Is it just me, or are gaming series getting worse each year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's moreso that I'm just getting more and more picky about the games I buy.

There are things I miss that have mostly disappeared though, like good 2D sidescrolling action games

What I miss is the feeling of being impressed by what we would consider today to be shit graphics.

That's the hardest part about playing old games: I've been spoiled by good graphics!

I actually love graphics so much. Graphics I think help brings the best out of games. However, you guys are right, modes were better then they were in the past, despite graphics. It's almost like they've both switched. Instead of giving the power to the modes, it was given to graphics. I'm not trying to say anything here, I'm just saying what something feels like is all.

Genre-specifically, Graphics breeds laziness.

Case in point? JRPG's especially used to have to focus on the dialogue and simple characterizations to grant a deeper understanding of a simple pixelated person. I dare you to try and explain to me anything about what makes sense about Final Fantasy 13. It's all flash, no substance, and bad gameplay... but it sure does look pretty. I've taken to calling it "Final Fantasy 8-2".

Case in point? JRPG's especially used to have to focus on the dialogue and simple characterizations to grant a deeper understanding of a simple pixelated person. I dare you to try and explain to me anything about what makes sense about Final Fantasy 13. It's all flash, no substance, and bad gameplay... but it sure does look pretty. I've taken to calling it "Final Fantasy 8-2".

Hence why we got 2 versions of that dam FF and to make it worst we still didnt get versus... >_>X. Im picky with my games too but reason why im picky because nothing is trying anymore. It's rare you see a game have good production value and GREAT content these days and sadly the last game to do that was TTT2 and Xenoblade on Wii (debatable on graphics department if your a graphics whore lol).

I'm a graphic whore n.n but I also want modes too, not just graphics. There's been a large unbalance between the two. I think the only games I've seen that has good modes & good graphics was Halo 4, DOA4&5, Or in Skyrims case, good missions + badass graphics of enviornment (Basicly, games that don't have modes, instead they might have good quests & mysterious).

The 3 things that matter to me in a video game: Graphics, Modes, & Gameplay. Story, I don't care too much about it. Which is why I'm not making such a huge fuss about SCV Patroklos story.

I'd chalk it up to Toriyama being a bad writer.

I actually love graphics so much. Graphics I think help brings the best out of games. However, you guys are right, modes were better then they were in the past, despite graphics. It's almost like they've both switched. Instead of giving the power to the modes, it was given to graphics. I'm not trying to say anything here, I'm just saying what something feels like is all.
Graphics are attention catchers, becomes ease to sell when the product is pretty, besides the buyer can use the excuse "But it looks amazing" if the product is bad.

Graphics are attention catchers, becomes ease to sell when the product is pretty, besides the buyer can use the excuse "But it looks amazing" if the product is bad.
I know what you mean, & I hate that. I bought X-Blades because of that, I kinda fucked up their, but then again the product wasn't all that bad. I mean if you challenged yourself to do things the game can be addicting & fun, while you somehow lost the feeling of the game being bad. You'll all of a sudden feel like its gone & your just having fun doing what your doing. That's IF you can think of something to make it better.

Back on topic, I think It's pretty safe to say that at least some genres are going downhill. Others seem to be improving.

Overall, I guess it just depends on what type of games you like.

Sucks what they did to FF though. The only one I ever played was Final Fantasy tactics for the ps1, a game which I loved to pieces because of all the micromanagement involved. The sheer amount of character customization options was mind boggling.

Question: Why don't they make a modern version of this game? Was I the only one that loved the 3d and positional tactics?

Question: Why don't they make a modern version of this game? Was I the only one that loved the 3d and positional tactics?
They kind of did with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, though I know some people love it and some people hate it. It's also on handheld, which is where all the good RPGs go apparently.

Almost all the good RPGs went to handhelds yeah.

Never played FFT but I hated FFTA. I was playing my brother's copy and I didn't even give it 2 hours XD

I'll probably get around to it eventually. I'm only now playing Tactics Ogre (PSP) and until then I had only played Knights of the Lodis for GBA for that series. Despite liking SRPGs I somehow managed to avoid the 2 most famous ones for years and years.

Well if FFTA sucks anyway then thats good because I don't have to buy another console. Still got my ps2 that plays ps1 games. I think I'm gonna pop FFT in for old times sake..Nostalgia is calling me

Now lets see if it's as fun as I remember it.

Well if FFTA sucks anyway then thats good because I don't have to buy another console. Still got my ps2 that plays ps1 games. I think I'm gonna pop FFT in for old times sake..Nostalgia is calling me

Now lets see if it's as fun as I remember it.

I always kinda thought everyone had a gameboy advance lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back