LCD or CRT?

Ok, I've been looking into TVs for a while,and I have pretty much settled on a LCD, namely: Samsung LN46A5XX series or LN46A6XX series TV. Anyone with personal experience with any of these sets? General thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Mine is one model series back, 26" with the 8ms response that supposedly has been improved in the series you're looking at. I can say that with mine, even with game mode and set up, there is very slight lag (at least at 480p) because I noticed the difference when I play Guilty Gear on it versus an old CRT, since my FRCs are off by a couple frames. However, as a TV it's pretty nice and I don't really notice lag when playing in HD. I haven't tested SC4 on my old TV though to say there's a difference.

What about HD games on HD screens? from what i undertsand the biggest culprit is Scaling right? Allmost every next gen game right now is 720P, what i want to know whats the lag like on screens runing native resolution? What about console scalers?

I run my 360 on my PC monitor through VGA, sometimes ill run though my capture card and overlay it in Virtual Dub when i record. When i run VGA i dont have any lag issues at least nothing i notice(i dont notice anyhitng in overlay either maybe im just not goodenough to test).

What i want to know is how bad will lag be going from my Monitor to an HDTV, I only care about 360 and PS3, I dont want to dump money inot a TV and only have it lagup when im playing. I also want to know if i should just go with a PC monitor as i have no real need for a TV.

if it matters i use a Samsung 930B and the only time i notice lag is on my PS2 when run through capture card .. dont have issues with 360 regardless of conenction method.

So I just got a Samsung SyncMaster T260HD and did some output tests using a laptop with HDMI output, a high speed camera, and: http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.swf

Out of 15 pictures taken at the fastest shutter speed available, only 1 picture had a slight difference in numbers. Essentially, the lag outputting from my laptop to the T260HD is less than 1 frame. Now if I had a CRT, I could check if my laptop's monitor has lag, but as it's an Alienware m15x, I kind of hope that it doesn't.

It's a 25.5" 1920x1200 LCD with pretty good viewing angles and a TV tuner. I've been using it for 2 days and now I can't imagine how I've been living without it! And it was less than $600 too, which is amazing since some 720p HDTVs cost more for the same screen size.

Kosh... as you said in your own statement, your Laptop LCD will have lag as well... However, I can tell you that both the SyncMaster T260HD and your Laptop use TN Film LCD technology. TN Film is proven to be the FASTEST of all the LCD technologies with anywhere between 5-10ms of lag (thats less than one frame). So it really shouldn't be an issue. You are talking about COMPUTER monitors after all...

Why don't TVs use TN Film? Because TN Film is the shittiest of all the LCD technologies; its designed for computers and has horrible color gamut and contrast ratios. TN Panels only show 6-bit colors; while IPS/PVA/MVA monitors all display the full 8-bits of colors. For televisions, people dont care about half a second delay, they care about the quality of the picture; and TN Film doesnt have that. However, for computers, if you felt that yoru mouse movements were lagging behind; then people woudl notice it.

Also, you cant test monitors/televisions using cloning. You need to buy a distribution amplifier to split the signal (and do it through a desktop computer... take the signal out of the computer, and then split it evenly to your CRT and your LCD). Cloning will often add additional lag. The lag between your LCD and your Laptop should actually be around 0ms, since they are both using TN film; but since you are running through clone processing, it is adding an extra 15-20ms.

So I just got a Samsung SyncMaster T260HD and did some output tests using a laptop with HDMI output, a high speed camera, and: http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.swf

Out of 15 pictures taken at the fastest shutter speed available, only 1 picture had a slight difference in numbers. Essentially, the lag outputting from my laptop to the T260HD is less than 1 frame. Now if I had a CRT, I could check if my laptop's monitor has lag, but as it's an Alienware m15x, I kind of hope that it doesn't.

It's a 25.5" 1920x1200 LCD with pretty good viewing angles and a TV tuner. I've been using it for 2 days and now I can't imagine how I've been living without it! And it was less than $600 too, which is amazing since some 720p HDTVs cost more for the same screen size.
Thats a nice panel, Ive been trying to decide between that one and the 2693HM. I'll probably go with the 2693HM since its a little cheaper though. Only issue really is Monitors never have 16:9 its almost allways 16:10 not really a big deal but it bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

I've got a Samsung 245T at the moment. It's a fantastic monitor for my digital work but for SC4 there's is some perceptible lag (though I have yet to run http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.swf and quantify it)

My question leading from this is, what would be the top picks for a TV / Monitor then for competitive SC4. The balancing factor is a the price/performance ratio.

1) Computer Monitor
2) ~40" TV

I've seen several people bring up the Samsung LN46AXXX series of TVs but I'm pretty new to researching TV's and displays for gaming so I was hoping to draw on the experience from this thread.

Back