any evidence of it in this thread, nor any other CaS-based thread I've been in (which isn't to say it doesn't exist). If people get a taste for it they may well pursue it as a real hobby but it's also fine if people are just happy with this.

For the latter question, depends on the series, SC3 has Chronicles of the Swords and SC6 has Libra of Souls so there's a bit of reason for me to enjoy CaS for a short while. Other series I wouldn't even touch CaS.
And yeah it makes sense. There's a reason for it in those games but otherwise you're not interested.

Ok, then why on earth are you still here debating stuff with us simple-minded casual CAS artists : go hone your 3D cart crafting skills, i totally respect that...if we are so hard to understand, well try retracing our steps and browsing through any CAS thread you think relevant, but that would be pointless, and what was the point of your posts btw, please elaborate...
Well one because I'm bored, two because that's what the OP seems to encourage here and finally because I wanna see if I can learn a few things from you guys, that is what you can bring that I never thought of; I find it interesting to debate with ppl with diverse ideas and challenge upon them.

Look at this thread now. We have 5 pages, I mean if it's just a thread where ppl post their own opinions w/o debate, this thread would've died.

Last edited:
Okay it took me a while to figure out that by "trolley" you mean shopping cart.
And yeah, i meant shopping cart, not shopping trolley, because in the dark recesses of my troubled 2D mind, i inadvertently thought about the word trolling upon typin'...:)

Also this shit is REAL pedantic. FYI in England we call them trolleys so Vil might well have meant that.

But not comparing other games at all, you're buying SC6 for the CaS aspect? Like, ignoring Tekken and other fighters, it's that which you find more enjoyable than the main gameplay itself? No judgements I'm just very curious :)
Yup 100% if sc6 didn't have CaS I wouldn't even look at it, tbh i didn't even know about the soul calibur franchise until sc3 because a friend told me about the CaS mode.

Yup 100% if sc6 didn't have CaS I wouldn't even look at it, tbh i didn't even know about the soul calibur franchise until sc3 because a friend told me about the CaS mode.
Oh cool, well hey there we go then. May I ask what it is that draws you into SC's creation mode compared to other games (in which you can create an original character, so not Tekken basically)? :)

Oh cool, well hey there we go then. May I ask what it is that draws you into SC's creation mode compared to other games (in which you can create an original character, so not Tekken basically)? :)
Speaking for myself I love the art style of Soulcalibur and I love creating many characters. Soulcalibur allows me to make characters I can use quickly and easily as well as a decent number of them.

I think that's one of the issues I have with other games with creators. Most are rpgs and getting any real use out of the character requires more investment than a fighter does. Plus the slots are typically absurdly limited so you can't use them to make a lot of characters.

With Soulcalibur I can make a good looking character and with some work bring my characters from various tabletop games to life.

Honestly if it could be done right would love a D&D Fighter where people sorta create their own fighter and deul and stuff. I don't mean rpg style either I mean fighter like Soulcalibur is a fighter.

Yes, CaS is very important. I think the ability to make your own character is the best part of gaming by far. I honestly wouldn't have bothered with this series without it. The cast doesn't interest me, at all. Its a mandatory feature for me.

And not just for this series. There is nothing about Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Ball, etc. that interests me enough to get the game without the ability to make my character and do things with them.

Last edited:
I think mostly it's just the aesthetics of soul calibur that draws me in.
I play the wwe games when I visit particular friends of mine and those games have way more options as far as the CaS aspect goes, however because the characters all look ugly anyway (imo) it doesn't really matter. I suppose what I am saying is I like sc most because it has the most customization options while still appealing to me on an aesthetic level.
A similar example of this would be when it comes to mmorpgs I only play ff14 because the character I can create looks super nice where as in others like WoW and lord of the rings online the art style of the game is so trash (imo) that again I just can't get into the game.

Back