LCD or CRT?

franman

[13] Hero
LCD or CRT monitors?

Which type of monitor would you prefer for Soul Calibur and other 3D fighters?

B4 you answer, there's a catch to this question.

LCD's may have better quality pictures; however, unlike CRT's, they have input lag. The amount of lag varies depending on specific LCD models. CRT's don't have input lag.

So it's a question of asking whether you prefer high-quality pictures with minor slow downs or an okay-looking picture with no lag.

LCD or CRT monitors?

LCD's may have better quality pictures

Umm... No... CRTs have always, and probably will continue to have better quality picture than LCDs for the next decade. CRTs have better contrast ratios, better white balance, better black balance and better color management. In almost every retrospect, CRTs are better than LCDs...

So whats the problem? Right now, the only 1080p High Definition Widescreen CRT television I can find is 32 inches; and then its about 3 feet thick. Meanwhile, I see 1080p High Definition Widescreen LCDs at 60 inches in stores; and I stood next to a 108 inch model at CES 2007.

The problem with CRTs are the footprint: size and weight. In order to get a High Definition Widescreen CRT television at around 60 inches, you would probably need about 5 feet of space and it would probably weigh close to a metric ton. Its not feasible in any sense.

I myself still use a NEC Diamondtron CRT for my computer monitor (which was $600 two years ago, and is still considered one the best CRT computer monitor you can buy). However, I am finally going to take the plunge and get an LCD monitor, and sell my CRT. I've done the research, I've looked around and I have seen with my own eyes that the best LCD monitor I can buy, barely looks as good as a CRT monitor I bought 10 years ago.

howcome nobody talks about plasma? As far as i know they are "the best of both worlds"(cry for power consumption though) and you can get 50" plasmas for about the same prices or less than a 50" LCD.

Maybe im the only guy crazyenough to use an HDTV as a monitor. . .

CRT's Future is pretty grim, More advancement in LCD tech and new types of DLP make them even less likely to continue being made a few companies have droped their CRT lines.

I use a 46" LCD TV as my monitor, and I love it. I honestly need to do a test to see exactly how much lag it has though. If anyone happens to know, it's the Sony XBR 4, I am not sure exactly what I need to test this myself.

All and all it is EXACTLY like Jaxel said though: CRT is a great quality Technology, but people would like to actually walk into the room with it, not create a room for it.

Plasma... has burn in issues, and they ARE bad for any person who uses one for long stretches of time. (Unless you are a fanatic about turning it off while your not looking at it.) They also weigh a ton compared to LCD.... (This is from experience)

CRT and Plasma have issues with Burn in. Burn in doesnt happen from not turning it off its when the same image is displayed in the same exact place for a very long time, this is the reason DVD players and computers and even new consoles have screen savers.

Even if you turn your screen off whenever you arent looking at it you can still get burn in, if you watch a TV station that allways has a logo on screen in the same place after a long enough time that logo can be burned in. But again burn in is not really an issue anymore, well not enough of a reason to avoid buying a plasma unless you are really careless the screen could go its whole life and not have any problems.

Your Sony has an 8ms delay.

I simply didn't elaborate enough on what I said pertaining to Burn in. Since just about ALL TV Networks have some sort of Logo they plaster to one space on their signal, any Plasma is highly vulnerable to having the logo burnt in. What I said was not wrong, just vague. Burn in DOES happen from not turning the TV off, I just never stated anything else; Static Images. The newest Plasma technology is said to be FAR better at preventing it. I can vouch for my Sony having been ON for 5 months strait with my Vista Start bar at the bottom, and it has NOT shown any residual signs of a burn in. If this is how the newer Plasmas are acting (as I have only repaired one, I don't own one) with Burn in, then I must say i am impressed. The last problem I can find with them is they just are not bright enough for my taste, of course this is entirely subjective.

Thanks for letting me know. Where did you find that info out? I searched around but couldn't ifnd that spec of info ANYWHERE...

I see, I had thought burn in was only caused by displaying an image.

Its impossible for an LCD to burn in, Which is why your screen wont show any signs of it. I had to correct myself because i initialy thought they did, but thinking about my PC monitor which is on 24/7 and dissabled screensaver and powersave withh no problems i had to do alittle research.

No problem, I found the info in a review. Its pretty safe to assume that any highend LCD screen would be under 8ms especially if it was made in the last 2 years.

Burn in for CRTs is a cured problem... its not a problem anymore. If it was, Flying Toasters would still be in business.

Burn in for CRTs is a cured problem... its not a problem anymore. If it was, Flying Toasters would still be in business.
You mean "It is very unlikely that you will experience burn in on your new CRT or Plasma screen".

But really it doesnt matter, unless you plan to leave your monitor/tv on 24/7 displaying something like PC post screen, you probably wont ever experience burn in.

Thanx for correcting me on that one Jaxel. Forgive me, I'm no technical guru.

