Nightmare Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

Yeah, its guaranteed for the most part. Small characters can JUG it, but large characters can only do so if you delay 66b for the tech trap.

66b actually has a second hit that only works on close grounded opponents. Back teching just gets out of the last hit. No big deal.

hey, can someone tell me how 66B works if comboed from NSS A+B? the combo list says it's a true combo, but the amount of hits I can get on the opponent is different if they decide to tech backward. it is inescapable, right?

I've been scanning through the pages and maybe its because it's late where I am and I'm just not seeing it but um...Are there any Nightmare BnB's that don't involve a wall splat?

Hi, Long time no see.
I forgot if I posted this setup long time ago or not. Anyway, I will show it here and I think it will bring up some of discussion. I didn't use it well because my JF input and nightmare suck. I only landed it 2 times on online matches and haven't used it in a offline battle. Let's see if a good nightmare player can handle it.

It is an useful tech-trap setup after FC-ThrowB landing opponent on edge of ring ( not the wall hit ). It needs a JF input timing of 3AA or 4Kbe that can cover all side of tech-roll, but not for playing dead.

FC2B+G(Edge)--> Time3AA (techND except Ezio,Raphael,Xiba,Ivy,Tira&Algol)
FC2B+G(Edge)--> Time4Kbe (techND except ZWEI,Nighty,Yoshi,Astaroth,@Pat,&Voldo)
FC2B+G(Edge)--> GSKbe (dead,roll)
*** There are other BT moves can do tech-trap too without JF input timing. They are also useful depends on situation. Give it a try.
Have fun.

If you don't know what I'm typing, you can check my remarks here. Also, there is my wall combo setup list in this page. Take a look.
http://8wayrun.com/threads/nightmare-combo-tech-trap-discussion.9280/page-14#post-607951

Last edited:
Hi, Long time no see.
I forgot if I posted this setup long time ago or not. Anyway, I will show it here and I think it will bring up some of discussion. I didn't use it well because my JF input and nightmare suck. I only landed it 2 times on online matches and haven't used it in a offline battle. Let's see if a good nightmare player can handle it.

It is an useful tech-trap setup after FC-ThrowB landing opponent on edge of ring ( not the wall hit ). It needs a JF input timing of 3AA or 4Kbe that can cover all side of tech-roll, but not for playing dead.

FC2B+G(Edge)--> Time3AA (techND except Ezio,Raphael,Xiba,Ivy,Tira&Algol)
FC2B+G(Edge)--> Time4Kbe (techND except ZWEI,Nighty,Yoshi,Astaroth,@Pat,&Voldo)
FC2B+G(Edge)--> GSKbe (dead,roll)
*** There are other BT moves can do tech-trap too without JF input timing. They are also useful depends on situation. Give it a try.
Have fun.

If you don't know what I'm typing, you can check my remarks here. Also, there is my wall combo setup list in this page. Take a look.
http://8wayrun.com/threads/nightmare-combo-tech-trap-discussion.9280/page-14#post-607951
I'll do some testing and post some results tomorrow

ok results time, sadly laptops gone through blue-screen so I can't show you, but if I can I'll try.
for starters it was ball-busting trying to turn around fast enough to try and land 3AA as a techtrap after FC B+G near the edge, but I've discovered inputting 4G after FC B+G helps to alleviate the timing slightly and gives you a few more frames to work with when turning around. I was able to do these more consistently after.

it catches Ezio during right techs and backward techs, he will avoid left techs and some funky stuff happens with frontal tech, in some cases Ezio with be able to block the oncoming 3AA in others the first 3A will miss and Ezio is able to JG the second hit, same thing with 4K BE

Raph can avoid 3AA techtrap via teching to his left, but 3AA will catch everything else, 4K BE will catch all tech

3AA and 4K BE will catch Xiba's right and front techs, he's able to avoid 3AA via left techs and his backwards tech put him in the same funky situation as Ezio where the first hits of 3AA and 4K BE will miss and he's able JG the second hits

I'll move on to Ivy soon, give us a heads up on who else you want testing on

Zero, you don't need to input 4G.
I just do
Hold G > Turning Back > Release G > JF input Timing of 3AA or 4Kbe

All my test are based on a perpendicular line against to the wall or edge, which pushes the dead body back to you little bit and not causing Wall Hit or Ring Out. It happens all the time in real matches. With this setup, FC-ThrowB will become a threat in this situation and you won't waste it by a accidental Wall Hit's or RO's miss.

For starters, you can do this setting for test:
Stage selection: Fu-Ma No Sato: Mechanical Spider
Reset Position > Set Location: Wall
Reset Position > Direction Settings: Backward
L1+R1: Reset

Last edited:
Zero, you don't need to input 4G.
I just do
Hold G > Turning Back > Release G > JF input Timing of 3AA or 4Kbe

All my test are based on a perpendicular line against to the wall or edge, which pushes the dead body back to you little bit and not causing Wall Hit or Ring Out. It happens all the time in real matches. With this setup, FC-ThrowB will become a threat in this situation and you won't waste it by a accidental Wall Hit's or RO's miss.

holding G to turn around for me was the ball-busting part for me, holding 4 and G at the same time probably gives the same results as just holding G, but I just felt that makes this a lot easier to do, I mean I was able to do these more consistently by holding 4G.
I practiced all these on Nightmare's stage near the edge of the ring at the distance where FC B+G will not RO, but I'll give it a shot on Natsu's stage if you want

Last edited:
It is fine if you do it by your own way.
However, I think that the result of setting Set Location to "Ring Edge" will be similar to doing a FC-ThrowB in a regular open space. If the wall or edge didn't push the dead body back to you into a reasonable distance, the result of test should not be approved.

Last edited:
It is fine if you do it by your own way.
However, I think that the result of setting Set Location to "Ring Edge" will be similar to doing a FC-ThrowB in a regular open space. If the wall or edge didn't push the dead body back to you into a reasonable distance, the result of test should not be approved.
I see, I see. I'll redo my tests according to your parameters then, So do I practice these on Natsu's stage? you mentioned to set the location settings to "wall - Backwards" right?

@SilentWall I've tried following the instructions you've set and it appears I get the same result as before, am I doing something wrong? Perhaps a visual aid might help

I think you can try few more times, and then you will get the timing. Yea, Natsu's stage (Fu-Ma No Sato: Mechanical Spider).

I think you can try few more times, and then you will get the timing. Yea, Natsu's stage (Fu-Ma No Sato: Mechanical Spider).
ok walk it through with me one more time:
  1. Pick Natsu's stage
  2. configure location settings to "wall" and "reverse
  3. press L1 and R1 to reset
now do I just FC B+G my opponents where they stand at that point? or do they need to come a little closer, like close enough so that they don't w! or RO?

I had showed Direction Settings, not Position Settings.
Direction Settings: """ Backward """

You should keep Position Settings: "Default"
Now you will be fine.

Back