Maxi General Discussion/Q&A Thread

cool things I loved about sc2 maxi. his 236bg was safe on block, and on hit it was like 1/4 life, so was a decent whiff punisher/ get in move. also his lo bk, the kick was both mid and cancel-able. and he was fast as fuck. I love using B into whatever. he also had back turn cancels from moves that turned him around but they weren't the most useful. oh, and his a+b was useful. it was a nc so an easy whiff punisher, though unsafe.

he also had glitches that allowed him to throw from stance, which is fun if you can get people to freeze during loopage.

he also had lows. not as good as sc3 but, he had 3b+k and WL b+k. And his cancels. I miss all his cancels, even if some were useless lol

SC2 Maxi is definitely not the worst version in the series. That dubious honor belongs to SC4 Maxi, who had almost no chance of winning against a knowledgeable opponent. SC2 Maxi could be competitive at high levels because even though he didn't have nearly as much bullshit as the top tiers, he still had quite a few tools you had to respect. In addition to what's been mentioned already: Awesome standing B, 66A, 6bAA, FC 3AAA that tracks a million percent, etc.

I also loved tPSL and felt that it was really underutilized. Surprising people with standing B into LO K was so much fun. I don't think I ever got the hang of throwing out of stance though. I'll have to try that.

Even though heavy looping wasn't advisable in SC2, Maxi could at least train the opponent enough to get some shorter loops going, which was pretty cool.

All in all, not the strongest version of Maxi, but probably the most fun. I'm afraid all of you hoping for spammable tools on the level of SC5 Maxi's 6A+B and WS B+K are going to be seriously disappointed, however.

Does anyone know how to do the stance to throw stuff?

also what does tPSL mean? I'm pretty sure I'm doing it (instant LO from B i think is an example?) just have no idea what it means

glad to see long-haired 2p maxi back lol

to do the throw thing, it was like you have to do an attack, then do another attack that goes into stance before the animation for the first attack ends or something. then while you're looping from the second attack, you can throw. it's prolly easiest to do from wsb --> li b(g) into looping.

the tpsl is just quickly shifting from ro to lo without the pesky animation. I think it means like true psl but idk.

to do the throw thing, it was like you have to do an attack, then do another attack that goes into stance before the animation for the first attack ends or something. then while you're looping from the second attack, you can throw. it's prolly easiest to do from wsb --> li b(g) into looping.

the tpsl is just quickly shifting from ro to lo without the pesky animation. I think it means like true psl but idk.

MTFighter: Oh good, just who I was about to talk about :)

Here's one of MTFighter's matches against KDZ waaaay back, and its' one of the best I've seen so far. This is how SC2 Maxi should be played, and what it's supposed to look like.

can you give a notation discription :D lol

wow that's an old vid. I miss looping and moving. fun times.

notation for what? the throw thing? an even easier way to do it I think is: A~b--> psl3--> throw.
basically it's just the A poke into B then looping into throw.

tpsl is basically just psl 3 but tapping up or down repeatedly.

It brings back good memories for me. Looping was actually a good thing. I incorporated the tPSL into my play style and GIs.

Here's a cool looping video by Spyder, who was one of the best SC2 Maxi players IMO. I don't think very much of this is viable, but it gives a good idea of what's possible and shows off some of the tPSL/iPSL shifts.

Reactions: IRM
Back