PC vs Consoles

Which platform is home to you?

• Total voters
apq1YZM_460s_v1.jpg

Both suck for driving, you want to drive get a steering wheel.

Pads are better for 3rd person shooters. Keyboard better for 1st person shooters.

Steam saved PC gaming, it's true. The outbreak of PC gaming piracy cause many publishers to stop porting their games to PC (SSF4 is a prime example, as SF4 had a PC port.)

- Continuous DRM on most games.

- Can't sell or buy used games.

- PC misses out on a lot of console games, (especially fighters).

- Basically everything people complained about the Xbox One was going to have, the PC has all of those problems.

- Graphics and performance don't matter, (like comparing PC Skyrim to PS3 Skyrim, as comparing old games sucked solely based upon their poor graphics).

- PC's are 4x as expensive as a PS4 fully assembled. A non-fully assembled gaming PC costs less, but requires annual modifications, parts and labor. Consoles don't require any graphics card updates, and come fully assembled. (Aside from the PS4's horrible hard drive changing extraction!)

[-- Overall --] PC has slightly better performance, (FPS), load times, and graphics //// Console wins in every other comparison.

>:3333 This topic is officially over! *Tips wine glass*

Last edited:
Oh, we're doing pictures? Sweet.

w7GHYaL.jpg
bah there's nothing wrong with macs! they're awesome for both programming and digital media development. they are essentially the only user friendly system out there that actually still has the ability to PROMOTE to you to gradually learn how to use a computer if you desire too.

plus macs are pretty powerful and well made machines - naturally because of this you can do quite a bit of gaming on them.

plus they are the only computers that you can install OSX, Windows AND Linux onto all on the same system, which expands your possibilities indefinitely.

certainly they are overpriced - there is no playing that down, but they are all made with cnc milled aluminium casing, which makes then extremely durable. not to mention because OSX is developed for a very specific set of hardware, you wont find a system more stable out there.

besides, for starters, an i5 mac mini essentially gives you the full capabilities of a decently powerful desktop computer in an incredibly small and portable package, and only for $599 CDN. plus since apple is very supportive of the education market, you can get up to $200 off any product just by being a university student. so its really just awesome.

plus you cant beat a mac laptop - 13" macbook air with 12 HOURS of battery life, and components strong enough to run skyrim on high with mods - thats nothing to shrug at for a laptop which is so small, and ISNT EVEN INTENDED to be a main desktop machine anyways. but hell, with capabilities like that, its more than capable of meeting 99% of consumer needs; albiet for $1000. but hey, you get what you pay for. a mac isnt just some trivial computer that you buy and then replace two years later - these things are designed to last you like 5 years, so the price tag warrants the amount of use you'll get out of it.

mind you im a linux guy myself - i like non-proprietary software. but you just simply cant deny that mac makes good quality computers - the days when they were the inferior hardware competitor have long since passed.

Good Lord, would you all be ever so kind to shut up and let this useless thread die already?
actually i think instead of posting in this thread, we should just have a casual computer talk thread. this way instead of people all getting at eachothers throats all the time, we could actually engage in a productive and enjoyable conversation.

there is nothing that says we have to be enemies just because we dont have the same game consoles - its a trivial thing. i say we just get together and talk about technology for the fun of it, and see what we can teach eachother ^_^

who knows, we might even make friends with eachother =D wouldnt that be something?

Just remember this: opinions are like assholes; everybody has one ;)

certainly they are overpriced
This is my main gripe with them. They're not bad computers, but for the price you could get something much better that actually works with the vast majority of software out there. Plus, and this is coming from experience, the air flow is terrible (and cooling in general).
actually i think instead of posting in this thread, we should just have a casual computer talk thread.
I like this idea.

This is my main gripe with them. They're not bad computers, but for the price you could get something much better that actually works with the vast majority of software out there. Plus, and this is coming from experience, the air flow is terrible (and cooling in general).

I like this idea.
i dunno about that - macs work with a fair amount of proprietary software as it is, and for everything else, there is either wine, or free linux packages that mac OSX users can compile from source. that covers at least 80% of all required software(probably over 100% for everyday users), not to mention that apple also makes a fair deal of their own proprietary software, and alot of that software is very good quality. plus dont forget that you CAN always install windows onto a mac machine if you absolutely must - infact apple even provides you the software to do so. you could also install linux on a mac, or freeBSD on a mac, if you really wanted to.

also a good amount of games are now windows/mac compatible as well, so its not like mac is a slouch in that department either.

