Matchup Discussion Thread

crow_winters

[11] Champion
Let's start talking about matchups. How about everyone's current pain in the butt, Natsu?

AAB is like, the most frustrating thing in the world to me right now. This crap wears your guard bar down mad fast, you can't step between the A and B, Aeon can technically punish with 4B but the pushout is too far unless your back is near the wall, and I think it might be the most frustrating string in the game to try and JG. I actually haven't had much trouble with 4A+B/PO like everyone else has, but AAB has been making me cry. It's possibile to do block, JG the three B's but I can't find a consistent timing at all. If you do get it though, free 3B.

I'm just having a hard time on the close range characters overall like Pyrrha. I just use 6K to push them out and to space with 11K, 33B, and 11A.Not the best options so I'm stumped overall.

I use 2A and AA to push and space them out. Both are very fast at i13 and very safe at -6. You can 2A two or three times and still keep them in range for a WR B if they blocked your last chop.

11K is always good if you can land it. 33B is slow mid so I wouldn't use that outside of tech traps and high/low mixup games. 11_44_77A is nice if it CH's but I wouldn't ever rely on it against a rushdown character.

I like using 4b+kG to get in on rushdown-happy characters. TC, TJ, difficult to punish on block (for most rushers). It's tricky to use against edges and collapsible walls, but effective for punishing highs and lows on reaction.

I tried AA and 2A, and it forces them to block. Thx Aaron. On 11K, I seem to land it whenever the player blocks high on wake-up or after a stun like 4A.

Vs. Sieg 3B and WS B, Aeon can beat every single proactive option Sieg has- 22AB (or 11A or works too, here) and 11B (11K also works)

11B-
+Steps SCH K/SCH B
+Ducks SCH A
+Beats any forward and backwards transition
+Gives frame advantage
-Loses to immediate block after 3B/WS B, Sieg can punish with WS K for 27 damage
+In order to punish, Sieg has to give up doing a combo.
(forgot to test if it loses to the side stepping stances... doh!)

11K-
Does everything that 11B does but beats the side stepping stance. However, is obviously much more punishable.

22AB-
+Steps SCH K/SCH B
+CH's SCH KK and SCH A
+Otherwise, frame advantage
+Ducks SCH A
+Beats ALL stance transitions except DELAYED B+K (immediately B+K still gets hit as the auto-GI doesn't trigger quickly enough
-Loses to immediate block after 3B/WS B, Sieg can punish with 6A (I think?)
+In order to punish, Sieg has to give up doing a combo

44A-
Does everything 22AB does, except it loses to immediate B+K

As you can see, once you block 3B and WS B it's still a mixup in Aeon's favor, but the guessing game is something you have to actively setup with the right moves. You can also just step-4 afterwards, but I feel like your giving up free momentum by doing that.

EDIT: I just found out that you HAVE TO STEP LEFT in order to do this. Just FYI.

Since this thread gets no love whatsoever perhaps a punishment guide/list could be of use? I mean like every other soul arena has one. We should all work on it to achieve the most out of it. It might not be necessary but I think it will. I'll start by making a thread and begin to work on **(insert character here)** LOL

any tips against leixia would be awesome, just getting mashed down and cant do shit, everything is safe and builds tons of meter for her while my guard just breaks extremely fast -.- it is not that i have no clue what she is doing, i also dont eat the quake moves all the time, its just i cant keep her out and when she sits on me, its over

2A beats WS B BE consistently, learn the difference between stuff like 6BA and 6BA~bA, stuff like that. Her lows kind of suck, learn the animations/properties, be patient. She's honestly really similar to you- sane mid range, poor lows, great guard gauge.

The only real "bad news!" thing in this matchup is her 3B, it's fast enough to be a real problem mid range for Aeon. But the damage off it isn't that scary compared to, say, your own, if the lexia is particularly bad at spacing you get a free AA on block. On the other hand, she has a tough time pining down things like 9B and 4B+K, and her horizontal options are nowhere near as scary as yours. Learn to JG/block option select AA BE mixup.

Did you guys find any punition for Pyrrha 3B ? I have problems against that move.
At closest possible range 2B works. But it's pretty much safe for her to do it on Aeon unless your back is against the extremities. Then 66K, 6B$ and the rest will work.

In addition to 2B, 3K works at the same ranges. Though they kinda do the exact same thing (same damage, same advantage...) one just leaves you in crouch and the other leaves you standing.

Although im not an aeon player myself..I do use him a few times :/ how do u guys feel about him vs astaroth? personally I give asta a slight advantage only because of 44b,44a aeon has to deal with and the fact asta has more damage oppotunities than the lizard :/ but i think its manageable if u learn how to JG his 66k and 6k aeon gets a free 3b into 66k :D although risky...u can use 66k if to go under asta's grabs if u sense one coming and asta has to be careful if he wants to step or he'll eat a 66A from aeon but erm my opinion so far :/ maybe I'll play reptile with asta and see how he does against him :/

VS Siegfried please. He is my worst matchup with Aeon.
If he gets dance-happy hit him with 3B. If he's a 3(B)fried (and most of the online Siegs are), step and punish with 66K (44A may be an even better option). Unless he re-orients himself with you by tapping 6 and immediately does SCH B/K you'll beat his stancing.
Against his zoning, use 4B+K to get in against stuff like iagA and 6A. If he goes into stance and you're expecting a low, 9B is amazing (and is pretty amazing in this matchup in general. I need to test if the TJ goes over SRSH B though).
Try to avoid overusing 66A. It may be Aeon's best move, but if you get predictable with it and Sieg goes into SBH, it will auto-GI it for a 110-damage combo (ouch).
Both characters have strong ringout games, but I think Aeon is a bit better in this regard. With Sieg when your back is to the ledge you can just break B all day and all he can do otherwise is 1B (lol).

Try to avoid overusing 66A. It may be Aeon's best move, but if you get predictable with it and Sieg goes into SBH, it will auto-GI it for a 110-damage combo (ouch). (lol).

THAT is my main problem against Sieg. I abuse 66A so when it comes to Sieg, I get 3-0'ed everytime. DTN showed me by whipping my ass online when I started using 66A to much. I also use 66A+B angainst Sieg which seems ok until they start 2_8B+K'ing.

THAT is my main problem against Sieg. I abuse 66A so when it comes to Sieg, I get 3-0'ed everytime. DTN showed me by whipping my ass online when I started using 66A to much. I also use 66A+B angainst Sieg which seems ok until they start 2_8B+K'ing.
Then just stop overusing 66A then

Back