Missing character discussion

Especially Ashlotte. If they weren't going to have Bangoo in there as a decent counterpart to Astaroth, then they should have had someone else with a bit of relation to him.
IDEA: Old Astaroth shows up and meets the new one, the both of them get incredibly pissed in the midst of a new and very crazy identity crisis, and duke it out. New arena is the destruction that the two of them left.
Id actually prefer Asholotte over Rock for so many reasons.
- Shes the closest thing to a friend or ally he has. She can control him.
- She can be the end to Maxi's 20 year revenge story ifshe told him the truth.
- She is involved with the creator of Astraroth.
- She can appear in any time skip of SC being non-human,
- She was the most unique of all the recently knew characterd for being a living doll as presented in her derpy animations.
- Shes not designed to be oversexualized.
- Rock was never relevent to the plot.

Rock was never relevent to the plot.
But then again, more than half of the characters in SCV were not relevant to the plot either. Hell, Mitsurugi has never really been relevant to the plot (except for maybe his one interaction with Setsuka).

And besides, Rock is a classic character design using a key persona of medieval Europe that is very often forgotten: The barbarian. This series needs to go back to it's roots design wise, it's stepping a bit too much into the anime/WoW-fantasy territory, losing the multicultural historical edge that made it unique in the first place. Designs like Rock are great for this, while anime nonsense designs like ZWEI ruin the interesting new fighting styles that they represent.

That said, I actually think that Asholotte has some potential as a Soul Calibur character, just not as a heavyweight character like Rock and Astaroth. I'll elaborate on this when I have more time.

But then again, more than half of the characters in SCV were not relevant to the plot either. Hell, Mitsurugi has never really been relevant to the plot (except for maybe his one interaction with Setsuka).

And besides, Rock is a classic character design using a key persona of medieval Europe that is very often forgotten: The barbarian. This series needs to go back to it's roots design wise, it's stepping a bit too much into the anime/WoW-fantasy territory, losing the multicultural historical edge that made it unique in the first place. Designs like Rock are great for this, while anime nonsense designs like ZWEI ruin the interesting new fighting styles that they represent.

That said, I actually think that Asholotte has some potential as a Soul Calibur character, just not as a heavyweight character like Rock and Astaroth. I'll elaborate on this when I have more time.
I agree with this post 100%.

I loved Ashlotte. Her story was canon, she has respect about her looks(like Hilde), and she had an interesting design. As for Rock, I agree that his design is the kind SC needs to stick to.

Regarding Zwei, he'd be way less anime-esque if he wore time-appropriate clothing, like Siegfried's get-up. And Ein looking more like a spirit rather than a robot.

I think people wouldn't be so pissed about missing characters if the new characters weren't such stupid designs.

This is just my opinion, but I think somewhere in the past they lost the ability to create cool movesets.

I pretty much hate all the new styles in terms of moveset design, and I don't really care for the replacement characters either. They all seem less dynamic, less fun.

So because of this, I think it would have been far wiser for PS to tweak old veteran styles to freshen them up a bit, and MAYBE add in one brand new style, instead of dropping so many popular styles, or replacing them (Natsu, etc.).

The 17 year time skip was unnecessary as well, and was just an excuse to drop characters because they were too lazy to properly balance the low tiers from previous games. Instead, they got the axe.

There are tons of people who miss Talim, or just the style itself. Same goes for many other characters. I just don't see the new characters being as popular as the old vets.

For some reason, they thought it was a better idea to have 3 Sword and shield styles, then to include all the vets.

The roster pretty much sucks in this game. I don't feel like Viola, Zwei, or Algol fit very well into this game. I also despise all the anime influence this game got shoved into it.

The thing is, the next game will probably be even worse in terms of roster.

I think people wouldn't be so pissed about missing characters if the new characters weren't such stupid designs.
No. I'd be pissed at how they dropped Rock and Zasalamel anyways.

This is just my opinion, but I think somewhere in the past they lost the ability to create cool movesets
Patroklos is a cool moveset, Ivy, Voldo, and Hilde are almost a new characters. And ZWEI is actually a cool and fitting moveset, they just nerfed him way too hard.
I pretty much hate all the new styles in terms of moveset design, and I don't really care for the replacement characters either. They all seem less dynamic, less fun.
Agreed on the replacements. And while the new styles could have been a lot better, saying you hate them seems a bit too far fetched. I used to think this way about Viola until I started playing her (and while I still think she's broken, she's not by any means a poorly designed character).
So because of this, I think it would have been far wiser for PS to tweak old veteran styles to freshen them up a bit, and MAYBE add in one brand new style, instead of dropping so many popular styles, or replacing them (Natsu, etc.).
A a 40 year old Xianghua or cASSandra would have sucked just as much as Natsu.
The 17 year time skip was unnecessary as well, and was just an excuse to drop characters because they were too lazy to properly balance the low tiers from previous games. Instead, they got the axe.
No. The time skip was exactly what SC needed, they just did it wrong. The whole point of a time skip is that everyone changes dramatically and many new characters are introduced (see: Tekken 3).
There are tons of people who miss Talim, or just the style itself. Same goes for many other characters. I just don't see the new characters being as popular as the old vets.

