Microsoft is a bunch of idiots...

Jaxel

Administrator
Stop me if you've heard this one before... I'll keep on going, because you haven't...
http://getsatisfaction.com/microsof...gamertags_linked_to_deleted_windows_live_ids2

Many years ago, when Microsoft bought Hotmail, they decided to use the hotmail system and build MSN around it. What they created is now called WLID, or Windows Live ID Passport. The idea behind this system was to have a universal login between all Microsoft services; the same thing that Yahoo does and what Google does. It has ALWAYS been a shitty concept, proven by Yahoo, who has consistant login problems between all their services... Since proven by Google, that tells me I can't create an adsense account because it already exists, only to tell me that my adsense account doesn't exist when I try to log into it...

So when my old MSN account switched to this WLID system, I stopped using it. Now, lets fast forward many years... I have the Xbox Gamertag "Jaxelrod"... I've had it for years... even though I don't have an Xbox, I've used the tag for other functions, such as my Zune. Because of Microsoft's WLID system, every account on the Xbox actually is TWO accounts... it is an Xbox Live account, and then it has a Windows Live ID Passport used to log into that XBL account.

Even at this point you can see the logic is flawed... in order to log into your XBL account, you need to log into your WLID account first, which then logs into your XBL account. The idea of having two services, which are maintained by two completely seperate departments, that have absolutely no communication with each other is just assanine... So whats the problem? XBL accounts never expire; you create the account, and then your 360 breaks. So now, you've gone 2 years without a 360. But its okay, your XBL account still exists! All your assets are still intact! Yay!

WRONG! Your XBL account still exists, but your WLID Passport does not! WLID accounts expire after 4 months of inactivity. Already, you should be thinking to yourself, "without a WLID, how do you log into your XBL account?". Well... you can't. In order to log into your XBL account, you need your WLID Passport, which is gone. You can link your Xbox Live account to a new WLID account, but that requires you to log into your XBL account... which you can't do, since the WLID account linked to it has expired.

The solution? Create a new WLID account right? Not much of a solution; since XBL accounts NEVER expire, that means your gamertag and all assets linked to it are lost forever. You can never access your old gamertag again; and Microsoft tech support can't do anything about it. Since WLID and XBL are two different services, run by two completely different departments, that have no communication with each other, the XBL department can't make changes to your WLID account, and the WLID department can't make changes to your XBL account.

A complete clusterfuck of a situation.

So wait, I haven't logged into my XBL account for a good 4-5 months. Does this mean I'm going to have to get a whole new gamertag and such?

That is indeed a blunder... single sign-on really is a great idea, just it's implementation requires good integration - and unfortunately there are too many examples of bad integration.

~Troop

something you can't access of yours, Jaxel?

greatone: no, your gamertag is fine so long as its on your xbox.

But you can't recover it on another xbox without your email and password.
Which has been deleted.
So indeed a clusterfuck. I wish I could've helped more, Jaxel. :C
This reminds me of another microsoft failure.
A 360 red ringed once upon a time, and instead of repairing it, they sent a replacement.
Now the replacement red rings, but the old serial number doesn't work because it's registered to someone else, and the new serial number doesn't work because it's still registered to the previous owner? The solution? Spend a couple hundred bucks to buy a new system. GGs Microsoft. GGs.

But you can't recover it on another xbox without your email and password.
Which has been deleted.
So indeed a clusterfuck. I wish I could've helped more, Jaxel. :C
This reminds me of another microsoft failure.
A 360 red ringed once upon a time, and instead of repairing it, they sent a replacement.
Now the replacement red rings, but the old serial number doesn't work because it's registered to someone else, and the new serial number doesn't work because it's still registered to the previous owner? The solution? Spend a couple hundred bucks to buy a new system. GGs Microsoft. GGs.

Have they fixed the red ring of death yet??

LOL they never will. that system has been out for about 3 years and still it has a 50% chance for it to red ring...lol I still do not see why people like this console.

wow, that sucks. 4 being as smart as he is, you'd think stupid things like that wouldn't happen with his products/services. I never bought an xbox in the 1st place due to the fact that i'd rather not support his corporation, he's got enough money already. The greedy bastard already dominates the computer industry, now he wants to try his hand in the video game industry, give me a break.

Microsoft doesn't care about the quality of the 360.
Clearly people are buying it despite the RRoD.
Microsoft is like "lol people are still buying it, so we don't havta fix it!"

lol I still do not see why people like this console.

yo I GOTZ to haf mah haloz, gears, n call o dutys, son!

Only reasons my 360 is not in the trash can...
1. Xbox Live Friends List
2. Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2

Personally, I do like my PS3 and PC better...Damn 4 year established friend's list.

If this is true Sony & Nintendo is screwed..Madden only on the 360

EA owns the NFL lincense so that would mean Nintendo and Sony couldn't make their own football games.
However, the thing is EA makes more than just sports games now, for example the burnout series. We're talking about a ton of software exclusive to 360 only.

Personally I always thought MS was the worst thing that ever happen to the gaming industry...if this hits...well it was fun while it lasted.

Back