Power Stone Tierlist and Discussion

Yeah prettymuch. It seemed to me like some (most?) supers were unsafe on hit and others weren't. The problem is that the cool down time when you lose your power form is just way too long, so unless they died from the attack they can get up and combo your recovery. It's just really odd that it's like this when the game is clearly telling you to grab the stones to beat your opponent.

When is the game clearly telling you that getting the stones is always the best option for defeating your opponent?

edit: Had an opponent today. I am going to repeat myself and possibly change my tiers after gathering more information. Falcon's air grab has RETARDED range.

I just mean the way the game carries itself makes you think the goal is to get the powerstones.

Well, maybe. Perhaps the original concept of the game is flawed due to these 'problems'. However, I feel that the game is much better because of this. It makes the game a lot more about decision making, fake outs, and mix ups when otherwise the game would simply be a dash for the stones all the time.

I would say W-T, Ayame and Rouge are the top tier, Kraken and Valgas if you want to include them too. Ryoma, Falcon, and Galuda are mid, while Jack and Gunrock are low. Gunrock is indeed powerful but players who use him will have to be very patient and work hard to win against speedy characters such as W-T, Ayame, and Rouge. Jack's air punch attack leaves him completely open if missed and gives opportunity for air throw or something else.

In Power Stone 2, Rouge, Ayame, Julia, Gourmand, and Accel would be the top tiers. Julia is a great team battle partner because while transformed, she can use her projectile move (slave of love as it's called) to stop opponents and setup for team combos. two julias are a forced to be reckoned with in team battles. Accel has a very effective power drive and good power fusion moves. Ayame, Rouge, and Accel's air attack are pretty good. Rouge's air attack can have her move quicker around the stages. Accel's powered up state obviously makes him the fastest in the game and can hold off the opponents if his partner needs help.

Ayame has her air stomp infinite in Power Stone 2. No matter who her partner is, she can perform this infinite with the partner if done right. The infinite takes a good awhile to kill an opponent. She's start out with air stomping the opponent three times of course, then after the stomp (after she backflips off the opponent), the partner comes in and does their attack combo (Ayame can follow up the stomp anytime, usually done after the first hit). Rinse and repeat.

The air kick in Power Stone 1 is something I never use actually. I actually don't use the air kick at all what so ever. You want a good match, try making it to where air kicks are banned. Air punch and air throw allowed of course. It makes the battles more interesting. You wanna use the air kick, use it on the CPU, but against human players, it's banned.

Accel quite possibly has the best ground OTW (off the wall) and OTP (off the poll) attack in Power Stone simply because he shoots bullets. His air stomp can be followed up by a partner in team battles. If you hit the opponent while he or she is on the ground with Accel's air attack, it can then be followed up his air attack for a 3 hit combo. Timing must be good to pull it off. His mid-air OTW and OTP are also good can be followed up, but the problem is the timing and positioning of the where gets send in the air.

Let's talk about Power Drive/Power Fusion double team moves and Item setups!
Wang-Tang's Big Dragon Ball combined with power fusions from other characters can score big damage such as,
Falcon's Power Explosion
Ryoma's Midare Zantou (the cresent slash projectiles)
Rouge's Fiery Giant (summons the big head that shoots fireballs)
Galuda's Light of Vengence ( Light Arrows that fall from the sky and home in on the nearest opponent)
Ayame's 100 Flower Bloom (the homing shurikens)
Accel's Crazy Revolver (homing bullers
Jack's Misery Rain (homing swords)
Gourmand's Pra do Resistance (the homing pigs attack)
Pete's Propeller Dream (mid-air projectile power fusion) and possibly the Electric Sphere (ground close range Power Fusion)

Accel's Crazy Revolver + Ryoma's Midare Zantou
Galura's Heaven's Victory (The high damaging grab move), then follow up with Ryoma's Tenchi Ryoudan at the right time and positioning.

Julia's Power Drive (Slave of Love) followed up by any other power drive or power fusion for more damage.
Jack's Misery Rain + Galuda's Light of Vengence
Falcon's Power Explosion + Ryoma's Midare Zantou
Falcon's Power Explosion + Accel's Crazy Revolver

Try these out with a friend!

I recommend checking these youtube channels for Power Stone 1 and 2 matches! these are old but you should check out!

Kaitenuser's has some expert Power Stone 2 matches.

Check out what Accel, Ayame, Rouge, Ryoma, Galuda, Gunrock and Julia can do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kaitenuser?feature=chclk#p/u/97/8oeMEbC8uPA

Chloebs de Asis is a good friend of mine and she plays a lot of Power Stone as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chloebs

Check out her PStone matches as well.

And finally!

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerstone2hk#p/a/u/1/bCw_d2kP_eQ

Power Stone 2 matches from Hong Kong Players.

You see what Gourmand can do!

but against human players, it's banned.
Why? Its not that good. Most characters can be airgrabbed out of their airkick.

I have no idea what a tier list for power stone 1 would look like anymore. The more I play it the more balanced it seems.

Ahh i remember the Dreamcast days i would play PowerStone2. I would useWang-Tang. Everytime i got the three stones that fool would turn into a super saiyan or some shit he would have a big ass ball that you would call another Spirit Ball but yellow. He was so gangsta!!!!! This thread takes me back.

Yeah I know but still it's banned because lots of players (casuals/noobs) would abuse that move to try to knock the power stones out of the opponent as soon as possible. I for one would not use it at all anyway because as you said, it can be air grabbed and if missed, you're left open to attack.

I think Rouge (in PS1) is the highest in high tier or at least low top tier. She had great combos, a semi-broken jump kick that hits twice, and was hell in close range with all her stones. Jack is a fucking G though.

Also, I'm completely talking out my ass about Rouge. I never played competitively and really have no grasp on a tier list because I really only played as Jack and Rouge against my scrub ass roommate's Wang-Tang. I just wanted to talk about Power Stone because that game was legit.

EDIT: I played it a little bit after posting this and noticed that pretty much everyone has that jump kick double hit. Haha, I haven't played this in so long.

Back