Votes: 29 17.7%
  • New School

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Both

Votes: 107 65.2%
  • Anime? What's that?

Votes: 15 9.1%

• Total voters
I almost feel like dropping sword art online because of how boring the two main characters are -_-

I get where you're coming from but what do you want? They're just regular people trapped in a game. I didn't run into a lot of devil may care space pirates with jaded pasts and a cybernetic arm playing wow. The ways that most people you meet in mmo's are interesting rarely lend themselves to anime, ya know? Besides, All the people who took big risks probably got themselves killed by now...

Anything you like about the show? What would you change about them? Off the too of my head I would think it would be interesting to see more of the intergroup aspects you see in real MMO's in SAO.

Make them funny, eccentric, cute, etc.

I like the premise of the show and the animations during the action scenes are quite nice. My main issues with it are the characters and a consistent lack of common sense. Big soldiers run away peeing themselves because they are afraid of being knocked down by a girl? Why has someone once again willingly given away their vital teleportation crystals like an idiot?

Because all these guys. big soldiers or not, have the mindset of normal people. People who have never thought about what they'd actually do in any situation like this, or hell maybe in any confrontational situation in real life.

You don't even feel pain or lose HP for being bumped around in a town. Their reaction is not realistic.
OR that doesn't matter because it's still normal people. There's no such thing as a realistic reaction for this because this situation isn't realistic. You can't honestly say anything about how anyone would react because it's never happened.

And with that you can't even compare this to say our world here and how we'd react. We are in a world where, even in fiction, are exposed to situations that make us think. We have stuff like .hack or Matrix or whatever that make us actually think about what we'd do if something like this happened.
Try to imagine if none of these shows or movies existed, meaning we'd never even thought about it, and then have it happen to you. That's the only way you can judge an actual action or reaction in a situation like this.

Plus getting hit with a sword would activate a mental stimulus that would give them the shock of pain even if it didn't hurt. Ex. When you stub your toe and you say "Oww!" anyways even though it didn't hurt.

Well Asuna did say that there is a mild knock back effect. And it sure doesn't look like it feels good. And since she's like a zillion time stronger than these scrubs, she could bounce them around for as long as they stick around.

Like a Boss.

Didn't watch the final movie yet but it still won't change my opinion of the Anime. BURRRRRRNNNNINGGGGG!!!!

Plus getting hit with a sword would activate a mental stimulus that would give them the shock of pain even if it didn't hurt. Ex. When you stub your toe and you say "Oww!" anyways even though it didn't hurt.

I'd also have to imagine that no matter how long you were in the game, you would probably never get used to somebody swinging a sword AT YOUR FACE.

I would assume if you're jumping into a discussion about objective criticism to the Naruto anime, with only the manga as your experience, your contribution to the discussion would be criticism to the story not the art style. Because the art style in the manga isn't really relevant. I thought you were attempting to objectively discuss the other aspects of Naruto.
So don't take offense. This is the internet just because I sound aggressive doesn't mean I am.

I feel like your analysis of Fairy Tail vs One Piece is very shallow. Clearly your biggest draw to anime is aesthetic. You don't value the narrative. This made clear by your perception of the two animes. As much as you say the animes are the same, their similarities mostly lay in aethestics. The stories are difference the writing for the characters is also different. The setting, the mood and the tone all different.

And these differences are what make One Piece like you said, the number one anime currently airing in Japan/world. A title Fairy Tail will never come close to achieving in my estimation...it's an emulation of One Piece in character design sure. But the story and the character depth doesn't hold any weight in comparison. From the get go, Luffy is an underdog, compare to the rest of his universe. His powers is that he's a rubber-man. Natsu in Fairy Tail was raised by a freaking dragon, and breathes fire magic...he's powerful from the start. Huge characterization difference.

This Fairy tale discussion started as an example of what objective criticism is. You said Naruto was bad, but couldn't articulate it outside of the animation being bad.

I don't think Naruto is a great anime, it's below average to my extent. But I can do a lot better than terrible animation.

King, i would have to say that Natsu is not as powerful as you make him seem. As the story shows multiple times, the source of magic power in that world is feelings. Its why every time, Natsu gets his ass kicked in more ways then one; and each and every time he pulls out of it because of emotion.

Luffy is an underdog, which is I completely agree with. But when you really break it down, Luffy is fighting the same type of battles against people who are clearly leagues a head of him as Natsu is. Both characters use their wills to push them to the limits and protect the people that they want to.

Luffy, wanted to protect Robin, and declared war against the world.
Natsu, wanted to protect his guild and declared anyone who would harm them an enemy.

There are a lot more similarities in both so i wouldn't sell Fairy Tail as short as you are but that is only my feelings to it.

I feel like your analysis of Fairy Tail vs One Piece is very shallow. Clearly your biggest draw to anime is aesthetic. You don't value the narrative. This made clear by your perception of the two animes. As much as you say the animes are the same, their similarities mostly lay in aethestics. The stories are difference the writing for the characters is also different. The setting, the mood and the tone all different.

And these differences are what make One Piece like you said, the number one anime currently airing in Japan/world. A title Fairy Tail will never come close to achieving in my estimation...it's an emulation of One Piece in character design sure. But the story and the character depth doesn't hold any weight in comparison. From the get go, Luffy is an underdog, compare to the rest of his universe. His powers is that he's a rubber-man. Natsu in Fairy Tail was raised by a freaking dragon, and breathes fire magic...he's powerful from the start. Huge characterization difference.

