Maxi General Discussion "The Dandy of the Seas

they arnt i check i used to 6A~ROA PSL4 ~ROA loads and thought id give it a go and nope T_T

there is gonna be a lot to learn here though..... just not as much as SCIV

This Maxi can definitely scrap. I had a 27 win streak on my brother's account just by watching some of IRM/Bibulus/Saitoh's tourney vids and implementing his strats. Nothing more fun than baiting the other player during their last 1/4-1/3 health with a taunt followed by a speedy and well-ranged 6A+B~LI B to seal the round.

Anybody have trouble with 66A+B [ B ] confirming? A lot of times the uncharged version of B would occur despite holding the button. Another issue was 22_88A not always entering LI stance. Solutions?

66A+B{B} seemed consistent to me but i barely used it, i need more time with it as im not used to that move to decide if i like it or not. and HRD already got you on the 22_88A the stance version used to be used in some of the bigger wall set ups i had labbed out in 4 but in this it looks as the the CH 22_88A is going to be preferred without stance as it is combo to 6[B+K] and what ever follow up you want from there (hoping for SCIV:BD High w! personally) but as you see in the clips above Yin was doing [CE] (held CE cancels) to ROK which splats or leave 2K+B,B for approx 40-50% or more on w!

66A+B{B} seemed consistent to me but i barely used it, i need more time with it as im not used to that move to decide if i like it or not. and HRD already got you on the 22_88A the stance version used to be used in some of the bigger wall set ups i had labbed out in 4 but in this it looks as the the CH 22_88A is going to be preferred without stance as it is combo to 6[B+K] and what ever follow up you want from there (hoping for SCIV:BD High w! personally) but as you see in the clips above Yin was doing [CE] (held CE cancels) to ROK which splats or leave 2K+B,B for approx 40-50% or more on w!

Hmm PsL3 does sound good esp with those aGI frames. I was kinda hoping to see PsL4 & 5 despite them not being so great, oh well.

How do you guys feel about SC LO B A+B? I love the animation and his "Oh baby!" shout as he does it, I think it mixes well used sparingly after a standard B~RO B~LO where instead of BK when opponent expects the high, you throw out SC LO B A+B. It's a quick mid that loops back to LO btw.

Hmm PsL3 does sound good esp with those aGI frames. I was kinda hoping to see PsL4 & 5 despite them not being so great, oh well.

How do you guys feel about SC LO B A+B? I love the animation and his "Oh baby!" shout as he does it, I think it mixes well used sparingly after a standard B~RO B~LO where instead of BK when opponent expects the high, you throw out SC LO B A+B. It's a quick mid that loops back to LO btw.
That might the damn sc move i saw someone do and about lost my shit!! Tried for another day to figure out what he sid and i think just solved the mystery for me.

That shit was dope af!! I kind thought it looped into BL though cause he finished me off with a BL KK.

to be honest i think there was a lot of moves i missed without acces to the move list. i dont think i did anything A+B from LO (dont suppose you have a clip of the animation?) i know LOB goes to RC and RCA+B in SC should leave you in LI..

without the full move list there is so much to miss with maxi, it really felt like a disadvantage cause maxi is like learning 5 chars (neutral, LI, LO, BL, RO, RO and WL. then add SC and the fact that some of his SC moves are from stance and not just single presses but A+B and not necessarily the first hit) for example i know when i was first trying things out i some how managed to get him to do the SCIV RCA it was in soul charge, did it like 3 times and not once was i exactly sure what caused it cause i was expecting diferent moves but it was in lag and i think the stance changed..... i was thinking it should be RCA+B but when i tried it there was nothing... unless again it was connections BS

its a nightmare with no move list.

on a second note i am going through the maxi maxi vid in the thread and makeing some notes and stuff ill write up and post anther time as its 130 am and in not even half done

Last edited:
RC A+B in SCB is Sc2:Tiger Pounce

A Pay wall to Access normal moves.
Locking normal maxi moves behind a SCB Wall.. might as well just be Brave edge all over again

The secret A+B input in all Stances are all for show and nostalgia gimmicky but its a cool feature.

-A Very Simple FIX is to turn "A+B" into an Input Command for "Canyon Carve" making it function the same way "Wavering Lights" works.
So that during any stance opener you can input ["A+B" Canyon Carve].

to be honest i think there was a lot of moves i missed without acces to the move list. i dont think i did anything A+B from LO (dont suppose you have a clip of the animation?) i know LOB goes to RC and RCA+B in SC should leave you in LI..

without the full move list there is so much to miss with maxi, it really felt like a disadvantage cause maxi is like learning 5 chars (neutral, LI, LO, BL, RO, RO and WL. then add SC and the fact that some of his SC moves are from stance and not just single presses but A+B and not necessarily the first hit) for example i know when i was first trying things out i some how managed to get him to do the SCIV RCA it was in soul charge, did it like 3 times and not once was i exactly sure what caused it cause i was expecting diferent moves but it was in lag and i think the stance changed..... i was thinking it should be RCA+B but when i tried it there was nothing... unless again it was connections BS

its a nightmare with no move list.

on a second note i am going through the maxi maxi vid in the thread and makeing some notes and stuff ill write up and post anther time as its 130 am and in not even half done
Couldn’t agree more. However this vid is the most epic maxi vid on the planet!!

