Ivy matchups discussion and strategies

6B8K is actually one of the best punishers in the game being i12 for 40 DMG and +2 frame advantage. The only problem is that it's high and has limited range.

As for whiff punishers, I'm not sure... she does have some damaging options but they are very slow and situational like 3A+BB, or 44B+K, or even 1_2_3B+K... anything faster does almost no damage. I've been using mostly 22_88B/22_88B BE, that's only 30/60dmg but at least it's fast and safe (the latter one also gives me adv on block against people who don't know how to deal with it). 22(B) 5-hit JF does about 80dmg but it's risky as well, tho it's probably her best whiff punisher. Highs/throws you can punish hard for 70-90dmg with FC 1B but it only launches at close range.

I completely forgot about 1B BE, its i16 for 60+ dmg but it has minimal reach and cannot be done from FC unless you RCC but that makes it slower by at least 1 frame.

6B8K is actually one of the best punishers in the game being i12 for 40 DMG and +2 frame advantage. The only problem is that it's high and has limited range.

As for whiff punishers, I'm not sure... she does have some damaging options but they are very slow and situational like 3A+BB, or 44B+K, or even 1_2_3B+K... anything faster does almost no damage. I've been using mostly 22_88B/22_88B BE, that's only 30/60dmg but at least it's fast and safe (the latter one also gives me adv on block against people who don't know how to deal with it). 22(B) 5-hit JF does about 80dmg but it's risky as well, tho it's probably her best whiff punisher. Highs/throws you can punish hard for 70-90dmg with FC 1B but it only launches at close range.

I completely forgot about 1B BE, its i16 for 60+ dmg but it has minimal reach and cannot be done from FC unless you RCC but that makes it slower by at least 1 frame.

More on 22_88[ B ] into 5 hit -- I think this is going to be a core move in any Ivy's game. Mastering the JF, and more importantly, mastering to punish with it either from step or at range is key to getting her biggest damage. It's a lot easier to get the JF now, so there's really no excuse to not take that 75 damage option.

And even if you screw up the last hit, doing at least 4 hits out of the JF (assuming you hit the launcher) will net you more damage than the standard 3 hit version.

The lack of old 6K is really getting to me now. Ivy can't punish anything at range.

For example, against our beloved Natsu:

AAB - safe due to pushback, also you cannot GI/step the B hits which is retarded, she can spam AAB with no risk here.
66B - again, completely safe against Ivy. TC mid that does 50 dmg. In SC4 it was punishable with 6K.
66AB - same situation. The pushback makes it impossible to punish, and the B followup cannot be stepped or even GIed

This character is just plain retarded.

The lack of old 6K is really getting to me now. Ivy can't punish anything at range.

For example, against our beloved Natsu:

AAB - safe due to pushback, also you cannot GI/step the B hits which is retarded, she can spam AAB with no risk here.
66B - again, completely safe against Ivy. TC mid that does 50 dmg. In SC4 it was punishable with 6K.
66AB - same situation. The pushback makes it impossible to punish, and the B followup cannot be stepped or even GIed

This character is just plain retarded.
So you're not having fun at all?

been having fun vs natsu's 22K A. ivy's 4A+B will auto-gi it and she'll take landing damage and if she pulls the 4 into possession, it still hits her. was also GI-ing the 3rd hit of her WS AAA for a free lick too, but a whiffed GI off that (from her going into possession) hurts a lot. fun as hell the first few times though.

I think Natsu's 22KA is kinda worthless, 22_88K itself is ridiculous, it's safe and leads to 120+ dmg on CH. It kills step and TJ's, typical Natsu.

Don't know if this is a well known thing, but when I input 6698B instead of 88B Ivy will pull off a 88B while doing the run animation instead of sidestep. This constantly causes players to duck because they think a grab is coming, and I get up to 80 damage off it. 6698 and 4478 can be used instead of any of her 22_88 moves for a different movement animation. 6698K is especially good against players trying to get some distance.

If any of you are having trouble against nightmare...just 2A
good god, 2A stops many things nightmare has...destroys his grimstride option completely.

I'm having a bit of trouble against voldo, any tips?
It seems once he knocks me down with one of his many lows, I just eat ground wakeup and techtraps all day long.
>_>;;

So Raphael is actually giving me trouble... he is always back bending and my attacks are missing or I am misjudging him.

From what I've seen Raphael is a lot of Linear Highs, so 214B is golden vs him.
If you're not under pressure, you should be side walking to prevent a lot of his long range rush down.
Don't be afraid to duck, since a lot of his attacks are high. You can usually get FC,1B launch.

Not sure how to fight Sieg. Should I just be close to him and step to avoid his 3[ B ] game?

I love fighting sieg, his moves are all slow enough to JG pretty easily.
JG is pretty safe, too. so it's ok if you guess wrong, just guard the next pattern.

Honestly, fighting him is all about muscle memory.

Ring, since you just beat viola in a tourney, you got any tips for us against her?
That bitch is annoying as hell.
:D
She is. I actually knew nothing about the character. I had no idea when can I attack, step and interrupt. So I abused 214B. People were telling me Viola is bad at punishing and she's quite linear. Some of her moves have different properties depending if she holds orb or not,like 8A+B- it she has the orb, this move is very unsafe but cannot be stepped, if she has no orb it's almost safe on block but you can step. I'm sure there's more annoying stuff like that that I will gladly break down for everyone here in the SA once I take het to training mode.
Not sure how to fight Sieg. Should I just be close to him and step to avoid his 3[ B ] game?
Try 3B after his 3(B) shenanigans and you should be surprised.

thanks ring.
That would be quite helpful.

So far my list of counters for her crap are:

BBB recall orb can be 4K techcrouched

44AAB can be crouched and countered with FC1{B}B, 6B8

8A+B is incredibly obnoxious, unless you just guard or step, she's actually safe.

I think she's vulnerable to sidesteps and techcrouches.
I'm trying to work in Ivy's 8A+B,B in somehow...it looks like it can punish her on paper....

also, all of viola's ballmoves are high, special mids or special lows according to the strategy guide.

Back