Ivy Match-ups and Anti-Character strategies

So WP 6B+K2_8 should be used at mid range only against him? And what's the best time to use it? I always thought WP 6B+K is very risky vs Asta. I've had numerous times when Asta was at far range constantly stepping/8WRunning, probably waiting for WP 6B+K, which is linear. If he manages to avoid 6B+K, he can easily hit Ivy before 2_8. And I don't think it's possible to hit confirm 6B+K->2_8 =(

? Not mid range only.
Did I say something wrong ?

No, can't hit confirm.
How can Asta step 6B+K and then hit you before 2_8 ? It never happens to me...
At least with 22B[4].

Sometimes at a particular range (between close-mid range), 2_8 will whiff.... there is just no explanation to this.
Don't use it at this range.

Well, WP 6B+K2_8 works like that. 6B+K is linear (slight tracking to Ivy's right) but then you have to choose 2 or 8. If you make wrong choice (when your opponent steps in the opposite way) he will have a little more time before 2_8 hits him. But it's like we previously disscussed, he can't confirm that visually. My point is just that WP 6B+K2_8 doesn't always prevent him from stepping and whiff punishing you. His 22_88B has crazy range and even at tip range of WP 6B+K it should hit you and he doesn't have to use 22B4, normal 22B is enough as it hits you on CH (between 6B+K and 2_8) for 70dmg.

At least, I was getting hit often during my 6B+K2_8. Maybe it was my fault, I will see soon in real life how you deal with Asta and I will steal some tricks =P

I get owned by Maxi. Even some of the online ones. I don't know what he is doing and what my options are. All I know is to duck his 4BBK. Another problem I have is the stance he goes into after 3B, where he can do that sidestepping high. Krayzie likes to wait for my TC attack and he backsteps into that double kick. I don't even know the notation or how his stances work, as you can see. Apparently not all of his GBs give advantage either.

I'm gonna have to play against KrayzieCD soon in SoCal and at DEV so any advice is GREATLY appreciated! Any random facts would help me so much!

Oh for Christ's sake lol! I don't plan on using Maxi anyway so I'll answer this. 3B goes into RO stance where his best attacks are RO A (the sidestepping high you just mentioned) and RO K (the one that TJs into the double kick). I think the only reason why I was beating your TCing attack with RO K was because you were using something that was easily TJable like 2A or some short range attack that doesn't hit airborne opponents. I believe you can beat both RO A and RO K by doing Ivy 1K ( I think that's the TCing mid kick that Ivy has). I'm not sure how fast that kick is and if it'll beat RO B after blocked 3B though. RO B is a generally shitty move though and most Maxi's wont use it except to keep you honest after 3B. It will beat out all moves i16 and slower after 3B is blocked, but if you block RO B you are at +15. So the rule against 3B with Maxi is that if you have a move that TCs, covers right side, and is i15 or faster/evades ROB then 3B is officially owned. Example of such moves are Amy 3A and Xianghua 1B+K.

Also, the guard break that doesn't give advantage is the LI AA{B} guard break. Even still, you should never have to block that guard break, you should always GI it. Once you get used to seeing that slow ass move coming it's a cinch. And remember if he doesn't do the charged up guard break version, it's highly punishable....like -16/-17, something like that. The rest of his guard breaks give some pretty beefy advantage but remember, LO K guardbreak kick is duckable on reaction once you get used to it and you get a free back grab. RO A {K} guard crush gives great frames on block but once again it's so damn slow that you can see it coming from a mile away to GI it, like in my match vs bubbles at FSAK. LI {B} (the left side evading, TCing overhead mid) is probably his best guard crush because it gives advantage AND it's cancellable so you can't just GI, you have to guess whether he's gonna do it or cancel and react accordingly.

Any more questions?

Maxi is crap. I had the same problem a few years ago, I even had to ask Krayzie for help. If he troubles you then there is no other way than just a) play against him a lot, b) learn him yourself. You can get advices but they won't mean a lot if you don't know his moves and stances, he is a pretty complex character. If you learn that you will quickly realize how weak he is. I only played vs him online back then and wasn't sure what I'm doing wrong. I was eating his "frametraps" like 33bAA etc (sw 1k seems to take care of most his options here but not on lag) all the time, I couldn't Gi anything and eventually I started freezing a lot because I was afraid to move sometimes.

Offline you can GI a lot of his strings on reaction, duck things (like 66AA) and block his lows. He has a lot of lows but the most damaging ones are slow and easily reactable like 3A+K, FC 3A+B or 1A. All are i27-i30.He has aGI that you can re-GI. You can also backstep a lot in CL.

This is a similar situation to Ivy, if you don't know her she seems godly. Learn her and shes not so godly anymore.

LOL you told me to make a post like this!

Yeah I have some questions about certain mixups but I can't really describe which ones because I don't know the notation and my xbox broke. Signia will probably come over soon for some games and then I'll be able to see which ones they are.

Btw Ivy's TC kick is too slow I believe to own 3B. So I guess I'm gonna have to go into training mode sometime and see what my best risk/reward options are.

