Nightmare Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

He's saying 2[K] isn't a tech trap, it's a dead trap.

Oh, hi there. This isn't the MK9 community, if you've got tech, share it with the whole class or don't mention it.

I will. Needs some testing but its a trade of guaranteed damage for potentially much more damage. Its a tech-trap/anti-techtrap option.

I would like DIME and a couple of others to test it first though.

So if you block Algol's 6BBB and do a CE immediately and Algol gets caught by it, the bubble interrupts CE's recovery and allows you to combo off it. I've managed to reach over 300 damage with GS K BE combo off the CE into a wall combo.

I told your lousy SA mod to make a video of it for me so you guys can see what I mean.

Also there's a glitch where you get grabbed by a bubble.

So if you block Algol's 6BBB and do a CE immediately and Algol gets caught by it, the bubble interrupts CE's recovery and allows you to combo off it. I've managed to reach over 300 damage with GS K BE combo off the CE into a wall combo.

I told your lousy SA mod to make a video of it for me so you guys can see what I mean.

Also there's a glitch where you get grabbed by a bubble.

Messing around today... Probably old news but ctrl+f didn't catch it

4K BE near a wall or ring edge, FC K (looks) guaranteed.

If you use 1K it's techable right/left, but if you [1G]~K it looks like it catches the tech.

Give me a moment to go grab a thimble with which I might conceal my shock...

I'd still like to know what it was.

This is what I wrote recently:

"I've not played the game in ages so im not sure if it was any good at all in practical match ups. I dont see Thermidor or anyone else using it so it might be a dud but this is what i wrote at the time:

"33B BE 66B (immediate input), your opponent will pop up in the air for a second leading to an delayed techable knockdown. 3B from here is a mustblock and tech trap if they tech left or right and 2(K) cannot be interrupted if they stand up. I have tested 66B and it seems to be a must block on some characters after this so the amount of +frames is a huge amount. 4A+B catches back rollers and is only escapable to one side or if they stand up and attack.

GS K BE is a must block as well.

DIME said 2( K ) can only be interrupted with a jumping attack but the timing is strict. It can be JG as well but the timing is strict too. 3B will beat both those options and give NM counter hit.and launch.

Its 69 guaranteed damage with the potential mix-up for 99 damage to 131 damage or more (with shennanigans such as 4A+B or GS K BE wall combos or Tech trap from 3B).

Mix in Lau throw as well and its an unreadable mix-up."

Last time i spoke to DIME he said it did work but meh go to town with it, tell me if it does.

GL and have fun.

Did some more testing, the only way i find it does not work is when you catch the opponent backstepping. But then you get the 82 damage version of it (the extra ground hit). It needs more testing of course.

EDIT: Seems to get the 82 damage version on counter hit. Seems to work on normal hits so far.

Done more testing (with me controlling the defender against the training dummy on replay), the mix-up does seem very difficult to read and react to. If your opponent sees the flames of an unblockable and tries react to it, you can open up a bag of shenanigans on him using 4A+B cancel fakes.

Yeah, it works in theory, but I personally don't believe its that useful.

But yeah, go nuts with it. Its definitely in NM's favor, at least against most characters.

Yeah, it works in theory, but I personally don't believe its that useful.

But yeah, go nuts with it. Its definitely in NM's favor, at least against most characters.

Ill need to play more to see if its good in practical matches. From my testing against the AI, it takes a lot of effort to get the mix-up down right and such I think it would be stressful to use it in an actual match. The inputs alone would be very difficult. But if you could get the presence of mind to use it, it will be a nice whiff punish mix-up to add to the usual 2B+K BE combo, you get from it. Make it difficult for your opponent to read and react to it.

Yeah, if you can get it working, great. But I just don't believe there's any reason for your opponent to not just play dead and try to roll around, unless they don't have the life lead. Maybe then it could be really, really deadly.

Though, I have the firm belief that 33B > 33B BE most of the time.

Yeah, if you can get it working, great. But I just don't believe there's any reason for your opponent to not just play dead and try to roll around, unless they don't have the life lead. Maybe then it could be really, really deadly.

Though, I have the firm belief that 33B > 33B BE most of the time.

Nah you want them to play dead. GS K BE and 3B are both must blocks from this.

Playing dead is a good thing from the mix-up's stand point. It guarantees the damage. From what i've seen in testing, its very difficult to react to, the moment you try to read and react to the flames of 2(K), the must-blocks would have hit you already. Also you can pull a ton of shenanigans on your opponent if they decide to stay down with another 66B (if they roll in one direction it will hit for 45+ damage) or 4A+B (Basically the mix-up will take about 150+ hit points and I believe this will hit back rollers, people who stay down and people who roll to one side after a read and react delay). The problem is that the mix-up is very complicated because it has many parts to it and I have not covered all the bases yet and broken it down into a true 50/50.

For now, the 50/50 is 3B/GS K BE vs 2(K)/Lau throw (B slide G cancel fake would work well with Lau Throw as it mimics 3Bs motion; throws however are SOOOOOOOooooo shit in this version). If they like to attack out of it, the mix-up becomes 4A+B cancel into 3B vs 2(K). Until I play more human opponents offline, this is my suggested mix-up.

Use 33B BE as a whiff punish/running and slide mix-up.

If this works, this is the closest Nightmare will get to his SC4 style of mix-up game.

Back