Lost Swords

Is Dashi apart of this one? i mean what's the status of him? i heard he got booted from the development team and instead someone else is directing this one.

I knew some of y'all don't like him, but at least he communicated with people over social media and actually cared about the offline scene.

It seems like Hoshino was trying to recapture the singleplayer crowd with LS, but I think this was the wrong way to do it.

Ummmm.........isn't this hot bag of monkey shit Namco's fault?

I get that any time someone doesn't like something it's time to blame "the casuals", but wasn't the beef with SCV that Namco put no effort into the story or other single player modes? And now that they've put zero effort into a single-player free-to-play shit-slinging fiesta, that's somehow anyone but Namco's fault?

Show me evidence that someone actually asked for this.

Did "the casuals" somehow convince Namco to use the PAL version of SCII for SCII HDO?

Here's the timeline as I see it:
-SCV did better than expected
-Namco scrambles to expand the product line on a property that apparently can make them some money, but because its not Tekken, they have no idea how
-Namco has zero interaction with the community; apparently spends 12 minutes checking out the GC as "market research"
-Namco slaps together two low-effort/no-cost offerings with the SC name on it to make some easy $$, with possibly more to come (Unbreakable Soul anyone?)

Isn't it clear at this point that Namco has no idea why SC is popular, no idea how to leverage that popularity with the property , and has no one but themselves to blame?

Ummmm.........isn't this hot bag of monkey shit Namco's fault?

I get that any time someone doesn't like something it's time to blame "the casuals", but wasn't the beef with SCV that Namco put no effort into the story or other single player modes? And now that they've put zero effort into a single-player free-to-play shit-slinging fiesta, that's somehow anyone but Namco's fault?

Show me evidence that someone actually asked for this.

Did "the casuals" somehow convince Namco to use the PAL version of SCII for SCII HDO?

-Namco scrambles to expand the product line on a property that apparently can make them some money, but because its not Tekken, they have no idea how
-Namco has zero interaction with the community; apparently spends 12 minutes checking out the GC as "market research"
-Namco slaps together two low-effort/no-cost offerings with the SC name on it to make some easy $$, with possibly more to come (Unbreakable Soul anyone?)

Isn't it clear at this point that Namco has no idea why SC is popular, no idea how to leverage that popularity with the property , and has no one but themselves to blame?
Soulcalibur has nothing on Tekken in Namco's eyes. Tekken is the firstborn son while SC is the female step-child. For whatever reason, Namco can't possibly fathom that SC is popular.

It seems like Hoshino was trying to recapture the singleplayer crowd with LS, but I think this was the wrong way to do it.

Well, all they need to do is just add all of the singleplayer modes and similar levels of content from SCII-SCIII, even SC4 had a decent amount of unlockables, and just make the game fun and fast, There are reasons why people prefer the older games to the newer ones, personally i just prefer that they are lots of moves to use per character. In my clock record for SC4 i've spent over 500 hours playing within two years, on Soul Calibur 5 i've spent 100 hours offline and 2 hours online. And i rarely play it.

I don't like the idea of a free 2 play fighting game, and i think you're right, they are doing it wrong wiht LS

How come he quit anyway? I never heard anything about that.

Well, all they need to do is just add all of the singleplayer modes and similar levels of content from SCII-SCIII, and just make it fun and fast, How come he quit anyway? I never heard anything about that.
We don't know the exact reasons, but it seemed like Daishi and the rest of PS didn't get along.

If SC5 performed better than Namco expected, I think we would have seen SC6 made by the same team by this point. Based on the marketing they clearly had plans to continue making new SC games in the style of SC5.

I'm thinking that SC5 didn't perform as well as they'd hope, and that's the reason we've heard nothing of a SC6 yet, and a big reason why Hoshino replaced Tago and Daishi.

I don't think casuals or any specific group is the reason why Lost Swords exists. I think that's higher ups at Namco realizing there's plenty of successful free-to-play titles, and they're trying to see of they can get some money from that kind of product too.

If SC5 performed better than Namco expected, I think we would have seen SC6 made by the same team by this point. Based on the marketing they clearly had plans to continue making new SC games in the style of SC5.

I'm thinking that SC5 didn't perform as well as they'd hope, and that's the reason we've heard nothing of a SC6 yet, and a big reason why Hoshino replaced Tago and Daishi.

I don't think casuals or any specific group is the reason why Lost Swords exists. I think that's higher ups at Namco realizing there's plenty of successful free-to-play titles, and they're trying to see of they can get some money from that kind of product too.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't presume to have any special insight, but let's be honest.......SCV outsells TTT2, even when they cut off the tap on SCV to throw it our the door (they admit it was rushed and 3/4 of the story was cut)...you really think it did less than expected?

Plus the book on Daishi is that he quit. Sure I get that when it comes down to it, only Namco and Daishi know whether that 's true, but if he did quit, is it because Namco wanted him to develop products he couldn't get behind?

Honestly, SCV had superficial failings. But LS seems to double down on those failings, and ignore what made it good. I have no doubt they are using a saleable property to cash in on the ftp $$; but the whole rationale for LS seems to be directed at what were perceived as SCV failings,though that perception seems to belong to Namco and no one else.

To be fair, his direction made SCV into the most balanced SC game (besides for a few hiccups... Viola...). His character choices, however, weren't the best.

I agree. SCV may not have as much 'meat' on it as previous titles, but the 'skeleton' was far stronger IMO.

Reactions: CFW
To be fair, his direction made SCV into the most balanced SC game (besides for a few hiccups... Viola...). His character choices, however, weren't the best.

Well i just hate how everyone is stripped of their moves. Honestly if Namco made a SCIIIHD on ps3/4 i'd be perfectly content. I wonder if Lost Swords will take content ideas from the older games? like team battles and Extra Arcade etc. And things like unlockable art gallery, character profiles, unlockable weapons with effects, joke weapons and stuff like that.

Well i just hate how everyone is stripped of their moves. Honestly if Namco made a SCIIIHD on ps3/4 i'd be perfectly content. I wonder if Lost Swords will take content ideas from the older games? like team battles and Extra Arcade etc. And things like unlockable art gallery, character profiles, unlockable weapons with effects, joke weapons and stuff like that.
Concerning the removal of moves, honestly, imo it wasn't such a big deal because most moves were useless. I'll use Amy as an example. Her best moves were 2B+K, 33B, 3B(A), 66A+B, 1A and her parries (excluding moves you use to combo). There were a few I missed, but you get the gist of it. They probably made up of about less than 1/3rd of her movelist. The rest of the moves were pretty much useless. Even now in SC5, characters still have a bunch of useless moves.

Tl;dr Utility > Number

Back