Maxi Match-up Discussion

I tested again and I picked Mitsurugi to try to punish, Cervantes' aB is punishable by B+K wich is i18, but not 4A wich is i19

I think 4B is our best option if we are not sure about the distance here and we lack of CE

I'm gonna have to recheck that again :p

I'm gonna have to recheck that again :p

Yeah check it. Because just from matchup experience against Hates Cervy, I punish that move consistently with 4B. Problem is, depending on the range, you might only land 4B and the LO B will whiff. If you were close enough when you blocked it then both hits will connect. Also remember that if Cervy is close to a wall or he does the move while really close to you you're extended range 6A+B BE into LI A BE can teach him a serious lesson, especially if the LI A happens to be a clean hit.

I block intelligently and then counterattack w/ 6A+B. Once he is on the ground....its all over for em (2A+B, 1K, 6A+B, 44B, throw, 1B mix-ups)

Bare with me here because I don't know the commands for sig's moves but I'm gonna give it a shot. Bread and butter with most Sig's I fight are lows. Particular low to look for is the low sweep kick while the sword is behind his back. All other lows are typically strung in with his combos. Most are very easy to read. Only other real threat in my opinion is his boot to the face from his sword behind back stance. Shut those moves down and you shut down most of the scrubby Sig's online.
The pesky part is the smarter Seigs who start in with mid hell once you start trying to anticipate the lows.

The pesky part is the smarter Seigs who start in with mid hell once you start trying to anticipate the lows.
If you're versing a good person then you've got other problems. There are only about 2 other incidents you have to worry about non low mixups. From a few stances they can pull out a quick kick, a thrust with the butt of his sword, and I think there is another but once you get hit once just memorize the stance and anticipate the mix up. Block and kill.

How about the match-up with Natsu and Alpha Pat ? Any advice ?
Maybe their speed make me fear

When you go up against Natsu just use 6A+B constantly. Don't ever let a Natsu get off any bombs or possession attacks, as far as I've seen 6A+B beats the bombs and any of the possession attacks I've seen used against me. It seems like Natsu doesn't have any lows that you can't see coming a mile away, or at least none I've seen used against me. This is good, it makes it really easy to just stand there and wait for that opening for punishment.

Py and O.Py has been quite a bitch to fight....

Pyrhha is like Sophie fight her accordingly. Same old strong basics etc. Her 66B BE is her scary move, JG it or step to her left if you're fast enough. Punish 1K with WS B if you ever manage to block. The rest is filler.

Its better to just step Pyrrha's 66B BE by blocking 66B itself, then double tapping and buffering a step while you recover from block stun. You can step it both directions this way, i just stepped it to her right last time i was using Voldo and Maxi's step seems better.

Why go through the hassle of stepping then punish when we can just WS B+K punish for combo for a good amount of damage?

Why go through the hassle of stepping then punish when we can just WS B+K punish for combo for a good amount of damage?

I can't wait to try this out! I gotta get used to doing it in practice mode for now. Come to think of it, are there any other double hitting BEs that Maxi can use WS B+K to get around the second hit? Voldo's double hitting BEs and Astaroth's bullrush BE comes to mind. I seriously need to hit training mode.

I agree with you hotnikkelz, its definitely more convenient and theres less risk to take.

But i was playing around with WS B+K against blocked Pyrrha 66B BE in practice mode and if you do WS B+K into 44 BE and RO with it, Pyrrha takes the round everytime. So am i doing something wrong ?

You can't Ring Out with BL K BE if you are too close from the limit of the ring, or Maxi will lose, because he technically Ring Out himself before the opponent :p

Step
B+K jf BT B+K
Profit :D

I think that in Soul Calibur, you have to optimize your punishment, all of them, using the right amount of BE, the right attack and the space (R.O. or Wall combo)
The okizeme is important aswell

You can't hope to win just by your technical level on a game like this because the technical level is very low (apart for some JF and JG, there is nothing that is really HARD to do in SC5), and you can't relay only on your mind game because it's always risky (even if sometimes the only risk you take is to do no profit, it's still a risk)

So it's important not to just punish your opponent, but to punish it with the best option you can use depending on your knowledge, reflexe and skill

And I think that it's one of the ways in which you can improve your game

Back