Matchups: You vs. The World

Some of you may notice that during your Soul Calibur V "career", you start to stagnate with your character. There are no more combos to learn, no more little tricks for your character. You play and play, but you feel that the outcome of a match is up in the air.

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

You are stuck because you miss one simple principle:

You cannot play everyone the same way.

That's not just people- that's characters. You cannot play against different characters the same way. You just can't. If you’re playing against Astaroth the same way you play against Natsu you’re missing out on large parts of the game. You need to change your methods to fit the situation.

You know yourself, but not your enemy.

Set aside your basic gameplay and begin to individually study other characters. This is known as gathering matchup data. Studying your matchups augments every single aspect of your game; because you can play against characters at maximum efficiency there is no energy wasted thinking and more resources funneled towards reading your opponent.

This is what separates casuals from real players. Proper matchup study will put you far above the general playerbase to possibly rival actual tournament players. If you are a weak player, it is the one thing 100% guaranteed to make you stronger. Got poor basics? Matchup study will cover that right up. If you are a strong player, it will make you near-unbeatable.

It is work- it does take time- but if you put in the investment now, you are unlocking a depth to the game that is incomparable to anything else- the true splendor of fighters.

If the flowery explanation doesn’t pique your interest, let me put it more simply.

Studying matchups = more wins.

Let’s take a minute to define matchup data.

What is matchup data?

Matchup data is any information that helps you make better decisions in the fight.

It could be a general overview (space out Viola, stay away from close range);

it could be notes on a stance (ducking counters most options from Mitsurugi’s MST);

it could be an observation on strings (you can step right the last hit of Cervantes’ BBB if you block the first two [but you can't step left!]);

it could be frames (Patroklos’ 3B is -16 on block).

You are looking for any sort of advantage, any sort of information that will help you win.

Generally, an easy way to start off gathering matchup data is by looking at a block punishment list. Some of you may already have these lists made for you- check your respective Soul Arena. (Here is Algol’s; here is Patroklos’; here is Nightmare’s; here is Natsu’s; etc., etc.)

If you do not have this list, or if the list is incomplete, it is easy enough to make your own. Head over to the wiki, bring up your character’s frame data and the character you are training against, fire up training mode, and start testing moves.

(As an aside, it’s important that you eventually familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of training mode. Our own Fahros has a video on the subject. If you want to skip right to where he explains the record function, it is here. Training mode is not just for practicing combos and inputs, but for simulating combat situations. I’ve spent many hours in training mode testing and identifying options for any given situation, even though I don’t necessarily “practice” in the conventional sense.)

Having a simple punishment list (duck here and punish with wrB; step this and punish with 22K; block x move and punish with 236B; if this move whiffs, punish with 3B) and adhering to it will greatly increase your survival ratio.

Of course, you don’t need to limit yourself to punishment. Take notes on certain situations and what you see (Pyrrha’s B+G throw can be teched; if aPatroklos is spamming 33B you should be careful about backstepping; a common sequence for Astaroth is 44B block, 44A.)

If you really want to delve deeply into it, go into a particular character’s Soul Arena, and read through everything there. You’ll find setups, tech traps, and common situations that the character goes through. Sometimes, vocal players will even tell you the character’s weaknesses without you having to ask. Arm yourself with this information and use it against the players you come across.

Do the thinking now so you don’t have to think in the fight.

I don’t know about you, but for me it’s pretty hard to remember frames and tactics off the top of my head when I'm being punched in the face.

After you’ve compiled your list (and a few notes) it’s time to reinforce your data, and you do this by- what else?- playing.

The Feedback Loop

This particular method I learned from Belial. Shouts out to Captain Russia, he knows what’s really real.

It is specifically for online play- unless your opponents don’t mind you glancing at a “cheat sheet” in front of them between rounds at your offline venue.

(These are big pictures. Click on them to see.)

I keep a binder next to my Playstation, like so:

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

In this binder is the matchup data that I have compiled for all characters.

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

When I play online, I open up the binder. I look to see who I’m facing (is it a Natsu? A Nightmare? A Yoshimitsu?) and I flip open to that page in the binder. I take glances at it between rounds to remind myself that, “oh, this is punishable, oh, I need to watch out for this.”

Now, if you are playing randoms, this can be pretty hard to do on-the-fly. You need something more sustained, more controlled, to learn.

In the Global Colosseo, you can read users’ profiles and find out who their “main” is, and take a longer time preparing (reading your data) before going into the fight. You can also do this in Player Match rooms, seeing who people play and then quickly reviewing your material before fighting.

