Just Guard Tutorial By Aris

Aris, with the help of Insomnotek, Binkley, and Commando have created a tutorial video on how to execute Just Guard in SOULCALIBUR V and the ways that it can be implemented within a match. If you have yet to try just guard, you should check out this video, as well as his previous video on fuzzy guard.

Also, if you are in the SoCal area, on Tuesday, January 31, make sure to stop by Super Arcade for their launch party & side tournament that they will be holding for SOULCALIBUR V, or watch it online starting around 8PM EST/5PM PST.

Article
YouTube
Twitter
Tournament Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that if you succeed at a JG, then attack, the other person can attempt to JG you, resulting in lots of traded blue flashes. Otherwise I will miss GI's even more lol.

I hope that if you succeed at a JG, then attack, the other person can attempt to JG you, resulting in lots of traded blue flashes. Otherwise I will miss GI's even more lol.
Sorry not possible. It would make JG kind of useless because you only have a small window to retaliate after performing JG, so if all the other guy had to do was tap G, he'd easily be able to defend himself every time someone JG'd, making the risk of attempting it pointless.

Sorry not possible. It would make JG kind of useless because you only have a small window to retaliate after performing JG, so if all the other guy had to do was tap G, he'd easily be able to defend himself every time someone JG'd, making the risk of attempting it pointless.
Guess I'm just going to be missing being able to GI at will then.

I made a tread for this video already, but good stuff, only a few more hours to video gaming glory

Edi: i wonder if this will make this game a turtle fest, if yes then we have ourselves another sc4 guys
edit: so sad my local best buy is not doing a midnight release -_-
SC4 was nothing like a turtle fest compared to SC2. This game shouldn't be a problem on that. The good thing about this game is, step G has been nerfed. If you step, you pretty much commit. So the turtle effect won't be as bad as you may think.

What I can see happening is instead of strings, I see more throws being used.

I really hope you can't break throws 100% on reaction in this.

SC4 was nothing like a turtle fest compared to SC2. This game shouldn't be a problem on that. The good thing about this game is, step G has been nerfed. If you step, you pretty much commit. So the turtle effect won't be as bad as you may think.
Turtling is great.

Sorry not possible. It would make JG kind of useless because you only have a small window to retaliate after performing JG, so if all the other guy had to do was tap G, he'd easily be able to defend himself every time someone JG'd, making the risk of attempting it pointless.[/quot
Turtling is yawn
If it infuriates the stream monsters who dont matter in the first place, all the better. Sides, its the extreme of defensive play, much like pitbulling is the extreme of aggressive play. Part of what makes fighting games truly interesting at high level, watching various playstyles to see which is the more dominate in the meta game. Nothing wrong with being a turtle at all. Nothing wrong with being really aggressive.

No its yawn. Learn your TC, TS and TJ moves and keep on the pressure through anticipating your opponents moves.

Why? Because I can? If I can beat my opponent only using 4-7 moves, then too bad for my opp. He needs to learn how to approach and pressure me properly. Some people dont like to hit buttons all the time. Being aggro may work for you, but what about people who dont like to play aggro, but rather utilize spacing, good defense? Turtling/being defensive is bad because its boring?? Lol, that's ignorance.

Sides, I find it funny you hate being defensive for purely stupid and scrubby reasons, yet your avatar is a character who is known for his defensive style.

Well we will see how your style fairs in SCV lol. I also never said defense is useless. You are taking it to the extreme.

No, you are hating it purely because its boring. Thats not a valid excuse. Turtling is just an extreme form of defensive play. Its a trade off of mixups/pressure for safety and space control. I love watching a good turtle vs a good pitbull. You get treated to the best of both worlds. The turtler is forced to maintain immaculate spacing, movement, and utilize his knowledge of his ranges...whilst the pitbull has to utilize proper approaching, and employ mixups to open the turtle up, and get in. How can anyone not like that? The turtle keeps his opp out, then the pit has to be more flexible in his approach. If he gets in however, then the turtle has to employ a knowledge of his character's upclose game, and have good patience and nerves to find a route out of the mixup/pressure.

Sides, im a Pat player, so im pretty aggro.(though I was a notorious turtle with kilik in sc2, and mina in sc3)

Sides, I find it funny you hate being defensive for purely stupid and scrubby reasons, yet your avatar is a character who is known for his defensive style.
yeah but his retaliation move is 60-58 more moves than what you say you do. 64 palms don't seem like a turtle move. but i get what you mean. but turtling won't work for the long run so you have to look for a quick opportunity to strike. the only thing that annoys me about some turtlers are the guys that hit you, knock you down, and instantly back up and stay there. they want you to come to them. i'm old fashioned and I like meeting people half way in battle. not chasing them down. and then they got the nerve to get mad if you do the same thing and time runs out because their health is lower.

It is boring and you will be get guard bursted especially with the insane run forward in SCV so like I said before good luck with that.

Also lol at Neji being a turtle character. He only has offensive like everyone else in team guy. Even rotation can be used as an offensive move. Either way I'm not getting into this.

But that's a retaliation move, that revolves around "field of divination"...pretty spacing reliant if you ask me. Other than that, he is super defensive, and isnt his fighting styles based ENTIRELY on using as little as possible to defeat your opponent?

The guys who do that, but get mad when you out turtle them, arent good turtlers, and deserved to lose. But as an aggressive player this time around...I enjoy opening up turtlers and forcing them to play upclose. Opening up turtlers and exposing their lack of actual proper spacing, movement, etc should be the aim of every aggressive player.

It is boring and you will be get guard bursted especially with the insane run forward in SCV so like I said before good luck with that.

Also lol at Neji being a turtle character. He only has offensive like everyone else in team guy. Even rotation can be used as an offensive move. Either way I'm not getting into this.

<----Patroklos player, So no turtling for me this time 'round. Sides, you started it with " Turtling is yawn." Reading comprehension, folks.

The guys who do that, but get mad when you out turtle them, arent good turtlers, and deserved to lose. But as an aggressive player this time around...I enjoy opening up turtlers and forcing them to play upclose. Opening up turtlers and exposing their lack of actual proper spacing, movement, etc should be the aim of every aggressive player.
you miss what I say. it's not out turtling them. it's getting in a hit and then completely backing off and forcing them to fight you. it's the best way to force a turtler to play aggressive or else they lose to time out. it's not about turtling but rater about mind games.

and doesn't Neji have to get close to do all his moves except that rotation move. last time I checked hitting people's weakpoints and pressure points is an offensive skill. just saying.

He can't comprehend that though lol. Turtling is yawn. Proper spacing and whiff punishing is pro.

That's turtling my friend. Though im curious as to what matchups in this game force you to straight up do that. We have an asta player here, and I have to be a bit cautious with Pat...until I land that 66B/66A. Then im getting in that ass lol.

Neji's style is defense based, but has great offensive capabilities. If my Neji references were to be taken in the opinion of a turtling example, then I apologize for the missunderstanding.

Even still, turtling is great, but yawn. Aggro is great, but Derp. As someone who is comfortable playing both styles, I can enjoy and respect both mindests of play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back