Maybe this will help you a bit. Ooosaka is a famous Maxi player. Looks like Japan has some decent Ivy players too (although a little bit too SW 3B+K happy in my opinion) lol @ 3:55-4:05, this is how my first online matches vs maxi looked like

Maybe this will help you a bit. Ooosaka is a famous Maxi player. Looks like Japan has some decent Ivy players too (although a little bit too SW 3B+K happy in my opinion) lol @ 3:55-4:05, this is how my first online matches vs maxi looked like

LOL thanks for this vid Ring, oosaka actually taught me a few things in here. Anyhow, I still noticed him getting away with a lot of stuff, I'm gonna blame the fact that it's online. For one 6A on block for Maxi does not give advantage, the Ivy player can do AA and interrupt everything Maxi can do including RO A. I guess Japan doesn't care about doing slow lows online either, cuz oosaka was using 1A, 3A+K, the 4[A+B] guardbreak and every thing lol. At one point he did Maxi 1A blocked into grab.....you gotta love online for shit like that haha. Still though, I love oosaka's genius and creativity with Maxi, it's just too bad the character sucks so much ass in SC4.

Reactions: HRD
Krayzie isnt even playing maxi....its me you gotta worry about....LOL

I look forward to shakin some hands and having a good time. ring is right tho unless you know maxi and his stance transitions, TELLING you will be pretty hard to understand. I suggest playing a shit load against someone...anyone. Ill even sparr with ya if you want. assuming your still on xbl or something. Best thing I can suggest is, to keep me away from you as much as possible, cause if I get in 3B/1B range, ima have a little fun with you.

Better yet....Ima get some offline casuals going at my house before the tourney. Ur more than welcome to come!!

Maybe my opinion doesnt matter to ya....just tryin to help!!

HRD

@2:28: what are his options after this mid? I noticed he backstepped while in stance. Does he have any fast interrupts?

Also lol @ how obsessed that Ivy player was with CS.

That's RO B, and Maxi's best options after that is blocked are RC K (TC highs slower than i12), WL (GI's high/mid verticals) and PSL2 (the back step). There are no fast interrupts from RC.

aK and RO KA give advantage on block. Maxi's fastest follow up is LO B which will trade with i13s.

I'm in training mode and Ivy 4K is whiffing against RO K. Apparently RO K has a minor sidestep built in. This sucks because that means he can shut down all her TC options except SW 66K with RO K.

Don't be too worried about that. There is nothing guaranteed after 3B, but everyone should have 2 options that deal with everything. Even if those options are less damaging than his it really isn't a terrible thing. It's his offensive after all, and if you guess half decently there shouldn't be anyway it will compare to yours.

Sry for the late reply. I don't connect too much on the forum and so can't read msg on my profile.
PM me, if you wanna be sure to have a quick reply.

My opinion is that Maxi is an easy match up for Ivy.
The way I usually play against him:

Your main objective is to keep him away, once there he'll not be able to come close without taking some damage or CF damage.
CL should be your main stance once he's close.

Mix between 9G~B and 214B to stop his pressure game, and mix between 1B B+K and 3A when at advantage.

If you can react to 66A, 4A+B and things like this, it's even better but you can win without that.
Once you started to counter him often with your moves, he'll be force to use his fast string.
Then, just block and put him away. Or back dash very often to avoit most of his fast move.

In case you wanna use SW, maxi can't really punish 2A+K.
3B is also a good way to deal important damage, cause you can hope to hit him in counter during his strings.
And you can probably try to hit him from time to time with 44A in counter hit for massive damage.

WP 3A forced him to use dash gard as his main way to approach, use it a lot. Then 44A+B or 6B+K as a mix up.

Also 9K, 9~GB and 4K works well.

The only thing you should fear are his throw which are good cause they deals good damage and he can start his pressure game.

Is there a vids of your matches ?

Sry for the late reply. I don't connect too much on the forum and so can't read msg on my profile.
PM me, if you wanna be sure to have a quick reply.

My opinion is that Maxi is an easy match up for Ivy.
The way I usually play against him:

Your main objective is to keep him away, once there he'll not be able to come close without taking some damage or CF damage.
CL should be your main stance once he's close.

Mix between 9G~B and 214B to stop his pressure game, and mix between 1B B+K and 3A when at advantage.

If you can react to 66A, 4A+B and things like this, it's even better but you can win without that.
Once you started to counter him often with your moves, he'll be force to use his fast string.
Then, just block and put him away. Or back dash very often to avoit most of his fast move.

In case you wanna use SW, maxi can't really punish 2A+K.
3B is also a good way to deal important damage, cause you can hope to hit him in counter during his strings.
And you can probably try to hit him from time to time with 44A in counter hit for massive damage.

WP 3A forced him to use dash gard as his main way to approach, use it a lot. Then 44A+B or 6B+K as a mix up.

Also 9K, 9~GB and 4K works well.

The only thing you should fear are his throw which are good cause they deals good damage and he can start his pressure game.

Is there a vids of your matches ?

no videos yet, just trying to get ready for a tournament next month

Hmm, maybe I should have posted my question here first. After a recent tournament, I need some help/tips on fighting Yoshi. I had a hard time dealing with dragon fly mixups, but there were many other things which I failed at defending. I got very good advice from Sora(thanks again), but I would like some more strategies on fighting him.

Back