The absolute best way to do this, however- is to fight a long set, a continual series of matches, one-on-one.

1-v-1

Sets are the preferred style of play for most offline players, as compared to the “endless stream of opponents” typical of online play. You’ll fight head-to-head sets in casuals (“for fun”), at tournaments (these are particularly short sets), or perhaps even for money (!)

Long sets in particular provide one particularly valuable thing- the accumulation of lots of experience in a very short amount of time.

Online, you can set up a 1v1 room by going to Player Match, setting the Player Count to 2 and the Private Slots to 1. Create the room and then invite someone to play.

(You can invite friends; people you’ve met randomly online; people here on 8WR. Ask around, network to find new players of all different types. Don’t be shy- people want new friends! Really!)

Try to keep them there for at least 8 matches (if they are the type to leave, try to keep your challenges to a “ft2” or “ft3”). This shouldn’t be a problem, as most players will play along for an indefinite amount of time.

Since you control who you invite into the room, you most likely know beforehand who you’re playing against, and what character they use. You can open up your matchup book and read it freely from match to match and round to round, applying information from it as you go.

This strengthens your matchup knowledge the more you do it- your punishments become faster and more decisive, your situational knowledge starts to increase. You inoculate yourself against common tricks and setups and increase your defensive capabilities, keeping you in fights longer.

Now, as you’re playing, you may notice that some of your data is inaccurate- you can’t physically do what you wrote down, you can’t JG this or punish that in time. Your opponent may start using techniques or strategies that you have not thought of before. This is what you want- remember this. Save your replays if at all possible.

When you are finished playing, review your replays, think back to what gave you trouble into the match, and then go back into training mode and start updating your matchup data. Find new solutions that will work for you- maybe you need to dial back your expectations on punishment; maybe you need to look more closely at your frames, spacing, and options after getting hit by a certain move. Try out everything; attacking, moving, Guard Impact, just start throwing stuff out until you find what works. You are using the new information you have gained from playing in a real, uncontrolled environment, and refining the data that you already have.

(As an aside- when players say they are “labbing”, or “hitting the lab” for a certain character after a loss, they are gathering and/or refining matchup data. They may not put it on paper, but this is what they are doing.)

Once you have studied these new situations well, you can go back and challenge the same person or character again, and repeat the process. (This can go on as long as you want until you are satisfied- continual refinement can be a lifelong process. This is the “infinite replay value” of fighting games.)

Closing Thoughts

Matchup study can be quite a bit of work. Collecting data on every character in the game is a massive task. Thankfully- you don’t have to stress yourself about it; you can take things one step at a time.

Try picking a character you really dislike playing against. Maybe it’s Xiba, or Voldo, or Leixia. Anyone at all, where you think “I wish this character weren’t in the game.”

Put together an anti-list just for that character. Just one list- it doesn’t have to be too long, and it doesn’t have to be extensive. It doesn’t have to be 100% correct, either. Just put something together with a little bit of study.

Then, go find players who use that character. Find them by looking at user profiles online, find them by asking around 8WR. Friend them and invite them to a 1v1 room.

This is quite literally “confronting your fears”. If you have the right attitude about losing you will overcome your difficulties. Don’t stop for anything.

If you win the majority of your matches due to what you’ve learned from your studies- you’re probably not scared of that character any more. If you lose- take those replays, figure out why you lost, and then dive back into studying again.

When you have reached a level of competency that you are happy with against that character, move on to the next one.

Take your time- move at your own pace. This is a game, it is supposed to be fun. Don’t overwork yourself- just know that you should set aside some time to study when you can.

Just putting in a little work now will pay off big dividends in the future.

Post above was funny as hell.

I know, I think of the funniest things sometimes don't I? Ah well, like I always say, no one's perfect so it's all good. You'll never know what you'll read next in this forum huh? Never a dull moment. XD

Are you serious about this? For real?
The only reason I was able to even touch RTD, Something-Unique, Hawkeye, etc. in the MLG Gamebattles PSN May tournament- much stronger players than I, a low-tier little experience no-basics online player- was because I studied my matchups.

Without studying matchups, the effect that ends up being created is the "brick wall", noted by Sirlin in Playing to Win.

If you cannot cross Low Strong you cannot even begin to play the game.

You aren't playing Soul Calibur, you're just getting hit.

Studying my matchups enabled me to pass the brick wall and start playing the game. Passing the brick wall and keeping my eyes open enabled me to see the application of basics and fundamentals by experienced players. I simply copied these basics and took them for myself, and used them until I understood them clearer through experience and play.

