PSN DOWN WTF?!1

Well, how can I have people speak for themselves without you thinking it’s someone else? See that’s the problem I have. I can have them come onto the forums and make accounts and then say their piece, but how can that convince you? Most likely, you will just state it is me on another account making that type of remark so the problem is that there is no way for me to prove it. So you calling me a liar is a very easy to do.
Well then, first off for you sir would be the fact that it states in the post that you would re-think or reconsider the fact of buying something because of the people who own the item. Reason being is that, just as you stated, that if you have a friend that has bias or is known to lie you really wouldn’t take their word and do your own research. Now, if you believe that this is true, then you cannot deny that this is also true to any known source over the internet, newspaper, and magazine since they also can have the same bias opinion. But then again, why would you ask anyone or better yet rely on something like that in the first place?
Now, do I know why the consoles failed on them, of course not, but the point was that it failed. And I said that they had a total of 3 Xbox 360 and that 5 people brought them. I also said that some were new but then again which model did they get? Now I’m not sure if they had the jasper model or the falcon model. Plus they never told me which ones was the new one, so they could have gotten the falcon 360 instead of the jasper 360 which started to show the decrease in the RRoD.
I checked for the new report but unfortunately its not published yet. So, the graph is being created by what data? Most likely the data that has been collected so far or better yet it is a sample of data that they used. So in other words, depending on that sample, if that is what they did, the graph would reflect that data. So then where did this data come from in the first place?
This is from the report that was used for the graph that you provided which labels where the data was taken from and how it was reported. Note that they placed a disclaimer at the end.
“In Q4 2008, Jasper units started arriving, although we believe units purchased during this period continued to be a mix of Falcon and Jasper models. Even with this mix, we projected the 1-year failure rate to drop below 4%. Furthermore, when looking at over 500 units purchased in 2009, fewer than 1% of customers have reported a RROD error as of Aug 2009. It is still too early to definitively assert that Jasper has given RROD a knockout punch, but such an argument may be pronounceable in the coming months.”
“SquareTrade randomly selected over 16,000 units for analysis. We included only items that were purchased brand new (i.e. not refurbished or used). “

“The following disclaimers apply to our data and analysis:
Only malfunctions reported directly to SquareTrade are included in the data. Other malfunctions, including software issues handled directly by the retailer, problems associated with product recalls, and those fixed by software/firmware updates, may not be represented in this data.

We did not take into consideration purchase location”