as for the ventilation i cant speak for the imac or mac pro because ive never used one for an extended period of time, but mac mini's, macbook pro's, and mac book airs all have sufficient enough ventilation to run reasonably cool even under stress(such as gaming) and by reasonably cool i mean warm, yes, but not hot to the point where it burns you, or damages your hardware - and with the new haswell architecture in their processors, they run even cooler than they did before. they may not have the cooling of a gaming rig, but then again, a gaming rig is just that - and i bet if you stuck your hands inside your gaming rig while it was running under stress and started touching the parts, yea they would feel warm anyways; its just less noticeable with all that airflow going through. normal computers tend to run a little hotter by nature since they have less fans and vents, and a mac compared to those normal computers runs pretty cool.

as for the price thing - i will say this: you can get the same level of hardware power for $100-200 bucks less, that is certainly true. but you wont get near the same build quality as you would with a mac. they cost extra partly because a) they are a closed system with a proprietary OS installed which you cant legally install on any other machine, and b) they are built to last a VERY long time.

and of course if you always wanted a mac, but hated the price, well again, a mac mini only costs $599 and its a pretty amazing machine in its own right - basically a portable, mid-high power desktop machine that you can take ANYWHERE. and they're perfect for servers when they finally become obsolete.

macs are an extremely effective work computer, a decent enough gaming computer for gaming(they are infact very powerful - their laptops are comparable to fully fledged desktops when in turbo mode), and they are one hell of a learning tool for how to use a computer. the only thing i would say that holds people back, is their inexperience with OSX, which the same could be said for Windows if someone had no experience in using that.

and again, dont forget that you can always put windows on your mac, or linux if you prefer. but unless you're doing either super hardcore gaming(even then OSX might suffice), or you own something very specific that wont work in wine or a virtual machine, or you're doing cross platform software development for all 3 operating systems, i wouldnt bother dual/triple booting as OSX will suit all your needs perfectly.

Reactions: You
One of the big problems I have with mac is the price, but also the fact that if your power cord fails or gets destroyed (pretty common when you have cats) you HAVE to buy an Apple power cord, which wouldn't be an issue if they didn't cost an arm and a leg. My wife had to buy a new one for her iMac and it costed 80 bucks!

Compare that to my PC Laptop, where I can buy any after-market one at Best Buy for 10-15 bucks.

Upgrade a Mac? Good luck taking it apart, especially the laptops.

PC? No problem I can buy whatever motherboard and Ram chips I want and I essentially got a new computer for far less than buying a new mac.

Gaming? Even though there are more Mac compatible games than before, its library is still much shorter than PC's.

And as far as how long they last, this PC laptop that I'm currently using now is 6 years old. It's not meant for anything other than facebook twitter forums, etc, so there's no reason for me to upgrade.

We also had an old macbook OSX that was 2001 model, it lasted only 5 years before the motherboard crashed.

And then lastly, much of the college stuff that uses computers requires PCs.

Only downside? PC's get viruses like mad, but this is only because 95% of the internet users use PCs, why not program for the biggest common denominator?

I vote for Consoles in general (except the Wii/U), whether microsoft or sony. I am cheap and I care little for graphics.

One of the big problems I have with mac is the price, but also the fact that if your power cord fails or gets destroyed (pretty common when you have cats) you HAVE to buy an Apple power cord, which wouldn't be an issue if they didn't cost an arm and a leg. My wife had to buy a new one for her iMac and it costed 80 bucks!

Compare that to my PC Laptop, where I can buy any after-market one at Best Buy for 10-15 bucks.

PC? No problem I can buy whatever motherboard and Ram chips I want and I essentially got a new computer for far less than buying a new mac.

Gaming? Even though there are more Mac compatible games than before, its library is still much shorter than PC's.

And as far as how long they last, this PC laptop that I'm currently using now is 6 years old. It's not meant for anything other than facebook twitter forums, etc, so there's no reason for me to upgrade.

We also had an old macbook OSX that was 2001 model, it lasted only 5 years before the motherboard crashed.

Only downside? PC's get viruses like mad, but this is only because 95% of the internet users use PCs, why not program for the biggest common denominator?
I have several points to make since you're regarding laptops...
1. You can't change your laptop's motherboard for a different model. That laptop will only take that certain Motherboard. You also can't pick w/e RAM you want, you're limited to mobile RAM.
2. Every time someone gets a virus it's because the end user didn't have the correct add-ons on their browser to protect them from such threats on unsafe sites or the correct anti-virus.
3. If viruses are such a big issue you can just put Linux on your computer if you aren't going to play games. You'll never get a virus on Linux.

actually for a mac mini you can rip out the ram and everything, and stick more in. and for upgradability you have the mac pro. the laptop ram is all soldered in, but if you're really worried about upgrading your laptop anyways, then you should probably just get a desktop. besides its not uncommon for laptop ram to be soldered in anyways: my samsung laptop that im talking to you on right now has both the ram and the battery soldered in.

btw all macs that dont have their ram soldered in use standard low profile DDR3 ram, which you can pick up at futureshop and bestbuy if you're so inclined.