Suddenly, I am "strong"- because my strength has been gathered from the titans that be.

I don't consider myself skilled. Lazy, can't execute, poor reactions, tendency to mash, can't adapt quickly. Some people would say otherwise- and to them I would say that the only reason I seem skilled is because of what I know.

And- that they would be at my level if not stronger if they just knew what I knew.

I believe that it is knowledge and understanding of the game that can provide strength to any man- (Science, great science, is the equalizer)- and all of this seriously starts with matchup study.

I would have continued to be an online 1A mashing scrub if I did not study my matchups and break the ceiling into the real world of Soul Calibur.

If you get people started with Mitsu, there's really no reason to switch away from him. Mitsu's the character you pick if you can't be bothered to do any work.

Please, don't recommend busted-ass characters for people to learn the game. They'll be ruined when they look into other characters that interest them and find that they actually have to do work to win.
You are assuming that Mitsurugi by himself wins tournaments, which is why Belial, RTD, GreatOne, and TheHumanTyphoon won the MLG Summer Championship simultaneously.

...He does not.
Perhaps on the beginner or intermediate level, he can do well without much effort.

On the highest, any character is viable, and thinking otherwise is a good way to die.

I do not mean to be critical, but I must set this straight immediately. Your response tells me one of two things:

1) You have not played Mitsurugi for yourself for an extended period of time.

2) If you have played Mitsurugi for yourself, you have not faced truly strong opponents.

A side effect of studying matchups is that I am able to play other characters that I do not specialize in, merely because I know what their weaknesses and strengths are (because I have analyzed them to fight against them) and I know what strong players do repeatedly to me (the methods of which I merely copy to fashion an imitation of their skill).

I have played as Viola before. I can perform the Tokido combo well. And yet I do not play as Viola.

Why?

She has weaknesses. Weaknesses I do not care to compensate for.

You should think carefully about this. If Mitsurugi (or Viola, or Nightmare, or anyone in the game) were as powerful as you say- where is the results? Where is the proof? Why are all competitive players who want to win beyond anything else not picking them at once?

Mitsurugi is not my main for a reason.

There's no point in lecturing TiZ. He's been given everything to succeed but continually fails to provide the most important thing no one but he can provide: effort. He refuses to put in the effort mid-match to succeed and becomes flustered when he loses because of it, then seeks everything else to blame. He's ragequit on *ME* multiple times(as admittedly awful as I am) and yet still expects special treatment.

There's a point where you should draw the line. He's studied the game as well, this is evident in how he plays...but the lack of effort is more evident. I'm sorry, but when he's posting these little rants of his now...all I can think about is how much he needs to shut up and stop demanding attention. I'm no better myself, but I think it's important to note that constantly making exuses and losing your cool like TiZ is a great way to be a terrible player and a terrible person.

I'd know, I have the exact same problem: I'm not putting in near the effort I should to expect ever winning.

It's a daunting task but I know this is the next step in leveling up my game. I feel like I have to ability to get pretty good at SCV. I guess I'll just have to start with my bad match-ups and work my way up from there.

good read as always drake. ive kept a mini notebook since SC5 came out.

its separated by character obviously and includes every block punishable move, some important JGs and what to punish with on JG, what break the command throw is, and what direction certain throws RO. its small enough that i can have it on me at all times for a tournament.

if i know i have a certain character coming up, i'll flip to their page and get a little refresher.

The only reason I was able to even touch RTD, Something-Unique, Hawkeye, etc. in the MLG Gamebattles PSN May tournament- much stronger players than I, a low-tier little experience no-basics online player- was because I studied my matchups.
Everyone had always told me, "learn the matchups, it'll help." Nobody had ever stressed how much of a difference it would actually make. As I said in the post before I stated my concerns re: Mitsu (which I'm sure everyone has already forgotten about), I'd just assumed it would only help me a little bit. Reading this article and hearing your reassurance means I'll be picking up a binder soon.

You are assuming that Mitsurugi by himself wins tournaments, which is why Belial, RTD, GreatOne, and TheHumanTyphoon won the MLG Summer Championship simultaneously.
I'm actually just going to drop this here. I should know better than to open my mouth in regards to anything concerning character balance, because people always jump down my throat (especially Wandrian who wears two faces to deal with me) and because you either earnestly believe that this game is very well balanced, or you wear the best poker face in the world in regards to that subject. I'm sick of defending and explaining myself to people who have no idea how much effort I actually put into this game, so I just don't want to this time. I'll just let all the flames and criticisms stick. I don't care anymore.

