NOT MITSURUGI

If you wanna get mad at actors who play characters with different races... get mad at this:

A while back, there was a movie called Memoirs of a Geisha. It was about geisha life in pre and post WWII Japan. The Chinese don't have geisha... but two Chinese actresses co-starred in that movie: Zhang Ziyi as Sayuri, and Yeoh Michelle as Mameha. Did any non-asians really notice the difference? I doubt it. But that's not the point.

It doesn't matter who played those roles, but how those roles were played. Both Ziyi and Michelle did a great job. So who cares if they were Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, etc? In the same way... who cares if that Mitsu actor is Japanese, Irish, French, whatever -- if he does a good job?

who cares if that Mitsu actor is Japanese, Irish, French, whatever -- if he does a good job?

Irish Mitsurugi would just be weird. I don't care if the actor is Japanese or not as long as he's some kind of Asian. Guy has to to look at least somewhat like Mitsurugi. I think they should do a commercial with Nightmare. It'd be a lot easier to find someone for that since you just put some guy in blue armor and you're done. He's on the cover of the game too so people would recognize him from the commercial.

It doesn't matter who played those roles, but how those roles were played. Both Ziyi and Michelle did a great job. So who cares if they were Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Malaysian, etc? In the same way... who cares if that Mitsu actor is Japanese, Irish, French, whatever -- if he does a good job?
Because the history of media and representation of Asians in America says otherwise. Having Asians from different cultures portray one other is a completely separate issue from the tendency for western media to deny Asian performers the opportunities to play roles that should be available to them.

So... it's still understandable that someone who doesn't know much about Soul Calibur would correct the typo?

Is that what you were going to say?

Because there's no such thing as proof-reading.

Right? What ever.

Knowing America, as long as the Asian actor speaks English, they won't give a dayum who they'll pick. The most they've ever made a live-action Samurai is with a Caucasian lead (Kill Bill, The Last Samurai).

Now Japan, however, will have his role spot on, knowing how many Samurai films they've made.

Because there's no such thing as proof-reading.

Right? What ever.
Proofreading isn't needed, considering the word "Caliber" is actually spelt correctly. As I explained earlier,
"understandable that someone who doesn't know much about Soul Calibur would correct the typo?"

lol

You guys realize that this isn't a casting call for a movie right? Its a COMMERCIAL.

It will be 30 seconds long, the guy will probably be on screen for all of 10 seconds and not say a single word. Who cares!
Oh damn, that's what I get for not reading it very thoroughly.

Namco has been taking this live-action approach to video game commercials recently. Tekken Tag Tournament 2's was brilliant.

I can imagine a commercial.

Pyrrha and Algol get into a fight. Pyrrha uses her critical edge, which effectively ends the fight...

Pyrrha : YAAAH!

but also breaks Algol's "armor" (im not even sure if he has armor)

Pyrrha : ...*face goes red*

Pyrrha : No....I can't go on! WAIL! *runs away*

Algol : Wait! We're not done yet!!

A new tale of swords and souls unfolds under the star of destiny...

Da Da Da Dum...SOUL CALIBUR V. 31/1/2012.

Proofreading isn't needed, considering the word "Caliber" is actually spelt correctly.

But that is not the title.
2706651067.gif

Back