Ivy matchups discussion and strategies

You're spreading alot of misinformation. 66A6 GS cancel is just as safe as 33B. 66K6 GS cancel doesn't make it safe to generic 2As
If you do it perfectly it's safe to 2As.

Sorry I'm an idiot I can't read. I meant 33B6 B+K ~ G is safe to 2As.

Last edited:
You're spreading alot of misinformation. 66A6 GS cancel is just as safe as 33B. 66K6 GS cancel doesn't make it safe to generic 2As but it does make it recover fast enough to block some slower universal answers like Patroklos' 236AB.

Also you stated earlier that 6B8 punished NM's 6B. No, that move is only -10 on block and where is 44[B ]? You explicitly criticize KiniticClash's old list yet yours is sloppy imo. But don't mind me, I'm just a NM player who happened to wander in.

i'm just not considering 66a6 because number 1, 66A is easily duckable on reaction, and number 2, there is no real option to stop 66a6 once blocked. you're basically stuck with either backstepping or doing a low risk option like 2A (which can get blocked by the GS cancel or normal blocked if there's no GS transition, though it does beat all other GS options). and 2A is really only a last resort if you block 66A at point blank, but even backstep at that range is safe to all GS options. as for other common options: 214B loses to GS A, 3B trades with GS A but you don't get a followup 6b8, and 4K beats GS A and B, but trades with K.

all in all, it's just not worth the risk. 66A is only -2 anyways, and NM can backstep 3B all of those options if he doesnt cancel into GS. GS B+K~G glitch is available, but you're retarded to have blocked 66A in the first place and even more retarded if you commit to something big there.

i guess i do need to test 44(B). i'll edit that in later when i get done with it.

raw 6B is -12 on block. wiki frame data is wrong (what else is new). test it yourself if you don't believe me.

If you do it perfectly it's safe to 2As.

i demand video proof of this first. none of the other nm players i've talked to claim this is possible.

Actually Ivy's 3B and 214B are relative safe and quick moves that can save you from MANY things. Most of all, 214B because besides Ivy moves to the side, the crouches, avoiden vertical and high horizontal attacks. The problem is if the opponent moves back, it leaves you in negative frames.
And since 3B is quick, not always is a punishable move if blocked or avoided. IMO.

Anyone has any general tips how to deal with Mitsurugi ? I'm struggling with this matchup since I don't have any more usefull ideas what to do to hurt him much. I feel like he has an answer for everything Ivy can really do...

Depends what in particular you're struggling with. Having a good spacing game is pretty important so he doesn't rush you down too easily.

One thing worth noting is that his punishment starts at i13 and FC 1B is only -12. Just be really lame and do a lot of mixups between grabs/CE and iFC 1B. It's a pretty ridiculous mixup as FC 1B > G > 1B BE > 1B BE > 6b8 is 101 dmg iirc and CE is 100 dmg.

He also doesn't have many TCs, so you can get away with a lot more 66A, 4A, 6A, 22A, grabs, etc than you would against a Greek.

To be more specific I keep struggling in close distance, keep getting spammed with 2A, 6A, B6 mixed with 2K BE and 6B2, can only punish when I guess 2K BE which is not that easy. I try to spam with 3B, 1A, 66A and maybe some 214B, last one is maybe not the best option since it's punishable but don't have any other good ideas. I keep forgetting about FC 1B tho, have to use this more often, thanks. Besides 6[A] and 3[A], my favourite tools of her, just goes through him in close range without making any damage even if he's stepping in this moment but I guess it's another hitbox issue they didn't fix in any patch... or my game is broken.

Yeah 6[A] and 3[A] have whiffing issues on Mitsu, but you shouldn't be using those at close range. Panic 3B is iffy against Mitsu cuz many of his verts have enough tracking to stuff it out. You really have to play the mixup game against Mitsu and know how to punish his mixups. His 2K BE should be JG punished with iFC 1(B) and 3B should be punished with 1B BE. Don't get too caught up in waiting for his 50/50 to come out, or he will chip your health away with pokes. Keep trying to regain control over the pressure and read when the 50/50 might be coming. Ivy's pokes are not as versatile as Mitsu's so play around with the range. Force him to whiff when you can, and get a knockdown out of it. Ivy's 50/50s can be just as strong.

Last edited:
Bunch of good advices, I tried them out yesterday a little and it looks really good, hope it works longer than one hype playing evening :P Thanks.

Back