In any case, I don't want this to turn into a character strength debate just because of the comment you made... that would take away from the article's actual purpose and that would be really unfair to you and everyone else. So I'd like to stop here and invite you to continue this debate with me over PM if you still wish. After all, you are one of the last few people on this site who takes me seriously, which I appreciate beyond words, and mayhaps your perspective might finally start to rub off on me with some more talking.

Adroable, you can't troll the community troll :) But i promise, i won't mention your little notebook you were using @ the New Mexico Major ;)
I INSIST YOU DO. I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.

DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOU'RE RETARDED FOR DOUBTING MY MYSTERIOUS POSITION ON THIS THREAD TOPIC.

Please, don't recommend busted-ass characters for people to learn the game. They'll be ruined when they look into other characters that interest them and find that they actually have to do work to win.

really, mitsu is great training wheels, your example is like saying, don't ever buy a child a tricycle because they'll be ruined and never be able to drive a car, please

furthermore, you are JUST now realizing how invaluable character matchup knowledge is, yet you wont to spout off about what characters people should or shouldn't be learning with? please, don't recommend any suggestions to the fighting game community members, especially new bloods, but just as importantly established players like drake, you are still new to all this, and you need to hold your opinions until they are better formed

Would someone mind briefly summarizing what is in this? I can't watch videos at work
A clip from Street Fighter Alpha (I think 2?)
Rose vs. Charlie.

Both are sitting in crouch at a close distance to each other. Rose is spamming low strong over and over again, whiffing right in front of Charlie's face.

Charlie goes for a Sonic Boom and ends up getting hit.

(That's my "briefly", you don't have to read the rest of this wall of text...)

---

Here is Sirlin's piece on the subject, applying the principle of the Sheathed Sword.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/2-the-sheathed-sword.html

"Come and worship at the Church of Low Strong."

The sheathed sword principle can be referred to as a brick wall, or as a "barrier to entry". That is to say, if you can't get past it, you can't play the game.

This is why I like Soul Calibur so much- not a lot of barriers to entry. Execution is easy, combos are easy, the game is relatively simple- this is at the highest levels of play. The barriers that do exist (game mechanics, matchups, etc.) are what I've been writing about, and they are easy to cross once you understand the principles.

2D fighters... You have to get over the execution barrier first most of the time. There's the whole speed thing (moves a lot faster) which can become a barrier for slower-reacting players. Then on top of that there's game mechanics, matchups, so on and so forth.

Tekken has an execution barrier in that at the highest level of play you must know how to backdash cancel. Movement is extremely complicated and not intuitive at all, requiring special techniques.

(Someone can correct me on this because I do not know the true story- but I am assuming that the reason why in some circles, backdash cancel is known as "Korean backdash", is because Americans and other players did not even know about the technique until they started meeting Korean players at the international level of play. IIRC, this happened because back then you didn't really have the internet as we know it today, so this kind of "dark age" was possible. Stuff could pass right under your nose and you wouldn't have a clue.)

You cannot reasonably figure it out by yourself in Tekken.

(Backdash in Soul Calibur is... tap 4. Backdash canceling is... 4, 214, 214, 214. Just quarter-circle back repeatedly, it's easy. Positioning is... 8-way-run. Easy. Stepping is... just press the button. Easy.)

You get my point. Soul Calibur is everyman's game. Other games... not so much, you gotta put in work before you can really even start playing.

I don't know about you but I ain't got time for that.

I believe it's the developer's responsibility to either remove barriers of entry so that all people can play, or if there are barriers, provide learning tools wholly within the game so that players can cross these barriers on their own. But let's not get too off-topic...

---

I don't totally advocate Sirlin- Playing to Win is a good read, but personally, I believe it focuses too much on winning (I believe this is brought up later in the book, but it isn't stressed or emphasized over teaching "scrubs" that effective spamming is a legitimate strategy).

Or, rather, it doesn't give enough emphasis how toxic and crippling focusing on winning in the short term is.

Strange to say, but I believe in "playing to learn", with the reasoning that, if I can learn more and more, I'll win more and more, naturally.

The only way to learn is to lose, so if you focus on winning too much, you'll get discouraged when you lose, your ego will get hurt, and you won't learn, which hampers your development, which makes it harder for you to win, which defeats your original intent to win in the first place.

In other words, I'm kind of like a bank.
I don't need your money right now, I'll take all of it from you over a period of 30 years.

