NCR 10 Top 8 Videos By iPlayWinner

iPlayWinner has uploaded to their YouTube channel the top 8 matches from NorCal Regionals for Soulcalibur V, which was one of the hypest finals that I've seen so far for this game.

If you happened to miss the live broadcast, you can find the videos in this playlist, and the videos for finals embedded after the break.

Video Playlist
iPlayWinner
YouTube
NorCal Regionals

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, but that's the thing isn't it. His behavior was within the rules. I can agree that people can view him as a jerk or simply just a competitor. But that's just our opinions, and it doesn't really matter.

I have this crazy idea that you should treat other human beings with respect, and that just because something is allowed doesn't mean you should do it. You are totally right that we have our own opinions - I just find it pretty wild that people think that being shitty to another person is a okay thing, and furthermore promote it as a brilliant tactic.

This is the competitive scene; anyone who gets booty tickled over a little shit talkin', should stay online where they can rage in solitude at the comfort of their couch.

Great games, glad Malice posted this. Hope everyone enjoyed the stream.

Ignoring any booty tickling, the stream really was great. Maybe I'm biased, but I thought your Astaroth matches were pretty awesome. Nice showing out there, and I hope we have a chance to play each other sometime in the future.

To be fair, Alex was being like that towards everyone that morning. He was just in the zone. NFK just happened to be more sensitive to all the hype.

This sort of discussion is precisely why I appreciate Alex's antics. SC gameplay without movement is not really compelling to watch, but Alex was polarizing and over-the-top enough to give many would-be neutral parties a relatively strong rooting interest one way or another, which is precisely what we need. I believe competitive play is always better when it takes place within the context of heroes and villains.

Psychological warfare is as valid a tactic as any. Ali is revered as the greatest of all time, after all.

I believe competitive play is always better when it takes place within the context of heroes and villains.
Always.

All that's missing is metal ladders, folding chairs, and a nice belt.

The way I say it, you could be the stone cold killer like Link, or the pop-off king like Alex. Both can intimidate the CRAP out of your opponent if you play your cards right.

Mindgames, baby.

Im all for some shit talk, stare downs and obnoxious victory fist pumps to get into your opponents head, but at the grand finals for a major you shouldn't just get out of your seat go take a walk and come back whenever you please.

Next thing you know people are gonna be leaving in between rounds to get a soda, take piss, smoke a "round victory!" cigarette... Im exaggerating of course, but you catch my drift.

That being said it was an AWESOME stream and amazing finals and grand-finals. Congrats to NFK and all placers!

The bottom line is this, you do whatever it takes to win. Whether it's running your mouth to someone you know it will affect negatively, or ignoring the idiot who is talking shit to you. All these people who are whining and bitching about sportsmanship, show up to one of these tournaments (I noticed those complaining are those who have never showed up anywhere) and show how it's supposed to be done. As it was said earlier, Link has shown it. He's known as the Silent assassin. Imaging what it would look like if Link just finished beating someone's ass and they get to running their mouth. He'd just look at them and beat their ass again, making them look more of the dumbass.

I'm tired of all these people putting their little two cents in and then not contribute in any way but posting their little opinions on this forum. NO ONE there had a problem with it. Even NoFace who was playing the fucking game just said, "He's weird, can I get some headphones?" He did what he needed to do to win. That's all that matters. AND YES IN A COMPETITIVE FIGHTING ENVIRONMENT THAT IS ALL THAT FUCKING MATTERS...WINNING.

And as far as getting out of his seat and prancing around the stage, is there any complaint if someone runs down to go get some advice from a team mate or anything of that nature? Fuck no. Because it doesn't tap into that insecurity that all these people are being reminded of, when they got their ass beat and this incident is making them re-live the embarrassment of being clowned WHEN THEY LOST.

Okay end of my rant on non-existant whiners who really should have no opinion since they weren't there and no idea what the feeling in the room was.

If you don't wanna read all that let me sum it up... shut the fuck up, stop whining, show up and shut those people who run their fucking mouth
up, and play Calibur bitches! I'm out!

I have this crazy idea that you should treat other human beings with respect, and that just because something is allowed doesn't mean you should do it. You are totally right that we have our own opinions - I just find it pretty wild that people think that being shitty to another person is a okay thing, and furthermore promote it as a brilliant tactic.
Glad there's someone in here with a shred of human decency.

I guess what Aris said was true. The FGC is just full of assholes. He thinks that's charming. I don't.

I'm tired of all these people putting their little two cents in and then not contribute in any way but posting their little opinions on this forum. NO ONE there had a problem with it. Even NoFace who was playing the fucking game just said, "He's weird, can I get some headphones?" He did what he needed to do to win. That's all that matters. AND YES IN A COMPETITIVE FIGHTING ENVIRONMENT THAT IS ALL THAT FUCKING MATTERS...WINNING.
I remember one time back in the 90's watching an Indians game against the White Sox. Frank Thomas was on 2nd or something, there was a base hit, and he was trying to score. Well the outfielder had him thrown out by a mile, and Sandy Alomar was standing in front of the plate with the ball and Thomas was probably still a full 10 feet away. Now Alomar was no small guy, but if you remember, Thomas was built like a mountain.