Gaming? if you are having that much trouble installing your games on OSX, you can just install Windows7 on your Mac. OSX isnt the hardware, its the operating system, and you are free to swap that out as you so please.

Then thats fine for you. but some people, especially people like me, who are computer science university students, spend 8 hours a day on their laptops writing programs for class. its not for everybody, but you get what you pay for, and i'll pay for longer battery life, a stronger processor, and a *nix based system anyday..

also old macbooks were awful. over the past 13 years however, apples product quality has increased substantially to the point where carrying around a macbook is like carrying around a portable desktop that never runs out of power.

and that depends on which university you go to - my university has an apple store built into it, and we only use mac computers there (of course, i have linux on my laptop, so i dont bother using any of the computers anyways. but if i had a macbook, which i will soon, then id use OSX just as happily, because the only thing that is different is essentially the GUI - I can access all standard *nix functionality one way or the other through the CLI).

also you cant really say PC, because its WINDOWS. not PC. OSX or Linux could be installed onto that same PC, and it would still be a PC. Macs are literally just closed system PC's. there is no hardware difference - infact you could go and buy the parts to build a mac replica if you want, even though its incredibly illegal to install OSX on a non-Mac computer. However, Linux is completely free, and you can buy computers with Linux pre-installed on them, even if you have to look kinda hard to find them. Closed hardware systems isnt an OSX issue, its an Apple issue. but with closed systems also comes much greater performance and stability for the hardware, leading to a higher quality product anyways. With an open system, you get the freedom to do whatever you want to it, but at the cost of that performance and stability.

Windows IMO is far from being the best and most fitting operating system for most jobs as it doesnt provide the powerful system utilities that a *nix system does without paying for proprietary programs that provide functionality which should ALREADY BE BUILT IN. the only reason people develop for it is because it is so popular(and infact, any sort of important software, INCLUDING most games, is either ported to OSX, or can be run in WINE anyways, which also makes Linux a viable option...), and the only reason it is so popular is because 20 some-odd years ago it offered something that other operating systems didnt. but nowdays, every single desktop operating system you could install can do all of the same things as eachother; it doesnt matter if its Windows, OSX, Linux, FreeBSD, Minix, Solaris, etc. its just a matter of whether you are willing to pay for that or not, and whether you want to spend alot of time working in configuration files or not - which is different for each operating system. infact even on windows you will have to much around in config files sometimes to get it to do wht you want, so no operating system is a stranger to this process.

That being said however, *nix operating systems were HUGE in the world of computer science at one time for the exact same reason.
http://www.bell-labs.com/history/unix/

also with the direction Windows is going, well, all Microsoft can hope for is that because Bill Gates is back, he'll turn the company around with his monopolistic tendencies, because while they still are the head of the market right now, they have lost a fair bit of ground to OSX and Linux in recent years. So why program for a system that is losing ground?

How about instead of seeing it that way we focus on cross-platform programming. So why program for every single operating system? Because a) it promotes widespread distribution of your product, b) cross platform programming takes alot of quality control in order to keep it portable unless you use a high level language (which suffer from performance issues anyways) and c) it doesnt alienate consumers.

Im not saying you should buy a mac because mac > windows. im just saying you should do your research before making such broad claims and judgements about a system that you lack modern experience with.

you also cant base your judgements on any type of technology based on its past iterations of how it was back in the day. do you know how quickly technology actually evolves?

It's cool being in college, and installing Linux or buying a Mac is cool because everyone does it, but if your main reason to like Linux more than Windows is because you can't find alternatives to the unix development enivronment that you use in class, you're probably just drunk on the kool-aid. Programming on Windows is different than on Linux, but the actual tools you use to program are not the reason why.

It's cool being in college, and installing Linux or buying a Mac is cool because everyone does it, but if your main reason to like Linux more than Windows is because you can't find alternatives to the unix development enivronment that you use in class, you're probably just drunk on the kool-aid. Programming on Windows is different than on Linux, but the actual tools you use to program are not the reason why.
actually my main reason for using Linux is that I like the environment better, The fact that I hate proprietary software (excluding games) probably helps as well. But its not the main reason, which is why im open to using OSX.

and actually some of the capabilities that i like in *nix systems that arent build into windows are, for example, the ability to ssh into my home server. theres alot of really useful non-programming things in *nix environments that you have to either buy a tool for in order to emulate it, or you have to at least go and find an external tool to download in order for the same thing to work on windows.

sure i could set up samba, but thats just nowhere near as good or efficient as ssh-ing into the server, and using scp to copy files back and forth.

i could use PuTTy or Cygwin on windows, and I do, but again, those arent built in. those arent in every single windows environment i could ever sit down at, and a good working environment, is one that is standardized

Back