Watching this Im face palming my embarrassing maxi play

Credit @Marginal for the vid

Couldn’t agree more. However this vid is the most epic maxi vid on the planet!!

Watching this Im face palming my embarrassing maxi play

Credit @Marginal for the vid

this is the one that i said im going through working on. im about 20mins in with more combos and move notes to put in to a combo list as we go.

RC A+B in SCB is Sc2:Tiger Pounce

A Pay wall to Access normal moves.
Locking normal maxi moves behind a SCB Wall.. might as well just be Brave edge all over again

The secret A+B input in all Stances are all for show and nostalgia gimmicky but its a cool feature.

-A Very Simple FIX is to turn "A+B" into an Input Command for "Canyon Carve" making it function the same way "Wavering Lights" works.
So that during any stance opener you can input ["A+B" Canyon Carve].

well i kow that sc2 66A is the animation that seems to be RCA in sciv im talking about. how do you do it in SCVI. i have seen it in the vid and it comes from RC watch the first fight and youll see a SC 33bA~RC??? like you would do in the old SCIV after 4[A+B]>33bA~RCA

also i love the canyon carve idea that would be so useful

That Maxi ditto between Yin & Saitoh gave me some great ideas. That WL A LH at about 32 min in was NSFW sexy. Too bad he didn't full combo with it.

I think the input Twiggy is A+B (Tiger Pounce) during SC RC in sc6.

Is it me or is maxis WS game horrible now?

WS A is trash
WS B+K no longer knocks down and still goes in LI.
WS K is still WS K

WTF did the do to LI K? (Its very painful to agree with dustbuster)

Has some serious soul charge fun though.

Desperately need a practice mode, online is laggy garbage. SC4 type garbage

Those moves don't matter when you have 4AbAAB leading to a powerful NC.

OK, I can do a more in-depth analysis of the moves and gameplay in the maxi mirror and get some time stamps and clips together if people want it but here are some basic notes and a few other combos that I noticed. note this might sound a bit basic but it might help lower players too...

GENERAL
Same as all Maxi's movement is key, looking at the way both play there is a lot of control of space. Using tools like 66A+B_66A+B{B}, 33B_33bA~RC, 44A_44AB~RO and 4B~LO mix-ups to get in towards your opponent and then forcing pressure with moves like 6A~RO mix, B~RO mix, 4A mixups, 1K and 1B as well as basic punish from 6A+B. They use a lot of stance transitions (PSL1_PSL2~WL) this maintains a good mix up, however, obviously you need your opponent to respect the basic moves or these will not help greatly, a masher will just knock you out of a lot but if that is the case you probably do not need to loop... once people are scared of the basics you have them in the palm of your hand, using slightly less safe mix ups but as they fear the string you get the pressure off. Looking at the ranged game it seems to consist of moves like 22_88A, 44B, 66K, 3B, 1B, 4B, 66B+K whiff punish, CE whiff punish, nothing to over committal but at the same time having a lot of potential to strike when needed (CH 22_88A combos lead to big damage, 44B LH on highs, 1B range is deceptive and leaves you in RO, 3B is slow but the range is also great and offers a high w! at the right range) but on the whole you probably want to be in applying pressure more than trying to space someone out.

Also with spacing maxi has quite a lot of ring out tools for example ROK, RCK, BLKK, 3B, 6B+K, 4A+B the list can go on and on. be aware that in my opion maxi has some really good edge tools, do not just try to push for them if you are near the edge but dont be scared to take it if it is available.

Liberal use of 6A+B vs highs in strings 6A~ROA, 4B~LOBK (or anyone's high strings I'm just using maxi as I know his notations) as with SCV is going to be good looks like his TC in this move is very early, when in SC 6A+B as a punish is godlike but very stepable so do not just throw it out and pray. Also, WRB+K still has potential just not as much as SCV where it had amazing properties (there are at least 2 instances of WRB+K being used to punish SC BLKK which is really nice). I is also worth noting that Maxi has some great TJ moves to and some other tricks like hopping over a rolling enemy and landing for BT B+K.