Could he have plowed him the ever-living f*** over and possibly knocked the ball out of his hand (probably by TKO)? Yeah. Likely putting Alomar on the DL for the rest of the year, if not ending his career.

Would that have been entirely allowable in the rules? Yep.

Did he do it? NO

After that, I became a fan of Frank Thomas, even though I didn't really like the White Sox. That's how a true sportsman behaves.

(I noticed those complaining are those who have never showed up anywhere)
Okay, ya got me. But Srayer? Srayer has never shown up anywhere? Whatever bro.

Finally:
Based on posts in this thread and what I saw on the Tourney vid, and remembering Srayer's performance in Tulsa when I went ages ago. Threw myself on here for the hell of it.
gamerchartsc5.jpg

I enjoy the theatre of rivalry and have long wished there was more professional wrestling inspired style/beef... as long as everyone remembers at the end of the day its kept with the microcosm of the tournament and the moment.

I have no problem with what AlexJ did; but personally at the end of the tournament something to the effect of him shaking NFK's hand, turning around and raising NFK's hand up in victory while walking away so NFK could receive his just reward and praise would've been better.

Heels are fantastic in the correct microcosm- just don't take it outside that.

STFU is a pro sport clause. Football (The actual football that you play with your feet, not Brown Lemon Tossing) matches obviously excluded but in any respectable sport, see Tennis, the audience and the competitors are required to not communicate in a way that could influence the match.
If I were in charge of these tournaments, I'd find a way to separate the competitors with a wall and give them both headphones at the very least so they can't hear the crowd's hype.
Not behaving like a jackass, I firmly believe, is an important part of good sportsmanship, no matter what contradictory examples past Forza Milan vs Arsenal matches may give.

(The actual football that you play with your feet, not Brown Lemon Tossing)
LMAO

Not behaving like a jackass, I firmly believe, is an important part of good sportsmanship, no matter what contradictory examples past Forza Milan vs Arsenal matches may give.
LOL, you eurofags and your soccer. The Canadians are pretty nuts with their hockey too. I think only Americans can have their sports team lose and not go on a murderous rampage. (Cleveland is a prime example. We've been bottling it up for over 50 years).

you eurofags
I refuse being called a cigarette, sir.

Americans can have their sports team lose and not go on a murderous rampage.
I hate it too. But at least it's harder to own firearms on this side of the puddle and my children are less likely to get shot dead while I'm 9 to 5ing it than yours.
Angry people go to football matches here and usually don't have their guns.

I refuse being called a cigarette, sir.
lol, ok sorry.

I hate it too. But at least it's harder to own firearms on this side of the puddle and my children are less likely to get shot dead while I'm 9 to 5ing it than yours.
Angry people go to football matches here and usually don't have their guns.
Yes, I'm not super-keen on our right to bear arms. Our neighbor thinks he's Rambo and is constantly shooting off guns in his backyard. I'm afraid to let my daughter outside.

The bottom line is this, you do whatever it takes to win. Whether it's running your mouth to someone you know it will affect negatively, or ignoring the idiot who is talking shit to you. All these people who are whining and bitching about sportsmanship, show up to one of these tournaments (I noticed those complaining are those who have never showed up anywhere) and show how it's supposed to be done.
<snip>

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to NCR due to family obligations, but SC5 isn't my first rodeo. I've played in probably hundreds of tournaments in my life, including the TTT and SC2 nationals. Hell, I qualified for the TTT Nationals in your very own Seattle, WA. Things like respecting your opponent isn't just my idealized view of how people should play, it's how people actually used to play. I have much stronger opinions about the "winning at any cost" and "anything goes" mentality, but I've long learned what protracted arguments on the Internet earn you.

P.S. UnseenWombat has been around since at least SC1, so he's not just some herpderping online warrior, either.

P.P.S. Lest anyone think this is an Alex J. hatefest - while I disagree with his antics, his actual gameplay speaks for itself, and I'm glad that he represented Norcal with such a strong showing. Major props to him for his performance, with a Marge Simpson groan of disapproval for his sportsmanship.

Based on posts in this thread and what I saw on the Tourney vid, and remembering Srayer's performance in Tulsa when I went ages ago. Threw myself on here for the hell of it.
gamerchartsc5.jpg
I'd put myself to retro gamer, I still have my snes. *Trollface*
And gameboy. *Mega-Trollface*
NOT the color version. *Monster-Trollface*
And my PSP *Ultra-Trollface*
But I have a life and I don't think I'm anywhere as skilled as I'd like to be, or where that scale shows. I love it though! Missing game difficulty... on the money!

I'd put myself to retro gamer, I still have my snes. *Trollface*
And gameboy. *Mega-Trollface*
NOT the color version. *Monster-Trollface*
And my PSP *Ultra-Trollface*
But I have a life and I don't think I'm anywhere as skilled as I'd like to be, or where that scale shows. I love it though! Missing game difficulty... on the money!

www.8wayrun.com/eatadick

Thats why european sports are boring as fuck to watch. Hype in competition is what we americans like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back