I'm not playing to win for right now.
I'm playing to win for all eternity.

Yeah, it's like that.

---

Good on you for coming out to MLG, by the way.

I'd like to take this time to say to everyone that you go to tournaments not to win but for the learning experience. If you know you're gonna get beat, you don't have enough training, you're not good enough,

screw it, go anyway.

Open your mental notebook and start writing. (Or hell, do like kAb say and bring some damn paper with you. School's in sucka!)

Play casuals, lots and lots of casuals, those guys aren't just going to play in the tournament, they're there to have fun, too. Be a sponge, you're sitting elbow-to-elbow around real tournament players. Soak that stuff up!

I went to two tournaments when I was an online SCIV n00b, a local at Gamelot in San Antonio, and Houston Regionals at AnimeMatsuri. (I have videos of the latter. Oh god, they're so terrible.)

My biggest mistake was going with the expectation of winning and focusing too much on it when I should have just been having fun and learning about the game.

I was so damn salty when I lost. The fact is, SCIV online was so bad, it was an amazing achievement that I didn't get lit up as soon as I walked into the place. I didn't know basics, I didn't know matchups, I didn't know nothing. It's no surprise that I lost, that was a given.

But I didn't know that I didn't know. (Meta enough for you? Yo dawg...)

I didn't know why, I just knew I was mad, angry, and I wanted to cry. I got beat. I lost, it hurt, and I didn't learn anything except that "losing feels bad".

It took a couple of years, but I eventually saw the error of my ways. (How immature I was, it's embarrassing to think about it...)

When I finally got the chance some years later to go to EVO you best believe I played the shit out of those casuals. I had a ear-to-ear smile the whole time.

I am still broke from that. Doesn't matter, totally worth it.

Damn drake either you type really fckin fast or you got way too much time on your hands bruh! LOL I cant even begin to read all your posts or articles but thanks for making them...

And TiZ go whine about mitsu somewhere else.

I INSIST YOU DO. I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.

DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT YOU'RE RETARDED FOR DOUBTING MY MYSTERIOUS POSITION ON THIS THREAD TOPIC.

come on now....just because i STOLE that strat from you doesn't mean i'm stupid? now does it? That doesn't mean i doubt anything sir....

don't be that angry guy and spew nonsense out of his mouth. Be like me, happy and go-lucky. :)

come on now....just because i STOLE that strat from you doesn't mean i'm stupid? now does it? That doesn't mean i doubt anything sir....

don't be that angry guy and spew nonsense out of his mouth. Be like me, happy and go-lucky. :)
FINE. I'LL PUT DOWN MY ANGRY DEFENSES AGAINST YOU. FOR NOW.

BTW, THOSE NOTES I WROTE WERE ABOUT GENERAL PATTERNS I NOTICED IN PLAYERS. IT WASN'T CHARACTER-BASED, AS DISCUSSED IN THIS TOPIC, SO YOUR POINT SEEMED OFF.

Another great read Drake, a pleasure as always. I've been trying to build up as much knowledge I can about the characters that give me the most difficulty to beat or that I don't know of as well by analyzing their movesets and seeing how they "flow".

Not only do I get to expose myself to many different character styles but I get an idea of what a potential player of those characters may be thinking about (i.e. how they'd space with the character, how they'd apply pressure, how they'd initiate comboes, etc.). Although I still focus around playing a couple characters, I play a few on the side to better understand their inner workings. Trying to understand Voldo for instance has been a very interesting challenge to say the least (he actually can be pretty damn fun to play too, so many mixups!).

Anyway, keep up the quality articles. They're great for the community as a whole!

Very insightful as always Drake, if more players just read and practiced what you preach i'm sure the SCV community would be flourishing even more. Especially nice for me was the note on "facing your fears" by finding people who play a character you have trouble with. I do this often on XBL. When there are good Mitsu / Asta / Patroklos / Nightmare players i come across i make sure to get all the practice i can against them.

Sure it's still online and lag is a factor, but more often than not the connection is smooth enough that i can walk away with a vastly improved understanding of my demons. I still hate them...But i no longer fear going up against them now that i have a better understanding of them.

Thanks again for being able to so articulately express these crucial fundamentals to everyone, veterans and new comers alike.

Live streams

6 Viewers
RareSaiyan_
RareSaiyan_
Latenight Soul Cal Vybez | Laptop Charger Broke.. | SCVIW/RareSaiyan
2 Viewers
marigram
marigram
spending more time on the godforsaken playstation network

Forum statistics

Threads
Members