The question I've asked on my first post is more for personal preference.

Here's another question regarding to offline tournies:

What about if you were to host offline tournies? If online wouldn't be considered highly competitive cuz of latency then wouldn't it be best to let players play on CRT's despite the fact that these beasts take up space?

If you want to put it that way, then Yes, get a large High Def CRT, and you have the makings of a perfect Tournament platform.

Thanx for correcting me on that one Jaxel. Forgive me, I'm no technical guru.

The question I've asked on my first post is more for personal preference.

Here's another question regarding to offline tournies:

What about if you were to host offline tournies? If online wouldn't be considered highly competitive cuz of latency then wouldn't it be best to let players play on CRT's despite the fact that these beasts take up space?
I suppose CRT would be ideal, but im not aware of any delay with plasma and newer LCD's have 2-3ms delay which should(i dont know but maybe someoen else does) be ok for fighters. I dont know anything about older DLP screens or the new Laser DLP's coming out so more research would be needed on those.

If you plan to host tournies in your home go with a good Plasma IMO, But if space is not an issue HD CRT could work too. I dont know much about HDCRT's but if they are 720P, 768P or 1080i/P its worth it but if they are like the 42" Plasmas and only 1024x768 i would stay away from them. Thats just my personal opinion though, I only like square pixels.

With most HDTVs, as long as you disable any post-processing and upscaling, you shouldn't have much lag. Many TVs have "game mode" options to disable most post-processing. However, your best bet to avoid upscaling lag is to use HDMI as much as possible.

I use a 19" LCD TV for my tiny bedroom I play in. I don't really notice input lag when playing on 360. It has a 5ms response time which is supposed to be good. I remember hearing that anything at about 85 ms or so response time is good for fighters. I also use HDMI which helps it seems.

Also not to brag not SCIV looks great at 1080i :)

You mean "It is very unlikely that you will experience burn in on your new CRT or Plasma screen".

But really it doesnt matter, unless you plan to leave your monitor/tv on 24/7 displaying something like PC post screen, you probably wont ever experience burn in.

Or, for example, playing SC4 and having your life bars burnt in to your screen.

I use a 19" LCD TV for my tiny bedroom I play in. I don't really notice input lag when playing on 360. It has a 5ms response time which is supposed to be good. I remember hearing that anything at about 85 ms or so response time is good for fighters. I also use HDMI which helps it seems.

Also not to brag not SCIV looks great at 1080i :)

Response time is not the same thing as Input lag time... Response time is basically, how long it takes a lcd crystal to go from white, to black and back to white again. LCDs with bad response times end up having a weird effect called "ghosting"... where you see image trails because the LCD isnt refreshing fast enough to keep up.

Absolutely nothing to do with input lag.

Or, for example, playing SC4 and having your life bars burnt in to your screen.
It wont happen, unless you sit there and play SC4 match 24/7. Well im wrong it could happen but its going to take a long time.

Response time is not the same thing as Input lag time... Response time is basically, how long it takes a lcd crystal to go from white, to black and back to white again. LCDs with bad response times end up having a weird effect called "ghosting"... where you see image trails because the LCD isnt refreshing fast enough to keep up.

Absolutely nothing to do with input lag.
Ive allways thought they were agaisnt LCD's because of the delay. Why do people allways complain about LCD's? I mean if you arent using any sort of hardware/software scaling there should be no lag at all. I dont understand why the gaming community is so anti HDTV's and LCD.

Burn in on plasma is an old problem which has been solved in the current generations. I bought a Panasonic 42" plasma 2 years ago. If there would have been burn in issues I would have the hud of GTA IV burnt in. Or the network logo for all the Lost episodes I downloaded and watched on this TV.

Once I forgot to turn my TV off before I left the house. It was displaying the PS3 XMB for 14 hours or so. (PS3 dims after a while, but it's still visible.) When I turned off the TV I still saw the ghost image, but the next morning it was gone.

Burn in on plasma is an old problem which has been solved in the current generations. I bought a Panasonic 42" plasma 2 years ago. If there would have been burn in issues I would have the hud of GTA IV burnt in. Or the network logo for all the Lost episodes I downloaded and watched on this TV.

Once I forgot to turn my TV off before I left the house. It was displaying the PS3 XMB for 14 hours or so. (PS3 dims after a while, but it's still visible.) When I turned off the TV I still saw the ghost image, but the next morning it was gone.

I also bought the 42" Panasonic plasma about two years ago, and I love it. I've never had a problem with image retention. Maybe things have changed since then, but when I bought it LCDs didn't even come close to plasmas in black levels. It also does SDTV really well, which was a bigger deal back then when there weren't as many HD stations. I think my next TV will be a plasma too.

The model I got is a TH-42PV60. 8ms response time, I believe. I don't know if they make 'm any faster nowadays.

Back