This Fairy tale discussion started as an example of what objective criticism is. You said Naruto was bad, but couldn't articulate it outside of the animation being bad.

I don't think Naruto is a great anime, it's below average to my extent. But I can do a lot better than terrible animation.

See KingAce now i'm going to tell you something. You're an idiot. CLEARLY you need to quit making assumptions of people because CLEARLY you can tell what and why people do things for no reason.

You don't seem to read anything beyond what you want to read and CLEARLY haven't been watching anime very long.

Natsu and Luffy are the same character. Within their story both are highly skilled overall but fall very short in comparison to a lot of their own worlds. Natsu was raised by a dragon, giving him the stlye of magic he has but he's still weak. Not until someone almost kills him/the guild does he get emotional and than he overcomes whatever it was whooping his ass and just miraculously destroys them. Whether he eats uber magic crystal or just eats non-edible fire, he barely makes it out.
Luffy is the same, he has a rubber ability and he gets knocked around all over the place only to continue going on to save his crew/family. Not until someone pisses him off does he finally overcome it and win. Whether the rubber makes him immune to the bad guy like ENEL or randomly think of pumping his blood to be godlike. He only thinks of it after he gets his ass handed to him and his friends belief in them to GO GO GO.
The further both shows go the more ridiculous the answer to their issues become. And it's not just these two characters it's the entire cast of both, and normally it's all for friends.

They're the same, the characters are not more or less flushed out for either show. Fairy Tail just hasn't been doing this for as long. Even Nami and Lucy's stories were similar where they had to go back home to deal with their family and the issues behind their families to fix it.

And as for Naruto, i've TOLD YOU how to get my reasons as to why Naruto GayShitDamn is bad. You're the one that wants to know, but you're not looking for it. So if you aren't gonna do the work to see why, than you don't deserve it.

Hell you haven't said any actual reasons as to why it's good/bad beyond animation nor have you gave actual reasons between FT and OP other than words like Character Depth.

So KINGACE, you need to stfu or go deep as to why you're right otherwise you're just being a jackass. And oh yes i'm going all ad-hominem from now on, if you say something dumb or hell even something that's a baseless assumption, i'm gonna call you a name or series of names just because.

Also every time i said Clearly it was sarcasm AND an insult.

Is the final movie the one where they go to England? If so it was awesome. It didn't have enough Kawamura in it though.

Uh that is the last one but the one i was talking about was when Ryoma and...... Takeshi? went against each other and they created big tornadoes and the ball didn't even exist anymore and they were just clashing way in the sky for no reason. DUMB

It's fine if you want to go ad hominem. It wouldn't be the first fallacy you've committed so far.I don't need to because it's the lowest level of debate.

You need to pick up a dictionary and look up the word "same." You're using it wrong.
Now both you and Kit claim that Luffy and Natsu overcome their enemies with emotion. Kit goes so far as to claim that emotion in Fairy tail amplifies magic. I don't see that, it doesn't seem to work for the villains. To my understanding the emotional bullshit is a typical shounen cliche. On average most shounen anime/manga genres use this excuse for the protagonist to overcome.

It's used because the writers suck IMO. Especially the overblown level it's used in Fairy tail. The writers spend so much time introducing a villain, go to great length to make you feel that there is no hope. But, reality check the protagonist can't die, and must win...so there for he gets pissed and wins. Rinse and repeat.

I have never once felt that Luffy cheated himself into a victory. The reasons being unlike Natsu, Luffy is the leader of his crew. He's strongest character character on his team. The usual setup to his final fight, he's late, or he has to find a way to overcome a specific attribute of a devil fruit. But the writers never put him over a fight you thought he couldn't win. The admirals have all kicked his ass. Real early into the story Admiral Aokiji basically destroys the entire team freezing luffy whole. Smoker still gives him problems. And Batholomew Kuma has to save the entire team from getting wiped out. The prison warden Magallen pretty much almost kills him.

Natsu isn't the strongest in the guild, hell he isn't the strongest in his regular team. However, he beats every boss. And just keeps on getting stronger. Everybody claims he's weak but miraculously he gets stronger and stronger like a super saiyan after each battle. And that's because of his potential, it's all foreshadowed by his dragon powers. Again dragon powers. He's not a weak character because he's actions speak for themselves. Again the last arc I read on the Island, several members of his guild much more powerful than him are in the vicinity, but are irrelevant in the final battle. It doesn't matter what excuse the writers play out, Natsu is powerful. An unknown power. And who wants to watch a protagonist whose strength can't be measured? Not me. Kills the suspense, kills the anticipation, very predictable. What are his limits?

My assumption of your lack of understanding narrative stems from several things. The history of animes you have claimed....for example you say Naruto is bad...but you've watched how many Queen's blade episodes? An even bigger piece of shit. Why...atheistic reasons, including the fan service. Speaking of which, remember our discuss on "fan service." I remember specifically you would not forfeit the idea that nudity/sexual themes in manga/anime are not always for the purpose of "fan services." You couldn't wrap your head around the idea that these themes are some times tools used by writers to set mood/tone, basically atmosphere to the story. Because as far as your mind is concerned nudity/sexual themes only have aesthetic value. Your only objective criticism of Naruto and your analysis of Fairy tail and One piece is aesthetic. My assumptions are not without merit. If you went through the trouble of writing all that you could have spent some time posting those objective criticisms of naruto. Or posted a link, hell copy and pasted. Your IDs to anime forums aren't a form of argument.

Yeah it does. But I still gotta agree with most of what KingAce said about it. Except that the writer sucks.

Back