Ivy Online/Lag Tactics

Pure_Vanity

[08] Mercenary
Do You Thing Ivy Is Cheap

I felt like winning a couple quick matches on the psn so i decide to play a few ranked matches. I found myself fighting the typical common kilik noob but instead of fighting he ran away after hitting me once. I had ivy but i wasn't playing seriously and ended up losing. I was quite pissed at this point so i quick searched picked a cage match and owned him something fierce. Moments later he claimed that ivy was a cheap char with moves that chain together easily

Weather are not you read all of that my main point is that ivy takes a lot of time, dedication, and skill to use properly. As such i see her as one of the most difficult chars to use(not to mention her moves change every game :7). I have never met an ivy spammer because you cant really do that with her unlike other chars....HOW IS SHE CHEAP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

She's not cheap. She's not even top tier! That guy was just crying over his loss

Ivy is both cheap and not cheap at the same time. First she is cheap because she three avaliable weapons and she is combo fiend. Shes not top-tier

Ivy is both cheap and not cheap at the same time. First she is cheap because she three avaliable weapons and she is combo fiend

No. Just no.

She has three styles, and is required to use all three to make up a competent moveset. Three different styles to make up a character does not mean she has 3x the amount of "good" moves compared to the rest of the cast, and it can be limiting considering you can only access those moves whilst in that specific style.

OP - short version is, don't listen to anything you hear online. If someone can complain to make their inadequacies seems lesser, they will.

Long version - no, and no. While she has a very solid pressure game, it lies predominately within one style, SW. CL is decent, but lacks anything definitive beyond 214B, which is extremely punishable in its own right. Her frame data is atrocious, and her throws are style specific, meaning your opponent will know which throw to break, providing they're paying attention.

This isn't to say Ivy isn't an extremely competent character, but she can in no way be branded "cheap".

Define "cheap".

Anything that makes you lose that you're not mentally willing to dissect and practice against.

Then no. It's easy to figure out what she can and can't do out of all her stances, so she's easily counterable that way.

With that said, good Ivy players master each stance. Great Ivy players master the stance transition and how to get into the stance that gives the greatest advantage for them at any time.

Oh and also, I think that with the new discovery as of late about Ivy (more specifically, her ability to slide input a stance change during G), CL is becoming better and better in my eyes as a stance. I don't mind being stuck in CL now since it's definitely the utility stance: where you can go either way in terms of range/mixups.

well.. there is one spammable move online. Its that one where she wraps herself in her coil. Then you just choose how u want to get out of the state...rinse and repeat. But while she might be different to face than a lot of characters... in no way is she "cheap" any more than anyone else.

well.. there is one spammable move online. Its that one where she wraps herself in her coil. Then you just choose how u want to get out of the state...rinse and repeat. But while she might be different to face than a lot of characters... in no way is she "cheap" any more than anyone else.

CL 214, though it forces FC, is something like -26+ on block. Almost every character has very solid punishing options after it is blocked.

If you freeze after blocking it, you're putting yourself at a serious disadvantage.

i enjoy fighting ivy but a good ivy feels cheap, its not cos she is its cos a lot of her combos are so voilent and do a good block of damage normally off a stun, add to the fact that 90% of players online dont shake or AC anything and you will get them saying she is cheap.

i know shes not and shes hard to use properly but you still somtimes think wow that felt cheap, even though its not.

No way she's cheap. Chicks like that cost a lot.

i read that as cheeks i was thinking bum implants or cheek bone mods then re-read and lol just thought i would share in my retardation

CL 214, though it forces FC, is something like -26+ on block. Almost every character has very solid punishing options after it is blocked.

If you freeze after blocking it, you're putting yourself at a serious disadvantage.

First, doesn't it have pushback? And I have issues with it online when playing as yoshi, even though fc 3k takes care of it fine offline. But like I said. She isn't unfair at all. I just have problems with that one move.

agreed. it combos and starts combos, force crouches, hits grounded, very nice range, side steps so much that even even some horizontals miss,and the BBB ending tracks so every move cant be side stepped. the other thing i dont really like is the range on some of her moves. SE B+K(i think) has fucking outrageous range and is pretty much a shield since you it stays there and hits you if you run into it. where the fuck does she keep enough wire to make it stretch 70 feet.

agreed. it combos and starts combos, force crouches, hits grounded, very nice range, side steps so much that even even some horizontals miss,and the BBB ending tracks so every move cant be side stepped. the other thing i dont really like is the range on some of her moves. SE B+K(i think) has fucking outrageous range and is pretty much a shield since you it stays there and hits you if you run into it. where the fuck does she keep enough wire to make it stretch 70 feet.

Doesn't start combos (nothing out of 214B is guaranteed even if 214B hits) and hits grounded for like... 7.

First, doesn't it have pushback? And I have issues with it online when playing as yoshi, even though fc 3k takes care of it fine offline. But like I said. She isn't unfair at all. I just have problems with that one move.

Yes, it has pushback, but no, FC3K doesn't take care of it at every range. If 214 is done at tip range, or close to tip range, then certain characters may not be able to punish, Yoshi's FC3K included.

Not disagreeing with you on fair/unfair, just pointing it out.

Ivy is #1 in my Book.

How can anyone put her low? She has ZERO bad matchups.

She has plenty of bad matchups. The only "top" thing about Ivy now is her SG damage.

Anyone want to share some anti-Ivy strats? (I tend to use Taki)

Edit: never mind... found the thread. Thanks!

I use to find Ivy cheap because of her long stun combos.

But now I find her easy after going through her move list. Ivy is only tough because she has such a HUGE variety of moves to use and its kinda hard to memorise. But when I use Voldo most Ivys bite the dust.

Back