This is true.
I also despise all the anime influence this game got shoved into it.
Also agreed.
The thing is, the next game will probably be even worse in terms of roster.
What makes you think this? What if they listen to their customers and deliver what we want? What if Namco gives PS the money they need to use the time skip to its full potential? They will do this only if people quit complaining about everything and present their arguments in a convincing way that isn't a pain to read (because nobody likes to hear random people rant about how much their product sucks).

I miss Talim (>T^T)
But on the other hand, I enjoy using Zwei. I sorta agree that it seemed REAL weird and awkward with the whole Ein summoning thing in the beginning when he was first announced so when I tried out the entire roster, I actually had him somewhere in the last trials. But he is SO MUCH FUN. I've come to appreciate and love his moveset and no, it's not just gimmicks. Ein delays, pressuring and guard breaking as well as spacing with him is very enjoyable. Omg the setups lol.

So I'll say that I can see Project Soul's creativity when it came to Viola and Zwei because not only is it so different, it's fun, original and a breath of fresh air. Viola was actually fine with the pre-patch dmg and if the infinite was removed, then there's nothing wrong with her. Zwei's just underused and he's not bad. Kerrigan proved it by winning 2nd place at EBO I believe. So they did a pretty good job with those two in my opinion. (It's FUNNER than some of the veterans. Cough-Raph-cough)
*Ok... maybe Zwei's 1p is alittle weird. But at least he has a cool 2p :D
*Did I mention I miss Talim? x)

I miss Sophitia...............and Cassandra (Not Lang level)
I think is because sometimes even if they are not real we are, so we attach ourselves to things that don't really live, like a book or a game yes, I don't blame the people that are angry, the fact that PS just "got cold" towards them just angered them more.
PS just got wrong this time give them another chance to make right, I mean could be worse, like Final Fantasy XIII that became the whole world of the series, Final Fantasy fans can't stand the new director not because he is bad, they don't like him because he don't care to keep the tradition, I mean Final Fantasy XIII need to go, like every FF before him.
PS I'm sure, they will work harder in Soul Calibur VI.

I miss Cassandra too ( sorry don't really miss Sophitia ) I think one thing that Namco did very very wrong on this game is the story, they set the story 17 years later then SCIV, and never give us" FACTS" about what happen between these 17 years. They only gave us little parts of what had happened. Think about this 17 years later, tuns of characters would grow old, a lot of woman characters would be gone because usually in games woman over 40 or near 40 would be consider as "OLD" that's why they are missing so many characters. But one thing that made me pissed of the most is not the game suck, is the attitude of this company. "They want to shot down the soul series because they think we don't like this series anymore", they also said that " it is our own problem that we think this game suck and are pissed off ". And they even said " they don't know why we are pissed of, this is the greatest game that we had ever made, gamers now make us so dissapointed, I can't believe most gamers now would complain about a wonderful game like this, I don't see anything that we've done wrong on this game" . What kind of fucking attitude is that, you created a game that sucks ( well maybe it's not that bad but I this this game sucks ) and now you are saying that it is our problem?

I wonder how people would react if there was a weapon based fighting game with an accurate 15th-16th century roster. Lol

No females whatsoever because females didn't fight then.

It looks like Namco didn't really want to make a SCVI, I'm kind of sad to hear that.........

I don't think its completely unlikely that Soul Calibur VI will be made. I believe for 2012 it is their second best selling game after Tekken Tag Tournament 2. It also sold over 1 million copies, though it was a big drop from IV.

I don't think its completely unlikely that Soul Calibur VI will be made. I believe for 2012 it is their second best selling game after Tekken Tag Tournament 2. It also sold over 1 million copies, though it was a big drop from IV.
Well I get this information from the official Japanies web site of Namco, may they are just tring to terrified us, I don't know. But what Namco said about how the Gamers suck was a really big news in that website ( remember it's the Japaneies official website ) and by the way it didn't actually sailed over 1 milion coppies, they made that number out just so to make more people to buy their things, they only soled 90 thousand coppies. One of my friend his dad is part of the SC creation team and he told me that. I'm not saying that your wrong about this, I'm just telling you what I know and the informations that I have about this game. Oh and the second best selling game was actually one of the Naruto games, SCV was actually number 4 or 5.

- She can be the end to Maxi's 20 year revenge story ifshe told him the truth.
Maxi isn't even paying Astaroth duds in SCV. His main attention is the Asian group.
- Shes not designed to be oversexualized.
I know you are speaking compared to the other females, but how does this relate to your Ashlotte>Rock argument.
- Rock was never relevent to the plot.
Rock had just as much relevancy as everyone else did in SB, and if we go in present terms, Astaroth is essentially a "jobber" in the plot. You think Ashlotte's presence would help that?

Besides comparing Ashlotte to Rock, while excluding Astaroth, who Ashlotte's moveset was closer to in SCIV, is pretty redundant.

I wonder how people would react if there was a weapon based fighting game with an accurate 15th-16th century roster. Lol

Accuracy makes games boring as sin. This is my main reason for not playing many games that try to emphasize realism. Imagine... a fighting game with life-emulating physics. How boring.

Also lulz at the second part. :p So true, in most cases...

Accuracy makes games boring as sin. This is my main reason for not playing many games that try to emphasize realism. Imagine... a fighting game with life-emulating physics. How boring.

You guys need to play Chivalry then.

Back