So in other words, this means that this graph is only as good as the data given. For your review:
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_Xbox360_PS3_Wii_Reliability_0809.pdf
Also, that means that this graph, that you are very proud of, is only as good as to the people who reported it to SquareTrade. Since the sample is only out of reported faults to SquareTrade, can the failure rate be higher? I would have to say yes. Only because, as a good company, they stated where they got their data from and left the disclaimer about it.
Now from your article :
“The study admits that it might be missing a big part of the picture. Most reports of hardware failures are aimed directly at Microsoft, meaning that SquareTrade isn't seeing a good amount of data. I don't think the 360 will ever shake its image as the console that breaks, but this could be a good sign for Microsoft, even if in the end, the upshot of the study is that the 360 is still decidedly the winner when it comes to hardware failures: only 2.7% of Wii owners surveyed had hardware failures compared to 10% for the PS3 and 23.7% for the 360.”
So then what does this tell me, it tells me that you really shouldn’t just read an article and say it’s true; it means you should see if you can find the source of the information, read it, and then state what you think is correct. If you look at the report, it’s about all 3 consoles, Wii, 360 and PS3, but as I stated already the new report has not been released yet so when that comes out, I will re-track any of the misleading statements at that time.
Over all this being said and done, the only thing you have stated is that I am a liar. Yet the proof you used to discredit anything I said has been looked at and been found to have some holes.
As for what Sony did, never did I say that it wasn’t bad; I just said that people need to stop blowing it out of proportion. As Jaxel made very clear in a post here before Compromised and Stolen have different meanings; people just have the tendency to think that they are the same. How many people here understands the amount of time it takes to go through a possible, couple billion lines of server logs to see how the hackers attacked and compromised the information on that server? Now who knows Sony’s network infrastructure that has been reporting on the events that have happened?
So let’s give a simple scenario; If Sony has 4 servers, that houses 10 applications that are being used 24 hours a day, how much data do you think this can create in one day? Kind of hard to figure out, you know why? It’s because you need to account for what each application does, what data is produces and then you need to see if it needs to store the data on the server and how many times does it store that data, also you need to account for the possibilities backups and shadow copies, so how much could that be? I will tell you this, I don’t know, and it’s really a rough process to even get an idea of how much could be there. So what does this prove? That it take time to figure out how someone breaks into something, what they got into, did they take anything, and what was really taken.
The only people who might know this are the people, who are helping Sony in this case. It’s all 100% speculation that people are using by all the media information that people claim is true. The only ones who know are Sony themselves and no company, no matter to whom would reveal their network to anyone since that would be like committing Seppuku. If anything, they only revealed their inventory on what they had so that they can begin to update all that needs to be updated.
Next, Sony is partially to blame, that’s it. It’s funny that how people won’t mention that the other half of the blame is to the hackers themselves. To fuck the company, they chose to fuck the people. Now if you think about it, if they had as much access as stated, they would go for a better piece of the pie. If they really wanted to prove out how bad the security was, then they would to head into the servers with customer data and more, they could have gotten company data and made a killing off it. The point is that the Hackers did this, the Hacker said fucked everyone, and it will be the Hackers that will continue to laugh as we all blame Sony, Edios, whoever else got hacked.
I didn’t realize how bad corporations do this type of corner cutting until this IT job. We have multiple contracts which have data from research to personal information that run across the networks that we support. All this data is stored on servers which doesn’t use firewall protection on the server itself, but instead they have other measures in place to stop all possible intrusion. So the question should be is what did they have in place and how did it get bypassed.
Corporations always tend to do this and it’s becoming a constant in the universe it seems. Most people never know it until something like this breach happens. So, who says that Microsoft, IBM, Apple, Heinz, Pepsi, and other major companies around the world don’t do it? Right now, I am pretty sure that they are all updating their security infrastructure all because of what happened to Sony, and why do you think that they are doing that?
It’s time for all people to read, understand and then make an educated analysis by doing the research themselves and not let the media or internet make the decisions for them. Will we know what exactly happened? Of course not, but I do think Sony has learned from this and that they will slowly, regain the people’s faith in them, but this will take a very long time.
Finally, I do hope Ghengis John, you don’t take anything here to heart. I really hope you don’t. I like a good argument, and do not like to back down easily, so I will say it has been fun.

Finally, I do hope Ghengis John, you don’t take anything here to heart. I really hope you don’t. I like a good argument, and do not like to back down easily, so I will say it has been fun.
KIT, I'm fine if you are. If I argue with somebody and they argue right back I start to like them. And at that point my heart's not in it anymore.

PSN is back up. it took three weeks. you know what still doesn't work? that 360 in my closet...and the other one that i sold for $75 because it died.

YAY ^_^. I never played on PSN before this whole disaster happened so I dont know what I'm celebrating about but it still makes me happy :)

PSN is back up. it took three weeks. you know what still doesn't work? that 360 in my closet...and the other one that i sold for $75 because it died.
You know what hasn't shut down on me for an entire month because some lil online scrubs wanted to play hero? Xboxlive. :)

I played for the first time in a very long time against a guy by the handle "GrassLobster."

Ah, sweet, sweet memories of losing to lows I can't seem to react to, no matter how much I know I can block them.

Yes, you're correct. Entire world is offline again because of heavy traffic Sony is experiencing atm.

But still,they should have expected that...

My PSN didn't go down at any time after it came back up. A friend in the UK has been online the whole time too. I noticed Ring_PL going on and off though. It's probably just in some areas, or perhaps just sporadic.

Once you log off you cannot log in again. I tried to fix my NAT and then suddenly the message about maintenance appeared, Now I can't sign in. I will try tomorrow, it seems they have some problems again. I also tried to play SC4 but it froze everytime I clicked "player match".

not sure what u mean exactly there Ring, I did have an issue with SC4 actually, kept saying no session found, so I pressed circle, and when I pressed player match to go back to it, it froze, then said network error... Well, it was filled with laggy American-looking players anyway lol, had a few games with Robdom88 and a couple of others not sure where he went...

Couldnt get back past that freeze, tried signing in and out, PS3 off and on, stop and startd the game but to avail, resorted to played MVC3 till now... Damned blisters. Well at least PSN works for me, for now...

Back