Just Guard Tutorial By Aris

Aris, with the help of Insomnotek, Binkley, and Commando have created a tutorial video on how to execute Just Guard in SOULCALIBUR V and the ways that it can be implemented within a match. If you have yet to try just guard, you should check out this video, as well as his previous video on fuzzy guard.

Also, if you are in the SoCal area, on Tuesday, January 31, make sure to stop by Super Arcade for their launch party & side tournament that they will be holding for SOULCALIBUR V, or watch it online starting around 8PM EST/5PM PST.

Article
YouTube
Twitter
Tournament Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody go over to HH Holme's house to play btw. Especially if he lets you stay over. Just a friendly warning.

LOL. Finally someone recognizes my avatar.

Reave: Actually I do comprehend it. What I cant comprehend, however, is this mentality that defensive players get flak for. I just dont understand the general disdain for it. And also, you should come over and play. Got a nice room for you as well, should you find yourself weary and in need of rest.

I don't have a problem with people staying at the max range for my moves to whiff. That takes skill in positioning. Backing up and waiting then backing up more when I try to engage you to bait a whiff is cowardly as far as I'm concerned. It's the main reason I hate Ivy because she is designed to do just that if you want her too.

Since when is 128 strikes defensive or compressed chakra fired at you or spinning through the air firing chakra out your chakra points. I have seen all Neji fights I know how he applies his techniques. When he says your within range it means your in range to get fucked up because you didnt space properly.

I don't have a problem with people staying at the max range for my moves to whiff. That takes skill in positioning. Backing up and waiting then backing up more when I try to engage you to bait a whiff is cowardly as far as I'm concerned. It's the main reason I hate Ivy because she is designed to do just that if you want her too.

Since when is 128 strikes defensive or compressed chakra fired at you or spinning through the air firing chakra out your chakra points. I have seen all Neji fights I know how he applies his techniques. When he says your within range it means your in range to get fucked up because you didnt space properly.

Thats turtling my friend. The backdashing, then doing it again to force a whiff is another facet of spacing, whether you think its honorable or not. Im a competitive player, so unless you are abusing a meta-game altering glitch, a win is a win, and as such warrants my respect regardless. Proper turtling takes skill, as does proper rushdown.You gotta know your frames, ranges, etc. One just uses that knowledge to keep away, the other to press the advantage. Though we do agree: Turtling will get you blown up in this game.

As far as Neji is concerned, I still see a very flexible style. Rotation can be defensively applied, and 128 is a result of opponent messing up their spacing, not because he necessarily rushed them down. Im just saying his style can be applied both ways. In any case, he's not even a good character. Jiraiya is the man. Change your av to him please.

Sounds like you just dont want to adapt?

Sounds like you just dont want to adapt?
I don't recall saying I get wrecked. I said its Yawn. Looks like you can't read.

As far as Neji is concerned, I still see a very flexible style. Rotation can be defensively applied, and 128 is a result of opponent messing up their spacing, not because he necessarily rushed them down. Im just saying his style can be applied both ways. In any case, he's not even a good character. Jiraiya is the man. Change your av to him please.
You apparently have never seen a Neji fight a day in your life. The gentile fist is a style for killing not waiting and seeing. That defeats the purpose of his eye technique. Jiraya couldn't master Sage mode therefore he sucks and I'm glad he died.

I don't recall saying I get wrecked. I said its Yawn. Looks like you can't read.

You apparently have never seen a Neji fight a day in your life. The gentile fist is a style for killing not waiting and seeing. That defeats the purpose of his eye technique. Jiraya couldn't master Sage mode therefore he sucks and I'm glad he died.
lol Did not say anything about you getting wrecked, but at the same time that was poorly worded.

lol Did not say anything about you getting wrecked, but at the same time that was poorly worded.
Saying one can't adapt means you lose. Obviously you can't understand that Yawn=Boring. Which is what I said earlier. Follow the posts if you are going to quote someone.

Jiraiya(learn to spell) > Neji(one dimensional character design) for free.

Do you plan on attending Final Round this year?

Saying one can't adapt means you lose. Obviously you can't understand that Yawn=Boring. Which is what I said earlier. Follow the posts if you are going to quote someone.
You assumed and you are forgiven friend.

all I got to say is that Rock Lee owns all. Jiraiya was too much eck and perverted for my taste. Neji was cool. Tsunade was badass and so was Sakura when she learned how to beat the s*^t out of people. not a huge Naruto fan. I only play the games.

when is Final Round and where is it?

Mods: can you delete all this crap please? This is a news announcement about JG video by Aris. And guys, take it to PMs, no-one wants to read this shit

Mods: can you delete all this crap please? This is a news announcement about JG video by Aris. And guys, take it to PMs, no-one wants to read this shit

You are right. This was pointless, and I apologize to the other posters...but on topic(finally):

This seems like a very fair and balanced system imo. It gives defensive players an option, despite how aggro this game is. My only question is how will you be able to bait it/mix an opponent up. I do find that JGing will be essential in high level play(I started JGing Asta's 4K shenanigans to avoid that throw nonsense, helped heaps lol)

Anyone else have any input on my question? Im sure someone has been tinkering with how to fight JGing to some extent.

That's great!!
Thanks for the video!!
It looks like JG will implement intense battles for us pros. The only sucky thing is that I really enjoyed throwing some one off balance so that they stumbled into my grab/throw. That hasn't been possible since SC3. Can the new GI be executed with a backwards command, like 4G used to be?

I still cannot do this consistently for the life of me.
It seems the frames are really strict.
Mashing G does not work.
G~G doesn't work for me either.
It must be a timing issue but I couldn't JG both Leixia and Pyrrha in training mode Check Skill Attack& Guard option.

I hope new info arises on this.

I appreciate the vid, but a couple weeks into this game, and I'm still not seeing how one can say JG is relatively easy. I can do the G~[G] trick to get a single just guard, but I'm completely unable to JG multiple hits.

Any tips from anybody? Or is it just super-precise timing?

I'm not seeing it as helpful either. There are times when I can do it, but that is 1/30, and in some cases, it just comes out at random.

Xbox 360 controller is really not my friend with it comes to tapping attack/guard buttons. *sighs*

It obviously is a timing issue for me, or Microsoft needs to decrease the depth of the attack buttons a little bit.

I'm not seeing it as helpful either. There are times when I can do it, but that is 1/30, and in some cases, it just comes out at random.

Xbox 360 controller is really not my friend with it comes to tapping attack/guard buttons. *sighs*

It obviously is a timing issue for me, or Microsoft needs to decrease the depth of the attack buttons a little bit.

Xbox controllers are the best for JG just put it on a Trigger and look at it go

Live streams

69 Viewers
Bigpapachunk
Bigpapachunk
Wednesday Night Fights 2024 Ep.17 - guess who is streaming rn, and not going to Japan this weekend :')

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back