My first impressions on SoulCalibur II HD Online

Bear in mind, I'm having a blast because once you get a good connection you get five (or three... ggrrrrrr) rounds of what is in my opinion the best fighter ever, but the UI for this game would be unacceptable in 2001.

-hooks up ps2 with 480i/p HD cords to HDTV and inserts SC2- im not dropping 20 bucks on anything till i see some patches. im quite content with my ps2 orginal 1st day copy thats still in good working condition. and looks great in full 480p and doesnt have unbalaced euro version programming :)

Weird..... Today, the connection is as good as SC5 online. Some of matches with my friend is like playing offline play.

I have a question for those who have bought SCII HD. I really enjoy the series and had high hopes for this iteration, but after hearing about peoples experience with SCII HD I am not so sure I should get it.

My question is should I get SC II HD, or SC V. The factors that are important to me are netcode, how easy it is to find a game and overall fun factor.

Thanks!

I have a question for those who have bought SCII HD. I really enjoy the series and had high hopes for this iteration, but after hearing about peoples experience with SCII HD I am not so sure I should get it.

My question is should I get SC II HD, or SC V. The factors that are important to me are netcode, how easy it is to find a game and overall fun factor.

Thanks!
SCII HD has a lot more people playing at the moment, but the net code is very laggy when compared to SCV. If you are on PSN, SCV will DC more than SCII HDO.

Thanks!

Save your money for the better game, not SC2 HDO, until they realease a free pacth to fix all their SHIT.

If you wanna play online, SCV is a better choise but only on Xbox Live.

Thanks!

Both games are great, I´ll begin with that

The actual problem with SC2 HD for now seems to be a not so good netcode. Personally my games sometimes goes well, but yeah, it has problems and its netcode is worse than SC5. Plus, it has little online modes compared to SC5 and in that way I´m very disappointed (the game lacks of basic things like making a single lobby), but on the other hand, since is new you probably will find people at any hour. Besides, a very good thing about the online of this game is that if finds people really quick.

SC5 still has a lot of people playing at least in Xbox Live, I just came from playing there and when I tried to enter in the New York room I saw it 95% of it´s capacity, there was a lot of people chatting and fightning each other, I feel good the game is still so alive (but here depends on the hour, in the morning is more hard to find people). Also this game, like I said, has more and better online modes, and a better netcode too.

So I don´t know, there are good thing in both, I guess you´ll have to read and think wich one suits better for you, but personally I would say you would have more fun in SC5 if you´re looking more for online battle.

Wow, thank you so much for the replies! At this moment I think I maybe leaning towards SC V, but I will probably wait maybe a week before making the purchase to see if the lag issue settles, or perhaps mention of a patch.

If you guys have anymore advice, please let me know.

Thanks again!

You're kidding right? You are just lucky. I played a lagging Kilik and lost to BB spam because I couldn't sidestep his crap, or GI, or even run up and block.

Granted, most matches can be playable, like SC4 online playable, but hardly state of the art like Namco said this would be.

Yeah I agree. These people claiming they have no problem obviously don't play the game or didn't play the game competitively enough to know that there are lag issues in every match. I can hardly ever do taki's PORC in ANY match. When I do successfully do it, its delayed and causes me to do some other stupid shit out of PO. I think the real problem is that SC2 was never designed to be played online unlike SC4 and SC5. SC2 requires a little bit stricter timing and raw reflex than its sequels. Lag just totally destroys that ability in almost every match. Now if you know some kind of gimmicky string with say Yun Seoung (soulxsociety), you can just mash out the same string over and over and not be punished because the moves you should be able punish him with on block with AA or BB are rendered usless online. Therefore you are reduced to blocking or eating counter after counter trying to interrupt the string. By the way you might as well not even try to use step. If you step something its a total lucky guess.

That sounds pretty condescending dude. Any goof can tell you if there's input delay or not and for me and a few others there isn't. I mean if you're playing online then yeah there's gonna be a tiny bit of lag no matter what game you play but when I press a button it comes up on the screen pretty much right away.

Most of the people I run into just mash one set of moves over and over, and I abuse them for it. I have run into a few decent players though. No point in mind games if the other person is just mashing buttons...
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who has been running into this online, except I literally run into people like that 24/7. I think I've fought about 2 good players out of 50 or so.

I keep getting matched up will smelly Americans and the odd Mexican so chance of me having a soild game are low. Played a French guy though and it was smooth but not perfect like TTT2 or SC5.

Tried playing online and experienced horrible lag, glad to see I'm not the only one. I've had literally 0 fluid matches out of ~12 so far. Every match has had over 1 second of delay, which has lead me to just input strings and hope they land. If this wasn't frustrating enough, the majority of my matches have been as Wombat said, lag fests against Kilik spam, which I could do nothing to stop.
You're kidding right? You are just lucky. I played a lagging Kilik and lost to BB spam because I couldn't sidestep his crap, or GI, or even run up and block.

Will we know soon some info of how it´s selling?

Even with all the trouble, I still hope it´s selling well, I want it to show Namco that SC has potential.

Will we know soon some info of how it´s selling?

Even with all the trouble, I still hope it´s selling well, I want it to show Namco that SC has potential.
It's very hard to get sales info on digital releases. Unless it's such a huge success that Namco decides to brag about it with a press release, I doubt we'll hear anything official at all.

Depending on how the leaderboards are set up, they can be used to get a general idea what the sales could be.

Am I the only one not having any of the problems other people are? I've played like 15 or so matches and only had lag in a couple of them. No matter what there's gonna be at least a tiny bit of lag because you're playing online but for the most part I can't notice it. My only real gripe with the game is no team battle and extra arcade for online. Maybe they can add that with a later patch though. I'm pretty happy with this game so far.
That depends on the time of day you play. If you're in the US and on when Europe is awake, you will get painful matches since the matching is a joke.

If you manage to hit a time when most of the people you play are exclusive to your region, the game isn't as annoying.

I also have come to believe that the matching options do nothing in regards to the actual match making. Set it to 5, set it to one, it nets you the same results.

@Ignited Soul, I'd suggest that you go for SCV as it's $5 cheaper and offers a way better online experience overall. It'd be best to wait on SC2 until it comes down in price.

I'm liking it. I didn't think they were going to port the whole game so I was gladly shocked when I saw museum and weapons master mode. As for as netplay, I haven't experience any problems. I've heard rumors that you cant create rooms on the PS3 version. That true? I mean I havent yet but I saw the "Create Room" option on 360.
Overall I'm having fun. I would love to say that this is the definitive version of the game.
If only there was a Wii U port with Link...

Back