Speaking of SC lets talk about his meter. Looking at the way it was used in the mirrors there are a few options:
1) CE to whiff punish. Sensible and strong way to stop random whiffs.
2) [CE]~ROK Combo extender, there are situations were this gives some serious bang for your buck but you gotta watch that scaling, sometimes it might be better to just finish the combo and use the bar on a CE or SC
3) SC, opening maxi's full move list and improving the damage potential and combo potential along with some better move properties (as I said before the distance on SC 6A+B is wow just do not whiff or you're eating a big hit)

All of these options are useful and are very situational, I can not say that there is any specific best meter use at this point, each has its own merits and potential depending on the opponent and the current set up.

Maxi has a lot of Guard crush move and can use this to really pressure someone on low armour or someone turtling off the top of my head he has (not including SC):
A+B
ROA[K]
RCAA
RCB
4[A+B] (free launch on the second hit as long as first is blocked)
22KK:K
BT B+K

It is important to constantly change your strings do not always RCAA as the second hit is high and you will get punished, 4B~LOBK same thing, just always mix it up, if someone is always trying to duck 6A~ROA use ROB and punish them. just keep it fresh and flowing do not try the same tricks more than once or twice without putting something else in to spice it up.

So far first impressions he feels like a more polished version of SCIV, a few more power tools from SCV, and a bit more simple than SCIV. Vs high tier with good knowledge the use of his stances should work out due to the fact that stance changes offer improved properties (ROB, LOK become LH etc)

COMBOS - my old list plus what I have seen and i will keep updating and tweaking (note some of these are unconfirmed-noted with ??? I will optimise in time and maybe break it down to starters mids and finishers as there are a lot that folw from one to another)

4AbAAB

3B:
ROA~BLB~RCB~LI
ROAK (slight delay) 2B+KB
ROA~BLKK
ROBB~RC

CH B:
ROAK
ROBB~RC
SC ROBB+RCA+B ???
SC ROAA+B~BLKK 44B~RC
SC ROAA+B~BLKK 44K is not combo but leads to good wake up frames and is force block +frames i think)
if B hits air then bG 66B+K is combo.

33bA:
SC RCA+B 2B+KB ???

4A+B_4[A+B]:
66B+K
33bA I CANNOT GET THIS TO LAND AND IT POTENTIALLY DOESN'T. NEEDS CHECKING OFFLINE IN LAB
44B~RCB
33B~BL

FC3A+B:
BLB~RC (RCB???)

CH22_88A (no stance):
6b+kG~RCAA~LIB
6B+K 6A+B
6[B+K] [CE]~ROK 2B+KB
6[B+K] [CE]~ROK 44B
66B+K
6A+B
SC 6A+B~LIB

CH22_88A~LI
LIKK [CE]~ROK 2B+KB
LIKK 6A+B
LIKK SC 6A+B~LIB ???

LIKK:
6A+B
[CE]~ROK 2B+KB

CH LOK:
6b+kG~RCAA~LIB
6B+K 6A+B
6[B+K] [CE]~ROK 2B+KB
66B+K
6A+B
SC 6A+B~LIB

CH RCAA:
LIB
LIA
PSL~LOBK

CH ROB:
BK
RCB ??

LH 44B:
RCB~LIB

LH LOK:
6b+kG~RCAA~LIB
6B+K 6A+B
6[B+K] [CE]~ROK 2B+KB
66B+K
6A+B
SC 6A+B~LIB

LH ROB:
RCB~LIB

LH WLA:
66B+K

SC 6A+B:
LIB
delay BLKK ???

well i kow that sc2 66A is the animation that seems to be RCA in sciv im talking about. how do you do it in SCVI. i have seen it in the vid and it comes from RC watch the first fight and youll see a SC 33bA~RC??? like you would do in the old SCIV after 4[A+B]>33bA~RCA

also i love the canyon carve idea that would be so useful
RC A+B turns into the SCIV variant in soul charge.

Last edited:
@twiggywales
Make it happen sir. Time stamps and all. Love this!!

OK, I will try to do something like this but it takes quite some time to get it all clipped ( i have used the gif maker to do these as they are clear and can be sped up or slowed down if needed). I am pretty busy with work so I am not sure how often I'll be able to do a fight but I will try to do a couple (I will do the first fight, one from the middle showing progression and one of the final ones as they get better and better as time goes on). I've done fight 1 now and ill see when I can get the rest done.

FIGHT 1:
Round 1:
During the first 25 seconds of the fight you see a lot of the tools previously discussed for playing at range and closing the gaps, these moves are AA, 22_88A, 33B, 33bA~RCK, 4B~LOBK and 1B~ROK, these are used throughout and are good however in later fights use of 66A+B and 44AB are used but I will cover them later), all the above moves have good range and are pretty safe when used with some common sense. In this first section at the 12s mark, we see the first use of PSL4 (backwards PSL, as I do not know what the game will call it and there is only forward and backwards makes sense to use PSL4 and PSL6 until we have the game in hand) (https://gfycat.com/AptShallowHuman). This is a good test to see if your opponent knows the strings and if they know their frames. If they do not then there is a good chance you will score a hit with your chosen follow up (a 2B in this case). clearly, both these guys know what they are doing.
Following this you see a little close range sparing, a whiffed GI attempt gets punished with the new maxi A+B standing GC, followed by a nice CH 6A~ROAK Throw to a 4[A+B] wake up, (https://gfycat.com/GrimBareChinchilla) this is a great way to close out the round. 6A, although being high, is one of his fastest moves and the CH leads to spin stun. From there a throw is a good option, the throw leaves you in a great spot to try close the round. Many will panic for a low to finish (as seen when Yin blocks low in anticipation) this gives more than enough time to charge the 4[A+B] for an unblockable finish.

Round 2:
Round 2 starts with a 66B4 this is one of my old favourite moves and it seems the hit priority is still high with this move as it eats Yins 4B (https://gfycat.com/QualifiedFlimsyKagu) the fight continues much in the same way as the previous round until we have our first example of one of the bigger hitting combos, a blocked 33bA leads to a CH RCAA~LIB. if this move had been a little closer to the edge it would have caused a ring out, however, in this case, it just dealt a large amount of damage. This was quickly followed by another 33bA move. This time as SC 33bA~RC[A+B] (https://gfycat.com/NextInsistentChevrotain) this is a really oppressive tool causing good chip and looks to leave you in a very good position. The round is closed out with one of Maxi's impressive looking SC combos, SC CH 6A~ROAA+B~BLKK (https://gfycat.com/LeafyTenseHerculesbeetle) The BLKK would have picked him off the ground had the round not ended there.

Round 3:
Round 3 has similar movement and moves to the previous 2 rounds (this does change later but I will highlight that when we come to it in later rounds) at 1:34s we see how stepable 6A+B is and some really random whiff of RE (https://gfycat.com/BouncyOptimisticKitten) this was punished with a 2A+B, if you see an opportunity always take it. Shortly after this, we see excellent use of WRB+K to duck the ROA after FC3AAA~RO (https://gfycat.com/SmartConcernedClownanemonefish). This is a sensible choice as ROA is more commonly used due to the speed and could also potentially avoid the ROB (I do not know how well it tracks or if it to fast but it's just a thought).
After some more back and forth we have the first use of the RE mechanic to counter a string, (https://gfycat.com/UntriedGiddyAzurevasesponge) this case is actually won by Yin leaving him in an optimal position to take the 3rd round which he does with a ranged 66K > 1B (https://gfycat.com/CapitalDefiniteDuck)

Round 4:
The first thing we see in this round is the use of CE to whiff punish a 66B (https://gfycat.com/MasculineGlitteringFritillarybutterfly) this makes sense as the bar is full and gives a good chunk of damage to start the round. We see some really nice range play with 22_88A fishing and also a nice 66B+K whiff punish, followed by some good close up play with a really nice WRB~LO PSL4~BLKK after ducking a throw attempt (https://gfycat.com/AnimatedWeakDungbeetle). After a close fight, the round and fight are finally closed out with a 6A~RO WLKK (https://gfycat.com/VibrantRequiredFinnishspitz), this move is a surprisingly fast and effective low.

Well done, Twiggy. All of this data will help begin forging the Maxi meta. Also, I'm really feeling the juicy combos this char has going on in this game.

yo this maxi is wild 33bA mix ups are insane and RC A[A]~LO is so dirty for combo extensions maxi Ring out / wall game got huge buff def gonna love it. Lethal Hit on B+K JF for those who are good they will be rewarded its fun baiting people into trying old punishes just to aGI them for buttloads of dmg def love this maxi. 4A+B hold damage post GI is bonkers like half life with CE even more + Wall i got a couple on my vods over on twitch.

Made a Doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xcyS4ppTOmjShG20XTuGnnyiVNw54KWAsNPeD_QBHno/edit?usp=sharing

yo this maxi is wild 33bA mix ups are insane and RC A[A]~LO is so dirty for combo extensions maxi Ring out / wall game got huge buff def gonna love it. Lethal Hit on B+K JF for those who are good they will be rewarded its fun baiting people into trying old punishes just to aGI them for buttloads of dmg def love this maxi. 4A+B hold damage post GI is bonkers like half life with CE even more + Wall i got a couple on my vods over on twitch.
I can't open the doc from work, so maybe my question is already addressed, but would you consider making a B+K B B B A tutorial? I recall you having solid execution in earlier SC games. This is high up on my SC bucket list of things to master.

Reactions: IRM
Back